Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

Randy, that was my thought about it being the same car. Phil drove the car for Red at one time. Maybe David knows or I may see Red in the next day or so. I think Red kept the motor and trans out of the 54 and the car went to somebody.....................

Or........Maybe the 54 became the 14??????????????

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

midget, you may be right about george's tail section all i remember was this was the only time my brother and i sat on the backstretch and as we entered the front row of the stands a car came flying by us between the track and catch fence, i think we reached the top row in 3 leaps, never spilling a drop of coke! :lol:

david where are the pics you speak about above i dont see any or a link?

The Texas Speed Zone software is unable to shrink pics to an appropriate size so they have to be re-sized before they are posted. I have opened up the size limits to the maximum permitted by the software, but some are still too big for the software to handle.

Please try to resize the pics so they fit the screen. The simplest way to resize is to use the "Paint" program that is located in the Windows Accessories. If you need help in learning how to resize, let me know and I'll try to walk you through it.

Nick

midget, you may be right about george's tail section all i remember was this was the only time my brother and i sat on the backstretch and as we entered the front row of the stands a car came flying by us between the track and catch fence, i think we reached the top row in 3 leaps, never spilling a drop of coke! :lol:

Nightmoves, he could very well be right, I just remember it being a somewhat similiar appearing car, but admittedly, I don't remember the Car # or whether or not it had anything to do with Pancho Locklin. I just wish I could remember all of Pancho Locklin's Modifieds.

PANCHO'S CARS WERE 16 THEN 9 THEN 6. THOSE ARE THE ONES I REMEMBER. IF YOU LOOK AT A PREV. POST THERE IS A WHITE SPRINT CAR/SUPER NUMBER 6 THAT PANCHO OWNED AND I BELIEVE RONNIE CHUMLEY DROVE.

THE 14 CAR BECAME THE BLUE AND YELLOW 54 THEN DAD PAINTED IT BLUE AND SILVER AFTER MUNSON WNET THREW THE WALL AT MEYER BETWEEN 3 AND 4 PRACTICING FOR THE LIBERTY BELL 300. AS FOR THE #6 I POSTED (WHITE AND RED) IT BELONGED TO PONCHO AND DAD SAID HE THOUGHT RONNIE CHUMLY WAS DRIVING IT THEN.

I most certainly think you are right about Chumley driving the pictured modified above #6.

George's car based on my memory ( which is sometimes questionable ) does reflect in my mind as having the unusual large Spinter Tail on it and was plain white.

If I recall correctly, George was driving it somewhere between the years of 69-71?

The last year he drove the old Blue and White coupe #24 was 1968.

MORE...

I spoke with Red one night after the races at Meyer Speedway right behind the main stretch.

The Blue & Silver #54 Modified was being strapped down to the trailer after it had been damaged in the feature race.

He had pulled it out of the track area and parked the rig behind the stretch..got out and started to secure it.

I remember the body was cocked somewhat sideways on the frame. I was always a fan of those coupes and was telling Red how unfortunate the coupe had been damaged.

Well, I already had A fEW BeERs under ME as We lOOkeD over tHe dAmAGeD mOD..IfIEd aaaaaand I oFfEreD mY hElp to ..looad anD sTraP er doWn

Red was just sorta quiet during the manuever but, I could tell he had a lot of work ahead and it was on his mind.

Darn, I can still see it like it was yesterday..

What fun days..

OK Guys,

I have a quick and easy way of resizing any photos you might want to post to the forum that might need attention to resizing.

It's easy with the right programs.

If you need assistance I will try and help. Just send them to me (Preferrably 1 at a time ) and I will resize them and mail them back to you for posting..

All photos should be resized to 640 JPEG and then saved at 100% for perfect posting on this forum.

We need to give Nick a break..

Jim,

I think #14 became #54 as we look at the date of photo of #14 dated 1964??

I believe the posting above clears up the matter also..

None the less, wish I had one tucked in a garage somewhere to marvel at..

The history of these old modifieds are awesome!

NIGHTMOVES..

Yep,... maybe that was you that made me spill mine as we all leaped toward the top of the stands..

That was pretty Boogaty Boogaty the night he launched the NASA Modified alright..! :rolleyes:

post-3-1213712927_thumb.jpg

HERE IS A PIC OF THE 14 WHEN PHIL WAS DRIVING.

post-3-1213712938_thumb.jpg

HERE IS A PIC OF DAD AFTER HE PAINTED THE 14 BLUE AND SILVER. NOTICE THE TIRE TRUCK BEHIND IT. THAT BELONGED TO TONY BARCELONA AND YOU CAN SEE THE LEFT FRONT FENDER OF PHILS USAC LATE MODEL.

post-3-1213712945_thumb.jpg

HERE IS A GOOD ONE. THE 24 GROGE NASH, 7 BILL BLUMRICK, 5 WALTER BALLARD, 14 PHIL CRONIN, CANT REMEMBER WHO WAS IN THE 51 CAR. TURN 1 MEYER

post-3-1213712957_thumb.jpg

TONY BARCELONA DRIVING THE BLUE AND YELLOW 54 AT MEYER

The #51 Modified at Meyer Spdwy/Houston is most likely Charlie Ritter. I didn't remember Walter Ballard in a car like the #5 pictured. Any more info on that car from '65? The modified body is very similiar in size and shape to former M J Burton #5 Modified from '62/'63, but the number is a different style. If I remember correctly, Bill Synott raced to former Burton car in '64, but I don't recall what number he used. Absolutely great historic pictures of unique cars and characters.

HERE IS IS ANOTHER OLD MODIFIED AND I BELIEVE IT WAS DRIVEN BY BILY WADE.

post-3-1213726313_thumb.jpg

RED GARNER AND TONY BARCELONE - THE BLUE AND YELLOW 54 JUST A FEW WEEKS BEFORE MUNSON DROVE IT THRU THE WALL PRACTICING FOR THE LIBERTY BELL 300.

PICS OF THE BLUE AND YELLOW 54 AFTER MUNSON DROVE THRU THE WALL BETWEEN 3 AND 4 AT MEYER WARMING THE CAR UP FOR TONY PRIOR TO QUALIFING FOR THE LIBERTY BELL 300. DAD SURE WORKED HIS A%# OFF PUTTING HER BACK TOGETHER. IT THEN BECAME THE BLUE AND SILVER 54 BECAUSE DAD SAID BLUE AND YELLOW MADE GREEN AND HE DID NOT LIKE GREEN OR 13. I THINK ITS A RACIN THING.LOL

MORE OF THE 54 AFTERMATH AT THE LIBERTY BELL. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT NEW JOHNNY KLEVENHAGEN (SHERIFF) CHECK OUT THE OLD BLACK FORD IN THE BACK GROUND. THAT WAS HIS UNDERCOVER CAR BACK IN THE DAY AND IT HAULED A@*.

post-2090-1213724817_thumb.jpg

post-2090-1213724995_thumb.jpg

post-2090-1213725412_thumb.jpg

post-2090-1213725668_thumb.jpg

post-2090-1213725685_thumb.jpg

post-2090-1213725726_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213726201_thumb.jpg

One of the most hazzardous things I have ever seen at a spdwy were those poles sticking up that high. I felt that way from the time I first saw them, and always wondered why they were installed. Their hoped for safety factor did not match their potential danger factor.

We did tow bar for awhile. One of the funniest things was Bubba Remling Tow barring his #17 Bronco to the track. He had a 54 Chevy that was his driver/tow car. One night after the races, we saw Bubba pulled over at the HL&P power station. We offered to leave our car and use the Hooker truck to take his car home, then come back and get ours. He said,"Naw, I'll just double end'em". With that he dropped the tow bar, hooked it up to the 54 Chevy and the other end hooked up to the back of his Pontiac race car. The Chevy had failed so off he went driving the race car, towing the Chevy. He made it all the way home and the following week, we sold him one of our rebuilt transmissions for the Chevy.

Speaking of poles, you may not remember this, but I sure do!

Better view.

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gall...cs/scan0002_001

post-4772-1213736851_thumb.jpg

That's the only thing in that picture I recognized, along with the Washington Motors lettering. Was he taking a nap? Is that his car? And is it the former #53 Car Billy Wade drove that was the #55/Buddy Evans Car before that? Also, any info on the pictured #5 Car identified as Walter Ballard? Answer all 5 questions correctly and surprise me!

I remember that ole blue 4 dr Chevy well. He lived on Lockett behind where NABISCO used to be, across Almeda Rd from V A Hospital, so that was a pretty good distance for the race car to tow the tow vehicle. I assume you are talking about S Main @ Hiram Clark. So maybe about 8 miles?

This post is in reference to post # 213!

Also, looking at the over the wall crashed #54 Car hooked up to a wrecker, pictured from the spdwy looking towards S Main, bottom right appears to be an old friend of yours. He's probably wondering if he can straighten out the damage in one day or two.

Hey, Larry and Gingerbreadman, this is a great forum. Man talk about a lot of memories. Wish I could find a few pictures with my dad in them. We only had a few pictures from playland park and either mom or dad loaned them to Don Anderson. Although he says he returned them we have searched the house and can't find them. So Denny do you have any Playland pictures of the 3 or 33 cars you can post?

Darrell Koebelen

We did tow bar for awhile. One of the funniest things was Bubba Remling Tow barring his #17 Bronco to the track. He had a 54 Chevy that was his driver/tow car. One night after the races, we saw Bubba pulled over at the HL&P power station. We offered to leave our car and use the Hooker truck to take his car home, then come back and get ours. He said,"Naw, I'll just double end'em". With that he dropped the tow bar, hooked it up to the 54 Chevy and the other end hooked up to the back of his Pontiac race car. The Chevy had failed so off he went driving the race car, towing the Chevy. He made it all the way home and the following week, we sold him one of our rebuilt transmissions for the Chevy.

I remember that ole blue 4 dr Chevy well. He lived on Lockett behind where NABISCO used to be, across Almeda Rd from V A Hospital, so that was a pretty good distance for the race car to tow the tow vehicle. I assume you are talking about S Main @ Hiram Clark. So maybe about 8 miles?

That's the place. Probably about eight miles. And yes, Bubba, his Mom and Dad lived behind the Nabisco bakery. Plus, that wasn't the only time he did that.

:D:D:D

Daaammmnnn, six deuces on a log manifold!!! No wonder he went to injectors.....................

:D:D:D

I was big into the six deuce setup. Joe wasn't sure about it until he got behind the wheel. I first saw Smokey Run them on a SB Chevy in a CAN-AM car, he was putting a whipping on them. I still build them for a few rodders that just want something different, They are a pain in the butt to tune and sync, but nothing runs better when you get them right.

[resized by Nick Holt, 6/20/08]

post-3-1213984183_thumb.jpg

Here's a current project I have going,

post-3-1213984194_thumb.jpg

This one I built for a guy up in Ennis.

Bill White was (Hell, still is) a master six deuce tuner, I honestly think he preferred carbs over injectors. I just don't think Bill ever wrapped his arms around injectors. He ran them because it was the thing to do, but if you asked him, I'll bet he's a carb man to this day. Flow Bench engineers will TELL you that injectors will always out perform carbs, but I've seen some setups that will SHOW you otherwise. I've built several motors for guys to drop in T-Buckets with Six Deuces on them. You can still purchase the Offy for SBC's.

post-3-1213984206_thumb.jpg

This is my personal favorite, I built almost 20 years ago for my cousin Kirk. I still have one more of these manifolds, I am going to build one up for my Grandson's '35 five door, I am building for him to drive to High School.

Man, the old coupe with the Hemi is awesome. Truly a work of art. I would drive it just like that, Resto-Rod!! Don't give me no shiney paint on that bad boy! Just old red or gray hot rod primer! Red oxide primer!! Damn right!!!

Hey Darrell,

You may need to help out identifying some of the posted pictures. And, the last time I talked to Denny, he was having trouble locating/obtaining some old pictures. But, help me out on the #3 Car & #33 Car from Playland Spdwy/Houston. I attended some of those '50s era races, but only remember a few cars/drivers.

Hey Larry,

Dad's first car was a 39 Ford #33 and of course Don Burton drove for him. After that they went to the 32 Ford Coupe #3. It was blue with a white top. I remember one night Don tangled with someone and barrell rolled it 5 times destroying the car. So they built another one. That was the last one. I don't know who he sold the car to or if it got wrecked. Let me know which cars you are interested in knowing about. I was really little but still remember some of them. Do you know of any video's from the 70's of the bronco's at Meyer.? Good to hear from you guys again.

D

Archived