Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

Larry,

I believe you are right.

I was looking at the side shot of the #7 Modified and you are right. The 5 windowed coupes were converted to 3 windowed coupes like #7.

Depending on the fabricator building the modifieds, most took a 7" section out of the length of the coupe section by removing the top section of the door post ( The beginning slope )and the bottom portion( where the slope ended at the bottom of the door). With this being done, the two halves were joined back together again. It was shortened and the door post was gone.

Basically the body was sawed in half or mid section removed where the door post met top and bottom and then welded back. This gave the side window the gradual slope transition.

One of the better modifications was Charlie Schilds' #1 coupe. The car looks like it came from the factory after he altered the coupe. and it looked great!

Charlie Schild gave me a quick run down on the old #1 modified one time and also mentioned that he had sectioned the side of the mod by taking out approximately 6" for the channeled look, thus eliminating the "High Boy" look.

If you will note, the grill of Charlie's 38 Chevy was also shortened to accomodate the sectioned body height!

Another interesting note was most of the coupes were narrowed about 13" in addition to the shortened body in length.

This information seemed to be the theory most builders used in my conversations through the time years both then and now.

In summary, the coupes were narrowed and shortend by making 4 major cuts.

The #7 Modified looks to me as though the entire back window was removed and the rear portion is actually the rear part of the door post slanting down at the rear of the side window.

Other coupes simply sawed out the door post without shortening the body. It is evident it was a quick way to make a three window coupe out of a five.. These coupes were not as eye catching as the more planned coupes.

Still others carried the modifications to extremes such as Jr. Norman's modified that was really narrowed and shortened as pictured on this site. The number 39 Orange and White coupe

I am sure each builder had their own ideas as with the racing world, but some were more creative in building these "Mighty Modifieds" in the form of artwork.. ;)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randy,

In late season '61, Buddy Evans came out with a modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car, but it apparently had been shortened ahead of the post, and it was left in. It was orange, Car #55, and fast. He also raced it in '62, but I have no recall beyond that. I am still in awe of those Modifieds, and the '64 built #1 Car was among the very best of that type and in that decade. I would assume Bob Stiegel had helped in the building, and I know he was around when the "BRONCO" was built.

Larry,

Good feedback!

I can't recall the Evans Modified for some reason but, I do recall the orange 38 Chevy that Billy Wade drove in 61-62 that still had the door post.

It was also pictured on the front cover of the Meyer Speedway Program that I have posted in the 1962 season.

The old #53 was a fast one..and Billy Wade drove the FIRE out of it! :huh:

post-8338-1219208074_thumb.jpg

post-4772-1219240177_thumb.jpg

Imagine finding somthing like this in your Buddy's shop!!

"Hey guys look what I found!!!! I met with Ed Perkins Friday to take mesurements off his car cuz the 427 car was copied from it . When I saw the Crown 7 car siting in his small garage I was in awe . Couldn't take my eyes off it.This is a real Indy roadster. Hasn't ben touched since it last raced.

A little bettewr pic............................

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gall...s/Indy_Roadster

Jim,

That's awesome!

Bud is right, this classic needs some air and sunshine with some loving care to revive it.

What are the plans for that one?

Very nice peace of history here!

Yeah, Jakdad. I've looked at that site many times. It's a good one. Incidentially, I am reminded that roadster racing was once really big out on the west coast back in the 40's and 50's. In fact, the SCRA was originally the CRA and stood for the "California Roadster Association".

Has anyone come across a site with pics of the roadster racing that went on out there? I've looked around the net several times, but have never found anything.

We have had a few of the Indy Roadsters come down in the 60s to race at Meyer. They had been converted to modifieds but were still beautiful cars. They came in for our holiday races like the Liberty Bell 300. I know what you are talking about on the California Roadsters but haven't seen any of those in many years.

Definitely Bill White driving that big block, I think that car belong to a set of Brothers, had a Spanish Surname, that lived in the area, or possibly out near Goliad. Let me think a little more it may come to me. I will print it out and will see Bill in a couple of weeks and ask him, if I don't remember before then. He'll remember as if it was yesterday I am sure.

That pic Budman posted came from a collection I have scanned that belongs to Brad Bush and his family. It was previously discussed on this forum, and here is the link to that thread. Scroll down for the answer to the owner.

Link

• 3 months later...

Modified Fever

We are always looking for "Texas Treasures" to post to this site but some of the photos are becoming hard to find.

Jim and I were commencing back and forth on email and he sent me a few shots of this modified from Michigan.

Thought I would post a couple of these photos in efforts to keep the thread alive and see what the boys up North were running in the mid-century.

This Modified ran from 1960-thru 1982 in Michigan.

It looks like something Bill White would drive down here in Texas..

post-8338-1229317593.jpg

post-8338-1229317609.jpg

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

I found this old photo sometime back while surfing the web.

Not sure where it was taken, but the photo speaks for itself

The red coupe looks to be a 36' Chevy and maybe several more on the track..

post-8338-1231477114.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure who built "Cowboys" modified but, I was once told it was built for Buddy Rackly who drove the number 33 Maroon 37 Ford full bodied modified stock a year or two before.

Matter of fact, Buddy won the 150 lap feature in that car and also set a track record.

Cowboy's modified was one of the new styles that was a cut down version from the old 5 window coupes that ran in the early 60's.

I think Buddy decided not to run after the newly built modified was prepared for his new ride.

Cowboy either bought it or was chosen to drive it the best I remember.

I think he's talking about two different cars Jim. From what I remember, in '61, Buddy Rackley raced a full body/frame '37/'38 Ford Modified Stock Car and won the Labor Day 150 at the 1/2 mile Meyer Spdwy/Houston. I assume he used a SB Chevy V8. It was painted maroon and # 33. After '61, the first full season for the Modifieds on the 1/2 mile, the Ford body/frame/suspension became less and less popular, and the modified body/framed '37/'38 Chevy became the car of choice for the Modified Stock Cars. My only memory of the modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modified that was also maroon # 33, is in '66 when Jimmy "Cowboy" Johnson raced it. I believe "Cowboy" raced Bronco Stock Cars in '64/'65, and possibly '63, at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. :blink:

Hey Guys,

Larry, you are right. Buddy drove the 37 Ford in 61 and to my knowledge, never drove the 38 Chevy

If I recall correctly, Buddy last drove in 1962 or 63.

Time elapsed some since then but, seems like the 38 Chevy was at the track in early spring of 63 and had been prepared for Buddy. The gossip in the pits over heard was "Yeah it was build for Rackley..but he decided not to drive at Meyer anymore" or something of that nature.

The car was sitting in the pits the entire night and was not driven during the nights running. After the races, a wrecker backed up to it and winched it up from the rear bumper and took it out of the pits. I remember while they were winching it up, one of the pit crewman reached inside the window and cranked it up. I was standing right near it and smiled as the cam was singing a tune like a monster had just been woken up :P

It's possible the car set idle for a period of time and maybe "Cowboy bought it later..shucks I can't remember the exact details except by the conversations in the pits.

It might have been right around the time when MJ decided to go Boat Racing if you remember. Probably was later in time but that sparked another thought about MJ's racing turning to boats.

Again, they might not of known what they were talkin about either.

What I'd do to go back in time just one Saturday night at Meyerland and know what I know now..

It's a wonder we can remember even this much.. :huh:

Archived