Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And don't forget Bill's brother Ronnie, who was as good as any of them. Ronnie stayed closer to home than Bill. Keith and Ronnie were a lot alike in their racing; They raced closer to home, and wandered here and there when they felt like it.

Bill is like Paul; find wheels and a motor and a track, they are there, anywhere, anytime.

• 1 month later...

HERE ARE SOME OLD SUPERS FROM THE MEYER. MOBILE, JACKSON, 5-FLAG DAYS. 99 WILLE MIGGAL, 122 HUGH RICHARDS, 24 BUTCH HARRIS AND 45 IVAL COOPER.

SORRY, 60 IS BILLY PERRIN AND 6 IS RONNIE CHUMLEY, I WILL GET THE 24 AND 122 IN ANOTHER POST.

[reformatted by Nick Holt, 6/13/08

post-3-1213369447_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213369457_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213369467_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213369477_thumb.jpg

BILLY PERRIN IN RED GARNERS 4 FALCON FENDERED SUPER IN 1968 AT MEYER

post-3-1213369088_thumb.jpg

And that was one bad 427 Ford in that Hot Rod!!!!

Hey David, is that your Dad studying the 6 car...............................

I BELIVE YOU ARE CORRECT JIM ABOUT THE FORD MOTOR, IT WAS A HOLMAN MOODY CREATION AND THEN DAD WENT TO THE 427 CHEVY BIG BLOCK THEN TO THE SMALL BLOCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON AND NEVER LOOKED BACK. AS THE STORY GOES IN 68 HE STARTED WITH THE 427 AND HAD TO SEND IT BACK FOR REBUILD AT MID SEASON LEADING THE POINTS AT HOUSTON AND FRED FURLOW HAD A 327 3 DUECE SET UP BUILT BY LUTHER THAT HE LET DAD USE BECAUSE FRED'S #7 CAR HAD BEEN DESTROYED IN A WRECK WITH BILL BLUMRICK BEHIND THE WHEEL. DAD PUT THE 327 SBC IN AND SET NEW TRACK RECORDS AND THEY ENDED UP WINNING ALL BUT 5 OR 6 FEATURES THAT YEAR. BILLY PERRIN WAS THE DRIVER OF THE OLD 4 FALCON FENDERED CAR.

OLD CIRCLE TRACKER

Thought I'd insert this one for you guys..

Supposedly the owner of this classic, restored the old sedan racer some time back and we were thrilled to see it at our classic car show.

Early day racing simular to the days at Playland and many other 1/4 Miler tracks.

The owner made a "Driver" out of it and made it street legal so he could not only grab a few head turners but enjoy the ride as well. A 34 Ford Stocker with headlights.

Not a trailer queen, but still glad to see it saved!

The old stocker was found in a wrecking yard with a tree actually growing through it.

Great find and thanks for preserving this time machine!

post-8338-1213417354_thumb.jpg

i may be wrong ,but the #6 super looks like the one george nash went over the wall with , retrott do you remember ? B) did anyone notice the engine in the# 99 car ? bet that was a hand full

Nightmoves99,

I was wondering that myself. I remember seeing George Nash go over exiting turn two, high in the air and upside down. Looks a lot like the same car to me. Kind of a Sprint/Silver Crown Car look, but yet somewhat a little different.

As for the Willie Migl #99 Super Modified, I don't seem to remember anything about it.

Jim,

Not sure about the 7x old timer. The owner did take it apart and blasted the frame and body before repainting the paint scheme, and I can only guess he put it back the way he found it.

Good question though..

Get a load of that front bumper that we all remembered on some of those old Playland cars.

OK, someone refresh my memeory here..

The #14 Meyerland Modified looks to have the same front nose as the Blue & Silver #54 car that Phil Cronin drove in 1967.

There are pictures of Phil sitting in the #54 on this forum somewhere and the nose piece looks the same.

Did Red build Cronin's car as well?? Or, is it the same modified Phil drove later.. I can't remember for sure.. <_<

I do know that is a great picture of #14 and brings back great memories of those modifieds of Meyerland!

FURTHER NOTE: #6

The #6 Modified does look very familiar to George's famous exit rocket off the track. However, if I recall correctly the tail section on George's Sprinter was larger than the one pictured..

I don't recall the paint job on the rear being in this form on George's modified. Seems it was just plain white?

But, there again it's been many years..

Archived