Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

Thos were Ardun heads, which made a flathead Ford a hemi. I saw that car at Longhorn years ago, someone restored it, once you hear that sound you won't forget it, someone in SA has a roadster with those heads on it also,I saw it at Rooties several years back.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I remember Ronnie Chumley was the main guy behind the restoration of the Foyt 2.

I also remember a story about the engine not wanting to start after they rebuilt it. After some futility, they made a call to Foyt, who told them they might have the cam out of time. He told them to see if the cam had a grinding mark on it, which it did. He told them to use the grinding mark to time the cam, and the engine fired up and ran perfectly. After all those years, Foyt still remembered that little tidbit of info.

I don't know where the car is, but a call to Ronnie Chumley in Magnolia might be a start.

I have a very vague memory of being at the races at Playland Park Spdwy/Houston when it was dirt, probably about '53. All I remember is a car turning over in the destruction derby, possibly driven by Norman Pierce, and what was called a steeplechase with the race course including parts of the infield.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the same way about this thread, may it never die! It's has been so encouraging to see that other know that Bill was one the greatest drivers that Texas has ever produced. He was the best I have ever seen and this is my 38th year of racing or spectating.

I vividly remember at HOT in the early 70's, all us kids would run to Bill's pit after the races. He was a still is bigger than life! He didn't know most our names but would always take the time to greet all of us. If he didn't know your name he would always address you as "Shorty".

One thing has become obvious to the credit of this forum. Bill White has had a huge impact on Texas racing history.

I had the pleasure of being schooled by Bill White on the track quite a bit. I learned more about racing by looking at the rear of his car, than anything else I have ever done. Back in those days adjust-ability wasn't much on those cars, but to watch the adjust-ability of a driver was something to behold. Bill could drive off in a turn full out from five different angles and come out first nearly every time. He use to say, "Grandma can make it down the straight away, the race is won in the turns. Bill could pass below you, above you, or through you, take your choice. And it wasn't the equipment, even though his was tops, he would switch cars with you and still school you, he could just flat out get up on the wheel.

If Bill would have had the backing to tour nationally full time, places like DuQoin, Knoxville, Eldora, etc. would have been building statues of him out front of the place. When he'd travel to Mobile, or JIS, those guys down there would just cringe, because they knew it was going to be a long day. I never rand stock cars, I was strictly and open wheeler, and I have run sprint cars against the best there ever was, and Bill White was at the top of the list in my book. Kinda like Arsenio Hall would say, He was one of those "things that make you go Hmmmmm!"

Ronnie was a great drive, in 1965 he was the hot shoe all over the nation, I think he even held the national record for 1/2 mile ovals that year. He use to run down in Texas and OK under the name Bucky Buckholtz. He ran USAC under the name Bob Hodges. We all ran under fake names back then because the powers to be at USAC were real pricks and at the time did not permit USAC drivers to run in non-sanctioned events. It was a stupid politics thing, Lee Cade held five different licenses at one time. I had three myself. Heck we were towing across the country, and sometimes needed food money and would catch a pickup race at a fairgrounds or something to eat. Those same politics are the reason Bill White never raced big time USAC, because Bill raced anytime anywhere he damn well pleased, and wasn't going to hide behind some silly pseudonym. You just had to know how Bill was, what you seen is what you got. If Bill would have only played the game he might have had his name and face on the side of that Borg-Warner trophy, he was just that good. Just a natural talent, a seat of your pants driver. Bill may or may not admit it now, but I know he knows that if he'd just played the game, he would be a legend all over the nation. But he IS a legend as far as I am concerned, screw USAC.

Anyway Ronnie knew the rear hot shoes were down in Texas and Oklahoma, so he towed down here to make a descent payday and race some of the really greats. He was Killed at the Tulsa Fairgrounds in July of '66 in a USAC car. A real loss. Ronnie was a great guy. That Deuce you see belonged to a guy named Harold Purdy, the called it the "Purdy Deuce", what's funny though, down in the south they thought they were calling it the "Pretty Deuce", it was kind of hilarious. The rednecks would say, "What's so damn purdy about that thing, it ain't got no flames on it or nothin'?" Lee use to piss his pants laughing when he heard stuff like that. You just had to be there.

Mark, I just want to take a moment to say thanks for all the great pics, videos and stories you've posted on here. This stuff is priceless. I know I speak for many others when I say its genuinely appreciated. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us. While I'm at it, thanks to all of you who post this great material on here. It is now more than any of us could have imagined it could be when we started this section as a single thread nearly 3 years ago. When you look back through all these threads now, there is some truly amazing material on here. I knew it was all out there somewhere. We just needed a place to put it all together. Thanks also to the folks at TXSZ for providing us with this place where we can all come together and share and enjoy the material in an honorable and respectful manner, especially for those depicted on here who are no longer with us.

post-4758-1206064141_thumb.jpg

Here's another #1. I took this picture of a couple of years ago at San Antonio. This restored racer ran at Old Pan American Speedway in San Antonio in the 1950's. It was driven by Buddy Jerkins of San Antonio. Bill and Buddy did a lot of racing together.

Budman - thought you'd like to see this photo in case you haven't yet.....

Thanks 302. That of course is Buddy Jerkins. One of my all time favorites. The thing I liked about his racing is in my opinion he was one of the smartest drivers out there. He seemed always to be able to keep a cool head and be so focused on exactly what he was out there for. I see so many drivers totally loose focus on trying to improve their position and get distracted because someone bumps them or pushes them a little too hard. Those "Hot Headed" drivers are seldom very successful.

Buddy was the cool, calculating type and was always looking for that little opening or gap to shoot through. He seemed to know what other drivers were going to do before they did. He knew when to make his move and just as importantly, when not to. It was just great fun watching him. Today, when I watch Cary Stapp, I'm reminded a lot of Buddy Jerkins. I really mean that.

While in attendance at Pan American Spdwy/San Antonio in '66, I seem to recall a '57 Chevrolet Stock Car that had showed up while still being built. It appeared to be without any floorboard, and I don't recall any firewall, but I do believe the car was allowed to race. And, I believe the driver was Buddy Jerkins, just not sure. Maybe someone can enlighten me regarding the July 4th 200 Lap race that year. I'm thinking '66, but it could have been '67, since I/we were there both years.

Thanks 302. That of course is Buddy Jerkins. One of my all time favorites. The thing I liked about his racing is in my opinion he was one of the smartest drivers out there. He seemed always to be able to keep a cool head and be so focused on exactly what he was out there for. I see so many drivers totally loose focus on trying to improve their position and get distracted because someone bumps them or pushes them a little too hard. Those "Hot Headed" drivers are seldom very successful.

Buddy was the cool, calculating type and was always looking for that little opening or gap to shoot through. He seemed to know what other drivers were going to do before they did. He knew when to make his move and just as importantly, when not to. It was just great fun watching him. Today, when I watch Cary Stapp, I'm reminded a lot of Buddy Jerkins. I really mean that.

I'm sure Cary Stapp would be honored that you'd pay him such a high compliment Budman. Looking back, I tend to agree with your assessment of Buddy's skills. I don't recall (and I'm certain someone will disagree) Buddy being an overly aggressive driver. He was the kind of driver that never really got rattled like you say. He was an opportunistic driver that took advantage of those situations that would advance him on the track.

In fact, many of the drivers I recall seeing week after week weren't that assertive. Guys like Leroy Brooks, Glenn Schwabe, Paul Horelka, Tex Horn, Jerry Spencer, Steve Klestinic, Jerry Stanley, Cal Gustafson, Larry Voight to name a few were all very "docile" on the track in the heat of battle. They rarely were involved in altercations that were unbecoming of the sport - in fact, they epitomize the sport back then. They all let their skills and their equipment do the talking for them.

Back when Pan Am would run a 75 lap feature once a month, Jimmy Finger spun Brooks on the last lap between three and four and both spun into the infield. If my memory serves me correctly, Finger ended up second and Brooks fourth. Later that night in pits, as a bewildered and saddened 10 year old, I recall someone asking Leroy how he felt about the incident and he politely shrugged it off as racing. No fist-a-cuffs, no bad mouthin'. Just good racing.

If only it were that way today...

• 3 weeks later...

This is an article from 1974 Waco Trib. The Super photo is the car Bill was driving that year at Navasota. Although that is not Bill in the car, (Bill was still wearing a silver open face helmet with a bill and goggles) it was taken at Navasota. and I agree it was a beautiful track.

post-3-1208258766_thumb.jpg

post-3-1208258775_thumb.jpg

An interesting side note: If you can make it out a guy named Keith Green won the Hobby Class heat and Main. He got started Mid-season 74 in a car that usually finished mid pack. His first lap ever was respectively about a second faster than any other Hobby Car. And that's a whole new thread in it's self.

Thanks Txtom, 97Car and Bobby. I knew what they were but just couldn't remember the name of them.............. dang, I'm sure gettin' old! :lol:

Does anyone know who has that car now?

And a lot of those old Flatheads had to have a set of Belond Headers!!!

Archived