Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randy & Jim,

I'm not saying the '37/'38 Chevy modified body/frame Modified wasn't originally built for Buddy Rackley. I don't know either way. My point was that the car Buddy Rackley raced in '61 at Meyer Spdwy/Houston was a full bodied '37 Ford Modified Stock Car, and a different car from the #33 that Cowboy Johnson raced in the mid '60s at Meyer Spdwy/Houston.

Regarding Post #304,

From memory, Buddy Rackley drove the pink #58 Car, owned by Ebb Rose, in the mid '50s. It was a '32 Ford body/frame with a Chevy V8. The body/frame was not channeled, but the top was chopped. In '59/'60, I believe Buddy drove the Cates #1 Car, '32 Ford Coupe with a Chevy V8. It was red & white and/or brown & tan. Also, in '59/'60, the #58 Car was then owned and driven by M J Burton. The Cates #1 Car may have been driven in early '59 by Tim Cates and/or M J Burton. Both cars appear on various videos from Playland Spdwy/Houston, and the #58 Car also shows up on North Houston Spdwy video, more than likely driven at the time by Buddy Rackley. As for the #33 Modified Stock Car driven at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '61 by Buddy Rackley, the '37 Ford Coupe body appeared to have been not previously raced, but I don't know about the frame/engine/drivetrain. Some of those early '30s bodied/framed Modifieds from the Playland Spdwy days may have been updated with late '30s bodies to conform to the rule requiring '37 or newer cars for the Modified Stock Cars racing at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, beginning in '61.

Jim,

Larry is right.

To my memory, the 37 Maroon Ford Coupe that Buddy drove in 61 was a new car built the best I remember. It was a pretty solid car and looked to be a brand new ride. Don't beleive it came from Playland cause those cars were pretty banged up

The car was Maroon and had Yeller wheels! It was nicely built.

I remember after the 150 lap feature race, I had to touch the right front tire to see how warm it was.. :huh:

My other favorite 37 Ford Coupe was that of Billy Perrin in the "Tweedy Bird" number 6 painted Canary Yeller!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Jim,

Larry is right.

To my memory, the 37 Maroon Ford Coupe that Buddy drove in 61 was a new car built the best I remember. It was a pretty solid car and looked to be a brand new ride. Don't beleive it came from Playland cause those cars were pretty banged up

The car was Maroon and had Yeller wheels! It was nicely built.

I remember after the 150 lap feature race, I had to touch the right front tire to see how warm it was.. :huh:

My other favorite 37 Ford Coupe was that of Billy Perrin in the "Tweedy Bird" number 6 painted Canary Yeller!

Randy,

I recently talked to an old friend/neighbor of the owner/builder of #33 Modified, '37 Ford body/frame car driven in '61 by Buddy Rackley, and he confirmed it to be a new built car for the 1st season of Modified Stock Cars at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. My oldtimer memory has the name Faust ringing a bell, but I'm not sure. And yes, the Billy Perran #6 "Tweety Bird" Modified was also a very good looking car that ran well when not having problems. I also recall a '55 Chevy body/frame Modified that raced here that year, driven by Dub Rollins out of Corpus Christi. And, at least one Henry J body/frame Modified.

Larry,

The one Henry J Modified if I recall was Black with Gold numbers # 88 if I recall correctly.

Was that Roy or another driver?

On another subject, there was a Copper Colored old Ford coupe # 24 and the cartoon character Kwik Draw McGraw painted on it. Does that ring a bell?

I'm thinking around 1962-63 possibly..?

Tweety Bird Coupe

I remember seeing a photo one night after the mishap of the "Tweety" Coupe on it's roof.

The story I was told is that there was confussion at the start of the race between the turn four lights and the Flagman not in harmony in which either Chumley or Burton shoved a bumper up the rear of Tweety Bird and turned it over..

After climbing out of the twisitd yellow coupe, Billy headed toward the starter and deliverd a High Five to the flagman!

That was racing.. :rolleyes:

Randy,

The only Ford Coupe bodied #24 Modified that comes to mind from that era was driven by Walter Ballard. It was either copper or maroon as I recall. Not a beautiful car.

I believe the Henry J was driven by Dave Bierma, and I think it is the car you described. As I recall, that is the car that struck flagman George Tennison Jr, who was flagging from the speedway. The flag stand came later. It was an accident not of Dave's making, as he braked to avoid an incident in front of him and spun into George, as I remember it.

Larry,

I believe you are right. I remember that night when George T. jr was flagging from the track. I remember my dad saying how lucky he was that after he was hit he was thrown under the inside wall. Frotunately his head was turned sideways or otherwise he would have lost part of his head. Just going from memory here and what dad said. We were sitting right under the box at the starting line. It happened so fast I'm not sure anyone actually saw George jr. get hit. We only saw the aftermath. I remember that his impression was left in the side of the Henry J. The flag stand very shortly after.

Darrell

Darrell,

I was sitting in the cheap seats near turn 1, and I didn't see the hit, but I did see him going across the track and under the inside guardrail. Yes he was lucky, but from what I understand he did deal with long time chronic pain as an aftermath. By the way, hopefully you and your family are all doing well. I last saw Dale in '02 when Tracy passed away.

More Memories

Jim sent this photo to me for posting.

Take a look it's Gordon Wooley with his Deuce Coupe

ENJOY

post-8338-1240629663.jpg

Thanks Jim,

COOL shots of vintage America!

Like the Vintage Indy Roadster for one..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I was looking at this pic in my computer's photo file and noticed one other thing about the Foyt #2 car that I had forgotten about. Look at the head on his motor. Can someone tell us about those heads?

That was an Ardun head ford not a chrysler but it was a hemi head. The Arden aluminum (hemi) heads were on a Ford flathead block. I saw A. J. drive it once at the old North Houston race track at Greens Rd and Lee Rd. These were aftermarket head much like the Fisher heads Billy Griswold ran on his GMC.

I was looking at this pic in my computer's photo file and noticed one other thing about the Foyt #2 car that I had forgotten about. Look at the head on his motor. Can someone tell us about those heads?

post-11993-1269695504.jpg

They were Ardun aluminum Heads that turned a flat head Ford into a Hemi. You can still purchase a set for $13,900.00

post-11993-1269694964.jpg

post-11993-1269694995.jpg

This car was shown on page 4, post 49 with Phil Cronon in it. It was owned by my brother in law Bill Breshears and built in his shop on Homestead Rd. It had a Holman and Moody Big Block Ford engine in it. The motor came out of a late model that Bill purchased from Ed Hamilan that had run at Datona.

post-11993-1269695823.jpg

NUMBER 8 MODIFIED

The White #8 modified pictured behind Phil in the #54 was built by Bill Brashear if I recall correctly.

This photo was taken in 1967 after the #58 had been repainted to plain white.

In 1967, the #8 Modified was Blue and White with the Red #58 painted on it. The car was parked on the trailer at Bill's shop and had been driven by Tony Barcelona in 1967.

The #58 Modified broke an oil line in turn three during a feature race with Ronnie Chumley in Hot Pursuit behind him in the #16 car.

Tony spun in turn three and Ronnie went on to win after a gentle tap on the rear bumper to let Tony know he was "There"..

I spoke with Bill the following week after that Saturday night event and he had clued me in on what happened.

His comment was..Tony probably would have one that race if he hadn't seen Chumley in the rear view mirror"..

Tony was leading the race up to the last lap..

Not sure if the car was sold but probably was and repainted. Bill started Building the 59 Ford Fender modified for Larry Schild for the 68' Season which would become #8. That car is posted on this thread above. I no longer saw the #58 at Bill's shop from that time on..

In addition, there were two modifieds being built at that time. One for Larry Schild, and the other was a Falcon roofed modified but not the one associated with Red's famous modified built out of Falcon fenders.

I remember seeing the oil spewed #58 sitting on the trailer as I observed the car.

A few weeks later, the car was roughly painted white and the 5 was no longer part of #58. I don't recall who was driving the car from that time on but, possibly Tony Barcelona until the season ended?

As I look further back on this thread, I see a #58 Modified with Bill standing behind it as Denny mentioned and possibly the same #58 Modified.

I could be wrong but only going by what I remember about all of this..

That's what I recall guys. Hope this helps..

As to the other comments with 93, 57, and 54, they do look similar..at least nose grill related.

You refreshed my memory Midget 85,

You are correct about the 8/58 car. In my post above I had it confused with the 54 car that Phil drove. The reason being is that not only did Tony Barcelona drive it but Phil drove it also. You mentioned a super being built in Bill Breshears shop out of Ford Falcon body parts (fenders, roof, etc.). Bill Breshears was my brother in law and that was the car I was building and let Phil's younger brother Mike drive at Myers. It was a 2 springer on a early Ford frame and had an L88 427 Chevy engine in it. The body started out as a 4 door Falcoln that was shortened the length of the back door (removed) and narrowed about a foot. The front fenders pulled together made the front look similar to Red's modified but that is where the simularity stopped since it used the rear finders of the Falcoln at the back. That was the first of four supers I built before starting to drive for other people. That was so long ago I can't remember the number on it. It may have been 71 but I just can't remember. If anyone has any pictures of that car I sure would like to see them. I lost most of my racing pictures in the 1994 flood. The 3rd Super I build I ended up selling to Poncho Lockland. He took it to the Winter Super Modified Championship in Fa and ran 4th with John McLarren driving. Page Rynolds later drove it.

Jim,

I don't blame him at all.

I wouldn't sell it either and a restoration would be a plus for saving this old truck.

As to the 38 Chevy above photo, the guy's name is Jimmy or James and has owned it since the 60's.

All these old racers and cars really hit home don't they?

Billy's old car is located off 1960 near Tomball Prkwy.

I will see if I can get a few photos of it.

Hey Randy, What happened to the "9" car? Pics Please!!! :D:D:D

Archived