Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

It's been quite a few years since he had the shop on Long Point, and the #1 Car Modified from the mid '60s was sold, and I believe driven by Jimmy Willis after he retired from driving in '66/'67. The later late '30s/early '40s modified Chevy sedan bodied Modified that Larry Schild drove in about '68/'69, I don't remember what happened to it. The next built by Schild car was a NASCAR Late Model Sportsman, '65 Chevelle, #7, that was raced/driven by Larry Schild in '70/'71. It may have been raced in '69, but I don't know.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry,

Denny Burton talks to Charlie Ray often and Charlie occasionally stops by Denny's shop.

Gee, let me see if I can recall what Charlie told me about the old #1 Chevy coupe.

If I am correct, I asked Charlie what happened to the #1 Chevy coupe some time back and apparently it was sold to Jimmy Willis after the 66' season.

Jimmy would drive the old #1 modified at the beginning of the 67' season. I remember Jimmy making warm up laps in the old number 1 at the beginning of the season. Charlie was now involved with Larry in the Red White and Blue 55 Chevy Bronco #2 in 67'

Further into the conversation is when Charlie told me the last he heard, the old coupe was rusting down in a field somewhere and apparently at Jimmy's field or farm I am guessing.

Remember, this conversation was probably 10 years ago...darn where did time go? Otherwise, he didn't know where the car was. We also discussed what happened to Larry's Bronco and he just said "awwh, I don't know...probably gone now" ..??

This conversation was at his Long Point Shop when I spoke with him. It had been awhile since I talked to Charlie and we also talked about the 1/4 Midget days as well.

I also recall Jimmy Willis driving the old #9 Modified that I believe was Jimmy Griswold's car. I watched him bury that one in the front stretch pit rail wall coming out of turn 4 one night head on! I think the famous turn 4 dip at Meyerland caused the car to get lose and sent him straight into the rail. It all happened so fast and I don't remember him ever letting off the pedal as it crossed up and plunged into the wall. This car was painted Red & White just like the #1 modified

Bent the frame bad. Was anyone there that night? The car actually came off the ground and spun around in mid air after impact. That was 1967.

Randy,

Again trying to save space. You mentioned a #9 Modified Stock Car that was involved in a crash exiting turn 4 while being driven by Jimmy Willis in '67. I do not recall the incident, but in '66, there was a modified '38 Chevy coupe Modified #9 that was driven, at least some, by Billy Perran. It was red and white, and pictured somewhere on TXSZ with other Modifieds, but the number is unreadable. It had nice appearing body work, and was similiar in size to the #1 and #7 Modifieds in '65/'66. I believe it was owned by Buddy Perkluda, but I don't have any other guess as to the builder. It may or may not have been a new build in '66. But, to me, it had no substantial resemblance to the #9 modified late '30s Chevy coupe Modified driven in prior years by Billy Griswold.

Larry,

The #9 Modified was almost identical to Charlie's Mod in appearance that is with the paint scheme and stance. Almost looked like identical twins.

After that blast into the wall, the car was repaired somewhat and was entered into the Liberty Bell Race in 67' but with a different look that included a missing 38' Chevy Grill.

Matter of fact there was no grill at all after the repairs were done. I am sure 38' Chevy Grills were a little hard to find back then..

Now, .. China makes makes replicas!!!

Don't seem right..

Jim,

I have no idea as to Jimmy Willis on where he might be now.

Maybe someone will know..

It would be nice to find some of these folks. A lot are hibernating from us.

Was the 9 car mentioned here ever a Johnny Reiff or Billy Griswold car? Did Johnny ever build a 37 or 38 coupe? I remember Billy winning one feature at Meyer with a GMC powered car but can't remember if it was the old Playland Coupe or a later model.

Jim,

If I'm not mistaken, the #9 car we are speaking of was driven by Griswold prior to 1967 season.

Somebody may correct me if I am wrong..

Jim,

You are correct about the Meyer Spdwy/Houston 1/2 Mile Paved Oval annual July 4th 300 Lap Super Modified Auto Race. As I recall, it was always on July 4th, and not the 3rd or 5th, unless forced to by weather, and I don't think it ever was rained out/delayed. So, it was named the Liberty Bell 300. Aside from having only one engine, four wheels/tires, seat belts, and a roll cage, I don't know what the rules were. As I recall, the event began in '63 and continued thru about '73 or '74. And, I don't recall any other race, 300 laps or otherwise, sharing the same name. If so, I am fairly certain it was less than 300 laps.

At least thru '68, I would think any Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend events were 50 to 100 lap feature races for the Houston Modified Stock Cars, and the Houston Bronco Stock Cars. In '69, as you well know, the Houston Bronco Stock Car Racing Association events were discontinued, and NASCAR Late Model Sportsman Stock Car events were begun. At some point in that time frame, the Houston Modified Stock Cars were also discontinued and replaced by Super Modifieds.

In '61, the Houston Modifieds ran a 150 Lap Labor Day Race that was won by "Smiling" Buddy Rackley.

the only time I remember it being postponed was the year Dale Looper flipped going into turn 3 and ruptured the fuel cell....caught fire.....like maybe 70 / 71.....I remember bill white was aready out and grabbed him out of fire standing in middle of track.....fire crew ran right past him and started squirting car...I hadn't been to track in a couple of years and was the first time I was ever in pits for a race....it started raining before they could restart race and was postponed to the next weekend.Looper came back to restart race as he was still on lead lap...fire suit were mandentory that year but 2 drivers that qualified did not have them so it was made optional for that race...Dale Looper was one of 2 driver that wore his fire suit in the race.....When the race restarted most everybody had a suit on.....I can still see the whole thing in my mind like it happened 15 minutes ago....made quite an impression

Denny,

My train of thought, without rails of course, is that there were very few, if any, Liberty Bell 300 Supermodified races rescheduled. But, are you saying the race was posponed a week? If so, I don't believe it was '71, so possibly '70. The point being made is that the JFMS/Houston Liberty Bell 300 was a July 4th Supermodified Event. Another post alluded to a September/Labor Day Liberty Bell 300, which as I recall, was never the case, and I was confirming Jim's response to that effect. I believe the '71 race was won by George Nash in a Winged Supermodified, that was possibly a Fred Furlough owned car. The '70 event is a misfired blank for me. I saw about half of those events, maybe more. But, I did miss more than one. At some point in about '69, the Modified Stock and/or modified Sportsman Modified Cars gave way to Supermodifed Events only. If, after that, any Memorial Day or Labor Day Supermodified Events were held, they were not 300 lap races, as I recall.

Jim,

My memory is Billy Griswold racing a '32 Ford Coupe Modified #9 at Playland Spdwy/Houston in the late '50s and thru '60. It was red, with lightening bolt, body/frame channeled, and the rear window enlarged, and either a GMC 6 or Chevy V8. I remember him running a GMC motor, but I'm not positive it was exclusive.

Beginning in '61, at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, he raced a modified late '30s Chevy Coupe Modified, also red, #9 w/lightening bolt. He possibly raced that same Modified in '62/'64. I'm thinking Chevy V8, but may have also used a GMC. I just have no memory of Billy Griswold in Modifieds at Meyer Spdwy after '64/'65. That '60s era Modified #9 is pictured in the Cleveland Spdwy/Cleveland TX section, racing there on the dirt track, and possibly using a GMC motor. Possibly from about '66/'67, as a guess.

The coupe they ran at Playland was 302 GMC powered. The power they added about 1959 was a Fisher 12 port head. I think this power carried over to Meyer when the racing started there. I was curious more than anything whether Johnny built a 37 or 38 Chevy coupe or if they bought one. The reason being that Johnny had a beautiful 37 or 38 coupe, black, that he drove on the street. It also served as a tow vehicle for the old 32 coupe. Yes the 9 car was on a tow bar behind the black coupe from time to time. The black coupe had a Chevy V8 in it and it was pretty racey. I never saw the black coupe after they started racing that late Chevy body at Meyer. Surely Johnny and Billy didn't cut up that fine looking old car. :rolleyes: Sounds like somthing I did!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of the old Meyer cars are still around and for sale? Sonny is chomping at the bit to find one of the old coupes. My thinking is that some may still be around in the towns that ran dirt back in the 60s to 70s. Should be somthing around Cleveland or Navasota. Any of the old Playland cars would be a good score.

Jim,

Blackie Lothringer's modified ended up racing at the Cleveland Speedway after 1967 if I recall.

The gentleman that had the car lived off Gulf Bank and made it a dirt tracker.

If I'm not mistaken that was 1968

What happened to it after that is anyone's guess??

Billy Griswold had a 37-38 Chevy coupe that was to become a future modified at Meyer Speedway.

His son later sold the coupe to a gentleman on the NW part of town, and he still has it. He is restoring the car back to original and I do see it occasionally..

My understanding was the car had been purchased and was in waiting to be cut down sometime in the future. The son held on to the car for awhile and then decided to sell it.

The story was interesting about the old coupe and how he acquired it after Billy passed on.

Someone will probably have to "Clone" one of these modifieds.

We've all been looking for one to restore. Who knows, maybe one will come along soon..

What ever happened to AJ's 32 Ford Coupe that was restored a few years back?

I think Chumley was involved with that one.

I remember seeing an article on it in one of the magazines I think.

The photo below was once a "Straight Liner" at Dickinson and was recently converted back to a Street Rod.

The same owner has enjoyed this one in many different forms.

The Roll Bars have beened removed..

post-8338-1216616439_thumb.jpg

post-4772-1216643121_thumb.jpg

post-4772-1216643082_thumb.jpg

That looks like the Chevy coupe that Johnny Reiff drove.

I would like to see Billy's old car. The old Playland coupe went to the dirt many years ago. I don't know who wound up with it. Last I heard, the old GMC was still in it.

This old drag truck from Ford is a one off model. Mr. Bill wound up with it and has plans to restore it. people including Ford have offered wild deals to get Mr. Bill to part with his truck. He wont budge.

Jim,

I don't blame him at all.

I wouldn't sell it either and a restoration would be a plus for saving this old truck.

As to the 38 Chevy above photo, the guy's name is Jimmy or James and has owned it since the 60's.

All these old racers and cars really hit home don't they?

Billy's old car is located off 1960 near Tomball Prkwy.

I will see if I can get a few photos of it.

Thanks Randy, that would be great. I wonder if he is restoring it with the GMC or Chevy V-8? Was this the same car that Billy's son (Jimmy) drove at the dirt track? Man, these old cars are like opening a history lesson! Gotta love it!!!

Oh and thanks to whomever fixed the pics.

Thanks Darrell,

Someone told me that the entire collection was sold off after David Taylor moved on.

I guess the old modified is history also..

What a shame..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,

The 38 Chevy never was made into a race car but was scheduled to be.

It was saved from the saw and was still intact when purchased as a full bodied Chevy Coupe.

The gentleman that has it is putting it back as an O.E. ( Factory Stock ) production apparently.

Good Question Jim,

I can probably find out since I see this gentleman every Saturday night..

The 38 Chevy is nicely restored! :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

After viewing various pictures of the '60s era Houston Modified Stock Cars, it appears that most of the '37/'38 Chevy Coupe bodies were shortened by removing the door post area, however it appears that at least one was possibly shortened by removing the quarter window area and blending the roof to the post area. In particular, the #7 Car side window opening appears slightly different at the rear. Just curious about the #7 Car that was always beautiful and fast in that era.

Archived