Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

Joe Plowman showed up at San Antonio maybe a couple times, after Meyer closed, but it had Mustang sheetmetal.

While I don't know if the Mustang was the pictured Torino with a different body, I specfically remember that Mustang had a dash plaque that stated "Built by Bobby Allison especially for Joe Plowman."

This pic was previously posted in this forum, and this is the car I remember:

I have no memory/information regarding the late '30s/early'40s bodied Stock Car behind the # 28, but if Mr Browning's old wrecker could talk, the speedway stories could go on and on and on...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jakdad,

Your post reminded me of something. I remember Jimmy Finger running a short little sprint car. It was candy-apple red #5, and it/he was FAST! Anyone remember that car?

I would like to find the history on that car. Maybe the same car that Bill Drove????

T-Bird,

Me and Rodlea haven't seen that car in over 40 years! Wonder what it would take to get it out of that garage some Saturday night next season and let us all have a look at it at THR some night? :)

I found the place in near-downtown Temple. I had the name misspelled. It should be Matush, not Matous, as I originally had it. Bill told me the name, and I misunderstood. The garage appears to be in the back of an apparently abandoned auto parts store. It was locked up and parts are scattered around on the floor. There is no listing in the Temple phone book for it. I'll get back with Bill after Christmas and see what we can find out. That car may have been moved somewhere else. I don't think I would leave it in that location.

BTW... Bill really appreciates all these old pictures y'all are coming up with. I print them and take them to him.

T-Bird,

Me and Rodlea haven't seen that car in over 40 years! Wonder what it would take to get it out of that garage some Saturday night next season and let us all have a look at it at THR some night? :)

I found the place in near-downtown Temple. I had the name misspelled. It should be Matush, not Matous, as I originally had it. Bill told me the name, and I misunderstood. The garage appears to be in the back of an apparently abandoned auto parts store. It was locked up and parts are scattered around on the floor. There is no listing in the Temple phone book for it. I'll get back with Bill after Christmas and see what we can find out. That car may have been moved somewhere else. I don't think I would leave it in that location.

BTW... Bill really appreciates all these old pictures y'all are coming up with. I print them and take them to him.

Is that an 8th street address? You're right about that part of Temple. 8th street was always off limits to GIs. Of course, when you're in the service, the Off Limits Roster was the first place you looked before going on week end pass. Few times I wished we had stayed off 8th Street....... :D:D:D

Is that an 8th street address? You're right about that part of Temple. 8th street was always off limits to GIs. Of course, when you're in the service, the Off Limits Roster was the first place you looked before going on week end pass. Few times I wished we had stayed off 8th Street....... :D:D:D

Close. It's on 4th Street

No Jakdad, the car Jimmy Finger drove was not the same one Bill drove. It was a different car altogether. That was in those days when the line between what was a sprint car and what was a super-modified was somewhat blurred. He raced it in Austin and San Antonio as a "super-modified."

• 3 weeks later...
No Jakdad, the car Jimmy Finger drove was not the same one Bill drove. It was a different car altogether. That was in those days when the line between what was a sprint car and what was a super-modified was somewhat blurred. He raced it in Austin and San Antonio as a "super-modified."

The lines being somewhat blurred comment is very interesting. From what I vaguely recall, during the '50s, the line between Modified Stock Cars and Super Modified Cars was, to me, blurred. I tend to like the title of Super Modified Stock Cars when referring to what I recall as "Supers" racing in Houston during that time. After the '61 switch from the 1/4 mile Playland Spdwy to the 1/2 mile Meyer Spdwy, the new rules required '37 or newer Modified Stock Cars. In '63, the annual July 4th Liberty Bell 300 was began as an "open competition" Super Modified event that would allow competitors from other areas to compete. As hoped, the event attracted a wide variety of cars. Everything from Modified Stock Cars, Super Modified Stock Cars, Sprint Cars, a Roadster/Super Modified Car, and at least one modified/former Indianapolis Roadster Car. All cars, including the Sprints and Roadsters, had to have roll cages. Actual Sprint Cars and Indianapolis Roadster Cars of that era only required a roll bar, but not a full cage. As time passed, there were fewer competitive Modified Stock Cars. Eventually, wings were added, and the newer "specific built" Super Modifieds, and Sprint Cars, and/or combinations, became the norm.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like one of the roadster conversions that would come down to run our July 4th race. I was the pit timer for a white one that looked very much like that. They had to make a compulsory pit stop about half way. When they came in, they had to stay for 30 seconds. No tires needed, just fuel.

If your really into these old time racing photos, there is a website named Jimmies Old Time Racing Photos that is in the format of a forum. You have to sign up to view but its all free and believe me, its chock full of old time racing photos mostly in the Ohio, WVa, KY, NY and PA area. Some really old pics there like Bobby Allen when he was just starting racing. Looks like he is about 12. And a couple other old timers now retired when they first started. Good thread on the Blaney family. Just entering that neme into the search engine should take find that site for you but if you have any trouble finding it, PM me. This site was on line about 4 or 5 years ago but it was shut down by the webmaster because it took up too much bandwidth. It took them a while but this forum setup kind of sidesteps that bandwidth issue. Give it a try.

Dano :D

Budman Posted on Sep 14 2006, 05:24 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a side note. I think Bill should be the special invited guest and GRAND MARSHALL at some race at some race track this fall. Don't you think?  

Not only that, but I think that all the local tracks should have a "heritage" night each year and bring all the "older" racers from that era that are still around in. Make them special guests, vip treatment, and have them available after or before the races so we could visit with them and hear the old stories ourselves. After all - this is our racing heritage.

shoot, maybe there are some old restored race cars that can be brought in and make a couple of hot laps.

Now that would be super cool :D:D:D:)

i actually know where an old car that raced locally in san antonio the guys name that owns is adolf zuehl and shows it all the time

Lord may it be! If could be arranged, I will do my best to get Bill in the 1995 restoration of the Joe smith Modiified. It's even possable that I could get Gordon Woolley in the newly restored car (restoration by Joe Smith) that gordon drove at the old Sucide Bowl from 1948-50.

Sounds a lot like heaven to me!

post-3842-1202566411_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1202566698_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious about a couple of cars driven by Bill White at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in the late '60s/early'70s era, and would like to know if there was any connection between the Macon-Kelley blue # 2 late '30s modified coupe bodied Modified Stock Car, and the later raced/driven # 2 fabricated bodied winged Super Modified Car. Both cars are pictured on this site.

I'm just curious. Has anybody figured out if the restored version of this indy car is still around somewhere?

post-3-1202060146_thumb.jpg

In the "Some Pics" section there is a picture taken at the Legends Reunion at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands in '91 of the mid '50s era A J Foyt driven yellow # 2 early '30s coupe bodied Super Modified Stock Car, and just to the viewers right is what appears to be a late '40s/early '50s era Indianapolis Race Car, similiar to the # 3 Bill White driven Super Modified pictured here.

I think the blue roadster in the pic at Battleground is a 40s to 50 s era car. The one with Bill looks to be from the 60s. At any rate, I love looking at the old roadsters. Did you find out who owned the blue car? Sorry I missed that get together.

I either didn't find out or it didn't register. Both strong possibilites! Saw some old friends, and possibly an old not so friend or two. Also, I saw a few of old racers from the Playland Spdwy days. But, if you look at the picture I mentioned, behind the Indy Car is a covered area with pictures, pictures, and some pictures.

Archived