Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

There has been a lot of mention of cars owned by Eb Rose. If I'm not mistaken, most of not all of them were build for the most part by Bob Stegall. I do know for a fact that he was a master artist with a port-a-power and a master craftsman. He could take a frame with an "S" bend in it and once he got through with his port-a-power you could not tell that it had ever been damaged. He is the one that strightened Bill Breshears (Edmonds copy) super modified after Jackie Woosley went over the wall at Myers. It had been twisted badly and looked like new after Bob got through with it. Bill White and I both drove it at Moody Clary in Navasota. Bill later sold it to Benny Coats. He shorted it somewhat and installed coil overs on the front and won the Limited Modified championship at Big-H with it.

Here it is a Myers just before going over the wall.

post-11993-1269725267.jpg

And her is what it looked like after Bob Stegall got through repairing it.

post-11993-1269725411.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This car was shown on page 4, post 49 with Phil Cronon in it. It was owned by my brother in law Bill Breshears and built in his shop on Homestead Rd. It had a Holman and Moody Big Block Ford engine in it. The motor came out of a late model that Bill purchased from Ed Hamilan that had run at Datona.

post-11993-1269695823.jpg

hey Johnny - This car #54 was built and owned by my Dad (Red Garner) it started out as primer gray #14 then to blue and yellow 54 and then it was repainted blue and silver after Munson Stoddard went through the turn 3&4 fence at Meyer (Tony Barcelona, Phil Cronin, Munson Stoddard and others drove this car over the years.

. I believe you are thinking about the 37 that Red built for Bill.

This car was shown on page 4, post 49 with Phil Cronon in it. It was owned by my brother in law Bill Breshears and built in his shop on Homestead Rd. It had a Holman and Moody Big Block Ford engine in it. The motor came out of a late model that Bill purchased from Ed Hamilan that had run at Datona.

post-11993-1269695823.jpg

hey Johnny - This car #54 was built and owned by my Dad (Red Garner) it started out as primer gray #14 then to blue and yellow 54 and then it was repainted blue and silver after Munson Stoddard went through the turn 3&4 fence at Meyer (Tony Barcelona, Phil Cronin, Munson Stoddard and others drove this car over the years.

. I believe you are thinking about the 37 that Red built for Bill.

You are correct. Do you have a pic of the 37? Who drove it? Old car history reaches out and grabs me! LOL................................

• 2 months later...
There has been a lot of mention of cars owned by Eb Rose. If I'm not mistaken, most of not all of them were build for the most part by Bob Stegall. I do know for a fact that he was a master artist with a port-a-power and a master craftsman. He could take a frame with an "S" bend in it and once he got through with his port-a-power you could not tell that it had ever been damaged. He is the one that strightened Bill Breshears (Edmonds copy) super modified after Jackie Woosley went over the wall at Myers. It had been twisted badly and looked like new after Bob got through with it. Bill White and I both drove it at Moody Clary in Navasota. Bill later sold it to Benny Coats. He shorted it somewhat and installed coil overs on the front and won the Limited Modified championship at Big-H with it.

Here it is a Myers just before going over the wall.

post-11993-1269725267.jpg

And her is what it looked like after Bob Stegall got through repairing it.

post-11993-1269725411.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if Bob Steigel was some sort of genius. I recall being at the Burton shop in the early'60s when Bob stopped by with a seat and a steering wheel, with the steering linked to shock absorbers. He had it in the bed of his truck and had built it for Ebb Rose to prepare for the Indy 500. :unsure: I also saw some of the repair work Bob Steigel did on the MJ Burton 5 Car Modified after MJ went over the wall. Bob also straightened out a very bent unibody Mustang Stockcar after a hard wall hit, while I watched in amazement.

• 4 months later...
M F Barnes has posted a great illustration of Meyer Spdwy/Houston Modified Cars. The Bill White driven Super Modified Car # 2, and the Jimmy "Cowboy" Johnson driven, late 30s body modified coupe Modified Stock Car # 33. The Modified Stock Car # 3 (?) pictured is very similiar to the Modified Stock Car # 98, that was driven by Blackie Lothringer in '66, but I recall another almost identical looking car as well. The Modified Stock Cars pictured appear early/mid '60s era. The Super Modified Car pictured appears early '70s era. In between, the late '60s era Modified Cars were, "in between".

By the way, that picture of the #3 (Post #110) from the Liberty Bell 300 of 1966 was the #6 car of Billy Perran that he sold to Blackie in mid 1964 - Billy picked up the former Pop Minor #2 car from M.J. Burton and ran that car the rest of the season, about the same time Blackie turned up at Meyer in that #3. When I had looked at these photos months ago, I had

somehow overlooked that photo, just caught it now!

DSC00733.jpg

Here's Phil Cronin in the old super featured in the article that was posted earlier

DSC00734.jpg

And Phil in his 20's in the good ole days

DSC00121.jpg

And here's Mr. Plowman, usually Mr. First Place on race day.

SONATA_VOLUME-17.jpg

And in one of his rare visits to Meyer's it's Tony Bettenhausen

SONATA_VOLUME-210.jpg

AJ doing what he did best....taking a victory lap at Playland Park

• 1 month later...

RE:Post #27

Early '60s Super Modifieds at the speedway at Austin. :unsure: I'm familiar with the #2 Car that began as a Roadster Modified, but is there any known history regarding the #43 Car? According to another post, the driver was Johnny Doyle, who I am not familiar with.

What do you suppose those two drivers are saying to each other? I bet they're not talking about the weather.

Nick

That guy is saying:

"Hey Bill, I got hit from behind" "I didn't do it"......... :D

Jim,

Do you have any information about the pictured #43 Supermodified? It reminds me of another car, and I was just wondering if there was any connection. Going back a long time, but some similiarities. :blink:

Larry, I never found the pic. I would like to see it. Maybe it would ring a bell. :unsure:

post-12610-1302488046.jpg

is the photo you were looking for!! - found it on another site

Don't believe that's the same Supermodified #43 pictured back on post #27, from the speedway in Austin in the early '60s. It may have been Speed-O-Rama in those days. I was just wondering if any of our Central/South Texas friends had any history on that car that I believe may have been driven by Johnny Doyle. :rolleyes:

Here is the pic of the car you are speaking of.

post-1274-1302497128.jpg

The car was indeed driven by Johnny Doyle of San Antonio at Austin Speed-O-Rama. I really don't have any information on the history of that particular car. From looking at the pic, I am reminded that it sported a 343 ci. Chrysler Hemi with 3 deuces. I also remember the rear deck was fashioned from a portion of a 55 gal. drum. Johnny showed up with this car later in the 1963 season. Prior to that he had been driving the #106. (See Bush family collection in racing pics under any TexTom post.)

Earlier in the '63 season Johnny endured a rather spectacular double end over end flip into the SOR infield. Johnny was pretty banged up and was out several weeks. (the 106 was destroyed) He showed up later in the '63 season with this car.

• 1 year later...
I'm looking for old modified and super modified photos from San Antonio, Houston and Austin, and anywhere else for that matter, from the 50's and 60's to post on here. I've got a few, but none that haven't been posted on here before on one thread or another.

I'd like to get some posted on this thread. Post them if you've got them. If you have any, but need them scanned, pm me. If not, ask around. I know there must be some out there somewhere. Here's my favorite. Man, were these guys fun to watch! Not just anybody would dare get in one of these!

Bill White dominated at Austin with this car for like 3-4 years. Realize he won all those races with probably 350 hp. I bet he never won more than $500 at any race either. We thought he was the King!

Here's a picture of Bill White's #3 roadster that he drove for awhile after he started driving the #2 that he purchased from Billy Wade. For some reason, he switched back to #2 and I don't know what ever happened to this #3. I think the #2 was probably a better car. Anyone remember #3?

[resized by Nick Holt, 12/17/07]

post-3-1197874294_thumb.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing this car race at Austin and I didn't miss hardly a race there 1960-1963. I think maybe they brought it one night and couldnt get it running right, so went back to the #2 next Friday.

This is an article from 1974 Waco Trib. The Super photo is the car Bill was driving that year at Navasota. Although that is not Bill in the car, (Bill was still wearing a silver open face helmet with a bill and goggles) it was taken at Navasota. and I agree it was a beautiful track.

post-3-1343774564.jpg

post-3-1343774568.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was the car that sat outside the junk shop with all the vintage signs in Jarrell on I35 for years. Disappeared from there about 10-12 years ago. Maybe someone is restoring it!

Here is the pic of the car you are speaking of.

post-1274-1302497128.jpg

The car was indeed driven by Johnny Doyle of San Antonio at Austin Speed-O-Rama. I really don't have any information on the history of that particular car. From looking at the pic, I am reminded that it sported a 343 ci. Chrysler Hemi with 3 deuces. I also remember the rear deck was fashioned from a portion of a 55 gal. drum. Johnny showed up with this car later in the 1963 season. Prior to that he had been driving the #106. (See Bush family collection in racing pics under any TexTom post.)

Earlier in the '63 season Johnny endured a rather spectacular double end over end flip into the SOR infield. Johnny was pretty banged up and was out several weeks. (the 106 was destroyed) He showed up later in the '63 season with this car.

The car somehow reminds me of Blackie Lothinger.......................................................................

... :rolleyes:

Archived