Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

I'm looking for old modified and super modified photos from San Antonio, Houston and Austin, and anywhere else for that matter, from the 50's and 60's to post on here. I've got a few, but none that haven't been posted on here before on one thread or another.

I'd like to get some posted on this thread. Post them if you've got them. If you have any, but need them scanned, pm me. If not, ask around. I know there must be some out there somewhere. Here's my favorite. Man, were these guys fun to watch! Not just anybody would dare get in one of these!

post-30-1147828924_thumb.jpg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As best I remember, that was a 327 chevy eng. and those were two small 4 bbl. carbs.

The car was built in Houston by a man who was formerly with the Kurtis Kraft Midget Factory, and Tony Foyt. I have picked up a little more info on this car since the last time I posted anything about it. I was told A.J. actually put up the money to build the car. I don't know that A.J. ever actually drove it in competition at Meyer Speedway in Houston.

These types of cars were run under common rules at Houston, San Antonio and Austin for a relatively short time in the first half of the 1960's. These were the "super-modifieds" of their time. These types of cars were very popular all over the country before the "Stock Car Craze" started.

More on this car later.

The photo of the number 2 car above was taken in 1963 at Austin Speed-o-rama. The driver in the photo is the legendary Bill White of Temple. Bill was never known for taking it easy on his equipment. He was a "let it all hang out" type of racer. The car here shows a little of the wear and tear he would put on a car. When he first purchased it from another legendary driver, Billy Wade, in 1963 the radiator had a '32 Ford type cowling on it. The car had a hood and a full belly pan from the bottom of the radiator cowl back. It didn't take Bill long to tear all that stuff off of it.

Scrolled across the rear deck, angled to be read from the right rear was "Bardahl Spl".

Now that's some effective advertising if I can remember that after 43 years.

I am told Bill still resides in Temple and the car remains there also, unrestored and unrepaired after it's last crash. What a candidate that car would be for restoration.

More later.

Good stories about Bill White. I remember the Bardahl decal also. When the hood and cowling was on the car, across the hood had "Bill White's Garage, Temple, Texas". Lettering was blue.

If there were 14 cars on the track, you could hear Bill's car over the rest of them - it was loud. I remember he always had that white hankerchief in his mouth when he was racing. Shirt sleeves rolled up and tatoos showing. Bill was "billy bad".

Looking in my scrapbook from the early 60's and Bill White won 7 straight features - most of the time starting from the back.

His partner at that time was Ed Star. They had another car that look similar - #3.

Rodney

Rodney,

Good to hear from you. Among others, there's another interesting facit about this car.

Look very closely at the left rear upright of the the roll cage, near the bottom, just left of the filler cap. There is a joint there. This roll cage on this car could be unbolted and removed, and replaced by a rollbar at the rear. The car could then be raced as a roadster. I don't know that it ever was, though.

More on the #2 car:

Prior to the 1961 race season the car was acquired by Billy Wade of Houston. Billy very successfully campaigned the car weekly in Austin on Friday nights and Houston on Saturday nights, during the 1961 and 1962 seasons. Subsequent to the 62 season, the car was sold to Bill White of Temple.

Billy went on to a successful, but all to short Nascar career, beginning with the 1963 season. Sadly, he was killed in a crash at Daytona in January 1965, during a tire test.

There is a new internet site, I've recently come across in tribute to Billy. The link to that site is below.

Link

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing double? No, it's "rodlea" on the left (I think), and his identical twin, at THR. Not sure who the young man in the middle is. Always fun and interesting to visit with them!

:)

These guys are the kind of race fans tracks need desperately to attract and keep very happy. They've been attending races on a weekly basis in and around Austin for over fifty years!

Just a suggestion to THR Mgmt..............Next race night when you see them, and they will be there ............ comp them a couple of tickets to your next race.

post-30-1150342769_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
The photo of the number 2 car above was taken in 1963 at Austin Speed-o-rama.  The driver in the photo is the legendary Bill White of Temple. Bill was never known for taking it easy on his equipment.  He was a "let it all hang out" type of racer.  The car here shows a little of the wear and tear he would put on a car.  When he first purchased it from another legendary driver, Billy Wade, in 1963 the radiator had a '32 Ford type cowling on it.  The car had a hood and a full belly pan from the bottom of the radiator cowl back.  It didn't take Bill long to tear all that stuff off of it.

Scrolled across the rear deck, angled to be read from the right rear was "Bardahl Spl".

Now that's some effective advertising if I can remember that after 43 years.

I am told Bill still resides in Temple and the car remains there also, unrestored and unrepaired after it's last crash.  What a candidate that car would be for restoration.

More later.

With Budman's help, and since I live in the Temple area, I thought I would try and look up Bill White to see if he was still around. I was sucessful in finding him, and I am here to tell you he is still very much around. He is now 81 and is sharp as a tack. I went out to see him at his garage in Temple. He has a memory like a steel trap. When I asked him about his racing career, he started throwing out places, dates, cars, and people faster than I could digest them. I asked about his old #2 that was in that picture, which I had printed out and had taken to show him. He took me out behind the workshop and showed me the remains of old #2. It was encircled by weeds and had old tires and other junk on top of it. I asked if I could remove some of the junk and pull some of the weeds around it, so I could take a picture. He said he had been thinking about getting it out from under all that stuff and asked me to wait and come back again for a picture. In the meantime, his very charming wife, Linda, came out of the office to see what was going on. I showed Bill and Linda the comments that had been posted here, and they got quite a laugh. He said just about all was true, and added that #2 was originally built by Danny Burke, but was financed by Joseph Meyer of Meyer Speedway. He did buy it from Billy Wade, and he said he paid $3,000 for it, which was a lot of money back then. He told me the story about all the races he was winning in one stretch at Meyer. He said a bounty, in addition to the winner's purse, was put out on him for extra incentive for someone to beat him.

I had mentioned to him that I had gone to a lot of races at Playland and Meyer, and his wife asked me if I remembered when all those people were killed and hurt when Blackie's car went over the fence at Playland. I then told them that I was about 50 feet from his car when it came down. I asked if they remembered exactly when that happened, and Linda said she has the newspaper clippings about the accident in a box full of scrapbooks and other memorabilia about Bill's racing career. She said she would get it out and let me look through it the next time I came by. Of course I was excited to hear that.

Bill also mentioned that he had heard from Ronnie Chumley and that he was coming through Temple soon and wanted to stop by and visit. He said he would call and let me know when Ronnie was coming, so I could come back by and visit with him too.

I told him, that people posting on this forum sometimes need help identifying cars and drivers. He said to let him know and he would try to help.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience, and I look forward to going back, seeing his clippings, and getting some good pictures of old #2.

Here is a picture I took of Bill this morning.

BillWhite309-06.jpg

Is that an aramendia cap that bill is wearing?

Sure do appreciate you gong by there. You always wonder what happened to so and so when they quit racing. Very interesting stuff.

Can't wait for your visit with him.

57Tbird,

Thanks for taking the time to look Bill up and report back here.

What you, Buddy and several others are doing with the history section here draws far more "hits" than the sensational bashing stuff. A good many of us would much rather read informative, meaningful posts - like yours - than read about why someone doesn't like the rules or why they don't like so-and-so...

I hope someone besides me is downloading all this history to a CD because websites like this one come and go.

Nick

Just got back from Burnet County. Been up there all day. Sat down and turned this thing on.

Wow, what a surprise. Just too cool! That picture is priceless!

With regard to who built the car, that doesn't really matter now. A great car and great drivers. My information came from a 1962 live in-station interview of Billy Wade with car on Austin's KTBC TV. Billy was seeking sponsorship in Austin at the time so maybe, just maybe he "stretched" it a little when he said Tony Foyt had built it.

Thanks T-Bird, your efforts are geniunely appreciated.

Below is the photo of Bill, at Austin Speed-o-rama in 1963 I believe. Looks like he's knocking off a knock-on ............. or knocking on a knock-off ............. or Whatever. :lol:

Got this from Rodlea's famous collection of clippings.

post-30-1158272360_thumb.jpg

Not only that, but I think that all the local tracks should have a "heritage" night each year and bring all the "older" racers from that era that are still around in. Make them special guests, vip treatment, and have them available after or before the races so we could visit with them and hear the old stories ourselves. After all - this is our racing heritage.

shoot, maybe there are some old restored race cars that can be brought in and make a couple of hot laps.

Now that would be super cool :D:D:D:)

This was actually done at Longhorn around 1999-2000, When the Chambers family had reopened it.

They invited all the past track champions back for a night of recognition. This included Bill White, who was the 1973 Speedorama champion.

They got quite a few of the champions back, and there were more old stories going on in the pits than you could ever listen to in one night. Some serious B.S being thrown around also.

It was great of tbird to go by and talk to Bill. I have known Bill White almost 30 years, from the time he ran Austin and Pan American in the Frank Ferris # 19.

I also stop by his shop every once in a great while, and he always has a story about racing. Bill has a brother, Ronnie, who was also a great racer, but didn't travel as much as Bill.

Thanks T-Bird, your efforts are geniunely appreciated.

Hey, Budman! I appreciate you putting me onto him! My visit with him was a hoot. I could listen to him all day. What a wonderful, friendly, engaging person...as was his wife, Linda. When I saw she was obviously much younger than he, I accused him of being a "cradle robber". They both laughed, and Bill said he just got started late. She volunteered that she is 17 years younger than he. They met while she was working at a restaurant in Temple. Bill said he grew up in Academy, a small community a few miles southeast of Temple. His garage is just up the highway from there, on the outskirts of Temple.

I can't wait to go back and get some pictures of #2, dig into their scrapbooks, and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't heard back from Bill since I visited with him several weeks ago. See my previous post on that. I couldn't wait, so I went by this morning. Bill said he's not too fast these days and hadn't done much with #2 since I saw him. He did have the frame out, but hadn't gotten around to doing anything with the body yet. I snapped a couple of pictures of the frame and one of the body as it now rests in its weedy bed. Can't tell a whole lot about it. Somebody last raced it with #6 on it as you can see. He said Linda (wife) was still getting the scrap book in shape for me and to come back by in a couple of weeks. Will share highlights of that with this forum. There will probably be too much to post here, so I was thinking of scanning most of it to a CD and making copies for anyone who is interested.

While I was there, another fellow came by to talk to Bill. We got to talking about the old racing days at Playland and Meyer, and I asked if he remembered Blackie Lothringer's accident at Playland. He said he was there and just coming through the gate at Playland when Blackie came flying over the wall. What a small world! I told him we must have been almost next to each other, because that's about where I was when that happened. I mentioned that he must have been just a kid then, because he looked younger than I am. He said he was about 14 then. Maybe some of you might have known him. His name is Ron Babbitt. He said he was a mechanic for Bobby Allison and Neil Bonnett. He lives in Temple now.

Oh... and I left a copy of the photo of the 26 drivers at Pan American Speedway-1964 that PAPA posted on another thread. I asked if he could help with the id's. He confirmed that he wasn't in it, and he was naming some before I told him who they were. He said he would get some help from Linda as she might remember more of them than he does.

Here are the pictures I got of #2 (now #6) today... what you can see of the body and a couple of the frame.

No2Body.jpg

No2Frame.jpg

No2FrameTop.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, what an incredible thread! A forty-five year time warp! I've heard about these latest pictures, but am just now getting to see them. Amazing!

I had the honor and privlege of sitting with Bill in the stands at THR at the recent USAC midget race. What an honor!

Looking at that old frame, I can remember vividly Billy Wade saying in an interview in 1962, in the studios of KTBC in Austin, on the nightly sports section of the news how the springs had collapsed on the car from setting up on the trailer, boomered down, over the winter. They had the car in the studio at the time, and he was standing beside it in the interview!

That was the year before Bill bought the car.

Archived