Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that also Mark. The #93 Car, I believe was raced/driven by Ronnie Chumley in about '64, but the body work appears a little different from the #54 Car. I would have to wonder whether or not the #93 Modified later became the orange & white #57, driven by Munson Stodder in '66. I have some situational memory, but I'm having trouble putting it all together.

Yes Jim that's Ronnie's Tire Shop,

Larry was pretty sure they were different cars, but just wondered if Red had his hands on this one too. Red had his hands on a few...............

Ronnie's boss by the same sled

post-3-1214019091_thumb.jpg

post-3-1214019214_thumb.jpg

And here is the five-seven.....aka nine-three, with that Stodder Fella........

SONATA_VOLUME-105.jpg

Alabama Gang....................... Joe Joe Worley

SONATA_VOLUME-53-1.jpg

Outlaws ever damn one of them!

SONATA_VOLUME-270.jpg

Another fine looking coupe

post-4772-1214080291_thumb.jpg

Larry was pretty sure they were different cars, but just wondered if Red had his hands on this one too. Red had his hands on a few...............

If it had the Anglia grille, probably so. :D:D

Tony Medina drove a number eight for a while, not sure if that was him or not. The car Tony drove was owned by Johnny Reno's Auto Parts I think. Larry may remember better than myself.

Tony drove for Johnny Reiff. That was the sister car to Billy Griswold's 9 car. I didn't know that Tony ever raced at Meyer. The 8 car that he drove at Playland was red just like the 9 car and was an early 30s coupe. The 8 car in your photo looked familiar in my alleged mind, but the number didn't seem right. I can tell it will take someone smarter than me to sort this out.

NUMBER 8 MODIFIED

The White #8 modified pictured behind Phil in the #54 was built by Bill Brashear if I recall correctly.

This photo was taken in 1967 after the #58 had been repainted to plain white.

In 1967, the #8 Modified was Blue and White with the Red #58 painted on it. The car was parked on the trailer at Bill's shop and had been driven by Tony Barcelona in 1967.

The #58 Modified broke an oil line in turn three during a feature race with Ronnie Chumley in Hot Pursuit behind him in the #16 car.

Tony spun in turn three and Ronnie went on to win after a gentle tap on the rear bumper to let Tony know he was "There"..

I spoke with Bill the following week after that Saturday night event and he had clued me in on what happened.

His comment was..Tony probably would have one that race if he hadn't seen Chumley in the rear view mirror"..

Tony was leading the race up to the last lap..

Not sure if the car was sold but probably was and repainted. Bill started Building the 59 Ford Fender modified for Larry Schild for the 68' Season which would become #8. That car is posted on this thread above. I no longer saw the #58 at Bill's shop from that time on..

In addition, there were two modifieds being built at that time. One for Larry Schild, and the other was a Falcon roofed modified but not the one associated with Red's famous modified built out of Falcon fenders.

I remember seeing the oil spewed #58 sitting on the trailer as I observed the car.

A few weeks later, the car was roughly painted white and the 5 was no longer part of #58. I don't recall who was driving the car from that time on but, possibly Tony Barcelona until the season ended?

As I look further back on this thread, I see a #58 Modified with Bill standing behind it as Denny mentioned and possibly the same #58 Modified.

I could be wrong but only going by what I remember about all of this..

That's what I recall guys. Hope this helps..

As to the other comments with 93, 57, and 54, they do look similar..at least nose grill related.

Yes Randy, many thanks. I don't even remember the pictured #58 or the #8 Houston Modifieds. Trying to race a Houston Bronco Stock Car in '67 definitely shut out my attention to the Modified activities. That being said, I did on occasion notice a "tap from behind" as mentioned.

From what I do remember, in '63, Ronnie Chumley drove the red & silver #25 modified '38 Chevy Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car that I believe was owned by L S Garner and wrenched by Sonny Goebel that had been driven by Charlie Schild in '62. To my knowledge, L S Garner and Modified/Super Modified owner/builder Red Garner are not related. The #25 Car body modification/fabrication was similiar in appearence to the #5 Modified raced by M J Burton in '62 and '63. Possibly the #5 Car and the #25 Car were built with shared plans. I don't know or have any guess as to what became of the #25 Modified after '63. The next car I believe that was raced by Ronnie Chumley was another '37/'38 modified Chevy Coupe Modified that was black and yellow #91. The #93 modified coupe Modified followed the #91 Car, as I recall. I would love to know the relationship, if any, between the #25 Modified from '62/'63, the #91 Modified, and the #93 Modified from about '64 and '65.

post-4772-1214349852_thumb.jpg

Where did Cowboy get his modified? Anybody know who built it?

More research......................

:blink::blink::blink:

Jim,

That one has my curiousity too. I don't recall a new '60s era Houston Modified being built by Jimmy "Cowboy" Johnson in the mid '60s, but it could be a new build. I am almost certain this picture is from late season '66, and I knew Cowboy fairly well in that era. I'm leaning toward a previously owned/built/raced purchase. Or maybe a project that Cowboy and Fritz Fossler completed/purchased that was started by/for someone else. I believe Cowboy's son raced in later years, but I didn't/don't know him.

MODIFIED #33

Larry. Jim,

I could be totally wrong on this but, let me reflect back on what I recall about this modified.

In 1961 Buddy Rackley drove a full bodied 37'Ford Modified Stock that was maroon with the number 33 and won the 150 Lap feature race and set a track record if I recall correctly.

The "Cowboy" modified pictured above from what I understood was to be driven by Buddy Rackley and was built either by him or someone for him to drive.

The first time I saw this car was in 1962 - 63 in the pits and was in the spring of that season. It had been brought in by a wrecker hooked to the rearend and also towed back after the races that night.

I think Buddy had decided to hang up his racing days after 1961 and therefore the car had no driver and was sitting in the pits the entire night. It did not participate in any of the races that night.

The photo above I believe was taken in 1965 with "Cowboy" behind the wheel.

Either he purchased the car or was chosen to drive it from my best memory. The time gap between the years is puzzeling however or I could be off on my years.

Anyhow, further research is needed on the facts I have mentioned but, I do believe the car was intended for Buddy originally.

I think someone told me that the car was built or financed by "Rose"..??

Maybe someone can add to our thoughts on this memorable modified..

Had to snag one of Randy's Scans, check out this entry list at Meyers, 7th car on the list #8 Tony Medina, quite a few other regulars on there too.

MEYERSPEEDWAY62PROGRAM5-2.jpg

Thank's Randy

Mark,

Thanks for posting!

This program insert I believe was 1962 if I recall correctly, and based on the drivers names at that time..

I still don't think that Tony ran at Meyer. Yes, he was registered as driver of the 8 car. Notice that he has no points. I believe that if you started a feature race, you would get some points. The car in question doesn't have the Johnny Reiff paint scheme on it. He may have sold it with the number, and the car was repainted. Another can of worms. Thanks Mark for the update. I honestly have no recollection of seeing Tony after Playland. I saw and talked to Johnny and Billy at Meyer, but no Tony.

Trying to save space regarding MODIFIED #33.

Randy, I definitely remember the Houston Modified Stock Car #33 from '61, driven by Buddy Rackley. As I recall, it was a full bodied '37 Ford Coupe, and I assume a small block V8 Chevy Motor. There is probably a great story regarding the updated Houston Modifieds for '61, the first year for weekly Modified Racing at Meyer Spdwy, 1/2 mile paved, after switching from Playland Spdwy, 1/4 mile paved. Several cars showed up with full bodies, and several others appeared with modified bodies, shortened and narrowed. The rules required '37 or newer cars, and the M J Burton #5, Billy Perran's #6, Buddy Rackley's #33, all '37 Ford Coupes, and the George Nash #52, '40 Ford Coupe, were full bodied. The #2, Billy Wade/Charlie Schild driven car had a modified Ford Coupe body, along with the #55/#53 Buddy Evans/Billy Wade body modified '37 Chevy Coupe bodied car. There were other cars as well, but I think the Billy Griswold #9 Chevy Coupe and possibly Joe Plowman's #28 Chevy Coupe were full bodied that year. A later Buddy Evans #55, body modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe showed up as well. I would love to know the story behind that scenario regarding full stock bodied Modified Stock Cars versus the modified bodied Modified Stock Cars. Especially since most, if not all, of the same competitors had been racing Modifieds at Playland Spdwy before the switch. By '62, for the most part, all of the Houston Modifieds had modified bodies. At least the top 10-12 cars were using the smaller, lighter sectioned bodies by then.

The Buddy Rackley story may be correct, but I thought Rackley and Rose parted ways in about '58. However, I did see Buddy Rackley in a USAC Midget Car Race at Navasota's Moody-Clarey 1/4 Mile Dirt Spdwy in about '69 or '70.

Larry,

If we could only go back in time...and refresh our minds!

Lotta history has slipped by us all..

Guess we will keep moving forward and see what we can think of next??

Reckon' we could apply for that "Grant" and rebuild Meyer Speedway? :blink:

Did Charles Ray say his old car was in a field somewhere? If thats true, why? I have a friend that would love to get a modified like that for restoration. So Larry, I put the burden on you to ask him about it. It might be behind his shop on Long Point! :D:D

Archived