Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Hey, we were out at the Lippencotts' Shop yesterday. We were looking at some old racing photos and came across this one. They were kind enough to scan and print it for me. Thanks Lippencotts.

It's from 1963 at Austin Speed-o-rama. Looks like Bill White (2) and Johnny Doyle (43) got tangled up with the 7 car. We're not sure who that is. I'm sure he's just checking to make sure Bill is OK. We're pretty sure that's Johnny at the far left in the foreground.

It's a good shot of some GREAT racing they had out there at the time. I would love for someone to come on here and tell us who that 7 car driver is!

Maybe so OT. :D

You know, I was taking a second look at that pic. There's a pretty good crowd in the stands up there, but you know what? The background is the exit of turn 2. That's the backstretch "cheap seats" over-flow crowd. The REAL crowd was packed into the front straight stands.

There was no touring series there nor any kind of "special show" going on. That was just the regular weekly show, on Friday night at that. Gosh I wish we could figure out a way to get the crowds back out like that now!

Maybe we need to go back to that type of car,the fans could see the wheels move when steered as well as what the driver was doing,and yes there were accidents back then,but with the open wheels they had to be more careful,plus they were light and fast.

Buddy,

I was just looking at that photo and trying to figure out the sheet iron fence, top guard rail and grandstands and figured only thing that resembled in 1963 was the southside seating/cheap seats - they were $1.00 admission. Other side was mail side - $1.50. Something looks strange with infield and track. Don't remember a burm. Speed O Rama asphalt was always pretty much flat with the infield. Notice how high Bill White's #2 was off the asphalt - looks like cars had been going through caliche or rock in it. This could be a dirt track somewhere else...??.....

Don't remember #7 car - may be one-time stranger or at another track.

Thanks for photo. Great to have for scrapbook.

Rodney

Awe, come on Rodney, dang that was only 44 years ago. Can't you remember anything? :lol::lol::lol:

That's Speed-o-rama for sure. The photo is looking at the west end of the south stands. Just out of the picture to the right is the pit exit. The sheet metal is the BACK fence of the pits. The guard rail was two pipes bolted to railroad tie uprights. The burm was there for a short time after they put the "Figure 8" X in the infield, before they leveled it out. :)

O/T

Yeah, they'll fly alright, just not very good nor very far. The problem though is they just don't land worth a sh#t! :lol:

97Car,

Since you brought it up, ................. its been done before. And ............ I just happen to have, from 1966 at Pan Am .........................

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

post-1274-1171257601_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1171257782_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1171257941_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1171258095_thumb.jpg

Budman...

It's been awhile since I checked in here. Just saw this post by you. I haven't checked back with Bill White for a couple of months now. His wife was supposed to be getting together his scrapbook with old pix, clippings, etc. I'll print this picture and take it by Bill's place next week and see what he has to say. Maybe he remembers who #7 is. I hope Bill will have done some more work toward getting old #2 restored. Will take my camera just in case.

After looking at picture of #7 for about a week, things started coming back. I now remember car with chopped off back end - looks like chopped '34 Ford. Think the car was powered by Pontiac engine. I think driver was Dale Brelove from Waco TX.

Maybe Bill White will know for sure who it is.

Buddy, I remember fence, guardrail and bleachers - but don't remember figure 8 being there in '63. Guess it was. Things start slipping after 60.

Rodney

Rodney,

You know I was just messin' with ya a little. Heck, I know my own memory gets a little fuzzy that far back! :lol:

Dale Breedlove out of Waco could be right. I do remember that name from way back then. I think he ran a few times out there. Thanks for your help.

Hey 57Tbird, good to hear from you!

• 2 weeks later...

OK! I just got back from talking to Bill. He confirms #43 is Jonny Doyle and said that looks like it might be him in the far left side of the photo. He didn't know who #7 is. Dale Breedlove didn't ring a bell with him, though, and he will give it some more thought. He said he's sure the conversation taking place in that picture was friendly. He said he's been real busy and hasn't had a chance to do anything with old #2. His wife, Linda, is still trying to get the scrapbook together, but she's been busy too. I'll check back with him in another month or so.

BTW.. He really appreciated the picture!

Is that an aramendia cap that bill is wearing?

Can't wait for your visit with him.

Zoom.

This is in response to your question about the cap Bill was wearing in the picture I took of him. Bill had that cap on today when I went by. In the white part of the Texas flag is DPW. On the bottom is Fort Hood Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

mfbarnes,

I am sorry that these pics did not sharpen up when I downsized them. Usually they do to some extent. Perhaps if you emailed me the original digital version I could see if photoshop will sharpen them up for you.

My email address is cnholt@sbcglobal.net

Nick

Archived