No New News, just questions on SAS

JamesHigdon

I would actually volunteer to be the SAS Race Director (or even GM if the deal was right) if someone with enough money and good sense were to step up to the plate.

First person two folks I'd hire would be Rick Day and Debbie Williams... Then I'd hire Larry Bendele as Chief Tech. Then recruit Mike McCain's wife to head up the scoring dept. Then... ah well, enough fantasizing for one day.

P.S. I can say I'd try to steal Debbie with upsetting Mary Ann because she knows, as we all do, that the chances of SAS ever reopening at it's present location are flat-lined at zero percent...

Nick

I would love to see this happen!! When, not if, when I win the mega million the deal is on!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately it will take someone who not only HAS money - but is willing to tie a bunch of it up with little return for many years. The profits would be at the end of 15 years - or sale after getting it all running.

At least thats what our cost/profit analysis showed when we crunched the numbers last year. A multi-investor type of venture may pull it off as that way each investor has less cash sitting "stagnant".

Unfortunately it will take someone who not only HAS money - but is willing to tie a bunch of it up with little return for many years. The profits would be at the end of 15 years - or sale after getting it all running.

At least thats what our cost/profit analysis showed when we crunched the numbers last year. A multi-investor type of venture may pull it off as that way each investor has less cash sitting "stagnant".

Agreed...ours said about the same thing, to much investment up front with too little profit margins for any quick ROI.and considering the location around it is a dump, It would be to hard to pull in a bigger venue .we found it would be a better investment to start scratch in a compleatly different area. So sad

See what you started Tom !

DONT GET ON TOM HERE .........NICK NEEDED TO EXHALE SOME OF HIS DREAMS .....BY THE LOOKS OF IT ..ALOT OF OTHERS HAVE THE SAME DREAM ....ATLEAST THATS SOMETHING IN RACEN THAT DONT COST ANYTHING ...BUT WILL PUT SMILES ON YOUR FACE AT WHAT WAS ONCE A REALITY ....

In relation to the inherent value (or lack thereof) of the property, I don’t think it can be discussed without taking into account some of the less concrete benefits of the location. Ask SAR’s builders what they would have given to have a multinational multibillion dollar company fighting to keep houses from developing around them? That property will only ever be either light industrial or a race-track unless tens of millions of dollars were spent to fight Toyota and clean the property up and then who would want to develop in the area anyways (save for the obvious Luche Libre). Millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements were put in place in that area and nothing has come of them, how many track owners could afford to lobby for the modern multilane state highway and intersection in front of the track? It is sad to see the track there dying, it is equally as sad to see the area around it have millions of dollars dumped into it for next to nothing, it is beyond sad to know we elected the people who made all those misjudgments.

In relation to the inherent value (or lack thereof) of the property, I don’t think it can be discussed without taking into account some of the less concrete benefits of the location. Ask SAR’s builders what they would have given to have a multinational multibillion dollar company fighting to keep houses from developing around them? That property will only ever be either light industrial or a race-track unless tens of millions of dollars were spent to fight Toyota and clean the property up and then who would want to develop in the area anyways (save for the obvious Luche Libre). Millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements were put in place in that area and nothing has come of them, how many track owners could afford to lobby for the modern multilane state highway and intersection in front of the track? It is sad to see the track there dying, it is equally as sad to see the area around it have millions of dollars dumped into it for next to nothing, it is beyond sad to know we elected the people who made all those misjudgments.

I have to agree with much of what you said. Where I don't agree is that it is sad to think of the money spent in the area. I think it was all about greed in many cases. Toyota knew full well coming into San Antonio and building this plant that there were not going to many if any off site vendors or warehouses. Whats sad here is that one no said anything to keep people from spending money buying up property. I'm sure Toyota made the city keep it to themselves or then again maybe the city was never told?

Many people saw dollar signs and thought they were sitting on a cash cow to find out they didn't have more than wishful thinking.

I wish we had our track back up and running... You almost wish you could look forward in time to see if things work out or not. Yes I know that isn't reality, but in SAS case it would have been nice to know that all those plans they had would fall through.

Oh Well...

I have to agree with much of what you said. Where I don't agree is that it is sad to think of the money spent in the area. I think it was all about greed in many cases...

The members of our city's political machine that gave Toyota tax breaks and spent all that money on capital improvement in the area only saw a cash cow for the cities coffers. My view of the reality of things is that not much positive has come of the money spent and the potential property tax money given away in order to draw Toyota in. I guess much like you I wish the foresight had been in place to see the limit of Toyota's activities in San Antonio. My problem is being a small time capatalist I see things differently but my math dictates the net positives must equal or exceed the net negatives for a deal to be a good one.

Well if there's any silver lining it's the fact that real estate values ballooned way out of perportion and we are starting to see values come down. We had heard a $5 million dollar offer was turned down which was astonomically out of wack. Luckly property values for real estate in this area are falling and if anyone is interested is way below that, and it continues to fall. This property is more around 1.2 million market value, partly due to a depreciation in improvements of from around 132 down to 5k. and with an ag exempt to make taxable around 996k meaning around 21k for taxes..ouch. Looks much better than 5 mil tho...

Thats a quandry faced by any developer - once income production occurs the value (both market and taxable) jumps proportionately.

When I built a shopping center on land I bought for 2.35 per foot, the neighbor upped their asking price on undeveloped land from 3.75 to 5.35 a foot - the new value given my developed land! I ended up waiting her out and bought it for 3.00 when other listed undevelopeds in the area dropped to 2.75. I did not mind paying the above average as I really needed the extra for parking lot - and still have room to expand another 6000 sq ft in commercial rental space.

They arent coming down on their price. They dont care if it sells or not. They have no problem paying the taxes either. Dont get me wrong. They are good people. So if you want their land you are going to have to pay what they want or it just sits there. They will listen to lease ideas as well. If your serious about doing something with SAS then contact them and see what can be worked out. Like I said...They are good people.

I drive by the track every day cause i live just north poteet and saturday i noticed they were in the pit area and on the track with a lift but it looks as if they took down most of the lights from the polls. They were there all day and i dont know what all was done but all i can truthfully say is most of the lights are down!!

I drive by the track every day cause i live just north poteet and saturday i noticed they were in the pit area and on the track with a lift but it looks as if they took down most of the lights from the polls. They were there all day and i dont know what all was done but all i can truthfully say is most of the lights are down!!

Hrm...well they turned them all on to check and make sure they worked to sell them off? Sounds not good?

Well now knowing where the lights went I hope they DO need some boiler plate and a bunch of asphalt!...A paved high banked quarter mile oval anyone?

A Paved High Bank 1/4 mile oval ??? Sounds like Pan American Speedway. Put that boiler plate all the way around the outside, keeps the squirrels in check. :P Lenny66 B)

Archived