THR - Thunder Stock & Super Stock

Mary Ann Naumann

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JAMES HUFF / # 37 THUNDERSTOCK

AS A NEW DRIVER COMING OVER TO KYLE TO RACE

I WILL GO BY THE DECISION THE TRACK MAKES.

THANKS

WE all will Mr. Huff, but they want a vote. Since you've got Goodyears the vote should be pretty apparent.

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

JAMES HUFF / # 37 THUNDERSTOCK

AS A NEW DRIVER COMING OVER TO KYLE TO RACE

I WILL GO BY THE DECISION THE TRACK MAKES.

THANKS

WE all will Mr. Huff, but they want a vote. Since you've got Goodyears the vote should be pretty apparent.

WELL HOW IS MY BUDDIE DOING? NOW YER STIRING THE POT he he !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

James said he had not been racing at you all's track so he would rather you drivers

make the decision and he would conform to the rules. Now is this respect or what ? ;)

JANETTE

It sure would be nice for Chase if he had a shop full of tire's, intead of 10 hoosier's and 10 GoodYear's.

so we should all say that we need the f53 to let there be one tire for chase to have. that would be nice but what about the racers that can't afford to buy the more expensive tires and may not get to come out do to that fact. I would love to stay on 970s because we have a shop full of them but if we have to change then I want the goodyears that way we can still afford to help keep the track around because it will not be good for the track if the car counts drop off.

I want more laps in a race to use up the tires. Ron Sprayue #42 TSRS just my 2 cents.

If you don't get more laps maybe you could use them for practice at the next race.

after they have been cycled a few times and sat for a week cold, they lose some more time.

Unless you soak'em :o;)

I am not in the classes in question here but Mr. Ayers hit the nail on the head. This will be kind of a make or break year for Thunderhill, so it seems to me that the logical answer would be whatever helps out the local classes for better car count as well as quality of racing. I would like to see everyone (TSRS included) on the same tire, I'd be happy to give away my take-offs instead of lining the walls of my shop, but If cost is what is keeping the cars away than a cheaper solution needs to be found. However... the cheaper the cost and longer life span means less profit for manufacturer and distributor. In turn, a manufacturer's contribution to the point fund(if they did so, only an example) would be less. Purses may have to have some re-structuring.

I dont know if any of this will happen or not but it something to think about.

It sure would be nice for Chase if he had a shop full of tire's, intead of 10 hoosier's and 10 GoodYear's.

so we should all say that we need the f53 to let there be one tire for chase to have.

Yes we should! :lol:

Just messin' around Nathan. Believe it or not, we're a low budget team too. Saving money either way will be a good thing.

Not being an owner, I know my vote won't count, but I can put in my 2 cents anyway.

We've run the F53's, 970's and Goodyears. We were also a Hoosier dealer. Some of you have heard me say all of this before, but here goes again.

The F53 is a 2 ply racing tire (slick) with relatively soft compound. That's why they are faster than the other 2 and it's also why they experience more flats. The F53 is an "air pressure tuneable" tire. In other words, you can make small changes in suspension spring rates by changing the air pressure in the tire.

The 970 is a much stiffer tire (but not as stiff as the GY) with a harder compound. It is also treaded, but it is 1" wider that the F53 which gives almost as much grip as the F53 once it gets hot. Problem is, since it's treaded it will give up grip on a long run compared to the F53 on the same run. They don't puncture easily and they last several races.

The GY is a completely different story. It is a 4 ply tire with a totally different rubber compound than the Hoosiers. The roleout is much smaller than the Hoosiers, and we found we had to change rearend ratios when we went to GY's. They don't puncture and they last for several races. Sizes are limited and you simply air them up until you get the rollout needed (in other words, they are not air tuneable).

My personable opinion is that Mary Ann was on the right track by letting all the classes use the same tire. That way TSRS teams can sell their used tires and lower classes have a good source of inexpensive tires. If you think the F53 is too fragile, then put them all on 970's or GY's, but whatever you do, keep them all on the same tires.

so we should all say that we need the f53 to let there be one tire for chase to have.

Yes we should! :lol:

Just messin' around Nathan. Believe it or not, we're a low budget team too. Saving money either way will be a good thing.

:lol: I know chase and my post wasn't directed at your team or you. It was directed at the thought that so many smaller teams should have to change because of the TSRS cars. most everyone that drives the TSRS car knows how often the need to buy tires and putting the lower class on the same tire and using the statement that there will pull offs for the lower teams just doesn't sit well with. We have talked to several TSRS teams about pull offs and alot have told us the same thing. They have said "The tires we have for pull offs we ran until nothing was left but come dig throught them and see what you can find." All the TSRS teams with good tire are probaly going to hang on to them to save the expense of tires. heck if I had one I would run the tire to the point at which they used up weither was well funded or not.

Rusty i hear your point with the breed of tires.

I think there is a different, very complex situation we have to deal with here in racing. The world is fragile, and Thunderhill has been funded by the racers & their families for so very long. San Antone has the same problem, and Houston did as well. Houston went out and found a way to put other non racing family people in the stands & gave their track a breath of fresh air.

SAS was a casualty of the dang world we live in. $$$$.. Thunderhill is working on bringing new blood into the sport as well. The enduro will be a good thing for the track. Hopefully it will bring fresh people to the stands, and this will carry over to the first race. The tire situation is one that will cause damage to the whole balance. We all want to go fast, but we all want to race. And drivers pockets are getting tapped out. All of us me included are in dire need of outside funding. If there was outside funding where purse's were increased & we had a better sponsorship demand for putting a name on our car. The F53 would be the way to go.

Right now i am just trying to keep my car on the track, and the track open with my efforts. Any reduced cost that I can feel is better for the situation. If i had someone buying my tires for me. I might say something different.. but right now.. Its hard to pay bills for the house, nevermind the race car.

By going Goodyear, the more economical tire, You make it easier for the racers to support the track, and right now.. thats what we all are trying to do... but not at the loose of my families Food or Roof.

Do you think goodyear is hurting for money?

about as much as Rick Hendrick. I didnt say theyre hurting for money. But Id be willing to bet that the goodyear distributor makes less over the Hoosier dist. He's selling you 12 gy's a year at a cheaper rate. Hoosier rep is selling you 26 tires a year at slightly higher cost. No brainer.

Rusty i hear your point with the breed of tires.

By going Goodyear, the more economical tire, You make it easier for the racers to support the track, and right now.. thats what we all are trying to do... but not at the loose of my families Food or Roof.

Aaron,

I'm not necessarily saying the tire should be the F53. All I'm saying is that the tire should be the same for all classes including TSRS.

The point of detailing all the differences was to point out that the cheapest tire is not always the cheapest tire. If you have to change rearend gear ratios to run the GY's, that will cost $250 to $500. The difference in the tires is about $5 so you can buy 50 to 100 Hoosiers before the price becomes less for the GY's. We spent over $1000 for a new pumpkin since we were going to run Hoosiers and GY's. That's a lot of tires.

Based on all the arguments, I'm actually torn between the 970's and the GY's. Here's my reasoning:

The 970 is actually the best choice for TSRS and THR cars and the lowest cost over the long run, but it would be nice to have all the tracks on the same tire. That is the only logical argument for the GY. I don't care what you all think, it's going to cost you THR racers more than you think to go to the GY. We've done it---I'm speaking from experience!

Not to disagree but as a question, I don't understand the "Goodyears are smaller" statement.. I looked at the catalog entries for the F53, 970 and GY tires and all are advertised to have between 83" - 85" rollout. Does that mean for the same advertised rollout the GYs tend to run small? for THR the difference between 83" rollout and 85" rollout should be ~ 120 RPM.

I do think we need to get it resolved ASAP so we can all plan out how to get it done, many good thoughts here that's for sure, I feel for Mary Ann and the group @ THR; that's a tough decision to make. No matter which one is used, somebody is gonna be pissed!!!

Not to disagree but as a question, I don't understand the "Goodyears are smaller" statement.. I looked at the catalog entries for the F53, 970 and GY tires and all are advertised to have between 83" - 85" rollout. Does that mean for the same advertised rollout the GYs tend to run small? for THR the difference between 83" rollout and 85" rollout should be ~ 120 RPM.

Not sure what the advertised rollout is, but a small 970 would be about 84", sometimes as small as 83 3/4. A "big" 970 is 87, sometimes as large as 87 3/4. They'll grow bigger than that if abused.

I'm planning on the goodyears being at least 2" smaller on average just to be safe.

Not sure what the advertised rollout is, but a small 970 would be about 84", sometimes as small as 83 3/4. A "big" 970 is 87, sometimes as large as 87 3/4. They'll grow bigger than that if abused.

I'm planning on the goodyears being at least 2" smaller on average just to be safe.

Chase,

I was seeing a lot of high 83s to high 84s on the right side Goodyears without overinflation and/or "sun treatment". We could get low 85s for the right side if we set the overinflated tire out in the sun for a while....

And we saw a lot of mid 80s to high 81s on the left side and able to get 82 with a little effort.

Tire pressure does not seem to make as big a circumference difference with the Goodyears as with the F53s or even the 970s, although the tire pyrometer readings show that they are about as sensitive to pressure adjustments on the tread surface as the others.

Hope this helps as you look ahead.

Nick

Chase,

I was seeing a lot of high 83s to high 84s on the right side Goodyears without overinflation and/or "sun treatment". We could get low 85s for the right side if we set the overinflated tire out in the sun for a while....

And we saw a lot of mid 80s to high 81s on the left side and able to get 82 with a little effort.

Tire pressure does not seem to make as big a circumference difference with the Goodyears as with the F53s or even the 970s, although the tire pyrometer readings show that they are about as sensitive to pressure adjustments on the tread surface as the others.

Hope this helps as you look ahead.

Nick

It does. Thanks Nick. It should also make some folks realize that, like hray said, a gear change may be in order if the GY tires are adopted.

Archived