THR - Thunder Stock & Super Stock

Mary Ann Naumann

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like last year there was a supply problem. With the increase in demand, just want to make sure that the tires will be available.

There has never been a supply shortage of 8” Goodyear tires at HMP. HMP has always maintained adequate inventory to have stagger options available. In addition, HMP has always made its entire inventory available, at cost, to THR for all races. To make it even more convenient and financially viable, HMP supplied the tires with no upfront cost and only requested payment for the tires that were actually sold. In addition, all unsold stock could be and has been returned free of charge. Often times, Graham even made the arrangements with racers to get the tires delivered to THR. However, HMP admits that it cannot control the supply requests from the THR supplier nor can HMP control the quantity that they maintain on hand. If a shortage at THR ever occurred, it would have only taken a simple phone call to make arrangements to get additional tires, to meet demands, sent to THR.

Really??? Never a shortage last year?? :huh: Then why I called both tracks last year I couldn't get any tires?? :unsure:

No saying it was the tracks fault, but try not to make statements that are not true!

i remember jerry saying he was having trouble getting tires at THR for trucks and mods at one time. and alot of truck and mod guys were pissed.

Really??? Never a shortage last year?? :huh: Then why I called both tracks last year I couldn't get any tires?? :unsure:

No saying it was the tracks fault, but try not to make statements that are not true!

Marc, you never spoke to Graham about tires because WE NEVER HAD A SHORTAGE AT HMP. Let me say it again, WE NEVER HAD A SHORTAGE OF THE 8" TIRE AT HMP.

Who did you call at HMP to inqiure about tires? It certainly was not Graham and he is the only one that handles tire orders.

We do not make any statements that we cannot back up with facts!

i called houston right before kyle last race i was told they could not send me any becausethey had to save the tires for the houston race.i finely got 4 from irvin but these are pretty hard.that is the truth......

I have spoken to Graham and he stated we never held back on tires for any races at Kyle and he never told anyone he could not supply them with tires. Also, if it was for the last race at Kyle as you state, the THR supplier returned approximately twenty 8" tires to HMP at the end of the season. Not disputing the fact that you purchased the tires from Ervin (Oval Components) but there were definitely tires available.

its funny how quickly a thread with a simple question about what tires we want to run at kyle turned into a he said they said debate. sorry this happened mary ann. hope you got the info you nedded to make a final decision about the tire (970).

HMP stocks ALOT of tires,it would be hard for me to believe that there was any kind of a shortage.You guys always seem to be against Houston,instead of everyone working against oneanother we should be working together.Graham loves racing and is an accomplished racer himself,he listens to his drivers and does the best he can.I think it's fantastic that him and Mary Ann are working together and you guys should be too.

its funny how quickly a thread with a simple question about what tires we want to run at kyle turned into a he said they said debate. sorry this happened mary ann. hope you got the info you nedded to make a final decision about the tire (970).

Agreed. Heck, I'm sorry I asked the question. I just wanted to make sure that the supply would be there for the increased demand. I sure didn't mean to start an attack on Graham or HMP. If the tires will be available, all is good, no matter what the brand.

this pole is open until Jan. 1 so even thought the rules say F53 it may change. I quess that we just have to wait until Mary Ann comes out with a ruling. the rules on the website is pretty much exactly what they gave us at the drivers meeting with a few changes.

on edit: I do wish that Mary ann would just let us know what tire we are going to so we can start getting tires. this thread has gone from a pole to just discussion because everyone has pretty much given their vote.

poll is still open, I'm sure they are weighing many options before they decide and get bombardered by all of us.

Whatever is decided, what we need to remember is that this is a make or break season in Kyle, if we fail, next year we are going to have a lot more concerns than what tire...

No matter what tire is chosen, the following is what most Midwest and NE tracks do to keep costs down:

B.    TIRE ALLOCATION- 

(1) The following tire allocation procedures are mandatory. 

(a) All tires used in competition must be purchased from the speedway. 

(B) Tires will be sold on race nights only except for a drivers initial tire invent

ory. 

Every driver will have a tire inventory, identified by identification number,

which they will use for all competition. Tires will be allocated for the driver

, not the car. 

(d) All tires will be identified by a unique identification number approved by t

rack officials.  

(e) All drivers will have an initial tire allocation of eight (8) tires to start

the season. 

(f) Each driver will have an additional weekly allocation of one (1) tire, start

ing the second week of 

competition. 

(g) Drivers may purchase their allocation for the following week after signing i

n at registration. 

(h) Drivers may purchase tires for practice purposes only, but such tires will n

ot be permitted for use in 

competition. 

(i) Any driver wishing to use up tires left over from last season may do so, how

ever,

the tires must be registered with track officials and have registration numbers

applied and recorded to that 

driver’s inventory. 

(j) The track may, from time to time, authorize the purchase of additional tires

for all drivers.  A driver may only race on tires registered to their own inven

t

ory. 

(k) If a driver ruins a tire during hot laps, heat races, or qualifying events, 

that tire may be replaced, at the discretion of the track officials, provided it

has not been used in any previous event.  Tires will not be 

replaced after the start of the feature event, or on the following week. 

(l) If a driver purchases or registers their next week’s allocation and fails to

compete in the featured event, 

that driver will not be able to register their weekly allocation at their next a

ppearance.  In the event of a rainout prior to the start of the feature event, b

u

t after the tires have been purchased or registered, there will beno allocation 

f

or that night. 

(m) Any driver that competes in a race with tires that are not registered to the

ir inventory will be disqualified from the event and forfeit all points and purs

e

monies for the event.  Any driver caught trying to alter, 

duplicate, or in any other way circumvent the intent of the tire rules, will be 

severely penalized.   

(n) A driver may not sell their tires to other competitor’s for use during compe

tition.   

C. TIRE DECLARATION – 

(1) Each driver must declare, to track officials in writing, the tires that they

will be running prior to any heat 

races or feature events. 

(2) Failure to declare such tires or failure to compete on declared tires will r

esult in disqualification, loss of 

points, and loss of purse money for the event.  

I don't think we will see a tire allocation due to the fact that the track needs to sell tire for the bottoms line.

hray - you are correct. That rule was implemented under my direction at SAS after a rather detailed tire test session...

Nathan - You may not believe this, but SAS actually sold more tires using the "one-tire-a-week" rule. Instead of 3 teams buying 4, all the teams bought one. Running takes offs was a thing of the past...

Nick

Archived