THR - Thunder Stock & Super Stock

Mary Ann Naumann

Thunderhill Raceway Racers,

We do listen... ;) So, I am going to open a poll to hear from you, the drivers or car owners of THR Thunder Stocks and A-Line Super Stocks. Please indicate your choice of running the Hoosier F53 or the Goodyear G24 (same as Pro Modifieds and Pro Trucks). The 2008 price for the F53 is $124 including tax; the price for the G24 is $108 including tax. (The lower Goodyear price is available through a long-term contract established by Houston Motorsports Park. The price could increase substantially in 2009 when the contract expires.)

We will gather the votes from this thread and call or email the drivers that do not respond in order to get as much input from all involved.

All responses (votes) must indicate the THR class, car number and true name. One vote per car. You must be a 2007 and/or 2008 registered THR TS or SS. If you prefer to not post publicly you may email me @ maluvsracing@aol.com.

This does not affect the TSRS Late Models; they will remain on the Hoosier F53.

The THR Management Team will make a final decision on the tire choice. This poll will be open until January 1st. Thank you for your time. We appreciate each and everyone that has contacted us, as your input is very important to us. More importantly, we appreciate the manner in which you each approached us.

Merry Christmas to each of you and your families. :)It is going to be a great 08!

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Naumann

and THR 08 Management Team

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to talk to the rest of our team before voting, but I'm dissapointed to see that TSRS can't be on the same tire as everyone else. This will likely play a major part in our vote. When you're running 2 cars, it sure helps to have them on the same tire. ;)

If you put TSRS cars on them then they can sell their take offs to lower classes saving everyone money!!

Thanks for the input! Just a polite FYI... TSRS tires will not be changing, we originally were changing THR TS & SS to the F53s like TSRS for their pull offs, which is still an option or pull offs from Pro Mod and Trucks!

Good Year #12 Thunder Stock, Jody Wayne Stuart (Owner) Brandon Brown (Driver)

Good Year #12 Street Stock, Melinda Helton (Owner) Jody Wayne Stuart (Driver)

SS #99, Stapp - Hoosier F53. Sorry guys, it just doesnt' make sense to try and run 2 cars on different rubber. It would be different if TSRS was part of the deal.

I understand that TSRS is probably under contractual obligations with Hoosier, so I don't blame the series for holding firm on their selection. It's just the way it goes.

Mary Ann, thanks for asking.

If there is a contractual obligation between Hooiser and TSRS, wouldn't they accept a change to the 970s? Don't understand...why it would matter to them which tire you purchase???

That would be great. I'd definately change our vote if that were the case, but I figured the 970 was not on the table for a reason.

OK, I'm a mod but here is my mine:

Thunder Stock & Super Stock - 970's

TSRS - F53's

Pro-Mods - F53's for engine ruled cars - 970's on open motor cars (weight & left% the same for both)

Pro-Trucks - F53's or 970's (need some feedback from the trucks?)

This way it is an all Hoosier track (help from Hoosier Tires Southwest/Smiley's, i.e. kickback on sales, point fund, free tire, etc...) with plenty of take offs of 970's & F53's

Does THR need to be under contract with HMP? ;)

I'm trying to figure how we wound up going to the F53, which was ok, then everyone wanted to save money and keep the 970 but we've somehow wound up with the Goodyear becoming the option. In that case we should just keep the 970.

I'm guessing the 970 was never an option...or so it appears.

My understanding is that the hoosier is not an option for the truck/mod guys since we're running 1 or maybe 2 other tracks that are goodyear tracks and I know that I sure don't want to have to run 2 seperate tires, that's why the message from Mary-Ann stated TS & SS

Is there a significant speed pickup when bolting on 4 new Goodyears in place of 2 week old Goodyears?

I know the F53's will have a substantial speed pickup new vs. 2 wk old.

What about the 970's?

Thanks,

Mel

Nick has talked about the Goodyear being durable and repeatable after several heat cycles. That has been my experience with the 970 as well. We see very little drop in lap times from race 1 to race 3 or 4 with the 970s.

Is there a significant speed pickup when bolting on 4 new Goodyears in place of 2 week old Goodyears?

I know the F53's will have a substantial speed pickup new vs. 2 wk old.

What about the 970's?

Thanks,

Mel

Nick has talked about the Goodyear being durable and repeatable after several heat cycles. That has been my experience with the 970 as well. We see very little drop in lap times from race 1 to race 3 or 4 with the 970s.

Mel and Chase,

I have worked with both the Goodyears (last season) and the 970s (over several seasons) at both THR and HMP. I can assure you that the Goodyear is far more repeatable and somewhat more durable than the 970s in all cases. I am attempting to leave any politics out of this, but I would feel badly if I did not share what I know to be true both HMP and THR.

The other factor is that the Goodyears are not at their fastest until they have several solid heat cycles in them. So it really doesn't do anyone any good to go out and buy new tires every week since the old tires are actually faster than the new ones! And, the times do not drop off over many, many heat cycles.

But, be warned! When the Goodyears do drop off it's dramatic. You won't have to guess when it's time to bolt on different rubber.. LOL.

I can fully understand and appreciate why a track would choose to honor whatever financial/contractual agreements they have with a particular tire vendor and am not suggesting that if such arrangements are in place that they should be broken. But strictly from the suspension engineering standpoint, the Goodyears are a much better choice than the 970s in all departments except, perhaps, that they a tenth or two slower when compared to the 970s very best laps.

Nick

Archived