THR - Thunder Stock & Super Stock

Mary Ann Naumann

<_< 80"-84" on the Goodyears, that's it!!! What happens to the ride height rule we have to abide by for Thunders??? If I sit my car on tires this small I am not sure it will meet the 6" height rule. Then What??? :( Lenny66

you go run on a dirt track. where the rules do not change as much thank you I.M.C.A.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<_< 80"-84" on the Goodyears, that's it!!! What happens to the ride height rule we have to abide by for Thunders??? If I sit my car on tires this small I am not sure it will meet the 6" height rule. Then What??? :( Lenny66

The more typical circumference range is 82 - 85 on the Goodyears. The numbers that I provided earlier, in the interest of accuracy, included pretty much both ends of the circumference range.

And, unless my memory has completely failed (which, at times, I suspect it has), the F-53s run about two inches greater in circumference than the Goodyears - which translates to about 0.6 inch in actual ride height. I'm not a gear man, but it doesn't sound like a biggie unless you are already running at absolute max RPMs already and you are concerned that another 120 RPMs will grenade the engine.

Nick

:o Nick, My concern is ride height, not 120 RPM's, that's a gimme. Trying to maintain a 6" height and correct stagger is my concern with tire size. A no "minimum" clearance rule would suit me just fine.

Lenny66 B)

13.) RIDE HEIGHT

a.) The ride height must be 6-inches from the lowest point of the frame to the ground, with the driver out of the car.

. Any obstruction, at any point under the car, below the 6” minimum height is considered to low. Regardless of what part of the car is obstructing the 6” wheel. The only exemption is if deemed by the technical inspector that race damage from the same night is the cause of the infraction.

:o Nick, My concern is ride height, not 120 RPM's, that's a gimme. Trying to maintain a 6" height and correct stagger is my concern with tire size. A no "minimum" clearance rule would suit me just fine.

Lenny66 B)

13.) RIDE HEIGHT

a.) The ride height must be 6-inches from the lowest point of the frame to the ground, with the driver out of the car.

. Any obstruction, at any point under the car, below the 6” minimum height is considered to low. Regardless of what part of the car is obstructing the 6” wheel. The only exemption is if deemed by the technical inspector that race damage from the same night is the cause of the infraction.

the old road runner rulles had a 5" rule did they not.

you go run on a dirt track. where the rules do not change as much thank you I.M.C.A.

Thr does not change there rules that much, this is one of the most costly changes made in along time.

Lenny... If you need help changing your ride height let me know... I have a secret... that is well very very easy to do.. and works great.... doesn't change spring rate's

Thanx Aaron, I will probably be getting in touch with you. ;) Happy Holidays to you and your family. :D

Lenny66 B)

Lenny,

I should have explained that better.

The tire change we are looking at will probably make about 2/3-inch difference in ride height from what you have been running.

Here is a handy dandy little chart that lets you translate tire circumferences to total tire height assuming that the tire is perfectly round - which it's not when supporting several hundred pounds of weight. I mention that because the Goodyears's sidewalls are much stiffer than the F-53s and even the 970s. That means that the Goodyear's sidewalls will not "sag" as much when under load as the F-53s and 970s. It also means that the ride height difference between the two brands will not be as much as the math says it should be....which is why I'm predicting only 1/2- to 2/3-inch changes in ride heights between the Goodyears and the Hoosiers.

86 inches in circumference = 27.37 inches in total tire height

85 inches in circumference = 27.05 inches in total tire height

84 inches in circumference = 26.73 inches in total tire height

83 inches in circumference = 26.42 inches in total tire height

82 inches in circumference = 26.10 inches in total tire height

81 inches in circumference = 25.78 inches in total tire height

Nick

Not to disagree but as a question, I don't understand the "Goodyears are smaller" statement for THR the difference between 83" rollout and 85" rollout should be ~ 120 RPM.

First of all, in the real world, the rollout difference is 2" - 3". Every time we went thru Graham's inventory, we found alot more 81's than 85's. We don't live in Houston so we may not have been getting the best pick. We ran 3" rear stagger and 1" front stagger at HMP (slightly less rear at THR), so we did a lot of "sunshine treatment". Second, the rollout difference equals 200 - 300 rpm at either track. That may not make any difference if you're not pushing your engine, but we cam'ed our engines for a certain rpm range and that difference made the difference between the car snapping off the turn or 'leisurely' :lol: driving off. I'm being fecious, but front runners/competitive teams in any class tune their cars on the edge. Not necessarily on the edge of grenading, but tuned to maximum performance. 200 rpm does make a difference!

There is a difference in ride height. That shouldn't make much difference for classes with weight jacks or c/o's, but the lower classes that can't use suspension adjuster may have a hard time raising the ride height.

As I said, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would like to see all the classes on the same tire no matter which one it is. That has to include TSRS because that is where most of the pulloffs are going to come from.

the old road runner rulles had a 5" rule did they not.

Mine was 5", everyone else in the Road Runners had to have 6". Story of my life.

what about letting us stay on the 970s for one more year? then next year have everyone switch to the F53. that way it give us a year to get pull offs from the TSRS guys and a year to get off the tires we have. Espically considering this is a make or break year (as others have stated) for the track. I don't believe it would be a good thing if car counts drop do to people not being able to purchase tires rather they be goodyears or F53. It would be alot easier to make the switch to the F53s if we had a year to get some together rather than an off season.

you'll go through 6 sets of take offs to one new set of goodyear.

somebody has to pay full price and sooner or later those take offs may not be available when you REALLY want them.

this way everybody races , everybody also races by their own budget and likeness of need. not everybody has an over abundance of take offs.

Question for the track management team - will there be a good selection of tires at the track if Goodyear is the tire of choice? Seems like last year there was a supply problem. With the increase in demand, just want to make sure that the tires will be available.

Thanks

Question for the track management team - will there be a good selection of tires at the track if Goodyear is the tire of choice? Seems like last year there was a supply problem. With the increase in demand, just want to make sure that the tires will be available.

Thanks

i think the track will have the same selection of tires no mater what tire they go with just my .02

lucky for us your .02 is just that, or less.

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

Ok Jody i have let you wait long enough for my vote.

I would perfer to run the American Racer Tires but i'll

vote for the Goodyears.

JAMES HUFF / # 37 THUNDERSTOCK

LMAO, American Racers. Thanks, but I knew that it would be another vote for the GY. Looking forward to your mirrors down here.

i got on goodyears web site.left sides are as follows ;softer tire#2462 hard tire#2464[advertised rollout 82"footprint 11".] 26.5

right sides;softer tire #2663, hard tires#2665[advertised roll out 84.5 footprint 11.5] 27.0 is that why some poked better then others??

which one are they buying???

houston has the softer ones on there rules.

here is a link to the specs on the goodyear tire the g24

http://www.racegoodyear.com/pdf/2007_price_book/asphalt.pdf

here is the hoosier tire link for the 970s and F53 (go to specs)

https://www.hoosiertire.com/otatire.htm

AT this point I wish they would just make a decision that way we can start looking for tire or start setting them up.

Seems like last year there was a supply problem. With the increase in demand, just want to make sure that the tires will be available.

There has never been a supply shortage of 8” Goodyear tires at HMP. HMP has always maintained adequate inventory to have stagger options available. In addition, HMP has always made its entire inventory available, at cost, to THR for all races. To make it even more convenient and financially viable, HMP supplied the tires with no upfront cost and only requested payment for the tires that were actually sold. In addition, all unsold stock could be and has been returned free of charge. Often times, Graham even made the arrangements with racers to get the tires delivered to THR. However, HMP admits that it cannot control the supply requests from the THR supplier nor can HMP control the quantity that they maintain on hand. If a shortage at THR ever occurred, it would have only taken a simple phone call to make arrangements to get additional tires, to meet demands, sent to THR.

Archived