Claiming Rule

24nomo

7 hours ago, 24nomo said:

Claiming rules are all good until something gets claimed.  LOL

Say what you will, but "in the day" that IMCA $325 straight claim kept racing a lot more affordable than today.....A 3k Blaines claimer was the normal for people that couldn't build their own.....Not like 8k for a gm 602 crate, plus another grand for a tuned set of headers and another grand for a carb(1,500 if on alcohol)......Then you put it in a 40k Lethal Chassis😧

#racingistooexpensive

#racersaretheirownworstenemy

#750orswapdoesntwork

Since you don't follow dirt stuff, who/what got claimed?

2 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

Say what you will, but "in the day" that IMCA $325 straight claim kept racing a lot more affordable than today.....A 3k Blaines claimer was the normal for people that couldn't build their own.....Not like 8k for a gm 602 crate, plus another grand for a tuned set of headers and another grand for a carb(1,500 if on alcohol)......Then you put it in a 40k Lethal Chassis😧

#racingistooexpensive

#750orswapdoesntwork

Rick Pollaro's 2nd Place DQ in the HMP Truck Feature last Saturday Night over Shocks,  turns out that the "Claimer" was not Eligible to Make a Claim in the First Place.   It turned out to be One Big Mess for Owen & His Tech Guy.   They Finally Righted the Ship So-to-Speak.  2nd Place Money & Point were Re-Instated back to the #96 after some time hashing things out.   Claimers must be a Competitor / Driver in that same race.   A By-Stander or a Team Member from an other team attempted to make a Claim on Rick's Shocks....   Yep, Some One was Red Faced indeed !!!!

Owen Made things Right....

I remember in like 1984 SAS had a claim rule for the street stocks, I think it was $500-1500 something but you claimed and you got the whole damn car. 

Terry Brooks had been dominating SA and Austin all year in an old red nova... one night at SA Brooks was running a little off, not winning and into turn 3 of the last lap the motor let go and he had to coast around. Damn the luck a fellow competitor had claimed the car and got to take that broken down nova back to their garage,.... damn the luck. don't think we ever saw that car again. Brooks showed up in a borrowed Cantrell nova and still won the title. Good times. Anyone else remember that and remember the other driver? I'll let y'all guess. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, rebelracewriter said:

#racingistooexpensive

#750orswapdoesntwork

My dad ran IMCA cars at Lone Star, Rose Bowl and Thunder Hill in Jacksonville with the claim rule, and it really did police things a lot.  I remember he'd go to the used car auction and bring all these $500 trucks home to steal the motors out of them for that class, haha.  

There are 16 million folks within an hour of HMP, the take rate on participation shows the costs involved need to be re-evaluated.  I think the shock claim rule is a good idea, but some fine tuning. Didn't help that the rulebook hasn't been updated yet since the hastily copy-pasted one that has some parts that aren't fully written or developed in it, Owen and Karl are great but they're rebuilding what was never really built in the first place.  I think it's pretty reasonable to give them props for saying "hey we made an error here, let's make it right".

Why are we still claiming stuff? I don't know what the claim fee is but I guarantee it does not cover the cost of those shocks and it makes total sense why he wouldn't give them up. He saved more money by taking the dq than giving up the shocks with what would of cost to replace.

Edited by Josh42

Yes, very true.  But as long as you let those guys run the $1000 shocks, $6000 transmissions and cheated up crates, the normal guys have no chance.   Texas racing died for a reason....thats it.  

This is five flags rule.....Copy and paste it, they do well there

"10. Only one shock permitted per wheel. All shocks must be steel, non-adjustable. Claim rule will be $175.00 per shock by Track or Competitor. (Shock must be claimed within ten (10) minutes of completion of Victory Lane ceremonies, in cash, presented to the Head Tech Official.)

Edited by 24nomo

12 hours ago, 24nomo said:

Yes, very true.  But as long as you let those guys run the $1000 shocks, $6000 transmissions and cheated up crates, the normal guys have no chance.   Texas racing died for a reason....thats it.  

You're not wrong.  I'm a normal dude that thought I was doing good with my little 6 figure day job. Boy I've never felt so broke lol.  Keep in mind I make almost 2x the median HOUSEHOLD income by myself, and I'm really the bottom rung of the local amateur pavement class.  

"10. Only one shock permitted per wheel. All shocks must be steel, non-adjustable. Claim rule will be $175.00 per shock by Track or Competitor. (Shock must be claimed within ten (10) minutes of completion of Victory Lane ceremonies, in cash, presented to the Head Tech Official.)

This is mostly how the rule is written now.  The previous promoter copy pasted this and Gina's rulebook from Mobile and did some partial unproofread editing and cuts in there.

I would appreaciate a reasonable claim rule for adjustable shocks.  It's kinda frustrating to have to change the entire shock when you want to make a change.  I can adjust them on my own by myself, I've been doing that for a long time, but buliding/swapping them anytime I want to change, and all the guys having 10 sets of front shocks because we're "saving costs" by not having an adjustment knob isn't saving anyone money.  

Claim rule, adjustable shocks instead of 10 shocks, seems sensible to me.  But what do I know.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:00 AM, MikePeters95 said:

My dad ran IMCA cars at Lone Star, Rose Bowl and Thunder Hill in Jacksonville with the claim rule, and it really did police things a lot.  I remember he'd go to the used car auction and bring all these $500 trucks home to steal the motors out of them for that class, haha.  

Mike as you may recall there were stipulations on IMCA claims even back then, had to be a driver in the event/member in good standing, finish on the lead lap and the claimer had to pass tech along with the top four.....Thunder Mountain was in Rusk/Jacksonville, Thunderhill was the asphalt track in Kyle....They once had a "claim class" the Grand Stocks that ANYONE could claim a whole car for $1,000....Great until it got used, the claim was denied and the rule dropped.

22 hours ago, Josh42 said:

I don't know what the claim fee is but I guarantee it does not cover the cost of those shocks

Josh, I believe that's the whole point of "claim rules."

1 hour ago, rebelracewriter said:

Mike as you may recall there were stipulations on IMCA claims even back then, had to be a driver in the event/member in good standing, finish on the lead lap and the claimer had to pass tech along with the top four.....Thunder Mountain was in Rusk/Jacksonville, Thunderhill was the asphalt track in Kyle....They once had a "claim class" the Grand Stocks that ANYONE could claim a whole car for $1,000....Great until it got used, the claim was denied and the rule dropped.

Yep, it's been a while.  It was so long ago I'm pretty sure I was in grade school trying to grow a mustache, lol.

Top 4 had to park on the front straight, anyone who finished on lead lap could claim their stuff.  Didn't happen often, but it did every once in a while which was good for the class to be honest, because it kept people from getting out of control.  Every once in a while someone would check out, and rest assured that motor wasn't going home with them.  This was back when Lone Star was the big 1/2 mile high banked setup where power mattered too.  Cool track, always wanted to race there but that place is long gone, just like $500 running driving cars with SBC, and long blocks getting claimed for a few hundred bucks.  While that specific rule set won't work, the fundamental idea still will and does.  

Tough situation.  The money guys run what they want, and if they get claimed, they refuse and they are never coming back.     The track loses a car or two and probably a sponsor.     Maybe the claim rule should be the part is confiscated if they do not comply.   Maybe that is more of a deterrent than a DQ.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:00 AM, MikePeters95 said:

There are 16 million folks within an hour of HMP, the take rate on participation shows the costs involved need to be re-evaluated.  I think the shock claim rule is a good idea, but some fine tuning. Didn't help that the rulebook hasn't been updated yet since the hastily copy-pasted one that has some parts that aren't fully written or developed in it, Owen and Karl are great but they're rebuilding what was never really built in the first place.  I think it's pretty reasonable to give them props for saying "hey we made an error here, let's make it right".

OWEN  is known  to be fair and may  make a mistake but will  own  up to them .. 

2 hours ago, 24nomo said:

Tough situation.  The money guys run what they want, and if they get claimed, they refuse and they are never coming back.     The track loses a car or two and probably a sponsor.     Maybe the claim rule should be the part is confiscated if they do not comply.   Maybe that is more of a deterrent than a DQ.

IF U LOSE A CAR a driver and team    that wont pass tech or care to  . U lost nothing .. u gain in the end  when drivers notice  the track is not playing  any games .and i would want to race there .. if u are worried about a car or two  not coming back over not passing tech  .you  should not be running a race track .. this is coming from an actual use  to be  car owner builder  driver  and team mates to others ... till i retired from racing of late ... i care not to race at any track who will not tech who will not penalize .

On 7/12/2023 at 9:15 AM, 24nomo said:

Strong disagree.  Nobody wants to play in the sandbox with special treatment.  

There are 16 million people within 3 hours of Houston.  Seeing some the stuff that used to be allowed and how much money some these dudes spend to cheat up their stuff, I understand why the take rate on participation is less than one in a million.  I'm glad something is getting done to clamp down on it and all this backdoor nonsense is coming to an end.  

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I say no claim rule. Everyone brings their cars to the track in accordance with the rules supply by the track. If someone appears to be outrunning everyone else due to possibly rule infractions, tech them. If they fail tech, then run them off. No one should have to race and not be competitive because someone has an immoral thought that the rules don't apply to them. A strong tech program and a strong track promoter should be able to enforce this. 

The ability and time available for any track's Saturday night tech will always be overshadowed by the ability and motivation of entire cottage industries to provide parts to defeat it.  How, for instance, will you detect a cheater cam in a "sealed" 602?  A lightweight rotating assembly in the same engine?   

Or would you have a heads-off inspection, like we did in San Antonio fifty years ago?

If you had a rule mandating parts-store replacement shocks, would you have the track buy a shock dyno to verify?  

Tech, as circumscribed by the time and skill available, pretty well indicates what can and can not be checked.  And a roadmap for where to cheat.

Edited by Bobby