NASCAR in LA

JamesHigdon

I’m gonna say it; if you haven’t enjoyed the heats and LCQ at the coliseum you’re not a short track racing fan.

Now, would I have preferred NASCAR run an existing 1/4 mile track like Bowman/Gray or Wenatchee Valley…yes 100%…but I also understand the spectacle of this race to start the year. Do I think NASCAR should run the clash and the Allstar race rotating at local short track…yes of course but again I get why they don’t.

All that aside the racing has been spectacular and anyone that denies that isn’t watching. I haven’t said this a lot recently but way to go NASCAR!

Edited by JamesHigdon

13 minutes ago, HiTech said:

JUST AS I THOUGHT  those half shafts wont make it in nascar .. .. a road course will prove that even more .. id  say it was a win for nascar  over all  . i really wasnt all that impressed  good show but it missed a few htings .. ..

Transaxles have been around for decades in Indy and like series.  On a 1/4 mile bullring, no!  But on the 1 1/2 to 2 mile tracks they should be just fine.
The events in LA today were actually fun to watch.  I miss the short track days.  Sadly this was a one off event and they will start tearing that track apart tomorrow.  But it was fun to watch, especially the 2nd crashfast last chance race.  
NASCAR lost its roots and is trying to be politically correct, and personally lost most interest.
Next Gen cars, eh, we shall see what happens.  But again, the politically correct crap has got to go.
Let's get back to real racing.

3 hours ago, trlrider said:

Transaxles have been around for decades in Indy and like series.  On a 1/4 mile bullring, no!  But on the 1 1/2 to 2 mile tracks they should be just fine.
The events in LA today were actually fun to watch.  I miss the short track days.  Sadly this was a one off event and they will start tearing that track apart tomorrow.  But it was fun to watch, especially the 2nd crashfast last chance race.  
NASCAR lost its roots and is trying to be politically correct, and personally lost most interest.
Next Gen cars, eh, we shall see what happens.  But again, the politically correct crap has got to go.
Let's get back to real racing.

REAL RACING STARTS AT OUR LOCAL TRACKS SOON . and politically crap is very silent.  .

Edited by HiTech

nascar is a nationally televised so yes they have to be somewhat "Politically Correct".  but they have said that there will be no more political sponsorships.  they said no more dixie flag because a lot of people said it made them uncomfortable (I don't agree with this one) but it did bring in new owners and fans.  I don't like Bubba but if you notice a lot of his sponsors also sponsor the telecast.  Brandon Brown took their sponsor to a mid level person for approval during the holidays and just said it was a bitcoin sponsor and didn't include the LGB part.  he was already told no earlier.      

I finally got to watch the race late last night.  I missed all the heat races and lcq's. But for what I saw I thought it was great.  To see Justin Haley running in the top 4 until the trans-axle broke was pretty impressive. Watching the qualifying was great and to see some people from the lower funded teams running towards the top was a nice change. There was a lot of people in the stands come main even time, and a i would guarantee there was a lot of people in those stands who had never been to a nascar race that are now hooked. That race is what NASCAR needs more of and the fans got their monies worth. 

4 million people checked in and between 55-60k in the place was a sure win for NASCAR. That TV number is impressive IMO since there are many eyes glued to the winter olympics.

Now if they can get Daytona in without a weather delay there is going to be some great momentum. From Adam Stern:

earned a 2.32 rating and 4.283 million viewers for Sunday's Busch Light Clash

, up 168% in viewership from last year and the best for the event since 2016 when it was called the Sprint Unlimited

well, it's like anything else most people don't like the NFL, MLB, NASCAR, F1, Olympics, and so forth. Most of that for no reason about the game or race. It's the world today everyone has a sour opinion about everything let's see what Daytona does. Just hope 1000's of people check out Volusia, STARS, The World Series, WOO and can find something + to bring them back. By the way, HOT has a BIG Enduro this weekend too. 

I heard an interesting take on the Door Bumper Clear podcast yesterday. They stated that people who had a didnt like the race or show their mind was made up before the race ever happened and their mind would not be changed. If you look at what Nascar did just for this race and was able to accomplish is pretty impressive. They spent a lot of money on this show just to have a track built that two weeks from the race date will be gone. If anything what this race showed nascar is that they need more short tracks and that the fans really enjoyed it. This could usher in races to South Boston, Hickory, Irwindale, Pensacola. We already know that they want to go back to Nashville and SMI and the state of North Carolina are pumping a lot of money in North Wilkesboro cleaning it up and renovating the property with plans to bring a race back to the track. The rumor is they also want to venture back to Rockingham. With the new television deal coming I think we are on the verge of big changes. One play you will see changes is TMS with Eddie Gossage no longer at TMS you will see things change there as he was one of the big reasons they still had the two races.

yep, it's about to get real. where this was a gamble was do you guarantee yourself 17,000 fans at B/G and have a race or roll the dice and hope for maybe 50k at LA. They lucked out and got almost 60K with the massive TV numbers. at B/G you would have not needed Ice Cube but honestly, would they have filled B/G? hell who knows lol

it's a shift long gone are the days of 130k people at a race hell I don't wanna be in that mess, other than Indy. those glory days of attendance in the '90s have passed a new norm on a good day is 130k for Daytona. new business model indeed.

20 hours ago, Josh42 said:

I heard an interesting take on the Door Bumper Clear podcast yesterday. They stated that people who had a didnt like the race or show their mind was made up before the race ever happened and their mind would not be changed. If you look at what Nascar did just for this race and was able to accomplish is pretty impressive. They spent a lot of money on this show just to have a track built that two weeks from the race date will be gone. If anything what this race showed nascar is that they need more short tracks and that the fans really enjoyed it. This could usher in races to South Boston, Hickory, Irwindale, Pensacola. We already know that they want to go back to Nashville and SMI and the state of North Carolina are pumping a lot of money in North Wilkesboro cleaning it up and renovating the property with plans to bring a race back to the track. The rumor is they also want to venture back to Rockingham. With the new television deal coming I think we are on the verge of big changes. One play you will see changes is TMS with Eddie Gossage no longer at TMS you will see things change there as he was one of the big reasons they still had the two races.

Well they have already sent the TMS srping race to Austin. And I highly doubt that the All Star race is going to stay at TMS for any significant amount of time. I go to the fall race up there every year, and the attendance is terrible as much as I hate to say it. So how long do they keep putting up with that on the schedule? I do suspect that things are going to get interesting in regards to schedule changes. 

On 2/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, RodneyRodriguez said:

Great point I am worried about TMS, hell even the Indy Car races there lately have gotten a little stale and not well attended.

I am concerned about it as well. They are going to have to step up there game up there to get some folks to show up. I got concerned when SMI pull the spring date and went to Austin with it. Whats to say they won't do the same with the fall race and take it somewhere else. 

4 hours ago, rails said:

I am concerned about it as well. They are going to have to step up there game up there to get some folks to show up. I got concerned when SMI pull the spring date and went to Austin with it. Whats to say they won't do the same with the fall race and take it somewhere else. 

I don't see them getting rid of all the NASCAR races in Texas. Texas still made out with them moving one race to Austin and gaining the All Star race. Who's to say it won't stay this way for a few years?

Edited by Radical

18 hours ago, Radical said:

I don't see them getting rid of all the NASCAR races in Texas. Texas still made out with them moving one race to Austin and gaining the All Star race. Who's to say it won't stay this way for a few years?

I promise you they are not keeping that All Star race at TMS very long. My guess is 3 years tops. And maybe just 2. I viewed that as a bone they threw to Eddie after they sent the spring race to Austin. They may already have an under the table agreement on how long it will stay at TMS. And once they pull the All Star race then that leaves the Indy car race and the fall race. And if it continues to be 20 grand in the stands, they, NASCAR, won't keep putting up with that. They just won't.

By listening to the podcasts I have listened to that involve people in the industry a lot of them wish they were going somewhere else other than Texas. Not because they don't like going to Texas its just that they know the race will be boring. I totally agree that the all-star was a bone for Eddie, he was the one that constantly said he would not give up a race for one to go to COTA. Now this new car could change things up and the place be racey again but I doubt it.

Well, I dont think it is boring at all.  The fact is, Texas does not have the fans that support Nascar any more.    They will do well at COTA, because there are tons of tatted up, blue haired youngsters with a pocket full of money in Austin.    The old fans mostly are keyboard warriors now.   COTA will have some other attractions to get theme their.  Mark this post.