Liberty Bell race thoughts

turbotoddie

First, great show last night and I was so happy to see racing in Houston again! Thanks to Raymond and all that made it happen!

Checkered flag: Pro mods-awesome car count, great racing. Trucks were a great show also. Pro lates had a good show, more in the middle of the field, cars looked exceptional! Ecos were entertaining for everyone as well.

Black flag: Too many classes, watched many people leave after the Mods (mostly those with children-10pm-ish), difficult to sit there that long. Expected a large field of Super Stocks and was disappointed, hopefully all can agree on a ruleset to get more cars out. Finally, took too long to get lineups during cautions.(don't know if transponders were in use or what)

to whoever ordered the weather, PERFECT job!!!!

Please don't turn this into a bash

This is just a view from the seats, wish I could be on track!

Ended up watching the race on RaceonTexas due to some unforeseen issues but agree with Todd; from home the racing and turn out where pretty good. Agree on too many classes and agree on hoping the Street Stocks get everything worked out because short of another unavoidable issue popping up I'll be there in the fall!

Thanks to everyone who organized all this...all the way back to the March 18th practice. After going to that practice with my Dad I was greatly motivated to fulfill my dream to race.

I had an abundance of help from many people including my Dad(#55 John W), Robert B and John C to get my Super Stock built and on the track. Not a chance in hell in would have done in under 4 MONTHS from nothing. Many racers helped me find everything I needed to build the car too. I greatly appreciate everything everyone did.

I've been around HMP for a while and really enjoyed the Super stocks having heat races....but the excess of classes killed that. Having Brad as the race director also really cut down all the BS, very clean cut. However it seemed the race schedule kept changing. It was a bit different having the pro mods going first when they're normally the most drawn out class. The fans could have seen the Super stocks and trucks run in the time it took the pro mods to race with all their cautions.

I'm looking forward to racing in September, my car will be tuned in much better and hopefully the event planners will take on some suggestions for the next race.

Also on another note...let's keep those outlaw Super stocks in Florida, I can't understand why a couple of those cars were even in the class. Super stocks don't run 15.5s in the blistering heat of July

Fantastic night! So glad to see racing back at HMP.

I am not going to make any comments about the calling of races. People see that differently. However I have to make a comment about the yellow flags. You absolutely cannot put driver's in danger with cars stopped on the track, especially when driver's side doors are exposed to oncoming traffic. I stopped counting at 7 throughout the night and it continued. Racing is racing, calls are calls from the box, but there is absolutely no room for error in regards to driver safety.

This needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Otherwise, great show and great grandstand turn out. I hope it makes for a successful return!

ja lane I was shocked to hear bout the lack of that safety concern from my son that was the first thing he talked about , . yellows slow a show down and not a fan favorite

and the hoping the car is going to move isn't always a good thought process . as for too many classes seeing they planed on just two races this season they had to draw all the classes they could get , to sure that least they would have some classes with enough cars to put on a show . my bet is their nerves were shot to hell leading up to this show not really knowing what truly the turn out would be ..a large gamble now they have a gauge for the future if there is one

In Brad's defense, he announced in the driver's meetings that yellows would be slow to fly unless there was obvious danger. He is well aware that many drivers have used the "fire up after the yellow flies" approach in order to save a lap, and was determined to stop that practice since it slows the show down unnecessisarily.

Right or wrong, he was true to his word, although I know he is taking flack for it.

With lightning flashing all around the track from late afternoon until late in the evening, Raymond dodged a bullet this time. Had any or all of those cells hit the track, the red ink would likely be flowing on Monday morning.

Congrats to the whole TARS team for pulling this show off. I hope the next one is even better!

Nick

He is well aware that many drivers have used the "fire up after the yellow flies" approach in order to save a lap, and was determined to stop that practice since it slows the show down unnecessisarily.

Nick

It is AMAZING how many cars are able to continue on at tracks that have the rule where you are out of the race if you bring out a solo yellow in the heat race or two in the feature.

Nick,

That's a perfectly fine approach in almost all instances UNLESS the driver's door is exposed to oncoming traffic that is at speed. It's the easiest way to get someone seriously injured or killed. If there were an incident and an insurance company heard that philosophy or saw the tape there would definitely be a problem.

This post asked for comments. This is mine. I thought the night was fantastic and that is my one recommendation. Driver safety should always come first.

JL

Don't get me wrong, Ja. I'm all in for safe racing. We're actually on the same page here.

Over the span of three decades, I've been Race Director or Chief Steward or Competition Director for two different tracks and several different racing series and I was always quick to call for yellows. I figured the show would somehow survive even if I were a bit quick calling for the caution flag. The only exception was when Fox Gibson was flagging at SAS. I gave him complete control over the cautions. Yes, he was that good. RIP Fox.

In Mr. Dixon's case, I was simply trying to explain where he was coming from by throwing late yellows.

Nick

Also on another note...let's keep those outlaw Super stocks in Florida, I can't understand why a couple of those cars were even in the class. Super stocks don't run 15.5s in the blistering heat of July

Outlaw super stocks of the Florida rules were not allowed to run

First, like others I'm glad that we were part of something bigger than ourselves...now that the gratuities are done...

I had a rough night and was not happy...I was very proud to see my son get his first laps in but sitting at the apex of 1&2 you could clearly see the advantage certain cars had. Yes, I'm glad that they adopted the CTS rules. Unfortunately, in these situations we don't learn to expect the unexpected...any car can be beat..mine, his, hers, yours - anyone's...but I have held back on doing certain things to my car for fear of losing the 'stock car' sense to it...I will be revisiting this very closely...some will be shamed by the speed gained from the changes I make...

To all the other 'Super Stocks' - I'll be seeing you soon...I too think the tires played a role...

As a participant I thought all went well from my perspective. But then again I'm not running the show so I don't know where the problems were. As for too many classes what is the solution when there is only one asphalt track in Texas, what classes do you cut, or do you start racing earlier? CTS ran on average 10-11 classes a race to accommodate all the racers. HMP had 8 and it still was a late night of racing but the stands were still pretty damn full when the TPS rolled out. Regardless all I can do is thank HMP and all those who made it possible for putting this race on.

I can only speak as a participant, but I was amazed by how close to the schedule the event was! I thought our TPS race would be after midnight. Thanks again to everyone at HMP to make this a success. Thanks also for including so many that have no where else to race.

I am certain that Raymond and his staff are aware that some folks are concerned with the Super Stock rules. Not need to keep bringing that up in light of the overall success this event enjoyed.

Thanks.

Nick

One race in. Learning the system and how to run a program, what a turnout! Please, please, please fill the stands and pits Sept 23rd. This right here friends is a dress rehearsal, have a feeling if the next one is a home run 2018 could be exciting.

Thanks to the Texas Asphalt Racing Series for putting it together and all the teams and fans that showed up.

And a huge thanks to all those NOT getting on Facebook to bash/attack/criticize the Liberty 200, Raymond and his volunteer crew who worked so hard to bring the HMP oval back to life.

Nick

Too many classes is fine for a special event. If, hopefully, they go to a regular series next year, they'll have to cut it down. We left after the truck race. But we still had a great time.

My only negative comment: Single car qualifying for the modifieds and late models. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it interesting at all to watch.

Archived