pit speed

HiTech

I agree with you on this one john. race cars should have the right away. im not agreeing to going 50 in the pits but when you have a flat and want to stay on the lead lap, every second counts. pedestrians and fans should be aware of their surroundings, especially if there is a race going on

Then you are one of em i am scared of .. THE KEY PART . want to stay on the lead lap and every second counts ..so does a life it counts more ....you can race next week a dead person cant ..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There needs to be some common sense utilized in the pits. Racers need to observe a safe pit road speed but the pedestrians need to understand what is going on around them and get out of the way. I for one was attempting to make it back to my pit stall and had to stop twice for people not paying attention and walking in the middle of the road and talking with their friends. Children need to stay within the confines of the pit stalls and if anybody is walking around the pits they need to have their head on a swivel.

A pit road in the infield would work really well at CTS. It would also add some excitement to the yellow's for the fans. They could see all the action first hand.

I doubt CTS would add that feature to the track any time soon but who knows. It looks to me like every race is getting more fans and cars. In a few years they may decide to upgrade the racing surface and add a pit road.

This discussion is always a lively one.

Yes, there are those who feel they have an implied right to speed in the pits if they have an urgent need to change a flat tire, tear off body parts, etc. This line of thinking was very prevalent when I first got involved in the sport many years ago.

Kids were not allowed in the pits. At many tracks women were not allowed in the pits. If you got hurt in the pits, it was your own damn fault. Fights in the pits were almost mandatory. Drivers who were pissed off were practically expected to tear into the pits and crash into anything/anybody in their way.

But folks, those days are long gone. If a kid were to get run over in the pits, that track had better have had very, very tight rules in place about pit safety. In today's lawyer-run world it's mandatory, no longer an option.

It's just plain reality and anyone thinking drivers have some sort of legal immunity from damage/injuries they cause in the pits are simply asking for trouble, not only for themselves, but also for the track and, in fact, for all of racing.

Don't think the press wouldn't be all over a story where a driver killed a kid in the pits? It would go national in a heart beat and calls for closing that track and all tracks would be the first thing you'd hear.

Nick

A pit road in the infield would work really well at CTS. It would also add some excitement to the yellow's for the fans. They could see all the action first hand.

I doubt CTS would add that feature to the track any time soon but who knows. It looks to me like every race is getting more fans and cars. In a few years they may decide to upgrade the racing surface and add a pit road.

yes it would ...cts use to have a hot pit going into the pits just for tire changing and such if i remember right . ...but right now they need that space .

I think the hot pit area in the center of the track is a great idea.. It can be scary back there at times, dim lights, poor vision and all the noise from the track and someone may make that one mistake that we'd all dread.. I know racing is a time sensitive sport and every second counts but for now maybe drivers could use a little self control, (can't believe I said that!) and slow down in the pits. Most do and it is appreciated. I do not want the track to ever have to face that situation of a death in the pits for any reason...

I think the hot pit area in the center of the track is a great idea.. It can be scary back there at times, dim lights, poor vision and all the noise from the track and someone may make that one mistake that we'd all dread.

I agree with the above post. I was in the pits Saturday night and noticed alot of activity that was dangerous and will result in a "reactive response" when something happens. I would like to recommend a "proactive suggestion" thats up for discussion. How about requiring that SAFETY VEST be worn by all people within the pits who aren't drivers (in a car at the time). Yes its a pain to remember to wear but it may save a life. I would hate to be the one to explain to little Johnny/Suzie(s) Mom + Dad that I'm sorry for running over their son/daughter

In all fairness to the driver in question he was not the only driver to speed in the pits Saturday night. A white dwarf car slid through and almost hit my girlfriend and the 14D TALMS car. Don't focus all the blame on one driver when there was multiple incidents

In all fairness to the driver in question he was not the only driver to speed in the pits Saturday night. A white dwarf car slid through and almost hit my girlfriend and the 14D TALMS car. Don't focus all the blame on one driver when there was multiple incidents

cody hopefully we will all learn as we go here and go in the right direction . no driver wants to be pointed .out .no track wants folks to think they have a problem .. and no one wants any one hurt and cant blame the track ..none of us are perfect .but nothing can be done if we dont come together and fix it ..i am passion on safety for those on the ground ..i know what a car feels like when it hits ..i have the skin graft to prove the three weeks i spent on my back on the 3rd floor and was with in 30 minutes and 1 inch of losing my left leg up as far as they could take it ..and the hit between the car and i was no faster than two mph .......

Cody, no one on here is focusing blame on that particular driver. If you'll go back and look through this thread, the only person who was singled out in this whole conversation was the person who admitted he was speeding in the pits. If he had not identified himself, not one person was singled out. And since then, I have made certain that no accusations have been leveled against any person or any track.

I don't allow that stuff on here and I hope by now everyone knows it.

Nick

A running car is a loaded gun ..the right foot the trigger .the left the safety lock .. me the driver aims the gun ...in a perfect world the pedestrians are on full alert and clear of the aim .we know that wont happen so before i pull the trigger i make sure no one is in my aim ... i drive through cc almost every day for work .8 hours and that can be trying red lights stop signs . pedestrians walking out in front of me .stopping cars .slow pokes and those who cant figure out where they want to go ..and the worst phone heads ....i want to get in a hurry but their safety is always on my mind ...i spend more time with my left foot on that safety lock than the trigger it seems .. if only one driver gets this locked into his head and makes sure he slows down ..the argument and this thread was worth it.

How is CTS's infield? I've seen other tracks provide a "Hot Pit" area in the infield, possibly something CTS could look at? Just a suggestion not bashing track in any way.

THE INFIELD IS BIG... .CTS RUNS BACK TO BACK ONCE THEY START RACING SO IF THEY USED THE INFIELD TEAMS WOULD HAVE TO SET UP BEFORE THE RACES OUT THERE ..AND THEN GET OUT THERE FAST AS TO NOT HOLD UP THE RACING FOR LONG ..PLUS A SAFETY WALL WOULD HAVE TO BE INSTALLED ...

Not trying to stir the pot here and really I don't want to see the answer on here.My question is two incidents have been reported here and I'm pretty sure more people saw the same things.Did anyone report this to track officials? If not why not? If so I would hope the offenders were talked to by track officials and I bet the next event there will be 0 tolerance.Please don't post the answers here . I just asked to make a point.I'm with Hi-Tech 110% on this one.Hopefully his post will make all tracks take a look at where they are about this.And it makes drivers more aware of their pit road speed.Shady Oaks has a great hot pit area and I think STS has put on into place.STS also will give a little time to change a flat which takes away the urge to speed to your pit.As a fan I love that as it keeps cars in the race.Nick is right about the old days.I remember at CCS there would be 75 80 cars in the pits and there were less people in the pits than now.When you bought your pit pass you had to put the car # and class you were there for.In other words you pretty much had to be on a crew to get in.No kids , mini bikes etc.

i for one will never want to see the family sitting up in stands like it use to be . that can hurt racing as it is now .. i see alot of teams that would have a hard time with help as in pit crews and such .racing has become a full family sport compared to the old days and i dont really think it can survive in today,s world going back to the old ..the family support behind a driver today is greatly needed and i know of many who had to park em for lack of . it took years to get .the insurance companies to except the family in the pits and i know in order for the track to go that way the cost is high .that is another aspect of this equation .....we could lose that privilege ...... it is going to take drivers to slow down racetracks to have a hot area and pedestrians to work together to help keep us safe ....every track has a drivers meeting .. a safety meeting wont hurt for all to hear . how to pull that off with a pit full of people wont be easy ..people are human and in having fun it is easy to forget safety ....and it is left up to us who keep that awareness in check ...i know it would cost .but a track can put up signs on pit road with no standing here ..paint yellow lines in that area of no standing .it could help..ill buy the first can ...anyone out there willing to make some signs .

SPORTMOD

In my defense (i was the white dwarf), I came out of the pits at a slow pace and was trying to get through to the entrance of the track to remove a dragging bumper BUT there were a lot of cars blocking the road and people not watching. I barely got through with a car that is only 60" wide. Me sliding through the pits would be a very exaggerated statement. If I scared your girlfriend, I apologize.

I totally agree with something has to be done because I usually watch a lot of classes and there is sometimes a lot going on on the road that people use for pit road.

It seems pretty simple. You have a complaint talk about it to the track/official. Only thing that's going to happen here is things are going to get misunderstood.

Keeping "hot topics" from becoming personal rather than a general discussion is always a challenge. Sometimes it's impossible, but hopefully we can direct this conversation away from talking about people and back to talking about the general issue.

And, TSRSONETWO, you are correct. Specific complaints should be brought to the appropriate track official.

Nick

So we all seem to agree on all the issues. People in the pits need to be aware of there surroundings, especially during races. And drivers need to slow down. Question should be how do we get the information out. I'm sure CTS will address this in the drivers meeting.

And the drivers should all take the message to the crews and families in the pits. I will bring my 12 year old son because he's the only crew I have, but the first thing we do when we get to the track is the speech" this is a race track, it is very dangerous, keep your head on a swivel, always stay to the side of the road when walking around, the roads are for cars, look both ways when crossing and remember cars coming off the track come off fast so never cross in front of pit entrance."

I'm sure there are more rules of the pits we can list. Let's list them and pledge to go over them with our crews and families every race.

Race Hard race Safe

There's certain inherent risks you take with a pit pass. Both sides have responsibilities, drivers and pedestrians. If you're walking or standing in the pits you know at any given time there's a race car, safety vehicle, official that may go by but in the same token, drivers need to bear in mind that there may be people walking around. I think everyone will agree bodily injury or killing someone will never be worth staying on the lead lap and winning a Saturday night race for a couple hundred dollars and I know none of the drivers would intentionally put anyone at risk. Now that this is out there, if it happens again then the track can take proactive steps of preventing it or punishing those that don't obey pit speeds or those that stand/walk in the way. Both sides are right though, it's a race track they may come off fast but no one has the right to blindly fly through the pits and pedestrians need to keep a path clear for vehicles to go by safely as well. Even NASCAR has pit speeds so there's no excuse.

Here is a option, go in and paint yellow lines and basically state this is the walking path around the pits, give 5 feet on either side of the main pit area in the front area by the track. We deal with this at the drag strip and to be honest we are not going fast in the pits but it a way bigger concern as our pit area is also our spectator area and it can get very crowded. The big thing is you have to have your head on a swivel whether you are walking or driving the car. When it is all said and done you are the one driving the car and you are the one that is supposed to be paying attention.

The pace car needs to drive slow through the pits too. You can hear race cars, but in June I had a close call with a pace car doing about 30 through the pits, never heard it and didn't notice it when I glanced down pit road. pace cars are too quiet and easy to not see to be speeding through the pits. Same with ATVs and pit bikes.

Archived