pit speed

HiTech

Nothing worst than going to a race track and having a driver blow through the pit area to change a tire or whatever ...and then blow back out through the pits the same...someone is going to get run over and then what ...is it going to be worth it for the remainder of your life knowing you hurt or killed someone

think of your family and friends if some driver ran them over for a tire or fender pull...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And does any penalty go to offending drivers like the one in this incident? (I'm assuming one happened )

I'm sure most tracks have rules, either written or unwritten, about speeding in the pits. What happens in a particular incident (assuming one happened) is between that track and that driver.

Drivers need to keep it slow in the pits for obvious reasons and if a particular driver speeds in the pits the track has the responsibility to deal with that driver.

Nick

To be fair, when you discuss this topic you also have to bring up the topic of the age and behavior of those in the pits. When I was growing up you couldn't even get in to the pits until age fifteen or sixteen. Now you see very young children, some of them driving four-wheelers, with many of them thinking that their impulses of the instant are the most consequential activities in the area, so everyone should be watching out for them. Put them in the same compound with drivers who (more understandably and justifiably) have the same mentality and it is a recipe for .....etc, etc.

Amen to that! And when that happens the track should take immediate and harsh action like a multi-race ban.

if some one gets hit a life long ban ..there is no excuse period when a driver is out of self control .. and jj true i agree ..but i would be hard pressed to blame you working on your car and getting hit by some hot shoe with a 3400 pound hammer ...

Of course you should always be alert while in the pits.And Bobby has an good point too.I have seen what looks to me 10-12 year olds buzzing around the pits on 4 wheelers usually loaded down with 4 or more of their buddies.At any rate now that this has been btought up on LSSZ it should be brought up at every drivers meeting by the track or the drivers themselves.And if a sactioning body is involved they need to address it too.

Agree about the kids, especially operating 4-wheelers and atv's. Goes for after the races too in my opinion. Yes drivers should have right of way and pedestrians but they shouldn't be flying through there, neither should atv's or any non emergency vehicle. EVERYONE in pit areas should be aware anywhere.

I know this post is About me speeding into the pits I did not realize at the time that I was speeding and I apologize to anyone that feels that I put them in harm's way I Would never do that intently so to all cts officials I'm sry I will do my best to lower my pit speed my crew already are putting a plan in place to help insure this doesn't happen again and to all people in the pits I apologize as well I will slow down n keep a better eye out Anthony monroe

Let's be thankful nothing bad did happen and now that this is brought to light, make sure it doesn't happen again and a driver manned up and apologized. This sport is supposed to be fun, so let's go back to having fun and being as safe as possible and move forward. Be thankful CTS is doing well, down to 3 asphalt tracks in Texas, let's try to keep them all successful.

Brad made it a point to warn everyone about pit speeds and the consequences at the drivers meeting. Should be said every meeting.

With that said, I am amazed we after week how many people are standing right in the middle of the road chatting, oblivious to the possibility that a RACE CAR might come your way. Pretty much all paved areas are pit roads at CTS. Don't stand in the middle of them, especially where the cars come off the track.

This thread is not about a particular incident of speeding in the pits. it is about speeding in the pits in general.

Anthony Monroe chose to apologize for a particular incident and that's his choice, but doesn't open this thread up to point fingers, make accusations or bring up other particular incidents.

Nick

I agree with you on this one john. race cars should have the right away. im not agreeing to going 50 in the pits but when you have a flat and want to stay on the lead lap, every second counts. pedestrians and fans should be aware of their surroundings, especially if there is a race going on

I agree with you on this one john. race cars should have the right away. im not agreeing to going 50 in the pits but when you have a flat and want to stay on the lead lap, every second counts. pedestrians and fans should be aware of their surroundings, especially if there is a race going on

It is, after all, a race track.....

Speeding in the pits under any circumstances is not acceptable. Strict pit speed rules are there for a reason.

A few tracks that I know of have dealt with the problem of speeding in the pits during a race by making a rule that if you enter the outside pits during a race, your race is over. Seems a bit severe, but it stopped the problem of guys with a flat tire /body damage trying to make every second count.

Nick

It is, after all, a race track....

And it will cease to be a race track if someone is run over in the pits by a guy intent on making it back to the track on the lead lap. Lawyers would suck every penny out of any track that didn't have very strict pit speed rules in place if/when something bad happened in the pits.

Nick

When driving a motorized vehicle... The pedestrian should AWAYS have the "right of way", whether at the track in the pits or on the street, the only thing they have as protection is their responsibility to watch out for cars coming. Now that doesn't mean walk around aimlessly with the "I have the right of way" mentality so the cars need to watch out for me. The drivers of the vehicle need to watch out for pedestrians ALL the time. Especially when it's dark. When you can't see you slow down. And when race cars don't have lights you can't see someone in front of you. I know when I'm crossing the street I have the right of way, but I sure don't put my life in a drivers hands assuming they will stop just because I have the right of way. Speed is for the track not the pits, if you as a driver hit someone in the pits it will be seen as your fault especially in court. And I'm sure the track and the driver would be on the losing end. And not to mention a lot of tracks don't count yellow laps, so there is no reason to haul a** through the pits. And your crew has to be there to service your car too so beating them to the pit stall doesn't get your car fixed any faster. Ok, I'll get down off my soap box now..

Archived