1st Annual South Texas Nationals - Pure Stock Rules

Lots of rear weight creates a large polar moment of inertia.... which means that once you get the back end of the car loose, it will stay hung out longer than a car that has less rear weight percentage.

This is both good and bad. It's really beneficial in the sense that it doesn't take much to get the rear end to come around. Pushing the front end around the track is not a good thing, so lots of dirt track teams make sure they have lots of rear weight to reduce the chances of pushing the front end. A high percentage of rear weight can also help with forward bite since the rear tires are carrying more of the weight of the car. Sort of like putting sandbags in the rear of a car that is stuck in snow or mud to help get some traction.

However, the slicker the track gets, less and less rear weight percentage is needed. Once the track is either rubbered up or dry slick, what you really are looking for is a soft asphalt setup. A good many of the soft asphalt setup I have worked with utilize around 50.5 percent rear weight percentage.

Hmmm.

Nick

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top shelf, that means to have over 53% rear weight you must over come the amount of weight that is in the front which obviously includes the engine. Most cars struggle to get close to 50%, so 53% is a very big difference and still allows for significate rear weight percentage.

THIS is good news Stephan it should level playing field some if im lucky i get 47-49% without finding gray area (Joseph 01)

I think STS should adopt these rules! With the exception of disc brake rear-ends,disc aren't mandatory but are an option.everyone's cars will fit, the engine packages allow a guy to run his current cam set-up without any changes.

I think sos should also...man would this make it simple oh but some would have to take shut off valve out versus pulling cams no brainer

Will there be a 1%-2% tolerance for mud build up or will this be pre race?

The days of 47%-48% rear weight, front running cars are over in my opinion. I can see not allowing aluminum bodies but a guy that does his homework shouldn't get penalized for having something that works well for them. I will follow this thread to see what the finalization of rules are but plan on being at this race either way in a Pure Stock with weight moved back to the front somewhere....

I'm not here to argue with anyone but if y'all change the rules thinking I won't come y'all are wrong . I matched all Yalls rules for that race an the rules of the Texas Grand so y'all can bash me all y'all would like, I race the pure/factory stock class becouse it's what I can afford. If y'all think y'all can change the rules to make it to where I cant come, I will get a old car out the weeds an come down there still an race , I love the track that's why I come there y'all think I have some crazy rear % when y'all are wrong, I did gain rear % to come down there but that is because y'all have 3300 lb battle tanks down there , but on a normal race night I do only have 53% so Yalls rule about that is about right , I'm done on this topic an I WIll see y'all at the south Texas shoot out in 2015 Chase Bresee

Archived