1st Annual South Texas Nationals - Pure Stock Rules

The rules will always be posted as the first msg on this thread on page 1. Any updates will only go there. We will not post copies of rules all over the place which will only confuse people as the races gets closer. We will however posts links to this thread for people to find the rules. As far as rules changes we will change any rule neccessary if we feel the local drivers at any disadvantage. Out of towners who want to participate are very much welcome but they will be the ones having to adapt to the rules instead of local drivers. As far as the 53% rear weight change I would be very very much suprised if any local car is even close to that. This rule is to make factory stockers that want to race be more inline with the area pure stockers. So again this should not impact local cars but to be sure I would still weight your car for your own knowledge.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a weight penalty we can take fr that 53% because I have no idea what my car is and I don't have scales. I just know my car will be heavy as it is

We can put your car on my scales if you want after Christmas and see where you are. Let me know if you want to weigh it. -Monty

Is there a weight penalty we can take fr that 53% because I have no idea what my car is and I don't have scales. I just know my car will be heavy as it is

We can put your car on my scales if you want after Christmas and see where you are. Let me know if you want to weigh it. -Monty

thank you if i have the car ready soon enough between now and then i will let you know

.. since when does anyone get to manipulate how you set your car up to your driving style...

Well, sir, it happens all the time - that's what racing setups are all about!

Anyone who has ever been to my suspension seminar - or any suspension seminar for that matter - will tell you that the subject of weight (total weight, weight distribution and weight transfer) is at the very top of the list of variables that are important in the setup world. Yep, it's right at the very top of the list of the many variables we teach.

Maybe I'm missing your point here, but I honestly don't think weight rules are stupid. In fact, it's one of the most important rules in any racing class.

Nick

I'm not against the weight rules at all, it's just that we put weights where we can to get cars to handle each persons driving style, but according to the new rule we will have to move weights other places because some of us my have more rear percentage. People set their cars up over a period of time to get it to hNdle to their exact liking but now that will have to change. People complain about motor rules some wanting more some wanting less, but setup has a lot to do with running up front and that's what I work on but now apparently that has to change. If this continues what's next, I understand rules are rules and am good with them but this one. I know it's just my opinion and one voice but I'm not afraid to speak my mind or ask questions. I just want to know why we are now having limitations on how we set up our own cars, no two persons drive the exact same so of course setups are gonna vary from car to car.

This is my opinion and you can shoot bullets at it if you want. STS tried this weekend and allowed factory stocks to run with the pures. Now before you say big deal just two years ago the factory stocks ran with the street stocks at this same race just held. The fact is both cars would have walked away with 1st and 2nd if not for belts falling off and a motor failure. Another fact is one of the same cars walked away at Baytowns Texas Grand against real pure stocks and did it with ease. One main reason why is they are very light purpose built racecars. Not purestocks. Everything is moved back if they take full advantage of their rules. Do all factory stocks take full advantage of course not but many of them do due to the fact they race for $5k and $10k to win shows. These 3000 lb cars had to make weight and loaded up their trunks full of lead giving them rear weight nobody else could match. I dont believe that to be safe nor do I believe it to be fair to guys with conventional pure stocks which I believe is what everyone in this area has. If you want out of town fatory stocker to come in and race then you really should rethink that before complainting. We will listen to anyone with concerns but this revision was put in place to keep the local racers competitive. If there is a better way of policy this issue let us know we can consider. But before this gets out of hand and tempers start I can end it as quickly as I started it. Consider that before posting angry posts. We are all ears and want to provide the locals a good big race but handle your issues better and we can all find a resolution.

One main reason why is they are very light purpose built racecars. Not purestocks.

Not purestocks. There is the answer. This is a purestock race. The way it seems to me is the amount of cars you will lose by having this rule is the amount of cars you might gain in factory stocks. The factory stocks are like you said purpose built racecars. So do you honestly think that capping their rear weight percentage is going to stop them from walking away. That is just my opinion.

I kinda see what Dirt Racer9s is saying.If factory stocks are ... "purpose built race cars.Not pure stocks." why are they even allowed in the first place? To gain five or so of them by penalizing the 20-30 locals doesn't seem right.If they were not Pure Stocks at STS with the weight they still won't be at SOS with the weight moved.Not trying to start anything here as I'm just a mechanically uneducated fan here and you know I support STXSSS and STP big time.

Jmo if factory stocks only way 3000 or so then make them put half the weight or so in front of the firewall. Maybe this way no purestock has to redo their setup if they have a little more than 53% rear weight. I remember back when i37 was running TRP/SOS street stocks ( back then called bombers had to add 50 to 100 lbs in front of the firewall if they wanted to run there.

The revision to the pure stock rules will not allow factory stocks to be legal unless they make major changes. I personally do not expect a single factory stock to go through what it would take to be legal. This will not effect 20 - 30 pure stocks period.

Excuse the mechanical ignorance but is checking rear weight percentage as easy as weighing the whole car then weighing just the rear wheels on the scales or is it more complicated than that? When I look at my car, it doesn't seem to have much to the rear end but it hasn't been on scales yet.

When you put the car on scales the display will show each wheel weight and percentage. You just add the two rear wheel weights and percentages and you have your rear %. Ofcourse that is only for scales like STS has that have four seperate pads. I37 had one big scale, that might be more difficult. You would have to weigh the whole car and then just the rear and then do the math yourself.

Top shelf, that means to have over 53% rear weight you must over come the amount of weight that is in the front which obviously includes the engine. Most cars struggle to get close to 50%, so 53% is a very big difference and still allows for significate rear weight percentage.

Archived