1st Annual South Texas Nationals - Pure Stock Rules

Just a question on the bodies, I have noticed several corpus cars that are nearly gutted will SOS cars be able to do the same and remain legal for the season or just that one night. These rules seem very grey. The cam issue and carb spacers are gonna be good ones to clarify too. We need to gets rules as close to each other's tracks as we can so that there is no conflict or bickering if we want to travel to different tracks

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be an issue you would need to take to your track. We are merely taking the area rules including Houston and putting together a set of rules for a big event for alot of cars to come together to compete. This has been done in Houston at The Texas Grand for many many years every November. The rules are alittle relaxed so everyone can come play. If you want to take full advantage of the rules and temp. upgrade a couple things you can or you can play with what you have. Again with so many cars the track will be dry and be the ultimate enforcer. So with that in mind I honestly dont think sheet metal and gutted areas will mean anything and have no bearing on the end results.

As far as questions: Carb spacer? You are allowed to have a s to 4 barrell adaptor very straight forward. You will have to be more clearer on cam issues. I dont see a cam issue for anyone. You must pull 15 inches of vacuum at 1000 rpm OR if you cant then we will measure your total cam lift including your rocker arms. .480 max lift allowed. If you can not meet either of those rules you will be DQ'ed. Does that mean someone with 18 inches of vacuum or .450 lift cam cant compete? No by all means they have as good of a chance as any. A dry track puts it all in the hands of the driver and his setup. Horsepower will not mean alot unless you want to win hotlaps!

From a fans point of view it may be hard to clear up all the "grey areas" before this event. Heck 24rth place is going to win as much as first place normally.After the first race is run everyone will have a better handle of what to do to even the field.The way I see it if this event ends up just for pure stock drivers that in itself will be an equalizer.

Here are the rules for the Texas Grand that is held in Baytown every year. It has been a successful show for years now and the rules are very vague with no issues because they are pretty much open to any pure stock around with very minor changes. I don't see that this South Texas series is far off either.

· Pure Stock: 1. 1. American made passenger car. Two or four door car is allowed. No Mix and matching of class or track rules. Trucks bodies are allowed. 2. Full floor pan required. Quick Steer OK. 3. Engine. Must hold 13" Vacuum @ 1200rpm. Stock OEM cast steel, Stock Location. Max. 364 ci. Hydraulic cam only, MAX .450 lift at valve. Compression Rule 175 psi. Only single spring, steel open chamber heads (no 461,462,etc, must match block (305 heads 305 block OK.). Max valve 1.94, 11/32 No Vortec. No port/polish. No fuel injection. Cast iron intake only. Carburetor: Rochester 2 barrel, Unaltered 350 Holley #0-7448 or #65-7448 allowed. Holley 4412-500cfm allowed. Carb must remain stock minus choke flap. No Go will be used. Cast iron intakes ONLY may use adapter with 1 max thickness. NO ADAPTER/Spacer allowed on 2-barrel intake. Stock bore ( +0.065) and stock stroke combinations only. After market pulleys and balancer allowed. 4. Transmission must be stock with working torque (10.25min) converter or (10.1min) clutch/flywheel combination. Ignition: No MSD modules or parts. 5. Rear end. Stock for year and make. Axles must be locked. No posi-trac. 6. Fuel. Gasoline only. No performance enhancement additives. Fuel tank must be mounted in trunk and protected from rear end collision. Must be secure. 7. Brakes Stock Drum or steel Caliper. Minimum 3 complete working brake assemblies. No proportioning valves. 8. Wheel base. Min. 108" per specs. Tech =107.5" 9. Suspension stock. No adjustable blocks. Any steel spring allowed. Shocks must be stock mount on shock and car in stock location. After market bushings allowed. No jack bolts. No adjustable spring spacers. 10. Wheels. Maximum 8, steel Only. NO bead locks allowed. 11. Tires: Any DOT radialtire, maximum width 50 series. Hoosier stamped G60 or KK-704 or asphalt pull offs. Siping/ Grooving OK. 12. Weight: 3350 lbs with 4412 Carb.; 3100 lbs. with 7448 or Rochester.. No headers allowed. 13. Driver. CURRENT Pure Stock drivers ONLY. If you race in any other class, you are not eligible if you didn't race Pure Stock prior to July 6, 2014.

You can say the STS cars may have some technical advantages but the Corpus drivers can also say SOS drivers have the advantage of the home track. You guys know better than others how to set up, where to run the lines, etc that could balance out whatever technical advantage other cars may have. I know a few of the STS guys and gals have come up and did pretty well, I don't remember any SOS guys coming down but do remember when the 31 and 77 were "Pure Stocks" they came down and put it to the STS guys. I only put that in quotes because they look like the same cars that are Street Stocks now. That being said, do I think they were cheating in those days? Absolutely not. I know both of them are good at figuring out setup and where the best lines are on the track and can wheel a car. I hope the SOS Pures come out and race this event. If not then I hope they support their track and watch from the stands but something tells me you guys are racers and will be there on the track.

You can say the STS cars may have some technical advantages but the Corpus drivers can also say SOS drivers have the advantage of the home track. You guys know better than others how to set up, where to run the lines, etc that could balance out whatever technical advantage other cars may have. I know a few of the STS guys and gals have come up and did pretty well, I don't remember any SOS guys coming down but do remember when the 31 and 77 were "Pure Stocks" they came down and put it to the STS guys. I only put that in quotes because they look like the same cars that are Street Stocks now. That being said, do I think they were cheating in those days? Absolutely not. I know both of them are good at figuring out setup and where the best lines are on the track and can wheel a car. I hope the SOS Pures come out and race this event. If not then I hope they support their track and watch from the stands but something tells me you guys are racers and will be there on the track.

Im sure that most of sos cars will be there no doubt just we cant do alot of changing for one race cause our home track rules are somewhat different and hopefully sos dont change track rules to match this series cause majority of racers cant afford change.this class has gotten much more equal racing the past year due to teching of cars and correcting grey areas.And yes corpus cars have raced in pures this year and ran well and fun to race against them,on 77,31, these two cars will always be fast and 77 many people have tried to beat them and some has 77 is one of best set up person along with racer so it will be very hard to beat him he drove a limited for one season and first time in car won he won majority of races that year in limited also.This STP IDEA is great and sure it will also grow just think some minor tweaking needs to be done before first race to keep it more of a purestock class then slightly watered down streetstock. jmo no way am i complaining just giving little opinion.

I gotcha and yes I meant the 31 and 77 part as a sign of respect. I hear you on affording the change. I have a Bomber/Pure Stock too albeit an asphalt setup but with the limited schedule, want to try dirt here and there. $100 to start is almost as much as winning on a normal night so there's a big draw. Even with that I doubt you'll see a lot of guys making changes for one race as well. The promoter has to think of one big show vs sustainability of your local class so hopefully SOS/STS rules don't change much unless local issues arise. I've been up to SOS a couple of times this year and enjoyed the Pure Stock race. We're planning on coming up this weekend too to watch. Both tracks, the Pure Stocks to me are the best class and seem competitive and pretty equal.

My money would be on a SOS car winning, their rules more then support this race and fall in nicely with some minor temporary one race changes. You guys are thinking way too much into small details that dont deduct time off the stop watch. It will boil down to straight up driving and uping your game. Early in my career when I went to a big race I simply wanted to qualify to race in one. Then a Top 10 would be awesome and after that Top 5 etc etc. Everyones goals will be different but this is a race for everyone to shoot for a good career achievement. You get to race against other areas top drivers and isnt that what racing is all about? Keep in mind this is the base purse we are paying. We have months to find sponsors to add to the start money which does nothing but increase from $100 to start. If you interested in helping sponsor say the pure stock class we got all kinds of opportunities and will work out anything to help the class pure grow.

Mmm I don't know that 15 car from Corpus runs pretty good at SOS! I really think the race is wide open. The SOS guys will have the early advantage but I bet a lot of the visitors will catch up by Sat night! BTW maybe I missed it but how many laps will the features be?

My money would be on a SOS car winning, their rules more then support this race and fall in nicely with some minor temporary one race changes. You guys are thinking way too much into small details that dont deduct time off the stop watch. It will boil down to straight up driving and uping your game. Early in my career when I went to a big race I simply wanted to qualify to race in one. Then a Top 10 would be awesome and after that Top 5 etc etc. Everyones goals will be different but this is a race for everyone to shoot for a good career achievement. You get to race against other areas top drivers and isnt that what racing is all about? Keep in mind this is the base purse we are paying. We have months to find sponsors to add to the start money which does nothing but increase from $100 to start. If you interested in helping sponsor say the pure stock class we got all kinds of opportunities and will work out anything to help the class pure grow.

If I get off work, my realistic goal would be to just qualify for the main.

So far the most exciting part is opening the mailbox yesterday to see registration forms already have been mailed, awesome. We are working on so much right now that we will be all over the place with information so please stay tuned.

Archived