RACING IS NOT DEAD IN S.A.!

Txenergy

OK ......... :)

Rule #1 Turn around, dig a hole and bury your ego, before you do anything else.

Rule #2 Treat everyone ............ and I mean EVERYONE you encounter in this endeavor with all the dignity and respect you can muster and that they so rightly deserve. With such an attitude you will soon find you have gained their respect. You catch flys with sugar, not vinegar.

Rule #3 Remember you're going into the racing business, not the tire business nor parts business nor any other related business. Pay attention to your racing business first and formost.

That's a start .......... more to follow....... :)

Rule #4 Always think "SAFETY FIRST"

Rule #5 Look around at other tracks in the vicinity. What works best? Two of the existing neighboring tracks are 3/8ths. Does it make since to build a 1/4 or 1/2 mile?

Rule #6 Cooperate/coordinate with other neighboring tracks for the mutual benefit of all. This will pay dividends in the long run.

Rule #7 COMMON RULES!

Rule #8 Build a track that's Wide and that encourages multi-groove racing.

Rule #9 Build a big grandstand, suites, etc. on the front stretch, that pitched high enough so that every seat is a good seat for viewing all of the racing all around the track.

Rule #10 Don't put a bunch of crap in the infield that will obscure the view of the back stretch.

Rule #11 Don't put the pits in the infield. We're talking short track asphalt racing here, NOT Nascar.

Rule #12 Put the pits off the backstretch, not off a turn. That's dangerous.

Rule #13 Don't build walls. The only thing walls are good for is destroying race cars and getting drivers hurt. If you don't have walls, you don't have the expense of installing "soft walls"

Rule #14 Put long run-off areas at the ends of the straights. Make them a "No man's land"

Rule #15 Don't mix pit access lanes with emergency vehicle access lanes. They should have their own access lanes for quick response.

Rule #16 Location ........ Interstate frontage is extremely expensive, both in terms of purchase price and later property taxes. It is nice, but not necessary for a successful operation.

Rule # 17 Don't build a track so big that the fans need binoculars to see what's happening on the back straight.

Rule #18 Work ever toward the goal of consistantly putting on a quality show each and every week, with an adequate car count. This, even if it means limiting the number of classes running each week. If you do this, word will spread and the people will come.

Rule #19 No race shall begin after 11:00 PM. This way, families can come, again and again.

Rule #20 Provide adequate CLEAN restroom facilities, especially for the ladies!

Rule #21 Provide adequate Clean, Accessible, reasonably priced concessions. Often as much or more is spent by fans on concession than the gate price itself.

Rule #22 Generally, fans will be willing to pay a premium if they know they will see a quality show.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always liked the way the 1/4 mile strips involve all spectators. You pay 1 price and can stroll through the pits and get within 10 feet of the race team. I think it might convince some of the spectators to get their own car and come have some fun. At the very least it gives the race teams better opportunities at potential sponsors.

If it's possible, and feasable, incorporate something like this into a new facility.

Example:

If the owner of SAS (the one in Marion) added a stock car track, he could possibly build it on the opposite side of the pits from the strip. This way the pits could be used for both tracks.

Just a suggestion.

Mel

PS. Develop a good working relationship with the other stock car tracks in the area.

OK ......... :)

Rule #1 Turn around, dig a hole and bury your ego, before you do anything else.

Rule #2 Treat everyone ............ and I mean EVERYONE you encounter in this endeavor with all the dignity and respect you can muster and that they so rightly deserve. With such an attitude you will soon find you have gained their respect. You catch flys with sugar, not vinegar.

Rule #3 Remember you're going into the racing business, not the tire business nor parts business nor any other related business. Pay attention to your racing business first and formost.

That's a start .......... more to follow....... :)

Budman,

We are going to get along well....I don't have a EGO trip,, never have never will.... I do treat everyone equal,,, you will see.... and Racing is first and formost....will be waiting for more ~~

I hope all goes well with this,but a facility like you are talking about will cost a fortune,for example Lone Star speedway near Kilgore(Now called East Texas Motor speedway) cost 1.4 Mil.back in 1984. San Antonio does need a facility like you're proposing. :D

Drunken goat is an inside joke between me and Crazyhorse. Don't remember how it got started but it basically refers to the reason I am the mayor is that the Town's Goat got drunk. :lol:

I'm not throwing in any towels. I was just making a very politically incorrect joke about women, goats, and stubbornness. :lol:

Absolutely no ego, hurt feelings, or etc. here. I have something to offer and I am trying to offer it. I have a good understanding of the growth and planning dynamics around the san antonio area and am willing to offer what I think will work and not work.

My daughter started racing this year. They have a class at 105 speedway called Jr Mini Stocks. They start there and at Heart O' Texas at age 12. Just another idea

Is that the one by Waco.... ?

Heart O' Texas is in Waco, but my daughter's running at 105 Speedway in Cleveland, TX (Near Conroe)...

guys before we ... you ...i .... bury .our heads in the ground ..we best be on our best and kindness side of ourselfs ....this young woman and i say young for i dont know her ..seems to be purty savy ... she is a take charge typ of person .from what i read ..good ..welcome to our crazy world ...

I hope all goes well with this,but a facility like you are talking about will cost a fortune,for example Lone Star speedway near Kilgore(Now called East Texas Motor speedway) cost 1.4 Mil.back in 1984. San Antonio does need a facility like you're proposing. :D

It will cost alot more than that...

OK, I stood in the background while everyone was replying and wondering and joking and even hoping about what txenergy brought to the plate of "racing in San Antonio",as you can see by my screen name,Im her other half. We are not here to compete,put down or give false hope to anyone on racing staying in SA. Someone hit it right about "having their ducks in a row". That we do have,at no time have we asked for ideas on how to raise money or ways to save SAS, so really our "our" concern was driver and fan input for an ideal environment. Has anyone owning or building a speedway ever ask for input from the very people who risk their lives to enjoy a hobby or be it profession? Also the comfort and safety of fans to enjoy the experience so much,that they want to come back again and again? WELL WE ARE ASKING! Again no where in this statement is "how can i make a buck off these drivers and fans?" So,asking for names or demands of us is not what we want to hear or discuss, we want concerns,grumps and ideas, and when we have our meeting this will be the main subject. We look forward to meeting everyone in the near future. And by the way,she ISNT a redhead,i assure you... :D

we respect what you have to say and want from the drivers .. put it this way the drivers are going through a tough time ..they spent umpteen $ .. this year .worked all winter ..days nights .cold hot ..and hungry probably with a unhappy woman at home ..burned themselfs ..mashed a finger are two ..and then you come along in the middle of all this madness . with what you are asking for .. so after all that and getting burned this year .they have a short fuse ... i know you can respect that ..that is why they ask and say what they say ... sorry if i have affended you .now or the future ..... and i wont hide my name /..... mike mccain cc tex ..i hope you are the answer to sa problem .and be forthright soon ...you have our best in mind .....

a small game room never hurts .cc did it many years ago .and it helped .. and a place for little ones to run and play that helped also .. sand box swing set . even alittle nap room ..be family friendly .. which is your main goal .outside of us bad old racers .lol ..

Mike,

Question... You say in your post the drivers got burned this year,,, and about the short fuse,, I understand that... explain getting burned,, or email me or IM me on this,,, so I have an understanding... I don't the whole story and probably don't need to know,, but interested... When I open a business I look for people to grow within it,, I want fun,, laughter,,and enjoyment,, you can bring this answer to our meeting if you like..

If I don't know then I can not help out.....

I read an earlier post that SAS Management group was to refund money back .. Is this TRUE?

OK, I stood in the background while everyone was replying and wondering and joking and even hoping about what txenergy brought to the plate of "racing in San Antonio",as you can see by my screen name,Im her other half. We are not here to compete,put down or give false hope to anyone on racing staying in SA. Someone hit it right about "having their ducks in a row". That we do have,at no time have we asked for ideas on how to raise money or ways to save SAS, so really our "our" concern was driver and fan input for an ideal environment. Has anyone owning or building a speedway ever ask for input from the very people who risk their lives to enjoy a hobby or be it profession? Also the comfort and safety of fans to enjoy the experience so much,that they want to come back again and again? WELL WE ARE ASKING! Again no where in this statement is "how can i make a buck off these drivers and fans?" So,asking for names or demands of us is not what we want to hear or discuss, we want concerns,grumps and ideas, and when we have our meeting this will be the main subject. We look forward to meeting everyone in the near future. And by the way,she ISNT a redhead,i assure you... :D

we respect what you have to say and want from the drivers .. put it this way the drivers are going through a tough time ..they spent umpteen $ .. this year .worked all winter ..days nights .cold hot ..and hungry probably with a unhappy woman at home ..burned themselfs ..mashed a finger are two ..and then you come along in the middle of all this madness . with what you are asking for .. so after all that and getting burned this year .they have a short fuse ... i know you can respect that ..that is why they ask and say what they say ... sorry if i have affended you .now or the future ..... and i wont hide my name /..... mike mccain cc tex ..i hope you are the answer to sa problem .and be forthright soon ...you have our best in mind .....

Absolutely no offense taken or implied,we are enjoying the imput,we honestly understand the drivers frustration of "getting burned" and enduring money problems,and we will address that issue also,at the meeting,thanks for all inputs.

My guess is the Zunne Group (Toby and Barbie O'Connor). They've been involved in establishing the GTP races around downtown SAT and have been car owners in some of the Indy500 races.

just a guess.

so no one runs with this guess,we are not the Zunne group... :)

Question... You say in your post the drivers got burned this year,,, and about the short fuse,, I understand that... explain getting burned,, or email me or IM me on this,,, so I have an understanding... I don't the whole story and probably don't need to know,, but interested... When I open a business I look for people to grow within it,, I want fun,, laughter,,and enjoyment,, you can bring this answer to our meeting if you like..

If I don't know then I can not help out.....

I read an earlier post that SAS Management group was to refund money back .. Is this TRUE?

I think by burned he is talking about all these races who spent the time, sweat, tears, and of course money on these cars just to get dropped like a bad habit.... I will admit it I feel burned, but Its not the track I feel burned by its the city for forcing the issue... JMO Mike will need to really clarify what he meant...

KNIGHT I STARTED TO ANSWER HER QUESTION WHEN I FIRST READ IT ABOULT BEING BURNED .. YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY THOUGHTS .. THATS A STRONG WORD THAT I PROBABLY SHOULD NOT HAVE USED .MY BAD ... AND ANYMORE SAID USEING THAT WORD .WOULD ONLY LEAD TO MORE EXPLAINING AND THERE ISNT ENOUGH ROOM ON SPEEDZONE FOR IT .. :) ...

Well I for one hope this is reality. I have ALWAYS said in the past(10 years ago) that a smart person should acquire SAS, Alamo Dragway and Tx Dirt Spwy. and turn it into Cen-Tex Motorplex. I usually got scoffed at. Now that idea is dead anyway.

Run the dirt track Fri. night, pavement track Sat.(day or night) and drag strip on Sun. during the day. Have an all-inclusive "weekend" ticket price for those....like moi....that just can't get enough racing in one weekend.(OK, so I'm the exception to the rule-LMAO) Work with area motel or campgrounds to accomodate weekend racers/fans.

The old Battleground Spwy. in Houston(Highlands) was a 3/8 dirt track with a 1/8 mile track inside for karts or mini sprints. Rio Grande Spwy(McAllen) is only a 1/4 mile dirt track, but still has an inner kart track. If a 1/2 mile paved track was in the plans a small inner track for karts, etc. would work just as well.

Myself, like Budman and others, have many ideas. I've been around tracks all over the midwest, Texas and Colorado. I've seen what works well, what takes time, what doesn't. I've been a racer, crew, announcer, videographer, writer and even tried scoring.....so I know many of the ins-outs of racing/tracks.

Personally I feel that if the two groups worked as a team, this would stand a far better chance to succeed...just my opinion.(Even if it is a lady, a mayor and drunken goat-LMAO :lol: )

No offense, but right now everyone has the preverbial bad taste in their mouth over what has happened and I too, hope this isn't Mr. Teague with another one his pipe dreams. The racing community just couldn't take another step back like that. I personally know some people that got caught up in that bad deal......so call me skeptical if you will. Don't get me wrong, I'll be one of the first to be 100% supportive until I see things determental to racing. I have many outlets and sources in the racing and construction businesses, also.

I wish I wasn't so far out in podunk to be able to attend these meetings. :(

If a Drag Strip is part of the plan, I would suggest a 1/8th mile. SAR has a real good 1/4 mile that is real close to SA. No reason to go head to head with them. The 1/8 mi would be good for the local street rice burners and the Jr dragsters. As well as other classes.

As far as the circle track...Leave enough room on the front stretch to make a small track for 1/4 midgets and legends. Leave the infield dirt...Put a Motocross and quadrunner coarse there.

Also put an RV park on the grounds. It could be used year round.

Some people might laugh at this but I think it would generate $$ and let people know what is out there.....A Driving Range. Dont laugh. I dont care for golf but many many people do. This to would generate $$ and could be open year round.

NOW.....If you could put in a lake stocked with catfish then I figure there would be no reason to go home.

sorry budman, nothing against you but I strongly disagree with rule 13. Walls dont tear up cars, drivers do. Eliminating walls gives to many others the false pretense that it is OK to "lean" on the other guy(or gal). I watch that happen all too often at THR. I have been shoved out into the grass before and yes it did save me big bucks on repairs, however, it did not stop the same driver from driving over his head because of his safety net. No, I believe walls is a good Idea. It keeps the cars on the track not out in a field. Blaming the walls for car damage is an "excuse".

other than that budman, you did good. :D

Archived