Outlaw SLM Race

hcwsracing

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Landlord,

Of course you're right. It's just an unfortunate fact of life in racing, I've never quite gotten used to. There was a time when full field inversion was the norm, it didn't necessarily mean cars were going to get torn up.

Drivers were much more careful around and respectful of one another. Those kinds of problems started when they put fenders on 'um. Oh well, ..................

The best races I've seen had inverted (or partially inverted) starts - true fans love watching the fast cars coming up through the pack, and fans tend to come back to those races. The worst races are when the fast qualifiers start on the pole and one guy runs off and hides. I don't go back to those (one of the reasons I don't go much anymore, despite growing up going to Pan American, having a brother who crewed, and bracket-racing myself). But I used to love going to the National 100 dirt race when I was in AL - top drivers and an invert. The best asphalt short track race I ever saw was in Montgomery, with Tony Walls & Mike Harmon starting in the back and coming to the front, then repeating it TWICE MORE because they kept spinning each other (all in a 50 lap feature). 15 years later, and I still remember that race because of all the action.

An outlaw SLM race, with 30+ cars (as discussed earlier) and an inverted field? I'd come for that.

I understand the concern about tearing up equipment, but the risk is always there anyway. You can pass him early when he has fresher tires, or lap him later when his tires are older - which do you prefer?

If you want butts in the bleachers so you don't have to pay as much at the back gate, then you've gotta think about what will bring out the fans.

Partial inverts has been a decent compromise for putting on a show for the fans, while maintaining week-to-week car counts.

Full inverts for SLM on a high-speed track are like playing Russian roulette. You can be a hero, or demolish your racecar. I've seen amateur racing careers ended when their one and only suddenly went to the junkpile. A lifetime investment for which a family made many sacrifices. And all because the front row thought that they could win the race in turn one (but somehow always seem to tangle).

If full inverts are necessary to bring out the fans, then I'd rather join the league of spectators and watch the demolition derby unfold.

Maybe I need a demo derby car......

Partial inverts has been a decent compromise for putting on a show for the fans, while maintaining week-to-week car counts.

Full inverts for SLM on a high-speed track are like playing Russian roulette. You can be a hero, or demolish your racecar. I've seen amateur racing careers ended when their one and only suddenly went to the junkpile. A lifetime investment for which a family made many sacrifices. And all because the front row thought that they could win the race in turn one (but somehow always seem to tangle).

If full inverts are necessary to bring out the fans, then I'd rather join the league of spectators and watch the demolition derby unfold.

Maybe I need a demo derby car......

Exactly what I was thinking Pacecar.Grab the pole start in the back, makes perfectly good sense to me.Maybe Nascar should try it!

invert are fine, its the racers that have the problem. If you are not comfortable starting up front, then dont, start scratch. The fast cars usually know who the safe cars to pass are. They are also aware of the problem ones too. But as much as some of you wont like it, most of the equipment tore up is from the front runners anyway. Money doesnt buy talent, and some guys tend to overdrive the equipment, and get impatient. That is what causes the most accidents. Been there done that. Both sides of the coin. Im Ok with the invert. But If I qualify in the back, id probably opt to stay there.

But heck, just give me a time, I,ll race any way I can. Lets go!!!

All funnin' aside about upside down racin', I'd favor a slightly different format: time trials for position in qualifying heats, heats inverted, no more than 10 cars in a heat with the heats being between 10 & 15 laps, then finishing position in the heats determining feature starting position, fastest heat winner gets pole (this is the heat race speed, not qualifying time - rewards those drivers who choose to race clean and fast), 2nd fastest heat winner gets 2nd, and so on until the field is set. If the field is limited to 30 cars, then the first 30 positions from all the heats get to race. This is similar to the WOO, Sprint Car Nationals, Snowball and other big time pro events on short tracks. Ya could even have a B Main or "Last Chance" race to fill in the last two - four spots. For a 30 car field there could be as many as 4 races for the fans to watch leading up to the main event! Sure some fast cars will go home, but the fans will get to see lots of exciting racing and it'll build interest in the next event...

Oh yeah, forgot one tiny thing: fastest timer goes into first heat, 2nd fastest into second heat, etc. .. that way none of the heats are stacked with either fast or slow cars.

Tps has qualifying heat races at kyle .start by points .it works out good .the fastest car does not always start up front .in sas they qualify by time .and invert drawing at both tracks .only thing aboult qualifying races .you burn up tires for no money . so .

Why not start the fields single file?

Inversions cause the better drivers to have to RACE.

Is'nt that why they are there?

As a fan,that's what I am trying to watch.RACING.

There are a lot of very AWARE long term race fans in the stands.

Four laps into a race that had four or six cars inverted usually leaves them saying,THAT WAS A GOOD RACE,then the idle chit chat starts.

Whatever you guys...owners/drivers/promoters/reporters....decide to do,just please bring back more RACING.

$5.00/$10.00/$15.00/$20.00....whatever the price...bump that purse/pay the showmen...kick out the bad apples...even up the cars....don't have them start a race the same way they will very predictably finish it...and lets go RACING.

CYA AT THE RACES!!

p.s. Please.

About a year and a half ago I think it was, there was talk of a "SUPER LATE MODEL NATIONALS" to be held at SAS every February. I remember thinking at the the time ....... "Now that's a heck of a good idea." The guy I heard it from I think was Terry Dickerson. Well, last Februray came and went and nothing happened, and I haven't heard anything else about it. What ever happened to that idea?

Buddy,

A year and a half ago all the racing media (including this forum) were all saying a certain new owner was going to "take the ROMCO series to a new level". We were all excited because we didn't know at the time the 'New Level' was down instead of up.

I suspect it will take yet another promoter to get SLM's up and going again, or maybe the crate is the wave of the future.

I was told that HMP was letting the big motors run in the sealed motor class last season to get the car counts up and that they would have to comply with the PLM rules in 07.I was disappointed when they were considering letting the big motors continue to run the PLM class in the 2007 season.I don't want any teams excluded I just want the playing field to be as level as possible.With SAS now allowing the sealed engine Late Model cars to run at their track,hopefully CC and Kyle will get with the program and everyone will be on the same page. :)

SAS allowed the crate moter in 2006,but I don't remember the weight break,this year it is still too heavy for the crate though. Why don't HMP let the other caqrs run that don't have the crate,but make them run the same RPM limiter chip,that seems to be the big limiting factor?

Why don't HMP let the other caqrs run that don't have the crate,but make them run the same RPM limiter chip,that seems to be the big limiting factor?

They did allow the big engines with a carb and chip limit last year.

Guys with those big engines could have simply re-cammed their engines for peak torque at whatever chip they were mandated, and those engines would have still had an advantage over the crate engine.

Why don't HMP let the other caqrs run that don't have the crate,but make them run the same RPM limiter chip,that seems to be the big limiting factor?

They did allow the big engines with a carb and chip limit last year.

Guys with those big engines could have simply re-cammed their engines for peak torque at whatever chip they were mandated, and those engines would have still had an advantage over the crate engine.

but this year they don't allow the "big engines"...

and the 500 carb don't flow anywhere near as much as my ASA legal 390...

and then when my 9 to 1 is knocked down a thousand rpm, I loose a lot of hp so I wonder about that advantage everyone is talking about.

Duck,HMP has alot of racers that commited (at the begining of last season) to the crate class because they did not want to run the big motors for whatever the reason.If HMP continued to run the big motors with the crates sooner or later everyone would have to buy a big motor to be competitive.Thats not what the majority of the racers wanted so they went back to the way the class started with "crate motors only" being allowed.The SLM cars need their on class.I do understand where you are coming from just having built a new motor and all.(that does bite)Crate racing started a few years back and is catching on all over the U.S. not just here.The crate class will have(depending on who you talk too) 20 to 25 cars this season.(Possibly more, depending on what guys in your position do)The Snowball derby had almost as many entries in the PLM class as it did the SLM class.So I don't believe the PLM class is going away anytime soon.Let me say I REALLY DO LOVE THE SLM CLASS nothing gets the hair on my neck to stick up more than one of those fire breathing dragons.I wish it could be like at the snowball where both classes race,put on a great show and everyone could be happy.Maybe it will be that way before the season starts with the tracks working together and all. :)

Well Guys this thread has taken more than left turns while I have been away so let me answer a few questions.

Q.What do you mean by outlaw was one question.

A. I mean unsactioned with limited rules

We have been working on rules and have about 85% complete there are several engine combinations that will be allowed.

If you ran ROMCO YOU WILL be able to run under the rules.

If you ran USRA,CRA,ASA and I belive PASS you too will be able to run with the rules that will be in place

Now then after the new year we will post and lets get the drivers and race teams signed up and ready to racing

Thanks to all that have sent in suggestions your VOICES or WORDS have been HEARD and READ! :D:P

Doug

Archived