Outlaw SLM Race

hcwsracing

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
racer duck

you don't run of of 83 octane i orderd the wrong gas ........

Just jokeing I think all will like what we have so far and we will run racing fuel no nitro and only 1 carb no thats the only rule I am releasing at this time 1 carb per car

Thanks

Doug

saner heads prevail

Thanks Doug! Yer doin' a GREAT job.

Takes nagitive to make something positive sometimes . i hope all this comes to a happy ending . everything in life starts with an ideal .doug who i dont know has a good ideal .he,s trying to get some cars back out to the track . put some more excitment into what we already have .i say good luck .

Takes nagitive to make something positive sometimes . i hope all this comes to a happy ending . everything in life starts with an ideal .doug who i dont know has a good ideal .he,s trying to get some cars back out to the track . put some more excitment into what we already have .i say good luck .

Thanks OT we are working hard on this

Doug

I'm just a fan as I've said before, buutttt, I still think if you give a safety spec, tire spec, and a shock spec and let everything else go you would have an interesting race. Instead of putting on an Outlaw race,(Outlaw means just outside the normal rules for a certain class) make it a true run what you brung. Think about it. You would have some guys show up with pretty spec type hi dollar super late models. Other guys would not want to spend that money and would come up with creative ways of going fast. Let the creativity loose. The main reason racing used to be so fun to take part in and to watch was because there weren't a bunch of rules and guys showed up with all kinds of creative ways of going fast. Hell some guy might show up with a vintage Ford Galaxie with a 427 sitting 6" back and 4" to the left. I'd love to see it. Modifieds with late model bodies, super coupes, possibilities are endless. Guys would come and after seeing what worked for their competitors, would go back to their shops and try to use it, adapt it, improve it, bang you have recreated the golden age of stock car racing. Just my thoughts.

I have a question for the Dish guy that statred the thread. I am not being fecetious, negative, rhetorical, or anything else. I may have misunderstood the intent of what you're trying to do. If that's the case I apologize for hijacking the thread.

What I understood from your original question was that you were trying to get all the cars, LLM, SLM, TSRS, LM that you could and come up with a set of rules that would allow them to get together on the same track and put on a high car count, competitive race.

If that was the case that was why I threw out some pretty out of the box ideas. I thought that the c.i. / lb rule was a good addition. I don't have a car and I don't race, so maybe I don't see things from the same perspective as the racers and maybe there would be no turnout from them for a race like I proposed.

I would like to know if any of the drivers would show up for a race with rules like that or do they think that it is completely asinine. I know that as a fan, I would pay to see it.

I wasn't trying to say that this was how SLM's should be run, I wasn't saying that there should be a series or a regular class like this. I was saying that I thought it would make for a good race. So, I'm sorry if I interrupted or interfered with your legitimate discussion and debate, (well most of you were legitimate). I was just trying to give you some fan input and was hoping to hear back some thoughts about whether it would work as one shot deal or even an annual type race.

Rookie

I think everyone wants a this or that kind of race I by NO means am trying to take car counts away from any group we want to see some of the older cars that are being kept in a box, I AM NOT RACER I just enjoy the sport so I really can't answer your question very good we will trty to announce race dates and rules in the next couple of days

Doug

PS if you need DirecTV I can answer all those questions

Doug I commend you on what you are trying to accomplish. When this thread started I said I will support it and I am ready to go regardless of the rules. I was only able to race my Late Model once this past season and the Air Force sent me elswhere for a few months. I am back now and just want to race. Keep up the good fight and give ma a time and place and I will be there. HUA!!!!!!

There is always going to be at least 2 people in every group that wont agree on everything. I think its great to toss ideas around. Keep the positive AND negative opinions flowing....If everything works out--great! If it doesnt---well you never would have known if you did not try Everything begins with an idea.

It seems that there are a lot of people claiming to have cars on blocks because the rules have changed, why not backdate rules that were in place for the original ROMCO series for one race. Then they have to put up or shut up. Otherwise, this will not be a competitive race at all. Money will win it. A good set of rules for an Outlaw race could be like the Texs Big Shot 250. Pretty much Romco rules with no left side weight rule. A full blown outlaw race would bring some intersting things, such as tires, how wide do they make em? Cup engines (850 HP), CU/# rule, who would care if you had 850 HP in a small block 358. So how many could afford this around here in order make it interesting? Probaly not many. It would be cool to see it though. Probably the best place to have it would be Thunderhill since Terry Barden was around for the original romco series. Plus he and Jack are the most qualified tech guys in texas and people respect them. Mary Ann has great promoters temperment, H keep things moving in the spotter area and the guys working the infield treat racers with respect. Perfect recipe for the "Hill County Satelite Outlaw 250". HCS covers all of texas and Kyle is centally located.

I would think the only tech you would need would be for safety. I do remember seeing an outlaw race in dirt late models up north where a guy used an on off button for Nitrous Oxide down the back straight and the force pinned him so far back in the seet he freaked, couldn't reach the button and sailed out into the parking lot. Man that was crazy.

If you are talking about running a race with basically very few rules, that would be more of a car show than a race. Honestly, do you think many people would take their cars off of jackstands if they didnt have a chance. I thought they were trying to get the old cars back on the track. One reason many of these cars are parked is because they are not competitive. Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. I thought maybe it would be considered an Outlaw race if it were non sanctioned. I guess with enough money they would show up.

I dont think we're talkin about a race what ya brought race. I think he's talkin about having to have a late model style car Body and chassis. Just componant wise it would be very open. rules regarding carbs, heads,engine placement compression ration and such would be that almost any one with a late model or slm would fall within the rules. I myself have a 2003 pontiac with a lefthander chassis and a ford 351 engine. I dont think I could be competititve with the front runners as it sits, but if the rules are pretty open and we had 25 to 30 cars I'm sure I would have some challange (and alot of fun)racing other cars that are in the same boat. I could hold my own against aboust 2/3 of the sas or tsrs crowd. But the funnest racin is in groups tryin pass and not havein room. Of course I want to win, but more importantly I want to race where there's a challenge. I dont want to have my car out there with a 57 buick or ford galaxy. but give me some late models with a car count and I'll be there.I cant afford every week wiithout sponsors but 1-2 times amonth maybe. maybe car count will turn into fan count and that will turn into sponsors. jmo

I had just as much fun loosing by an inch as well as winning by an inch .knowing you and that other driver. drivers gave it all you had and and finished side by side and going home with your car made it worth while . there is no grander time then that in raceing .in less except winning your first .

If you are talking about running a race with basically very few rules, that would be more of a car show than a race. Honestly, do you think many people would take their cars off of jackstands if they didnt have a chance. I thought they were trying to get the old cars back on the track. One reason many of these cars are parked is because they are not competitive. Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. I thought maybe it would be considered an Outlaw race if it were non sanctioned. I guess with enough money they would show up.

That's what I was trying to find out, were they looking for an unsantioned race (outlaw) or a run what you brung race (also known as outlaw). Same term used 2 different ways but big differences in meaning.

I dont think we're talkin about a race what ya brought race. I think he's talkin about having to have a late model style car Body and chassis. ........ I dont want to have my car out there with a 57 buick or ford galaxy. but give me some late models with a car count and I'll be there.I cant afford every week wiithout sponsors but 1-2 times amonth maybe. maybe car count will turn into fan count and that will turn into sponsors. jmo

I think you are referring to my earlier post. If so, that's the inputI am wondering about. Also the type race I am talking about would only work a couple of times tops. What you would do is let everything show up, then decide what type cars don't belong in this group on a regular basis and draw up rules that would allow all the cars that you need, and excludes what you don't. But figure out which cars those are on the track not in a rule book befor hand.

Also I am wondering if you mean that you would not would not want to be on the track with an old style latemodel that could turn 18.20's-80's at SAS? The late model rules of Tri-state speedway in 1974 would put a car on the track that would compete with a ROMCO car.

Archived