Outlaw SLM Race

hcwsracing

Thats a good point old timer. Race Duck if you find a sponsor send em my way we would be very appreciative too. I remember racing street stock at longhorn on friday and getting tow money coming from San Antonio. It was fifty dollars and if you were in the money they would take it off of your winnings. It kept me going back every friday night when possible. I think if the rules at all tracks are enforced then you would bring back racers especially if everybody had inputs on them.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought,since the left side issue came up on another thread,lighten the cars to 2500 lbs,but keep it limited to square tube frame railsof 2x2 minimun,yes I know this could be a problem on the perimeter chassis,but I remember in the 80s when minum weight was 2750 a Austin driver was heavyand that was with a offset car so he could make 58%,he said he couldn't get the % otherwise,and yes it was a car built by a top manufacturer at the time. Basically you could be light or you could have left side weight.

8Lbs/ci, 8lbs/ci, 8lbs/ci!!!! If someone has a killer 305ci and thinks they can get a SLM on a diet to 2440 lbs, have at it. If you have a 427ci in mothballs out of a GN car from the 70's, bulk up to 3416 lbs and try to prove NASCAR was wrong going to small blocks. That way, even a TSRS car can bolt on a 4 barrel, unbolt 300 lbs of lead and give it a shot.

Just a thought,since the left side issue came up on another thread,lighten the cars to 2500 lbs,but keep it limited to square tube frame railsof 2x2 minimun,

I understand it's just a thought, but My Gosh!!!!do you realize this is the exact reason things have gotten so far out of whack with SLM's. If you are going to get down to this level of detail then run a "Spec" car ie: IROC. The rules need to be opened up not scrutinized to the point of frame rail size. If it's safe, you can run it! Who cares what the frame rail size is. These are Super Late Models--not Late Models, not Late Model Stocks, not TSRS, etc., etc., etc.

It would be interesting to see a dirt late model, and you are right, they can be pretty light, but they should be goverened by the same rules as all other cars. If you want to run one really light, put a 310 ci or 325 ci sprint car motor in it a run at 2480 lbs. I think it would be competitive.

I'm just a fan as I've said before, buutttt, I still think if you give a safety spec, tire spec, and a shock spec and let everything else go you would have an interesting race. Instead of putting on an Outlaw race,(Outlaw means just outside the normal rules for a certain class) make it a true run what you brung. Think about it. You would have some guys show up with pretty spec type hi dollar super late models. Other guys would not want to spend that money and would come up with creative ways of going fast. Let the creativity loose. The main reason racing used to be so fun to take part in and to watch was because there weren't a bunch of rules and guys showed up with all kinds of creative ways of going fast. Hell some guy might show up with a vintage Ford Galaxie with a 427 sitting 6" back and 4" to the left. I'd love to see it. Modifieds with late model bodies, super coupes, possibilities are endless. Guys would come and after seeing what worked for their competitors, would go back to their shops and try to use it, adapt it, improve it, bang you have recreated the golden age of stock car racing. Just my thoughts.

Now, if anyone wants to donate a few bucks to an underfunded SLM, I happen to know a very appreciative team.

I know of a few underfunded tracks that could use this too! LOL, no, maybe I meant, COL - crying out loud. ;) This is an interesting thread, keep it going.

HCWS is a sponsor for USRA/SAS...

Prediction....

USRA will drop the SLM class and HCWS will be sponsoring a 3-5 race series at GASP...SAS. All responsible parties will come out "clean" in this because everyone was to busy drooling over this race and the rug was pulled under what we used to call the Texas Tornado Tour. All it took was 2 years!

I am sorry to rain on the parade but the writing is on the wall. I bet we get a great "PR" about the outlaw race and a little sniplet about how the slm's are dropped. Just predictions. None of this has happened yet officially but don't be surprised when it does.

The BIG question is...who is really behind this outlaw race and who/what group will administer it?

Jason

rusty mirth,

sorry you dont like my prediction. its realistic. i spoke with someone last night about all of this and they were actually the one who came up with that.

rusty ray,

your right it may not be a negative if there is some new blood involved

JASON

If that is true then tell them to let me know because ZERO money or TIME has come in from anyone other than me and my team members I am sure THEY have not TALKED to you!!! So take your predictions and well you know where the SUN don't shine.

Also My contract with San Antonio Speedway expired or is to at the end of 2006 don't see this happening before then I also have had NO talk with SAS or USRA on sponsorship next year(NOT SAYING I WON'T). Now JASON I am a pretty nice guy and I hate to tell you that you are so dead wrong on this one but I have read your past post and most of them you are wrong. If you want to talk to me my number is all over the place.

And one other thing I sponsor SAS because that is a special place to me I grew up at that track on SATURDAY NIGHTS SPENT great time there with my FATHER who I have to say THANK YOU often for taking me as a youngster. So that is how I got in the loop at OLE HWY 16 RAceway NOW SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY! It all about HISTORY young MAN and thats it!!!

I LOVE AUTO RACING I know you must not understand this in your little head but thats it.

I know the same as everyone on USRA we read TXSZ.

I am affliated with Myself and trying to get a race, a fun race and I was tired of hearing about cars in the shop or the barn.

Thanks JASON I needed to vent I had a long night going over rules and purse pay out

Again Thanks to all the PM hopefully we will be able to annouce something soon

Doug

:D Cool. Good luck. Don't take it like I was attacking you or accusing you of anything. Just had a few questions. Thank you for answering them. If you can pull it off I look forward to being there.

Jason

Did I answer your questions I am hiding nothing just ask and I will try to answer them I have been very open from the start of this thread and i still am.

Doug

My prediction.....Jason will have nothing good to say on this board.......................EVER!!!!

Are you always like this or just on here?

Maybe we need to start a petition drive to BAN Jason from this board.

Out with all his negativity....

UH-OH

;)

HAHA LOL. This is what is the problem is. It all boils down to constructive crticism. It seems one way or another that both the track and the racers get the raw end of the deal. Someone starts with a bunch of hype and then it fizzles. Doug, I know there are a bunch of racers who are ready to pull their cars out of the barn and race. I for one am ready right now. All I need is to have somebody letter it for me and just go. It is very easy to put something in writing on here but I believe it takes dedication. If someone is willing to put on a race or a new series then lets get the ball rolling. The new year is almost here and a lot of people like myself can't afford major changes in rules. Good luck to however this post goes and I hope it can become a reality. Keep up the good work Doug.

Doug,

I wouldn't take any of this personally if I were you. I think all of us a bumed out about the possibility of SLM racing going by the wayside in our area. A lot of people see your thread as a possible demonstration that car count can be increased with the right formula, otherwise you wouldn't have so many rule suggestions. We all know there are enough cars and drivers around here to fill the field, but we don't hear/see any positive direction from the current owner; only hints that they may not continue the series.

I have never worried about SLM's going away for good, because like SAS trying to kill asphalt modifieds some years back, Wayne stepped in with TAMS and revived the class. SLM's are too popular for them to go away for good. I think alot of people are wondering if (or hopeing) you are the Wayne Norrel of SLM's.

Just put your race together and if you get the formula right 'they will come', if you don't get it right, we will at least know 2 formulas (the current one and yours) that don't work. Don't you think all the track and series owners are watching this thread? Mary Ann even posted encouragement to keep it going. This thread shows what owners, drivers and fans want. Some of it may be good, some not so good. As the televangelists are fond of saying, 'chew the meat an spit out the bones', but don't get pissed off (they don't say that part).

Rusty

it was a Open comment on an open forum......................? .............and you call it negativity?

the world of rainbows and roses.

i guess anybody with a differing opinion from that of the majority of this board should be banned , that would make it appear to be a perfect world , wouldn't mel.

BUNCH OF CATTLE!

I would suggest using the Lakeland Florida SPEEDFEST 2007 rules as a guide for formulating a set of rules that would accomodate all types of SLM combinations. The SPEEDFEST rules are a good attempt to allow lots of car and engine parameters. These SPEEDFEST rules were jointly designed by the Florida Sunbelt Series, the CRA Super Series, and USA Speedway.

http://usaspeedway.com/Race-2007-01-27-Main.html

Why not let 'em bring anything they want and make 'em run a 350 two barrel? That would about level the playing field.

Why not let 'em bring anything they want and make 'em run a 350 two barrel? That would about level the playing field.

I thought we went over this and had it settled. There's no reason to put a $2000 ASA legal 390 carb on the shelf so I can run a stinkin' 350 2BBL and take my $20,000 9 to 1 engine down to zero HP!!! :angry: Next I guess we can make eeryone run regular 83 octane unleaded pump gas! What a waste of brain power.

FORGET the "DESIGNATED CARB" rule .. all it does is park cars.

I know there's not a lot of 9 to 1's out there (parts being so hard to come by and all), but probably more than you think. "One carb per engine whatever size you wanna run" - that outta be the rule. No turbos, no blowers, no injection, no nitrous .. just racing gas and any carb you wanna run. (And I'll defer to the chemists out there about additives...)

The best neutralizer is lbs / cu . in. -- I happen to like 8 lbs / cu. in. just fine. :)

Archived