Outlaw SLM Race

hcwsracing

Let me be clear. I was offering some input as a fan.

I know that shocks and tires are two decently easy areas to equalize cars and deter cubic dollars. All the high dollar engines in the world won't do anybody any good if you can't hook it up. People want to see fast crowded racing. I think drivers want the same. Keep in mind a super late model is really an oxymoron. A late model is merely the pinnacle of the short track heap. Making a SUPER just means that you turned the LM into a limited late model. By tightly controlling only a few specific areas and allowing anything else in the others, You could in reality open up the racing, and attract more cars. If all of that sounds stupid coming from a fan, well I'll keep my stupid opinion to myself. (NOT) You guys with the huge SLM car counts seem to have all the answers anyway.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let them be OUTLAW for a outlaw race. Go back to the bodies like they ran in the early 80s,limit dimensions and heights,go for 60% left side and 2700lbs,8 or 12" spoilers,if you want to limit them on carbs have them run the 500 carb. As much as I would like to see wider rims,I would say leave it at 10" rims any tire,make the race long enough so if you ran too soft of a tire you would lose out due to needing to change it under green because it wore out.Oh yes 6" setback on engines from ball joint.I do remember when in the 80s they was going to run a outlaw race at SAS and the rule was going to be that the spoiler and body panels had to fit under the flagstand and thru back gate but it never happened. Main event racing series has some neat body rules and they are easy to make compared to the ABC rules.If I wanted to watch taxi cabs race I would watch the NASCAR races on Sundays,let them look like real race cars. :D

I like the 500 carb rule,but then I already got one. I also would be good with 10" wheel with any tire allowed. I say if it fits on the car you can run it. And with my engine I'll be getting whoopped up on but I'll be racin with more than a few cars at my level.

if you want to limit them on carbs have them run the 500 carb.

You just eliminated all the 9:1 motors with that 500 carb rule idea. I thought the point was to include as many cars as possible. Just make it "one carb only", no injection, no nitrous, no blowers, no turbos.

10" tires and wheels, no required tire brand.

What about fuel? Track supplied or run what you want? Alcohol?

8 lbs / cu. in. works! 350 cu. in. = 2800 lbs. (This lets the V6 crowd run too!)

Bodies = any, but have to be full bodied (this means fenders, hoods and roofs) and meet 4" ground clearance. Let 'um run the big spoiler and see how fast they start trimming it down for the feature...

Wheelbase min 103, max 112. Offset 57% perimeter 58%

SAFETY: head/helmet restraint, fire suit, Snell rated racing helmet, 5 point quick release harness, fire extinguisher/halon system, driver side door bars (4), window net, fuel cell w/ rollover valve. (I don't know why anybody would want to race without these anyway, but it's always good to make it mandatory.)

if you want to limit them on carbs have them run the 500 carb.

You just eliminated all the 9:1 motors with that 500 carb rule idea. I thought the point was to include as many cars as possible. Just make it "one carb only", no injection, no nitrous, no blowers, no turbos.

10" tires and wheels, no required tire brand.

What about fuel? Track supplied or run what you want? Alcohol?

8 lbs / cu. in. works! 350 cu. in. = 2800 lbs. (This lets the V6 crowd run too!)

Bodies = any, but have to be full bodied (this means fenders, hoods and roofs) and meet 4" ground clearance. Let 'um run the big spoiler and see how fast they start trimming it down for the feature...

Wheelbase min 103, max 112. Offset 57% perimeter 58%

SAFETY: head/helmet restraint, fire suit, Snell rated racing helmet, 5 point quick release harness, fire extinguisher/halon system, driver side door bars (4), window net, fuel cell w/ rollover valve. (I don't know why anybody would want to race without these anyway, but it's always good to make it mandatory.)

Racer Duck

Not bad! I agree you can't limit the carb. That eliminates cars, not includes cars. The lbs/ci rule works and was used by TIDA. That way cars can make a lot of HP with a relatively low investment. Add "no fins, rudders or wings" to the body rule. Actually it's probably best to use some existing body rule as long as it does not require a specific body or body type, that way you have ride height (or crank height) rules, roof height, tread width, etc., etc.

From a fans point of view,I have to say $30.00 for a Fri-Sat. event that truely has a starting field of 30-34 super late models,is fair.If that field of cars had a tradition of qualifying within a second or less from top to bottm as does the Snowball,$40.00 or more.Of course families would definately need some sort of break at the gate.The families will make up for that break at the consession stand easily.People on fixed incomes should pay the same prices as they did 20 years ago seeing their income seems to reflect that.(unfortunatly).Have a section closer to the track for paid parking.As long as there are plenty of free spaces nobody should complain,although we know they will but....it would help raise the purse.Just make sure somebody gets that parking fee into the purse.

Just remember,big events aren't always at their peak on the first try.It has to become a tradition.If so,word of mouth will take over.

I hope it happens Doug...I'm there.

I seem to remember the teams that asked for the change in rules when the season started, but didnt those teams quit running or go run the blizzard series and never run again with the USRA in 06??? Im confused. Did we have 22 cars at the first race? And I really dont recall 15 teams wanting the change...........

Damn right. Im one of the underfunded teams, that has competed for the last 5 years. I have NEVER been asked by the sanctioning body about a rules change. And I have never asked for one either.

You can count my ride in also, but, 9-1 motor with the asa legal 390 carb would have to be legal, im not buying another motor. Weight doesnt matter. Give a time and a place. Cars in the box ready to go now.

From a fans point of view, I have to say $30.00 for a Fri-Sat. event...

Whew, Turbo -Diesel - send me some of your money (j/k - a little "sticker shock"). If you're thinking $30 for two nights, I can see that. As a long-time fan, I can't see paying that much for one night. Not unless it's 30+ cars to start the feature, and a fair number more going through heats & consis.

And given what i've seen in other threads (and seen in person), I'd want to see/hear some evidence of how many cars have committed (better yet - pre-entered) before shelling out that kind of money.

From a fans point of view,I have to say $30.00 for a Fri-Sat. event that truely has a starting field of 30-34 super late models

I agree. $30 for a 2 day event with that many cars is more than fair. And I like the "Family Deal" also - that's the way to get lots of kids and parents. Save 'em a few bucks at the gate and you'll get it back at the concession and more. Wouldn't hurt to have an event t-shirt either. :D

What about the other side of the fence = pit passes & entry fees? I really don't like trying to make the purse on the back gate. And these dern SLM's are expensive enough without inflated back gate fees.

9-1 motor with the asa legal 390 carb

guess I blew that one .. I meant to say "any carb, but only one on the engine at a time." :)

You can count my ride in also, but, 9-1 motor with the asa legal 390 carb would have to be legal, im not buying another motor. Weight doesnt matter.

I think Racer Duck meant you can run any carb. If you want to run your 390, run it, but if you want to pep it up, bolt a 750 on it (if the bottom end will take it and the heads will flow it).

30$ or $40 for 2 days of racing sounds fair, but 30$ would be pretty stiff for just 1 night... I have a family of 4... My wife, me, and 2 kids, one of which is in the free range... so say 30$ times 2 for My wife and I, then whats the kids price say somewhere in the 6-10$ range, that way like someone said before we will have money for concessions..

One idea is advanced family packages for people like me or even larger family packages for people with a whole lot of kids... THen single ticket pricing thats higher....

i'm turning blue already.........................................................................

i think when they build that new space station on the moon , i'll ask if i can pay for the fuel and catch a ride.

$30.00 for a Fri-Sat show has been about the norm,I didn't make it up,so why the sticker shock?The cost part of my post wasn't what my focus was,nor was it where the difference from the norm was.The car count was what I expected most of the controversy to stem from.

p.s.-it has always been $10 on Friday night and $15-$20 on Saturday night.

-if the show is there consistantly so will the racing crowd,it's always been that way.

-looking through history,not speculating.

As for the racers?...just because they have always put up some money to use the playground...does that mean it has to always be that way?...couldn't someone try something different?

Duck...it just seems like I read alot about the troubling car counts.Then I read about the fees the racers have to pay to race.Something about this doesn't look right.I'm not sure why they have to pay exactly,maybe the insurance is null and void if the money doesn't come from or get signed off by the racers themselve,or whatever.I feel if there aren't any legal issues then let the car,driver,and a pre-determined number of crew in for free.

A stretched idea might be to have complimentary diesel at the track for those who pull more than a set distance.(just using the imagination)

TD, I think most racers plan to spend a specific amount as "race expense". It comes down to entry fees, pit passes, hotel/KOA bills, meals for the driver and crew (and families), and fuel for the tow vehicle. And, I'd be telling a fib if I said we wouldn't want a break on those. Some (lucky) racers have sponsors that pick up the tab, most don't. I don't.

I'd like to see entry fees lower. I think $100 is about right for a SLM, lower for other classes. I have experience with tracks making the purse from the back gate (I include entry fees in the back gate) and don't like it. The entry fee should be what it costs to pay the bills for that race - purse excluded! And the entry fee should include pit passes for the driver and one other (I'd love the owner to be included, but everyone knows the owner has lots of $$$, so I won't go there ;) ) And while I'd love some "corporate" sponsor to fund the entry fee bucket for a race, I realize that bucket can't just go away. Now, if we were bringing in SRO crowds, then maybe :rolleyes:

In the old days, tracks paid "tow money", usually if you failed to make the show (feature.) That goes a long way to getting a car back next time .. knowing if they still didn't make the show, they get a few bucks for "gas money" again. And "gas" was a lot cheaper back then!

But I think the biggest expense in putting a car on the track is rules. When they change, it costs more. Even when it's supposed to be cheaper "in the long run". Trouble is, when the long run finally gets done, there have been more changes that are also saving me more money "someday". I'm going broke saving money!

More cars will show up if the rules don't change during the year, and the new rules are reviewed by all the affected racers for comments prior to publishing .. publish date should be within 30 days of the last race of the season. It's not that the racers will approve the rules on first reading, that'll never happen ;) But they will feel better knowing they had a chance to voice their opinion and that they had been heard.

Now, if anyone wants to donate a few bucks to an underfunded SLM, I happen to know a very appreciative team. :):):):D

Archived