Chicago Race

JamesHigdon

People bitched ENDLESSLY about this race, certainly one of the best Cup races I’ve ever seen and probably a top ten of any race I’ve ever watched. Competitive international drivers (F1 and SuperCar Champs like back in the Golden Era of international racing), numerous competitive cars (including ones that can’t keep up on the cookie cutter tracks), rain racing, new track…unbelievably good race and an unbelievably good call on NASCAR’s part.

A lot of people are going to disagree with this but I think NASCAR is in another golden era.

I thought it was awesome.  I was VERY skeptical about the course layout and boy was I wrong, and happy to be wrong.  That race was absolutely awesome.  And Chicago is an awesome city.  Def want to go next year.

I thought the race itself wasn't too bad. What I don't care for is how they had to call the Xfinity race done with not reaching halfway. I was worried the Cup race wasn't going to happen at all. I understand the weather is something nobody can control except for Allen Holt. What would have happened if the Cup race was never able to be ran? Chicago needs their streets back. if they couldn't have got it started would Hamlin been the winner? I know that's a crazy notion but what where their plan if it could not start? No more off weekends until the end of the season. I don't think Chicago would do another set up for the race at the end of the year. Good chance of snow being on the ground by that time. 

From what they were saying on TV and a couple my buddies who work on the 9 JRM team were saying, they had contingencies to run on Monday *or* lay over and run on Tuesday, but decided since it was literally 2 to go until the race was *official* for xfinity, and there was no doubt they could get Cup in if the weather cleared, they decided to just call the Xfinity race and move to Cup, 2 laps wasn't worth keeping everyone on staff, and asking spectators to come back Monday or Tuesday, for, literally , 2 laps to make it official.

While it was pretty wild on paper, all things considered, I think it was the right call.

11 hours ago, JamesHigdon said:

I think NASCAR is in another golden era.

NO!!!

It was alright and only one real train wreck. I loved SVG, with his roots in dirt Sprints/Midgets, was able to get the win over the regulars. That was the best part of all, and golly-gee, he passed everyone clean!....No bump-n-run, no shoving out of the way, no door slamming.....While some, on the other hand, drove as usual, with head up rectum.

12 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

NO!!!

It was alright and only one real train wreck. I loved SVG, with his roots in dirt Sprints/Midgets, was able to get the win over the regulars. That was the best part of all, and golly-gee, he passed everyone clean!....No bump-n-run, no shoving out of the way, no door slamming.....While some, on the other hand, drove as usual, with head up rectum.

PART TIME road course drivers  against a full time  road course driver .. put  him  on a circle track he may have issues  .. he showed alot of drivers how to do it .. had the two lead cars had tires he would not have  had got to them with out a yellow  .. .. but i was amazed at his driving abuility  and jumping into a reverse  car  isnt all that easy .. ..... i wont question him on a road course  ..  who knows just how good that car was or how bad it was ..  some drivers have the talent to figure how to get the most ..

What an amazing event.  Tv Ratings through the roof, crowds everywhere even in the bad weather, a master showing his racing craft for Australia, it doesnt get better than that.  His little foot work that they displayed on TV was amazing.  And Bubbles showed his skills several times.  

Second most watched NASCAR event behind only the Daytona 500. Ratings success? Check. It was announced during the race that 75% of the fans there it was their first NASCAR race. New fans? Maybe. Let's see if NASCAR gets a bump on the events the rest of the year. But it leans towards yes. The real test will be if they sustain the interest the next two years. Kevin Harvick had an interesting take. He said they should do Chicago say every two years to build up excitement for the next Chicago event.In place of the Chicago event they could go race in Canada or Mexico and test the International market. Overall I thought it was a big success given all the weather. As for all the crashes and spins Chase Elliot said the guy that won probably went home telling how bad NASCAR road racers were!

I will say this take the weather out of the situation and it be a dry racetrack you don't have all the wrecks that they have.

95% of those wrecks were due to the road being wet and not having traction.  The main one I saw that was driver error was Austin Dillon hit the inside wall in the turn, like Chase did on Saturday. You could see it during the end of the race Haley would run one groove and be fine come around the next lap and miss it by about a foot and the car would start acting funny and twitching.

Yea, rain element made it interesting for sure.  It was manageable to run the race when the rain slowed down and the puddles were gone, unlike when they tried it at COTA.  But the COTA deal was part of the learning process.  They got it right this time.

3 minutes ago, 24nomo said:

Yea, rain element made it interesting for sure.  It was manageable to run the race when the rain slowed down and the puddles were gone, unlike when they tried it at COTA.  But the COTA deal was part of the learning process.  They got it right this time.

rain or dry ..if u are a racer   with talent u can over come the problem .. ...  dirt  racers do that  very weekend  .start out wet and slick  .. 

8 hours ago, 24nomo said:

Tv Ratings through the roof

My take, yes more people watched....But how many watched; 1) hoping to see a real clusterflop/train wreck, 2)as new(as in never watched racing before), 3)the old timers just checking back in to the latest gimmick, 4)regulars who will watch any motorsports.....If you could show me a break down of those, that's be great.

#imasolid4

Edited by rebelracewriter
fat fingers dont type well

On 7/5/2023 at 5:48 PM, rebelracewriter said:

My take, yes more people watched....But how many watched; 1) hoping to see a real clusterflop/train wreck, 2)as new(as in never watched racing before), 3)the old timers just checking back in to the latest gimmick, 4)regulars who will watch any motorsports.....If you could show me a break down of those, that's be great.

#imasolid4

There's a 5th category. I was at SAS at 3 weeks old, I think I fit into the old-timer category even at 37 but NASCAR had gotten monotonous and boring so I stopped watching. What brought me back really was the trucks on dirt...then the road courses...then Cup on dirt and on and on. Now I try to watch most every race again (as long as RaceonTexas doesn't have something). I watched Chicago and enjoyed it thoroughly. The 5th category is old-timers actually interested in what NASCAR is doing now. 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:47 AM, JamesHigdon said:

There's a 5th category. I was at SAS at 3 weeks old, I think I fit into the old-timer category even at 37 but NASCAR had gotten monotonous and boring so I stopped watching. What brought me back really was the trucks on dirt...then the road courses...then Cup on dirt and on and on. Now I try to watch most every race again (as long as RaceonTexas doesn't have something). I watched Chicago and enjoyed it thoroughly. The 5th category is old-timers actually interested in what NASCAR is doing now. 

WOW  37  .shoot u are still wet behind the ears  .young man .. i got u on 30 more .nick well  he has me  by .i cant count that high takes to long ..