How Long

24nomo

I loved the way old school drivers used to handle a driver that couldn't stop wrecking others. Several of the drivers that were wrecked by said driver, took turns wrecking said driver over several weeks. After that, if said driver was still financially able to keep coming back, they'd take that driver off to the side and ask a simple question. Have you had enough yet? The usual response was yes. Every once in a while, a driver either had a really large bank account, or a large quantity of stupidity, and they'd say no. Eventually they got the message, or ran out of money. Either way the situation usually got handled. If they were just overly stupid, behind the trailer action usually ended things. 

I can't respect a driver that can't seem to pass anyone without wrecking them. That ain't racing. 

He definitely has been in a few but I think people are jumping on the bandwagon of blaming everything on Chastain. Sure, some he committed but most are not his fault. Most of the people who loved Earnhardt Sr. thought he could do no wrong. I on the other hand thought he was the dirtiest driver out there and therefore was not a fan. Hamlin wrecks people. Do they go off on him? No. In the future sit back, observe and be objective about what happened. I promise I will do the same. 

Not all of it is on  HIM .. . BUT  he got way ever his head on that restart ..just htink had nascar  slowed wown and made sure  ross didnt  jump the start when he did  .that wrwck would not have happend  ...as for me  when  was racing . i only  took one man out  and wrecked him .. . i took another deep into a turn   to get the message  .and anyo others . i talk to them in the pits .if they had attitude  about it  i told them get ready for next week   u will be building a new car  and i dont mind building me one  fact ill have a new one out next week  after words ..  so make your choice now  finish it here in the pits or on the track  ...... never had any more issues with any of them .. ill race u like u race me .you want to wreck me  be ready to except my gift .

Just now, HiTech said:

Not all of it is on  HIM .. . BUT  he got way  over his head on that restart  .. byon  knew that was going to happen  and made the right move .. ..as for me when  i was racing .. if i hit someone i said i was sorry  if i hit them on purpose i  would tell them why .. at times i talk to them in the   pits after cooling down ..  i gave them the option  .finish it here in the pits  or on the track  their choice  . can u have a new car out the next week  i can .. i have no problem losing a car  do u .  problem solved ..

I don't think "everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of blaming him for everything". I think that he is driving the bandwagon himself. This is a guy that operated mostly in obscurity, and now has a good ride. He has a team owner that has openly said he doesn't care how many people that Ross pisses off. And as long as he doesn't piss off sponsors into leaving, nothing will change. NASCAR it seems is okay with what he's doing, as I guess they subscribe to the old saying that "publicity, even bad publicity, is still good". So now it's down to the drivers to say if they've had enough.

At the end of the day, all of this is NASCAR's fault. When you create a championship path like Brian France did, this is what you get. When it's win and you're in the playoffs, there really isn't that much of a choice for drivers/teams. Couple that with the way the networks cover the races in the playoffs. If you ain't in, you don't exist. One thing that is certain, NASCAR will never admit that this playoff system isn't working. You can't create that "bottom of the 9th moment in the World Series, or last second field goal in the Super Bowl, without it looking/feeling like the WWE. I wonder if NASCAR will ever figure out that the loss of fans at the track, loss of tv viewership, and the loss of major team sponsorships might just be connected to this playoff system? That will never happen. 

It all may be a moot point though. The RTA has finally come out and said what they're pissed off about. Apparently NASCAR has already agreed to give the teams a little bigger piece of the tv money pie (that was from the RTA, and don't know that to be a fact). The RTA said last week that the charter system is the big sticking point. They want the charter system to become permanent, but NASCAR won't commit to that, as the charter system ends at the same time as the current tv deal. Quite honestly, I can't figure this out. If the teams/RTA don't race in NASCAR, how much is that charter worth? Who is going to pay a big chunk of money for a charter where no teams are racing? If they leave NASCAR, to race in a yet unknown racing series, how much is that charter worth? Will the new series simply just bless these teams with some monetary sum for showing up? I can understand them fighting for a bigger piece of the tv money. I also can understand that they want to have their investment be worth something, if they decide to leave the sport. I don't see how that charter will save them if they leave, or NASCAR folds. So worrying whether or not Chastain is wrecking everyone might become a forgotten topic in a few months. I don't see Jim France sitting him, or any drivers downing and saying that's enough, like Bill Jr did Earnhardt & Bodine. Time will tell, but I think it could be a bumpy summer in NASCARVILLE..

Ron, if they didn’t have this playoff system a reasonable driver would have been racing to finish the race first and have a good points day. So yes, it has completely changed how people drive. But I am not so much worried about drivers hurting each other, they have enough to worry about with this new car doing it to them on its own. It’s not a safe race car. They have went backwards in that department when they made this switch. This car isn’t safe. 

7 minutes ago, ron.brown11 said:

I don't think "everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of blaming him for everything". I think that he is driving the bandwagon himself. This is a guy that operated mostly in obscurity, and now has a good ride. He has a team owner that has openly said he doesn't care how many people that Ross pisses off. And as long as he doesn't piss off sponsors into leaving, nothing will change. NASCAR it seems is okay with what he's doing, as I guess they subscribe to the old saying that "publicity, even bad publicity, is still good". So now it's down to the drivers to say if they've had enough.

At the end of the day, all of this is NASCAR's fault. When you create a championship path like Brian France did, this is what you get. When it's win and you're in the playoffs, there really isn't that much of a choice for drivers/teams. Couple that with the way the networks cover the races in the playoffs. If you ain't in, you don't exist. One thing that is certain, NASCAR will never admit that this playoff system isn't working. You can't create that "bottom of the 9th moment in the World Series, or last second field goal in the Super Bowl, without it looking/feeling like the WWE. I wonder if NASCAR will ever figure out that the loss of fans at the track, loss of tv viewership, and the loss of major team sponsorships might just be connected to this playoff system? That will never happen. 

It all may be a moot point though. The RTA has finally come out and said what they're pissed off about. Apparently NASCAR has already agreed to give the teams a little bigger piece of the tv money pie (that was from the RTA, and don't know that to be a fact). The RTA said last week that the charter system is the big sticking point. They want the charter system to become permanent, but NASCAR won't commit to that, as the charter system ends at the same time as the current tv deal. Quite honestly, I can't figure this out. If the teams/RTA don't race in NASCAR, how much is that charter worth? Who is going to pay a big chunk of money for a charter where no teams are racing? If they leave NASCAR, to race in a yet unknown racing series, how much is that charter worth? Will the new series simply just bless these teams with some monetary sum for showing up? I can understand them fighting for a bigger piece of the tv money. I also can understand that they want to have their investment be worth something, if they decide to leave the sport. I don't see how that charter will save them if they leave, or NASCAR folds. So worrying whether or not Chastain is wrecking everyone might become a forgotten topic in a few months. I don't see Jim France sitting him, or any drivers downing and saying that's enough, like Bill Jr did Earnhardt & Bodine. Time will tell, but I think it could be a bumpy summer in NASCARVILLE..

on other note i notice bubba isnt happy with 5 th place .. .. boy isnt happy about anything  he has turned out to be a big crybaby ;; i lost respect for him  on the noose deal and the blm on the car .. 

27 minutes ago, HiTech said:

on other note I notice bubba isn't happy with 5 th place .. .. boy isn't happy about anything he has turned out to be a big crybaby; I lost respect for him on the noose deal and the BLM on the car .. 

I agree whole heartily. 

6 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

There was a shit ton of "running each other up the track" during that race.....One that gives it out, must also take the return treatment.

And where's the outrage over Truex driving over Logano's hood?

i have been pushed up to the wall  and have done so myself to others ..its racing  in my books   unless you drive  me into the wall   or me drove u into the wall  .. fair is fair   if u can get the advantage  take it . wreck someone expect it back ..in this case with ross  .he knew what he was doing  . 

11 hours ago, HiTech said:

nick had all  kinds of typos on the first  one . why can i not clear it off .. u use to be able to blank it out  .what am i doing wrong in that department .. 

See those three little dots in the upper right of the post?  Click on them and choose "edit."

11 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

And where's the outrage over Truex driving over Logano's hood?

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. There are probably people out there who wants to put the blame on Chastain somehow.

Chastain in certainly entertaining the fans.  He has quite a resume in which he has wrecked people.  He is behind many disasters week end and week out.   I am sure that is positive in many ways.   At this point, TH sponsors are putting themselves at risk, enabling this guy.  It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then the lawsuits hit.  I am sure Justin Marks addressed that in his little sit down with Ross yesterday.  Enjoy it while you can

Getting more WWE every week , isn't it. Gregson had issues in the past but he is 100% correct that no one confronts Chastain. I'm not in favor of getting even on the track because the result can drag other cars into the incident. Dropping the gloves in the pits is much better than wrecking people on the track. As long as they do it where the fans can see!

I agree with you Rebelracewriter, there was a lot of drivers getting into each other Sunday. That's Darlington, always has been. Where Ross separates himself from the majority of the others, is he nearly always ensures that the other car comes out on the worst end of it. Some people are quick to compare him Dale Sr, but I disagree. He reminds me a lot more of Ernie Irvan's early Cup years. There was no doubt that he had great talent, but to quote Tony Stewart of another driver, he was like a dart without any feathers. Ernie has been quoted many times, crediting Richard Petty & Dale Sr with calming him down. So if you've got Dale Sr saying that you're tearing up too much stuff, you are. According to Justin Marks, they've had some really frank talks in the last 48 hours, with sponsors & Chevy. Stating that Ross needs to "clean up" some things. I think that Ross is an incredible talent. I have no idea what kind of money his family's watermelon farm generates. But I seriously doubt that it can fund his Cup team if he runs off sponsors, or a manufacturer. 

I don't generally read Jenna Fryer's columns, as they tend to feel like fluff pieces. Not so here. So I copied/pasted the whole thing. This is why I said before, all the worries of Ross's escapades could become irrelevant.   

NASCAR spent the weekend at Darlington Raceway celebrating its 75th anniversary, a salute that will now move to North Wilkesboro Speedway with the first Cup Series race at the reopened track since 1996.

The nostalgic nod to NASCAR’s early days has created a festive atmosphere at the surface level for the stock car series. Underneath, though, is a dispute between NASCAR and its Cup teams that is hanging over this summer celebration.

The Associated Press obtained a letter last week essentially sent by the entire Cup field to NASCAR that warns a tentative agreement to a new industry revenue breakdown depends on its franchises becoming permanent, rather than renewable. The charter system introduced in 2016 guarantees race entry and earnings to 36 of 40 teams each week, but the charters must be renewed and can be revoked.

The current charters expire at the end of the 2024 season and the teams have made it clear they want them permanent — the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Lakers or any team from a stick-and-ball league don't have to renew their franchises — and have asked NASCAR for meaningful discussion on why NASCAR opposes the idea. 

Because the sides are at a “significant impasse” on the charters, the teams skipped an April meeting with series leadership and NASCAR's top executives are now meeting individually with the teams. 

NASCAR points to those conversations as proof that talks remain amicable. Denny Hamlin, a veteran driver and founding owner of three-year-old Cup team 23XI, said he believes the individual meetings are meant to undermine the strength in collective negotiating by the chartered teams. 

“I think there was a little bit of (negotiating) traction, but it looks like NASCAR’s not acknowledging the negotiating committee anymore,” said Hamlin. “They’d rather do it the way they did it 20, 30 years ago and meet team-by-team and try to pick them off one-by-one and get a deal done that way.”

The negotiating committee has representatives from four teams, tasked to hammer out a new revenue sharing model for the Race Team Alliance, the consortium of 16 organizations that hold all 36 charters, which collectively are worth tens of millions. The committee is comprised of Jeff Gordon representing Hendrick Motorsports; Joe Gibbs Racing president Dave Alpern; RFK Racing president Steve Newmark; and Curtis Polk, an owner in 23XI Racing and longtime business manager for Michael Jordan.

Hamlin said the insistence on making charters permanent is to protect what owners have invested in NASCAR. Through two full seasons of launching a startup team, Hamlin said his investment alone is already $20 million. 

“I certainly don’t want to lose my $20 million for sure," Hamlin said. “It’s just worrisome that it can come down to one person saying they don’t want to renew (the charter). Too risky. Too risky. Got to give us some sort of security.” 

NASCAR has already met individually with Hendrick Motorsports, and team owner Rick Hendrick said: “NASCAR is listening, so we’ll see if we can’t get something worked out that everybody can live with.”

Gordon, after William Byron on Sunday won at Darlington to give Hendrick five wins this season, downplayed the perceived tenor of current negotiations. He noted NASCAR is also in the middle of talks on a new television rights deal; the current package with FOX and NBC Sports expires at the end of 2024, same as the charters. 

To renew a charter beyond the 2024 season, the teams had to inform NASCAR in February of their intent. The negotiating window on renewals is July 1 through Dec. 31; under current terms, NASCAR is supposed to negotiate in good faith and shouldn't revoke a charter without cause.

“We all want the same thing. We all want to have a sport that’s thriving that fans love and great competition... and also have something that works out economically for the teams, for the tracks, for NASCAR and everybody involved,” Gordon said. “I think we’re in a good place, but we’re also making sure that NASCAR knows kind of where the teams stand and how united they are.”

Now comes a test of just how united the teams really are. 

Although the chartered teams have made it clear in writing that the negotiating committee speaks on behalf of all of them, nothing is stopping anyone from cutting an individual deal with NASCAR. If one team breaks from the others, negotiators will have little to no bargaining power. 

The negotiating committee hasn't met with NASCAR since March, and aside from the individual team meetings, there are not current formal discussions on any of the roughly nine points both sides want addressed in the revenue model. 

NASCAR has declined to publicly comment on the issue of permanent charters but has said it wants to work with the teams to fix their economic concerns. If NASCAR really means that, then it needs to get back to the bargaining table. 

Despite the feel good moments of May leading into this week's All-Star race and then the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the tension is thick behind the scenes and might only get worse as this season rolls on. 

___

AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

14 hours ago, NickHolt said:

See those three little dots in the upper right of the post?  Click on them and choose "edit."

THANKS  nick  . met allan and wife at the rodeo  as we went  through the gates a ticket taker who was  deaf   told allan his name  in sign language.. i didnt see this part lorraine  did  alllan aswered him back  the same .. didnt know allan  knew that  ..  but the best part was .this man smiled  and was as excited if he had met elvis .. that i saw . .. oh  and the camera man spot lighted  poeple   and those spot lighted   had to kiss   the women they are with ..  well allan was spot lighted .. ..  had a good time all of us .. 

You can mad dog Ross all you want, but this dude has a lot of people talking and watching NASCAR.

I think he's great at that level.  The only car he did even slightly wrong at Darlington was himself and Larson, after Larson decided to throw back to Russ Wheeler, and I am a huge Larson fanboy, but we all saw that coming, and a dude that races 5 nights a week should have known he was playing with fire squeezing Chastain up in the wall, and that Chastain would probably do it back either correctly or incorrectly.

Larson understands "race how you want to be raced" and I wouldn't play that game with Ross Roulette Wheel Chastain having no clue what you're going to get volleyed back your way after you fire the first shot.

Lots of Crickets when everyone else wadded their stuff up on the other restarts and Chastain had nothing to do with it.  Some of you guys are starting to sound like Christopher Bell, lol.