Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

BeachBum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When something like this happens, all the experts chime in on social media. First of all, you should probably have driven a race car at least once before you show your ignorance to the whole world. Then, in this case it would help if you had at least sat in a sprint car once.

As far as this incident is concerned, the racing part looks to be pure winged sprint action (including the wreak). Until some more video comes forward it's hard to tell if the two cars even touched. What happened after that is under intense investigation. Although it is my opinion at this point, I believe this will be ruled an accident.

Here's the real tragedy. No matter what the legal ruling, Stewart will have this on his conscience forever and the Ward family will grieve, probably forever too. Then, here come the lawyers. Our sport may realize some positive changes, but the overall result will be a further loss of freedom.

The real question that should be discussed on social media is how to prevent this from happening again (without government help).

The answer to the last question is simple hray, stay in the damn car but of course we watch or participate in a very emotional sport and time to time, drivers will get out and engage other drivers. Just have to be smart in how we do so. I find it hard to believe any driver would intentionally run over a fellow driver no matter the circumstance but only that one driver will know. Honestly, that judgement isn't for us to make.

Of course my hindsight is always 20/20, but it would be smart for all tracks to have a no tollerance rule. You get out of the car to engage another driver and you're out for 1 yr from that date. It would also be nice if the rest of the tracks in the area reciprocated. (I remember an incident at SAS where the driver just went to another track.) Also, when Ward started down the track instead over the fence, the red flag should have immediately come out. I know sprint cars are a pain to restart, but..........

I saw a report on Fox Sports where Rickey Craven was asked his thoughts on driver anger.What I took out of it is you can't take the emotion and the competitive mindset out of the sport.People are going to get mad and you do things out of normal while in that state.They then showed clips of drivers out of their car doing whatever but they never left the area of their car.And track personel were present too.I'll leave it at that as it is hard to comment on this tragedy without having been there and all the intangables that go with that.I can comment on stuff I've seen at tracks and the things that stand out to me are going race speed under yellow on the track ,cutting through the infield at speed and speeding through the pits to get at someone.It is a wonder to me no one got hit under those circumstances through the years.Mr. Ward didn't do anything that thousands hadn't done before except get too close perhaps.

The worst part for tony, is that the video looks like he did it intentional when we can all agree he would never do that. I can't imagine what he is going through and ward's family. It's the things we do that drivers or crews get hurt or killed on the track but not in a car. Crazy.

I remember a late model race at sas around 2003 or so when a car hit the wall out of turn 4 and then get out of his car right away. Little did he know, the whole field of cars were coming out of 4 hot and heavy until the flag man realized there was a car stuck in the wall. It was super close for him. I thought he was definitly going to meet his maker.

I saw a report on Fox Sports where Rickey Craven was asked his thoughts on driver anger.What I took out of it is you can't take the emotion and the competitive mindset out of the sport.People are going to get mad and you do things out of normal while in that state.They then showed clips of drivers out of their car doing whatever but they never left the area of their car.And track personel were present too.I'll leave it at that as it is hard to comment on this tragedy without having been there and all the intangables that go with that.I can comment on stuff I've seen at tracks and the things that stand out to me are going race speed under yellow on the track ,cutting through the infield at speed and speeding through the pits to get at someone.It is a wonder to me no one got hit under those circumstances through the years.Mr. Ward didn't do anything that thousands hadn't done before except get too close perhaps.

i saw that after the nascar race and had to agree . i thought the same when they showed the nascar drivers doing the same there was safety crews at most of those ......

I THINK IT WOULD BE FITTING TO HAVE THE RULE YOU CLIMB OUT OF YOUR CAR TO CONFRONT ANOTHER RACER .YOU WILL MISS A FEW RACES TO GET YOUR THINKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE .IF YOUR CAR IS NOT UPSIDE DOWN OR ON FIRE OR A SAFETY ISSUE AFTER A WRECK STAY IN IT TILL SAFETY CREW IS THERE TO HELP YOU OUT ..AND IN ORDER TO HONOR THIS YOUNG MAN .NAME THE RULE AEFTER HIM ..THE WARD RULE .AND MAKE EVERYONE WRITE THEIR NAME AFTER READING THE RULE .AND ALL TRACKS SHOULD BE INFORMED OF THE DRIVER WHO BRAKES THE RULE TO NOT LET THAT DRIVER RACE AT ANY TRACK CLOSE TO HOME ...JUST THINK OF WHAT THE INSURANCE MAY DO NOW .THIS CAN AND MOST LIKELY HAVE AN IMPACT

No need for a new rule. It is common sense that you don't get out of your car to beat up a moving race car.

If you need a new rule for that, you should also make it illegal to swim with 50-pound lead weights tied to your feet. And even if you did, someone would try to get around the rule by using 49.9-pound weights.

Nick

Common sense??? Nick, what track did you go to that a driver showed common sense after getting mad? We are our own worst enemy. Thats why its up to drivers to take the responsibility and be the better person. If two drivers have that attitude while racing each other it makes for some great and clean racing.

BTW, common sense tells you not to speed thru the pits and it is a rule but........

No need for a new rule. It is common sense that you don't get out of your car to beat up a moving race car.

If you need a new rule for that, you should also make it illegal to swim with 50-pound lead weights tied to your feet. And even if you did, someone would try to get around the rule by using 49.9-pound weights.

Nick

WELL NICK .COMMON SENSE DID NOT PLAY A PART HERE . LACK OF...A STRONG RULE MAY HELP WITH THAT .AND I DONT LIKE RULES BUT .......IF IT SAVES ONE PERSON ITS A RULE I CAN LIVE WITH AND THE ONE WHO WAS SAVED .BE HARD TO GET AROUND THIS RULE .

The knee jerk reaction is to put in new rules.I agree with Nick.No rule should be needed. When the line is crossed most tracks take care of it.Some promote it for the next race.Outside of the fire extiguisher (I know I mispelled that!) and a head butt from a helmuted to an unhelmuted driver all of the most dangerous things I have seen everyone were IN their cars.

A statement from Canandaigua Motorsports Park’s promoter, Jeremie Corcoran

“ I am extremely devastated from the tragic incident that occurred at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday night as I know are many, many, others.

First and foremost I offer my sincerest and deepest condolences to the Ward family. Kevin Ward Jr was a spirited competitor and loved by so many. This is a tremendous loss to this family and the racing family as well. I have spoken to the family and they spent prayer time at the track Sunday in the early morning hours. Godspeed #13!

To all the fans that witnessed this incident I have you in my thoughts. This has been difficult to process and it surely is not what you come to the races for. I do ask that you hold on to your integrity and have compassion for everyone that was involved in this. I understand that we all can have opinions and have the right to express them, I just ask that you think about all the lives that have been affected over this before you speak out. So many people are affected. So many are hurting. No one deserves more pain or blame. We need unity to support all that are hurting and the sport of racing we care so much about. That is the only way for us to heal and move forward.

To all my staff that responded to this terrible tragedy I thank you for your professionalism and dedication. Our Medical Staff did everything they could and I know you are all hurting. All the Safety and Track Officials that scrambled to secure the track and keep everyone focused and calm I thank you. To all my friends that have called/texted me I thank you for your encouragement and support.

I have made the decision to cancel our upcoming "Whacko Wednesday" event on Wednesday August 13th at Canandaigua Motorsports Park to give my family, staff, fans, and racing teams time to grieve and process all that has occurred. I will let everyone know about next weekend as soon as I can.

Lastly, I had to have our Facebook Page taken down early Sunday morning due to insensitive and hateful comments. I plead with you to be respectful so we can keep this page active for you to keep informed. “

Sincerely,
Jeremie Corcoran and Family

Terrible situation and I don't type well enough to express my full thoughts on this. Bottom line we have seen this out of the car stuff rise since Kurt Busch made it mainstream awhile back. Stay in the car unless you are on fire or safety crews tell you to get out whatever the deal. If you are that pissed go find the guy outside the gates when it's all over and discuss it however it needs to be done.

Thoughts and prayers to the Ward family and those near to them as well as Tony Stewart and his sphere. I also hold heavy and positive thoughts for our sport that this main stream attention we really would rather not have allows racing to move forward in positive ways.

God Bless,

RR

One word...."INTENT"

That's going to be difficult for any one of us to determine....We weren't in the seat....

Now, my take...

Did Stewart try to run him over(like was being reported in the first few reports I read....approx. 5-10 minutes after it happened)....NO

Did Stewart try to throw some dirt on him as he passed.....Perhaps, but that will be tough to prove...

Do Sprint cars turn hard when gassed......YES....Stagger!

Should Ward have been there....NO....but how many times do see NA$CAR drivers do the same thing, even Stewart himself......Then it gets sensationalized by the media.....Just look at all the play that Bowman Gray's Madhouse crap got on regular TV.....It's a trickle down effect to local racers.

Will Stewart be criminally charged....Doubtful-----INTENT

Will a civil case be brought by Wards family....probably so

Will the judge ever hear the case.....NO....settled out of court for an undisclosed amount

AMRacer89 - I believe you have posted the most significant post: The 45 too almost hit him. The difference is that the 13 was not upset with him otherwise the outcome would have been horribly similar.

Folks, I truly hope the 'prayer hotline' is being blown up over this. As has been pointed out - the media is doing what it does best: sensationalize a story.

Gods speed to all involved - on and off the track.

While I believe that Tony Stewart will not face charges I do believe that some level of action will be taken on behalf of the Ward family. Even though Tony has already likely set up a foundation for this young man and made considerable donations. Because that's who he is.

I also believe that Tony made the right decision to NOT race the Cup race at Watkins Glen.

Dark corner. Dark track. Dark car. Dark driver's suit. And not thinking that the driver would get out of his car…a very unfortunate recipe...

One racer's opinion...

Stewart is in trouble...whether intentional or not...he just cannot reach inside his brain and remove this incident from his memory...it will stick with him forever and ever...I just hope that no matter what comes from this in the future...Tony can figure out some way to deal with it and not let it consume him. Rest in peace Ward. Live in peace Tony.

Truly tragic and I am sure will forever change Tony. I am quite distraught over the ignorance that is being shown all across the racing community.

Ever felt what happens when you lift the throttle in an alky fueled 16:1 compression ratio winged sprint car suddenly? It turns left - and hard as if stomping on the parking brake. And if you hit the throttle suddenly? It turns right. Thats why at speed they feather into and out of the corner - unlike a non winged who can lift faster (and in many cases overbrake).

Yes Tony's car fishtailed - EXACTLY what I would expect if suddenly from the shadows of the blue car a man appeared and Tony suddenly lifted - back slides to the right - and then reactively gasses it to keep it from stalling - suddely bites and turns right - all in a half second of pure mechanical reaction - no time for emotion or intent available! But apparently some folks believe that the kids temper tantrum made him the center of the universe during a time when the other drivers had a lot on THEIR minds... and Tony should have been paying attention to HIM and not the task at hand - which was the whole point of the tantrum right?

We dont always survive the unforeseen consequences of our decisions. THAT does not make it any one's fault.

I've said it many times over the years. STAY IN YOUR CAR. IF YOU MUST EXIT FOR YOUR SAFETY PROCEED DIRECTLY TO AND OVER THE CLOSEST CRASH WALL AND AVOID THE TRAFFIC LINE.

i have had a few people ask me what i thought .customers who know we race or find out we do most have never been to a race .. all they see is a car hit a young man and most admit they thought it was all on tony .so he was judged to be at fault for not stopping before the hit ..till i explain the car ..the track .the lights .the suit ..and every other possible things that can go wrong ... i have almost hit our fire crew at cc under yellow and the lights are better than most dirt tracks ..so many things going on behind the wheel .i have to admit its my time to rethink the race so far and really not paying attention to much else thats going on under yellow your going slow and know where the fire crew is most of the time ...it is easy to be distracted ...and most of us would not dream some one would be standing in front of us pointing a finger ...the years i drove full time and all the wrecks or so i have been in or caused i have never had a driver do what this young man did .only after we were in the pits did any thing get said ....

Archived