What was the best race you ever saw?

elliottfan

Labor Day weekend, 1979, HiWay 16 Raceway

Freddy caught Slick Yeomans in Turn 3 on the last lap and went inside. Engine started blowing up, and with smoke/steam streaming out, crossed the finish line ahead of Slick with fire starting to come out from underneath. By the time they wound up in Turn 1, it was pretty much a fireball. Coasted around and stopped at the start/finish line and before even taking the flag, jumped out and started looking underneath.

Billy

The race FryarFan posted is by far the best asphalt race I've seen. On dirt there have been at least 5 or 6 features just this season at South Texas Speedway.Schacht passing three cars on the outside on the last lap to win in limited mod ,three wide finish with the 8 ,84 and 21 in pure stocks,the 48 and 1 in LLM and pretty much all the limited mod features this season.Also ASCS races at TRP have been quite memorable.

Labor Day weekend, 1979, HiWay 16 Raceway

Freddy caught Slick Yeomans in Turn 3 on the last lap and went inside. Engine started blowing up, and with smoke/steam streaming out, crossed the finish line ahead of Slick with fire starting to come out from underneath. By the time they wound up in Turn 1, it was pretty much a fireball. Coasted around and stopped at the start/finish line and before even taking the flag, jumped out and started looking underneath.

Billy

I was there for that one too, Billy. That was indeed one for the ages.

Lots of stories swirled around the various racing garages after that. In those days, folks would stop by each other's race shops instead of spreading conspiracy theories here and on FB.

The widely accepted rumor was that Freddy had a nitros bottle somewhere and needed it to get by Slick and the engine couldn't handle the extra HP and popped just before the finish line. Of course, a few of the regulars were just a tad jealous of Freddy in those days and stories like that might have helped soothe wounded pride... LOL

Nick

I.R.O.C. , remember when top drivers from different genres would race in same cars. Riverside International Speedway, Perris Valley, Ca. 1978. Richard Petty wrecked and I carried his windshield (Glass back then) home 2 miles on my bike. My mom made me throw it away...

There have been several over my years of racing....

One of the more recent was the 2003 Miller Modified Nationals at Rio Grande Speedway in McAllen.....Howard Willis and Jason Hughes ran side by side for the lead for nearly 35 laps of the 50-lap feature until lapped traffic forced Willis three wide and gave Hughes the edge to take the checkers....

Of the most exciting was the May 2011 ASCS race at Texana Raceway Park....Travis Rilat and Jason Johnson were battling for the lead and ran up on lapped traffic coming to the checkers going four-wide.....Both Rilat and Johnson got up on two wheels with Rilat, who bicycled towards the infield, eking out the win by about three feet over Johnson, who was climbing the tail tank of Gary Watson.....

I.R.O.C. , remember when top drivers from different genres would race in same cars. Riverside International Speedway, Perris Valley, Ca. 1978. Richard Petty wrecked and I carried his windshield (Glass back then) home 2 miles on my bike. My mom made me throw it away...

what that windshield would be worth today ...

1976 Bicentennial 200 Race at CC Speedway, July 4th weekend

James "The Bear" Mikleuncek laps the field in his Camaro. In the day when racin' was racin'!

yep, it his daddy.

Mel

Hey Mike, who finished 2nd?

YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE SECRET 67 OR 68 CAMARO JAMES BUILT .LIVED NOT TO FAR FROM HIM AND RUMOR WAS HE DID NOT LET ANYONE NEAR THAT CAR WHILE HE BUILT IT .NOT EVEN HIS WIFE ....REMEMBER HE ROLLED THAT CAR BEFORE THAT RACE AND RAN IT WITH A BEAT UP BODY...MADE EVERY ONE LOOK LIKE ROOKIES .....

2005 octoberfast where osborne came from the back with no hands to win his first time back in the car after his accident best race by far i have ever seen

I agree with that, that was very impressive. The thing about that race is Steve arrived late to the track and the car was literally unloaded and went strait on the track. The crew had no time what so ever to adjust anything. That was Steve's night for sure...

1. Pan American (San Antonio) July 4th Firecracker 200 in 1975. Don Oatman won. The real story tho was Waldo Harper. He blows a RF early, races into the infield where they get him a new tire on, incidentally falling 4 (!) laps behind. Then proceeds to drive like a man possessed for the rest of the race. He made up all 4 laps by passing the field, at the end he got within about 100 feet of the leader, before falling back. Think he finished like 4th. At the end the entire grandstand was cheering for Waldo even tho Donald was getting the trophy!

2. Pan America, last race of the 75 season. John Foster, visiting from Odessa, has to start at the back in the feature. Passes the entire field for the win! Dont even think he touched another car on the way!

3. Hi-Way 16, Opening night in late 76 was it? All the big dogs were there. Larry Schild, Freddy Fryar, Terry Labonte, Glenn Schwabe. Well John Foster wins both 35-lap features going away. We were all like, where did he come from?

4. Any of a dozen races at Paramount Austin in 75 season. When Leroy Brooks and Glenn Schwabe would race side by side for the lead for 35 laps. Don't think they ever touched. Great racing!

5. Texas World Speedway, fall of 73 at the Twin 150s, the stock car portion. At the end there were four cars battling for the lead back and forth lap after lap. Bowsher, AJ, Darnell and Butch Hartman. Can't even remember who won

Archived