An Important Message to all San Antonio Speedway Supporters

debwill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You only have to drive that track once and your hooked .

heck i was hooked line and sinker the first time i went to sa way back ..i have worked with a few tps teams over the years and never took a lap on the track .we won a tps race in 05 or 06 . ..we want another one ...this time i should be behind the wheel and hope like hell i dont have to give up the seat from older than then age .. you know where you mind says its scared ..lol.. but i have a back up driver ready ..starting to get that tingle...plus my son will be back in the green 8..

Here are the actual car counts from all three events held so far since the reopening of San Antonio Speedway last year:

Octoberfast (October 18-20, 2012) - 123

Fiesta on Asphalt (April 19-20, 2013) - 78

Speed-O-Rama (July 12-13, 2013) - 66

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Here are the actual car counts from all three events held so far since the reopening of San Antonio Speedway last year:

I think the numbers maybe a little misleading in this case.

First, keep in mind cars came in from across the state and even in some cases the country to race in October 2012, it was a huge deal. Now the car counts are indeed down in 2013 but what percentage of the cars from the first race where from within 150 miles of the track versus the last two? I am currently working with 3 people to build vehicles for SAS, one thats never raced circle track at all and one that's only ever been on dirt. 1 fresh car and two that haven't been on track in years. These are cars being built to SAS rules with SAS motors and suspensions specifically to run the 1/2 mile track.

Secondarily, I-37 started somewhere between 15 and 20 pure-stocks every-night but they didn't cancel their season until early this year and it takes time and money to convert a car to asphalt (I could say BACK to asphalt as many I-37 Pure-Stocks where old SAS cars to begin with). Those cars will start to trickle in as September and October roll-around and guys get done with things...hell the guy that we're helping that has only ever run dirt was a Pure-Stock racer at I-37.

Third; HMP, CTS and to some degree CCS all share gears and GENERAL setups with each-other but SAS requires it's own gears and for the higher class cars springs and the like, all this stuff takes time.

Are classed exactly the same for all 3 races?

Think they were different for Octoberfast, still a issue, but the 123 included Legacy's i think...

Lighting, sound systems, timing & scoring, infrastructure so it dosen't flood when it rains, electricity, insurance, new buildings, safety equipment, track resurfacing, personnel, scoreboards, and on and on.. Deep pockets and corporate sponsors = long term racing... Vision and marketing skills to attract corporate money will make a seaon and good shows from the drivers help in that vision to the corporate money effort. Its a complicated racing world..best of luck.

I THINK IF IT WASNT FOR THE RAIN OUT WE WOULD HAVE HAD 75 OR SO AT THE SPEED-O-RAMA.BUT YES IT HAS DECLINE.

The Legacy cars declined to race at SAS this season over not being able to agree on flywheels and camshafts, SAS has turned no series or cars away, in fact we have invited the legacies, the dwarf cars to race on the front straight away, and the Street Stock Shootout to have a points race, and many more. So far the only group that has embraced the challenge seems to be the TPS.

I think the numbers maybe a little misleading in this case.

James, going from my Octoberfast story there were 15 Legacy's and maybe 4-5 out-of-state cars...The math still works out to over 100 cars.....So I'd say that's a 20% drop for Fiesta and 40% for Speed-o-rama.....Pretty staggering numbers if you're running a track, no matter which track it is.....

Just a stab in the dark. What are the odds of getting a MAJOR racing publication to do a story on the come back of the track; they did one for the closing so why not the reopening?

Reb,

Do you have emails for your outlets that may be interested in the story? I'm sure the photographers wouldn't mind sending some to help out. I only have practice pictures but I'll do what I can with what I have.

I think the numbers maybe a little misleading in this case....

Explain again how the numbers are misleading???

I didn't intend to imply that the numbers where intentionally misleading rather that they may lea to a more dreary picture then need be.

The point was simply that as bad as the numbers have been it may not be representative of the actual support for the track. It takes time to setup cars for a track twice as big as any other in the state, it takes time to build a car for anywhere and it will take some time for the car counts at SAS to be where they should. The vast majority of the HMP drivers don't travel this far west; that leaves cars that have been sitting 5-years, cars from CTS and CCS. I suspect the September race will be a move in the right direction and that Octoberfast, which occurs after most tracks points seasons are over, is going to be a big step in the right direction.

whats the brake down by class

If you're talking from Octoberfast...

Late Model-18 (2DNS)

Mods-21 (1DNS)

Truck-23 (1DNS)

Street-22 (1DNS)

Charger- 14 (2DNS)

Grand Stock-12

Legacy-15 (2DNS)

The vast majority of the HMP drivers don't travel

I'll reiterate.....WHY????

Do you have emails for your outlets that may be interested in the story?

Yep....they get all my stories....Have no idea who actually uses them....

whats the brake down by class

If you're talking from Octoberfast...

Late Model-18 (2DNS)

Mods-21 (1DNS)

Truck-23 (1DNS)

Street-22 (1DNS)

Charger- 14 (2DNS)

Grand Stock-12

Legacy-15 (2DNS)

The vast majority of the HMP drivers don't travel

I'll reiterate.....WHY????

Do you have emails for your outlets that may be interested in the story?

Yep....they get all my stories....Have no idea who actually uses them....

I ment all three sorry

FSAEracer,

If all of this was the case the car counts would be getting better not worse. People have had more time to prepare for this last race than they did at October. Yes i know it was a rescheduled race, but not enough showed up on the original race date.The writing on the wall can be changed and hopefully it does.

everybody also has to think about something...this last race was a rain out race...summer is here....people are taking vacations with family before school strarts again and probably taking them in the time that there was no races scheduled for sas...yes the track took a beating from the cars and fans not being there this last race......so now everything should be back on the right track with car count and fans

Archived