An Important Message to all San Antonio Speedway Supporters

debwill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, debbie@sa-speedway.com, 210-685-0400 (cell)

Shown below is an important message from Brian Bohlen, Managing Partner, Unique Track Solutions, San Antonio Speedway

post-29-1374591051.jpg

To All San Antonio Speedway Supporters - Present and Future,

First of all, we would like to thank all the racers, race teams, and race fans who have supported San Antonio Speedway (SAS) so far during the 2013 season. We certainly appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events.

Unfortunately, the overall attendance, both in the pits and grandstands, has been on a steady decline. Car counts have dwindled for various reasons, including the unfortunate rain out in June. In order for SAS to continue operation, the trend must be reversed, and the track cannot be put into a financial burden.

Our goal for the 2013 season was to run a limited schedule, with only four special events. We had hoped to decrease the financial burden on race teams and spectators, while keeping the overall attendance high for each event.

For those who may not know, San Antonio Speedway is in a unique situation. After being closed for more than five years, the infrastructure at the track had been destroyed. Because of this, we must operate the track as a portable, or temporary, venue. This "temporary" nature makes the cost of producing an event very high. The only way to make the track financially viable is to have a high car count in each class that, in turn, attracts spectators and sponsors.

Before our next event on September 6 and 7, we will be implementing some changes that we will announce over the coming weeks - including the addition of mobile ATM machines, lower concession prices (especially on drinks), parking shuttles for spectators, and other improvements.

In addition, we must figure out ways in which to make San Antonio Speedway financially viable for the future. One change we will implement is an adjustment of the purse for each class based on the car counts. If 15 or more cars participate in a class at an event, the purse will stay the same as published on our website. But, if 14 or less cars participate in a class, that class purse will be adjusted to reflect the number of cars participating. We will publish the adjusted purse structure as soon as possible. It is our sincere hope that a minimum of 15 cars will show up in each class and we can continue to pay the purse already in place.

In closing, the success of San Antonio Speedway truly depends on the support of the race teams and its race fans. We are far from perfect, much like the track itself, but we will do our best to continue what we've started at San Antonio Speedway. To do that, we need your help and support. I strongly suggest anyone who has an interest in participating in a race, or attending a race, at San Antonio Speedway makes it a top priority to be a part of the next two events planned in September and October. Without an increase in car counts and attendance, the next one may be the last one......

Sincerely,

Brian Bohlen

Managing Partner

Unique Track Solutions

San Antonio Speedway

---

San Antonio Speedway is a 1/2-mile, high-banked asphalt oval track that's located at 14901 State Highway 16 South, San Antonio, TX 78264. Information on San Antonio Speedway may be found on the track website at www.sa-speedway.com or on its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sanantonio.speedway.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

come on people ....we all bitched and complained about this track when it closed....now that it has opened back up for 4 races a year not everybody that said that they would be there to race are not racing.....bring the cars, trucks and mods out and race or you might never get the chance again...

You could see this coming.And you can't blame Mr. Bohlin. This man and his group did the almost impossible getting SAS race worthy . He and his group have risked a lot to provide racing at SAS. The handwriting is on the wall for Texas asphalt racers. I have watched racing in Texas for 50+ years and I can't remember so much hard work and effort from promoters to boost attendance and car counts at their tracks than CCS , CTS and STS have this season.And to date they have not been rewarded for their efforts.And I can't figure it out either.Increased purses ,better facilities and continually trying to improve by listening to racer suggestions still hasn't worked.This weekend CTS has bet a lot on getting Super Stocks and Sportsmods to their track.They are anticipating a lot of sportsmods, 20 +.Nice giveaways and purses for the Supers.If the cars don't come on the 27th I don't think there is anything else they can do.Same goes for CCS on Aug. 10. If the support doesn't come NOW the only asphalt track in Texas will be HMP next season.

We will be at both remaining races ..We showed up for the rain out and this last heat burner ...the last race had to be moved and landed on other tracks race nights .that did not help the car count ..hopefully the next race will pack em in ...we look to bring four cars the 6th and 7 th .i know of another team will be bringing another bomber and if i keep talking they will bring two ......as for the purse it is not what brings us to sas .the track the people yep the food .its just fun.

Thanks Mickey......Now here is the only street stock that has supported CTS at every race this season, Surely someone here has a chunk he can borrow to help support another track that they wont be using on the September 6 & 7 weekend. Anything between a 5.13 and a 5.43 should work.

I've tried to curb my thoughts about this since the last time I raised hell about pavement racing I promptly got my head handed to me......Remember the big $5,000 to win Late Model show in Corpus?.....How many cars showed.....15....some of them were sitting in fields only weeks prior to the event, but TRUE racers got them put together in time to support Owen's show....Others sat back and made excuses why NOT to race....At that time I said that Late Models had shot themselves in the foot.....Terry Dickerson tried to revive the Late Models, Trucks and Modifieds with decent purses......Yet again guys found reasons NOT to race....I said at that time don't be surprised at what happens.....Soon enough Late Models in Texas were a thing of the past and San Antonio Speedway locked the gates.....

Well here we are again, back at the breaking point....And all this after listening to the masses pleading, begging for SAS to reopen.....Now I realize that most of those ARE showing up to support the track and others have simply given up racing/sold cars....

BUT.....there's still groups of racers, with the funds, who refuse to venture outside their comfort zone.....WHY???

GRANTED.....this is an expensive hobby.....Having been a racer/part of a race team I get this, but only to a point....Is your car worth more on a track with the possibility of winning and/or making a few bucks......OR as yard art?......If you can't afford to race it, understood, so why not put it on the market for someone else that has the funds to put it on the track?

POINTS? REALLY?.....By the time the next two races roll around your points will either be over or will only have 2-3 guys that have legitimate shots of winning a points title.....What about the other 15-20 cars in the classes?

Schedule....These races have been spaced far enough apart to repair/rebuild most cars and as to not conflict with the other pavement tracks as much as possible....

NOW....before y'all going tearing my head off again.....Remember one thing, I had it right before.....and this is one thing I truly HATE being right about....a racetrack closing....

Personaly, if the late models class would allow the open motor rule and not only crates, more would show.

Perhaps Jason....but that's not necessarily a given....What did HMP run?.....If my memory serves it was a Pro Late Model, not Super Late Model and they had a good share of the available cars...

And this only pertains to one class....

FWIW....Everyone said that IMCA guys would NEVER go over to Crate Motors when they started them as an option.....Yet the top five cars at the recent Harris Clash all had crates....

I've tried to curb my thoughts about this since the last time I raised hell about pavement racing I promptly got my head handed to me......Remember the big $5,000 to win Late Model show in Corpus?.....How many cars showed.....15....some of them were sitting in fields only weeks prior to the event, but TRUE racers got them put together in time to support Owen's show....Others sat back and made excuses why NOT to race....At that time I said that Late Models had shot themselves in the foot.....Terry Dickerson tried to revive the Late Models, Trucks and Modifieds with decent purses......Yet again guys found reasons NOT to race....I said at that time don't be surprised at what happens.....Soon enough Late Models in Texas were a thing of the past and San Antonio Speedway locked the gates.....

Well here we are again, back at the breaking point....And all this after listening to the masses pleading, begging for SAS to reopen.....Now I realize that most of those ARE showing up to support the track and others have simply given up racing/sold cars....

BUT.....there's still groups of racers, with the funds, who refuse to venture outside their comfort zone.....WHY???

GRANTED.....this is an expensive hobby.....Having been a racer/part of a race team I get this, but only to a point....Is your car worth more on a track with the possibility of winning and/or making a few bucks......OR as yard art?......If you can't afford to race it, understood, so why not put it on the market for someone else that has the funds to put it on the track?

POINTS? REALLY?.....By the time the next two races roll around your points will either be over or will only have 2-3 guys that have legitimate shots of winning a points title.....What about the other 15-20 cars in the classes?

Schedule....These races have been spaced far enough apart to repair/rebuild most cars and as to not conflict with the other pavement tracks as much as possible....

NOW....before y'all going tearing my head off again.....Remember one thing, I had it right before.....and this is one thing I truly HATE being right about....a racetrack closing....

Very well said Reb. I don't understand all these keyboard racers. If all the guys showed up that said they would "IF" the track reopened, this wouldn't be an issue.Well it's open, bring your cars!

Archived