SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RACE?

Chris Saathoff and I have been scratching our heads trying to figure out why some drivers will drive SAS and not CTS and others will race CTS but not SAS. So, the burning question is why? We think the purses are pretty darn good, the condition of the tracks is good, the food is good, the prices are good, we have the same safety, tech and race rules, Chris is good looking and I'm smart or is it the other way around?...lol...anyway...we are personally asking for your thoughts and opinions so that we can have better car counts at both tracks and keep short track racing thriving in Central Texas. Chris and I will be monitoring your comments and answering in between our other full time jobs.

PS-no candy coating or fence sitting allowed. Just say what y'all got on your minds. Thank you.

Jim and Chris

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a fan stand point I think it is the history of SAS. It is the "big" track of short track Texas. SAS will always have that special mystic about it.The size of it , the sights and sounds are not matched . Proof of this was the exciting build up to the re-opening.Then the turn out that great day with fans having to be turned away. There is really nothing you can do.San Antonio Speedway is just that special place for both racers and fans.CTS is doing a great job.The purses are great and the track listens as evidenced in the past and with this question.I may be talking out of place here since I haven't gone to CTS or THS in some time.But may I suggest going back to the old heat races features format.Personally I don't like the features only format.Do a redraw like the dirt tracks do.I applaude the efforts that CTS and CCS for that matter to build up asphalt racing in Texas.Having people in place like CTS and CCS (Arredondo and Beddoe)is a good start.Best of luck to you.I hope your hard work pays off soon.

jim just give it time.you have to remember a lot of drivers were not keen on mary ann stepping down .a ton of loyal drivers ..you guys came out with some not so liked ideals at first . i did not like em . so at the time every one made their decisions where they were going to run based on info on charges for parking and other factors ..you asking why is a step in the right direction . that means a lot when you care enough to ask .give the drivers time ,keep proving yeah have ears that are wide open and am willing to change and do what it takes ..some might say never .but never can be short lived ,,good luck you never know we may just come on up and race ..right now cts is not in our budget ...some folks may say i am full of it . maybe so and i dont care . but i do think yeah can make it happen .ok nick go ahead and edit .lol

Well at first I asked for the Thunder Stock to race out there at CTS but they didnt bring them back!! Now i think it would be way to late because most went to dirt or sold their cars. Hell Hunter and Adam are the only two cars from there that race at SAS besides the one race that Aaron ran. And from what I heard hes done with racing or going to dirt too or even parting his car out. Thats a inside Joke with Aaron!! :lol:

On going battle guys. Having worked and raced at CTS prior I can tell you our counts were falling in the seasons prior. Super Stocks we went from maybe 10 car average to 6-7 car average in '12. Truly believe we have bottomed out and headed back up the line all the way around. One thing is for sure.. A big late model race would be awesome, those have been coming nicely all season.

Hope to see many racers out for the Freedom 250. As mentioned there in the thread there are lots of reasons to come race with us.

Agree with Hitech

It will take some time for the click loyalist to ditch the chip on the shoulder but I really believe they (or some) will come around. Just keep on doing what your doing.

Agree with Arob, SAS has a mystique and a desirable factor that THR/CTS doesn't. When it shutdown, everyone wanted it back. SAS will get several cars from all over the state and even out of state at times when they hosted races, I've only seen that kind of response at THR once and it took a very large purse. I think one problem with CTS is the track itself, not how it's run. I know the THR days, it was uncomfortable to sit in the stands the way they were originally built, I believe that problem was addressed. They had to change rules to accommodate the neighbors making the cars run mufflers, added expense to the racers and as a fan, I want to hear a race car go by but it was a necessary evil. As someone else said, the Naumann/Stewart families were beloved in the Cen Tex area and I've seen Heath running CBS now so through no fault of current management you may have lost a few racers following them. San Antonio had what 5 races scheduled this season I believe and one being Octoberfast that EVERYONE looks forward to. Other than the size and speed at SAS, THR/CTS lacks a second groove of racing in my past experience, even adding some space coming out of two. In SAS, there's room to race and it's not follow the leader. I don't think CTS is doing anything wrong but other than HMP and the limited schedule SAS is running, asphalt car counts are down. CCS, again through no part of owner/management, is struggling to get a car count. The night I was there I think they ran 5 classes, and had a total of 45 cars, almost 15 of those being a touring series. I've heard drivers site cost as a factor, mainly tires. One thing I've always wondered about and had conversations with my father and others was a cost issue. One prevalent thought was, on dirt you can hit something and keep going generally speaking, on asphalt if you hit something you're likely to be done for the night. I just think a lot of the drivers may have found that advantage on dirt and don't want to risk tearing stuff up on asphalt and with overall economy sliding and rising costs in everything, anywhere people can save money, they will. It's obvious you guys care and you asking for input proves that and you're right, the only way you'll find out why cars aren't showing up is to ask the drivers themselves and get their feedback so hopefully you guys can get them back and continue to grow.

I have to agree with Rodney. I think the car count is on the upswing. May be slow but headed in the right direction. Many moved on because of loyalty to the previous owner. My wife will not come out and watch me race and had been my biggest fan. Racing for me is (nothing personal to others) just what I love to do. Cost of racing hurts almost everyone. I choose where to race because it is the most affordable for me. My car fits the rules and I am 15 miles from the track. I want to also race @ SAS but that will be later in the season...money permitting.

As a fan I've never been to CTS hopefully that will change here soon however I like the fact that cts & sas are working together on rules now with that said as a thought to get more cars to show maybe try running a combined point system and have and overall point champ between the two tracks which would give other driver more reason to compete at both tracks the same with ccs come together I don't see any reason y all three cloudnt work to gether on building these classes back to where they once were. Jmo

It's really a simple answer. Banking is the reason. Same reason why Moblie is so famous. You can race at five flags, Lanier speedway, Montgomery speedway, Opp Alabama speedway, Birmingham International Raceway none of these tracks are high bank you get the picture. All of those tracks are famous but not as famous as the high bank tracks. The high bank tracks are by far the best racing. I love Altus, SAS an Mobile the racing is just that much better maybe cause you can run 2 wide. Rockford speedway little old 1/4mile high bank 2 groves very fast man those were some fun times.

It is a great question that has me puzzled too. What puzzles me the most is the street stocks. There were something like 20 cars registered for the last SAS race, and it seems to be tough to get 10 at CTS. It seems strange that someone would build a car just to race 4 races when they have an opportunity to race 12 or so. I think once a few more give it a try, the car count will increase. Both tracks are fun in their own way. I'm sure some folks don't have the gears to run CTS yet. Hopefully they are working on that.

I say keep up the good work and give it a little time. The purses are attractice, and the racing shows have been well run. One suggestion I saw that might make some sense is to put heat races back in the program. If you do that however, just make sure that the show doesn't get too long. Getting out of there at a reasonable hour is a big plus. Also, make sure to use the format where the heat race finishing position determines your starting position. Running heats just to run laps is not cool.

Also, make sure to use the format where the heat race finishing position determines your starting position. Running heats just to run laps is not cool.

If that is the case than they should also lower the laps. No sense in having 30 40 or 50 laps of single file racing with the fastest car that day run away with the race. It may be great for the driver but the fans will be bored to tears.

I WANTED TO SAY ONE MORE THING!!! I WOULD BRING BACK THE WINNERS CIRCLE ON THE START FINISH LINE YOUR FANS ARE A BIG SUPPORT OF YOUR TRACK AND THEY HAVE THIER CHOOSE OF DRIVER THEY CHEER ON AND WHEN THEY WIN THEY WANT TO CELEBRATE WITH THEM. SOME RACERS LIKE TO CLIMB THE FENCE LIKE HUNTER AND SOME DO BURNOUTS AND SOME CLIMB ON TOP OF THEIR CARS OR WHAT EVER!! ITS NEAT TO SEE THE GLARE IN THEIR EYES THAT THEY WON A RACE WEITHER IT WAS THIER FIRST ONE OR THEIR LAST. IT TAKES A FEW MINUTES AND ITS GOODTIME FOR THEM TO THANK THEIR SPONSORS AND THEIR FANS!! WHEN YOU GUYS DO THE DEAL ON STAGE MOST DONT GO TO SEE THAT LET THE FANS BE APART OF THE SHOW ALITTLE BIT!!JMO <_<

I agree with Hitech, counts were already low, several cars were already ran off. When THR was gone car counts were already horrible and there was a period when noone knew for sure if it was gonna reopen, even though they were told it was, most were just saying I'll believe it when I see it. Then the friday thing came out and alot just said I cant race fridays and either went to dirt or set them in the garage. After a few races are done, alot just say I'll see how this goes this year,and if it goes well, maybe I'll try again next year I think CTS has done a great job listening and I would expect car counts to go up next year.

The minis are a different story tho...I think that could be one of the most important classes but I'm not sure it will survive the few people running in it now.I'm trying to sell our mini but not one person that has asked about it has intended on running at CTS

Some run SAS over CTS because it's a faster bigger high banked track, and some dont run SAS because its a bigger faster high banked track. For me, Obama economics has caught up to me in the form of Obamacare, and is in the process of destoying our business,(Walker Surgical Services,LLC) so money we had the last few years, is not there anymore. I had to take a job 250 miles away with long hours to get the bank account back up, and have had to make the decision to just race a few selected races. Hopefully next year we can figure out how to get the goverment to approve some cases and then actually pay us for them instead of stiffing us and leaving us with all the expenses.I really hate letters that say I know we told you to do that surgery but were not paying you for it afterall...feel free to bill the patient tho. SUCKER!..love Obama ....Think I just made that NSA list..Naw I was probably already on it.

What hurt too was transponder required was another

added expense. Yes safety is important but the HANS

added more. One question which class is the top series

for NASCAR? If it is the late models then that may be why

the mod count is low. Yes the track has to make money

but the lower classes need a purse too and more than

three places even if it is just pit pass money.

We do need to get the mini stock car count up somehow, I know they are out there. I know we were a bit thrown off in the confusion at the beginning of the year wondering if there was going to be a mini stock class. We were gonna do Mini Stocks at the end of last year, but with the news there wasn't gonna be a class we started looking for a Grand Stock, then it changed back to Mini Stock and we got the car done at the very last minute. I'd like to be running at the end of one these races if we can get this engine issue figured out haha.

OK this all sounds great but there is an open door waiting for everyone at CTS. We can't change the past, reduce safety costs (which is up to the drivers and teams) or fix the economy but we sure would love to see folks out at the track. Thing to remember... the teams are the entertainment and the fans want to come out and have a good time. Jim Hubbard has taken on the job (not sure why..LOL) and gotten in front of everyone asking you to come out. Dropped Friday night racing and lowered expenses to get in. Simple question at the top of the thread.. drivers come on out and it will be my pleasure to call your name and sponsors and entertain your family and friends.

Grass roots Boys & Girls.. let's make it happen..

RR

Problem was CTS wasn't a "set in stone" deal after they said they were going to open (so most of us were thinking). Most people were uncertain about the possibility of having a track to race at. When money is tight the last thing you do is spend money on a hobby if it may not happen. If you are going to race you look elsewhere. So far after racing there 3 nights I have learned that they are serious and listen to drivers and fans. They treat the racers good, the payout is good and they are constantly working on improving. I want the Super Stock class to grow but also would like to see all classes grow. Always have liked the minis and grand stocks. I bought a GS a week ago and planned on racing it this weekend. I sold it but it will be at CTS probably in a month. We need to support our tracks so we have a place to race. Don't be afraid to get a car together and race at CTS.

There were something like 20 cars registered for the last SAS race, and it seems to be tough to get 10 at CTS. It seems strange that someone would build a car just to race 4 races when they have an opportunity to race 12 or so. I think once a few more give it a try, the car count will increase.

I've actually talked to several people that find the 4 race deal a lot more attractive than 12. Not to mention, look at the success of the South Texas Street Stock Shootout and the TALMS; both run under 6 races.

After reading all these I think the problem this year may had been a rough start.The season got finalized pretty late and SAS was already a sure thing . So most guys set up for SAS. Then there were a lot of new changes that were not well received.Off to dirt some go.Now those guys are in a "Let's see what they do" phase.After all the changes and efforts the track made there should be nothing to complain about now.Therefore it should start growing.Next season maybe open with a "big event" race.Say late models, a modified class or two and a fender class that will commit to a larger car count . Less would be more for this event.I wouldn't do it this year because everyone is thinking about Octoberfast already.I wish you luck because I 'd hate to see all this expense and effort go to waste.

Commenting specifically on why racers are only running one track and not the others. I think many can only afford or have time for a limited schedule. Each time I race its like 500 bucks, so I run SAS because its 30 min from the house compared to 90 for CTS. I also usally sit out july and Aug because of the heat and try to race a few more at the begining and end of season. Id be curious on taking a poll on how many races, racers try to make each year. I usally go for around 6 with maybe 1 or 2 more. I'll have 4 (SAS)plus 1(CTS) and probably 1 more at the end of the year for CTS.

I did a little homework and went thru the Race results history... attached...

I will be the one that breaks the real silence... Bigger teams supported THR's car counts the last few seasons.. Maybe those are the Loyalists some have spoke of..

Have to figure out the others.. but i know these are missing for sure...

TBS Racing had 2 Thunder Stocks, 3 Supers, & 2 Sportmods....

Aramendia Motor Sports... 3or 4 Grand stocks, 2 Pro Mods, 2 TSRS, Bando as well...

Going back in history.. this was the last race we saw the high Super Car Count..

Now with basiclly TSRS Cars allow with some changes Many of these would have to upgrade...

Changes to super rules, that surely elimate even the Thunder Stocks from moving up (Since their class was killed)..

- Weight jacks allowed

- Tube rear Clips

- Disk Brake Conversion Allowed

- New F75 tires (Not this isn't on the track its on Goodyear)

- Any Body allowed as long as resembles Production Car

- Engine Rules, well theres a long list here, including Crate Motor, with no rev Limit.. and basiclly TSRS motors with weight adjustments...

Nutshell.. to many changes TOO fast... and it will take time & Money to recover.

Add in the tighting Economy & Jobs stuff.. and it's not easy for a Saturday night racer to do this anymore...

Requires alot of $ to even put a car together.. not to mention get to the track..

ASA A-Line Super Stocks

Feature Race (9/25/10)

1. 3 Clint LaFont Volente, TX

2. 16 Mason Teague Paige, TX

3. 32 Levi Krauss Schertz, TX

4. 20 Mark Mathias San Antonio, TX

5. 80 Allen Alexander San Antonio, TX

6. 11 Tracy Tschoerner Thrall, TX

7. 97X John Witzsche Corpus Christi, TX

8. 27 Tommy Gural Elgin, TX

9. 01 Terry Tschoerner Taylor, TX

10. 33 Bubba Gustafson Austin, TX

11. 18 Mickey McKim Manchaca, TX

12. 88 Bobby LaFont Volente, TX

13. 05 Brandon Leonard Austin, TX

14. 27X Douglas Lestourgeon Corpus Christi, TX

15. 98 R.L. Alexander San Antonio, TX

16. 28 Shawn Paul Lehman Manchaca, TX

17. 92 Jason Stanley San Antonio, TX

18. 50 Arden Smith Johnson City, TX

19. 68 Alvin Powell Pflugerville, TX

20. 39 Matt Goulias New Braunfels, TX

21. 42 Chris Romo Manor, TX

post-719-1372179505.jpg

That list you posted Aaron looks like the Spectacular race which always had a big car count. You mention the TBS cars, they were leaving for dirt after last year no matter what (Except your Thunder Stock & maybe Joey's). Aremendia sold all his GS's. About 9 of the season regulars on the list sold their cars (or still for sale) or changed them to dirt. Now about opening up the rules in the Super Stock class. I really didn't like it at first but if I plan on racing after this year I will adjust. Upgrade or buy an old TSRS car. So far the first 3 nights have been won twice by cars running the old Super Stock rules and the one that wasn't won by the old rules had the lead for 28 laps before the engine blew (the # 11 car). Aaron I think by the last race of the season the car counts will grow in most if not all of the classes.

Have to agree with Mickey. I think the way the rules are structured right now is working. The 11 car is still 100% legal by the old SS rules - stock upper control arms, no weight jacks, etc. It was plenty fast to get the job done.

Archived