Car Counts vs. Purse

abrungot

as far im concerned . i would run our mini for jus a trophy . not sure what changes may be coming to that class [ if any at all ] dont know ! but if it would help out thr ... so be it . that class was designed to be fun anyways for beginners , a way out of the stands and onto the track , i think the fans really want to see the faster cars anyways so let them get paid the payouts if it will help with car counts , this is jmo , but if you want to run for bucks move up in class or settle for a trophy and a pretty smile from the girls when you take the checker. see if any other minis at thr are willing to do this , WE will , thank you maryann and all your work staff for a great place to race , see ya on the 16

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still agree on splitting the groups if the track went to a weekly show again, but with the economy the way it is is no guaranty either. Have TSRS on the weekends when mods and trucks are in Houston and do the same with the other classes. The current status is difficult for any track to try and pay a purse to 11 classes and make a profit or break even. If the classes were split then maybe the purses would be able to be better. They could go back to running heats, dashes besides features and might not be a all day ordeal.

Might as well throw in my 2 cents worth. In 1960 a new 1/4 mi. asphalt track opened in Austin. They ran two classes. Modifieds and Hobby Stocks. They had common rules with other Texas tracks. The modifieds eventually evolved into a super-mod class.

The gates opened at 6:00 pm. Races started at 8:00 pm. Adult admission was a buck fifty. Kids under 12, free. The stands were so full they had to add more stands on the back stretch. They ran a trophy dash, heats in both classes, australian pursuits, consolations/hooligans/B-mains (whatever you wanna call them), and then the Features. All were full field inverts. Races were over and parking lot empty by 11:00 pm. Their purses would have been competitive even today.

Both classes ran 15 to 18 car fields every week. Drivers were respectful of each other. Nobody under 21 was allowed on the track nor in the pits. Cautions were infrequent. That was the best racing on a weekly basis I have ever witnessed.

Then, for some unfathonable reason they changed that incredibly successful formula. The track never recovered from that. Oh, it held on for several decades but eventually was plagued with dismally low car counts and small crowds all the way up until its final demise.

Might as well throw in my 2 cents worth. In 1960 a new 1/4 mi. asphalt track opened in Austin. They ran two classes. Modifieds and Hobby Stocks. They had common rules with other Texas tracks. The modifieds eventually evolved into a super-mod class.

The gates opened at 6:00 pm. Races started at 8:00 pm. Adult admission was a buck fifty. The stands were so full they had to add more stands on the back stretch. They ran a trophy dash, heats in both classes, australian pursuit, consolation and features. All were full field inverts. Races were over and parking lot empty by 11:00 pm. Their purses would have been competitive even today.

Both classes ran 15 to 18 car fields every week. Drivers were respectful of each other. Nobody under 21 was allowed on the track nor in the pits. Cautions were infrequent. That was the best racing on a weekly basis I have ever witnessed.

Then, for some unfathonable reason they changed that incredibly successful formula. The track never recovered from that. Oh, it held on for several decades but eventually was plagued with dismally low car counts and small crowds all the way up until its final demise.

GOING TO OUR LOCAL TRACK IN THE 60.S ON INTO THE 70.S .WAS THE SAME WAY ,ALOT OF CARS IN JUST TWO CLASSES ....STANDS WERE LOADED ABOULT A BUCK FIFTY TO GET IN ...FOOD WAS REAL THEN .NO FROZEN HEAT UP TYP ..FLAME COOKED BURGERS ....WASNT MANY THINGS TO DO BACK THEN .HANG OUT AT THE LOCAL BURGER JOINT ..OR DRIVE IN PICTURE SHOW ,,MISS THOSE ..OR GO TO THE RACES ..THE SOUND OF THOSE 50S AND 60.S V8.S AND 6 BANGERS STILL RING IN MY EAR ....TODAY POEPLE HAVE SO MANY THINGS THEY CAN GO DO WE ASK POEPLE TO COME OUT .....ALWAYS ANSWERS WE WANT TO GO SOMETIME BUT HAVE OTHER PLANS . MAYBE WE WILL MAKE IT THIS YEAR .....MOST NEVER DO ..I KNOW IM GUILTY OF STAYING HOME TO WATCH A NASCAR RACE . NASCAR ..THAT HURT LOCAL RACEN TOO ...... THING IS WE AS RACERS AND TRACKS ARE IN A UP HILL BATTLE AGAINST ALL OTHER ACTIVITIES ....AND EVEN IN A BATTLE AGAINST OUR SELFS . AND UNTIL WE STOP FIGHTING AND COME TOGETHER AS DRIVERS AND TRACKS AS ONE ..GET RESPECT BACK INTO RACEN .. IT WILL KEEP ON KEEPING ON TILL IT DIES ...................AND BUDMAN YOU HIT ON THE SPOT HERE .....NO ONE UNDER 21 ...TODAY THERE IS A LARGE AGE DIFFERENTS ..THAT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH SOME PROBLEMS TODAY ....

From what I can gather from the meeting the other night the racetrack has realized that giving everyone a place to race has turned into a big mess. THR has run many classes for several seasons, which to me 4 to 5 with dashes, heats and features are more than enough to keeo folks attention for 3-3.5 hours. But THR has wanted to be the driver friendly race track for any division thus thats why we run at leat 10 classes.... Seems mgmt has found that doing this has only divided the troops and make all of us think that we operate the show which is not the case.

So "trimming the fat" is the solution and I feel that is a good thing for all of us. I liked what Bud talked about here, I grew up with that on Friday and Saturday nights and from what I hear it still works at dirt tracks.

This should be interesting, the mindset hopefully changes and it gets back to being fun most of the time. There is no question how the local scene has changed over time but so has the national scene of our sport.. what we need to find again is the grassroot stuff that drew us to going to the roundy round in the first place.

From what I can gather from the meeting the other night the racetrack has realized that giving everyone a place to race has turned into a big mess. THR has run many classes for several seasons, which to me 4 to 5 with dashes, heats and features are more than enough to keeo folks attention for 3-3.5 hours. But THR has wanted to be the driver friendly race track for any division thus thats why we run at leat 10 classes.... Seems mgmt has found that doing this has only divided the troops and make all of us think that we operate the show which is not the case.

So "trimming the fat" is the solution and I feel that is a good thing for all of us. I liked what Bud talked about here, I grew up with that on Friday and Saturday nights and from what I hear it still works at dirt tracks.

This should be interesting, the mindset hopefully changes and it gets back to being fun most of the time. There is no question how the local scene has changed over time but so has the national scene of our sport.. what we need to find again is the grassroot stuff that drew us to going to the roundy round in the first place.

GRASS ROOTS ...I SEE LITTLE OF THAT NOW ...THE OLDER RACERS HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONVENCE THE YOUNGER DRIVERS WHAT RACEN WAS LIKE SHOULD BE LIKE ...I WATCH MY SON RACE AND WHEN HE HITS SOMEONE .HE WILL GO TALK TO THE DRIVER ..HE WILL LET OFF WHEN HE NEEDS TO .. SORRY FOR THAT IS WORDS HE WILL USE ....BUT AT THE SAME TIME WHEN THE OLDERS TALK TO THE YOUNGERS ...THEY JUST THROW THIER MINDSET UP ..YOU OLD AND THATS OLD WAYS OR OLDMAN GET WITH THE TIMES ...TURNING A WHEEL ON THE TRACK HAS NEVER CHANGED ..ITS BEEN DONE FROM THE START OF RACEN ...HOW YOU DO IT HAS CHANGED ...

I read all these threads and all these posts and I see the same thing over and over. Use the right words so not to offend.

Racing isnt prim and proper. Get off the horse and tell it like it is. Back in the day, respect for one another was big for everyone. Racing wasnt about getting my kid to Nascar by stepping on you little guys, it was about fun. Everyone wanted to feel the speed and competitiveness (sp?) and didnt think twice about "is this good for my image". If there was an issue between racers on the track, it was settled in the pits if not on track (which leads back to respect). Younger drivers watched and learned from older racers. The flagman was in charge!! The black flag was feared not laughed at. If a racer was in the wrong, they were punished, not had the rules change on the spot so their feelings didnt get hurt. The tech mans decision was not challenged. If he said no, that was it, none of this whining and crying about how the rule is unfair.

You guys can get on here and come up with great ideas, new solutions and can collectively discuss potential problems. But LSS isnt a racetrack, and the good intentions on this forum rarely see light of day at the racetrack. And its not just the racers, officials have the some of the same problems. In the heat of the moment they can make mistakes, as do we all.

I read the transcript of the meeting, it seems Mary Ann is a bit pissed. I have watched this lady for many, many years always show up at THR and Longhorn before that with a big smile on her face ready for racing. No matter what the situation she has greeted EVERYONE of us with a smile, trying to see the good in everything. I cant imagine how tough it is to keep smiling everyday, like she does with all that goes on. I sure as hell wouldnt. My personal opinion is that I hope she stops being so kind and puts foot to a$$. The track is in charge, not the racers. The track makes the calls, not the racers. Waaaaaaaaay to many racers now-a-days come to the track as prima-donnas. You think the track is there just for your amusement. Its your way cus you have money, or you know the people in charge or whatever the case. "They need me to come back, they wont penalize me" BULLSH**!!!! When one driver starts getting favors, it spreads like a cancer and corrupts everything. A driver needs to be a driver. All of them in the same group, none better, none worse. If drivers dont like it they can leave. But I will bet you your bottom dollar that no team, driver, owner, or crew member has EVER gone home angry because they were treated fairly. The success of the early years was just that. Everyone was equal. And when you got out of line the track dealt with you and that was final. No if ands or buts.

Today with all the hype in marketing and sponsorships, the racing has been sidelined in favor of getting the glamour factor in there. All tracks across the country are struggiling financialy. And all of them are looking for sponsorship to stay afloat. The track is trying to sell the "great racing" to the community and its the racers job to supply the great racing. WHERE IS IT??? Where is the door to door racing that stockcar racing made its name on? If any of you come on here and say that class xyz is doing great, I can show you where its failed, with the exception of the Naskarts and Dwarfs, the two classes running for pretty much a trophy. Every class THR has ran this season is having problems. Why??? Because cars are torn up constantly. Why? Because driver A drove over his head, driver B has a grudge, driver C is too slow.....blah...blah...blah. Being sentimental to your crying has got you where you are. Its time to grow up and act like racecar drivers.

Let the hate mail roll

i will add one thing to a well said statement, when you try your best to have GOOD looking cars for the fans and to go beyond the track to promote not only your car and sponsors, but the very track that you love, you can see most of the drivers that are not showing respect every week by the tore up cars that are loaded on to the trailer and the owner of that car has to put out BIG buck's to get ready for the next disrespectful driver, if these drivers had to pay for what they tear up, then maybe they would quit driving so stupid, on the other hand, that is exactly why there is a black flag and i used one several times to help control rough driving. some say racing is racing, but if you have to take out all the cars in front of you to win, then you need to be in the destruction derby, not a race won by skill. RACE CAR PARTS ARE NOT CHEAP, NOR IS THE COST OF RUNNING A TRACK !!!

I'm going to put my 2 cents in and this is JMO.I think there should be NO more than 3 or 4 classes.I think that needs to be a beginners or just a pure fun class,The next class up is for experinced drivers who want to become more serious and want to go a little faster without breaking the bank.Then I think that the top class is for pros with team owners and hired drivers or owner,drivers that can afford to run that class.The top class should be the goal for every driver to get to some will make it some won't.

Del, Cory, Joe, I think we are all on the same page here. I've told people at the track lots of times, "Any J/A can get out there and beat and bang their way around the track ......... for a while..... That doesn't take any skill." To me, the beauty and artistry of REAL racing is watching that guy with the skill and experience to come through the field setting up and cleanly executing pass after pass. THAT is what I love to watch.

budman, that is real racing, anyone can knock cars out of the way, but a real driver pick's the inside / outside and all the manuvers without trying to make contact. a little bump, tire rub, and things like that is real wheel to wheel racing and that my friend is what racing is all about, take the trophy, load the cars in the trailer and be ready for the next race. thanks, bud !!! ;)

Its been a long time since drivers have been that way. I cant see me bringing my car back just to get tore up because drivers both young and old with very little talent and car control tear me up to get another spot. Its happened at both HMP and THR. Ive tried to be supportive of both but Im not wealthy enough to keep up with the carnage. It seems that the people with the ability to get this under control wont. And the loyalist will continue to tell them how perfect everything is and nothing will be fixed. I not trying to bash any specific track, but Im not trying to be in the "in crowd". Im just voicing what many people think but are too afraid to speak up because of what reprocussions they might get. I have no such worry. Ive listened to alot of people, both officials and racers hide behind the term "rubbing is racing" to justify crappy driving. If that is what you call racing, your expectations are too low. If you are reading this and think, wow he sounds mad, I am. I spent alot of money too, just like alot of you, to do what we have been doing for more than 50 years. This stuff that goes on week in and week out is getting out of hand and seems to be no end in sight. I wish I could say what some of the answers would be, but we all know that some things arent allowed on this forum, nor will i call out any single person. The two things I will say is one, to the track management of both tracks. Its your track, not the racers. It should be your way, not the racers. Racers making decisions never works out because racers are competitive by nature and will want an edge. So its best if they dont set policy. And two, stop worrying about costs of racing. If racers want to race they will find the money. And they will always complain about costs. JMO but if a racer or team wants to spend 50K on a car to win 300 bucks, let em. They wont do it long. I mean this toward the upper classes. Trying to control spending was the reason the super late model series died.

Im still in hopes things will get better for both tracks, I would hate to see short track racing suffer another track lost in Texas.

Good luck to you all.

Cory Lovell

Del, Cory, Joe, I think we are all on the same page here. I've told people at the track lots of times, "Any J/A can get out there and beat and bang their way around the track ......... for a while..... That doesn't take any skill." To me, the beauty and artistry of REAL racing is watching that guy with the skill and experience to come through the field setting up and cleanly executing pass after pass. THAT is what I love to watch.

thats what i have been teaching joshua... not that i have to work hard at it .he has been around long enough .i dont have to say much yes i said it say much ......he does everything he can to pass with out hitting ..high low what ever ...rosie saw a three wide for a few laps not long ago ...he can say all three drivers drove very well . joshua running the outside lane ...everyone knows cc isnt a really good track to try that at ..but not impossible ..those three drivers ran hard but ran clean ...that was racen ...and they are all rookies in that class ..

It’s all about good fun racing. We all do this as a hobby every race night at our racetrack. We race because we love the excitement and challenge. ..

you are right direct-flo, but i have raced all my life and never drained my pocket book as much as the last few years, it shouldn't take 2 weeks to get a car ready for the next race. i was born and raised in this great sport and i can tell you that it is in my blood, every part of racing, from working on and building cars to driving and promoting, i have been in every aspect of circle track racing except the BIG TIME, in which i could not afford, all i can say is to get more cars to the track, then everyone has to do their part, including the man that calls the shots, if you want to see your car count grow, show all the racers that you will not tallerate rough driving, i know from experience what the flag can do. i would park my car for a chance to help with showing the difference between rough driving and good, hard racing, it ain't that hard to see !!!

p.s. the tracks don't have to pay for tore up cars, the car owner does !

Del

We all know that rubbing, bumping and pushing is all part of racing. What separates us is knowing the difference from racing and wrecking each other. A fine line exists between giving and taking a spot on a racetrack. When a new driver comes on the track we all have our eyes on them. As the race progresses, we learn each other’s nuances on the track. As drivers we always try to learn from each others driving styles and learn to adapt.

Until drivers learn how to give and take or until they have to reach deep into the wallet to repair a car…respect will never be learned—OR—earned!

Del

We all know that rubbing, bumping and pushing is all part of racing. What separates us is knowing the difference from racing and wrecking each other. A fine line exists between giving and taking a spot on a racetrack. When a new driver comes on the track we all have our eyes on them. As the race progresses, we learn each other’s nuances on the track. As drivers we always try to learn from each others driving styles and learn to adapt.

Until drivers learn how to give and take or until they have to reach deep into the wallet to repair a car…respect will never be learned—OR—earned!

MY SON WAS IN A RACE A FEW WEEKS AGO ..ONE CAR HE PASSED CLEANLY RAN UP INTO THE NEXT TURN AND HIT HIM PURTY GOOD ...HE ASKED THAT DRIVER NICELY WHY HE HAD TO HIT HIM ...THAT DRIVERS REPONSE WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS .......... MY CAR I CAN RUN FULL BLAST AROUND THE TRACK .YOU JUST HAPPEN TO BE IN THE WAY ....NOT ONLY A STUPID REMARK FROM THIS DRIVER BUT WITH I DONT GIVE A DAM ATTITUDE TO GO ALONG WITH IT ..NO REPSECT NORE CARE IF SOMEONE WAS IN FRONT OF HIM AND COULD HURT ANOTHER DRIVER OR HIM SELF ...THAT MAKES THE DRIVER WHO ASK THE QUESSTION WONDER IF HE NEEDS TO JUST TAKE THAT OTHER DRIVER OUT WHEN NEAR HIM OR KEEP TAKING THE HITS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ..GET HURT OR LOSE A CAR .SO NOW MY SON NOT ONLY DIDNT GET RESPECT FROM THIS DRIVER ..BUT WILL NOT HAVE ANY FOR HIM ...I TOLD HIM AND HE KNOWS IT ALREADY JUST BE CAREFULL ...

Archived