Car Counts vs. Purse

abrungot

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to add my pennys worth.The car counts vs purse deal could easily be overcome by giving the entry level cars , eco stocks,mini stocks,frontrunners or whatever their called at your track a big purse like what the big cars get paid.Imagine a 500 to win entry level race eligable to any driver and imagine how many cars there would be.Bar the politics and race everyone.Would a race that starts 40 cars be worth a SS purse?? Would a 50 lap race like this be worth watching???

Its already been said the little cars are the ones growing.The first promoters to add fertilizer and lots of water will see the car counts everyone wants.Another words instead of paying 1500 $ for 8 or 9 super cars,you can buy many times that with the SAME MONEY?? Its so simple to me. Our vanity still makes us think an expensive car gets the big money and little cars dont put on a show..What will it take to wake up and use whats available??? In this economy at least.

The first promoters to do this will need bigger pits.Everybody can afford a cheap car.And a good race director can direct this groop to be a really intresting show.And make profit.

Sadly your idea is good but will not last. The big money races bring big money teams. Doesnt matter that its eco stocks, hobby bombers or lawnmowers. Once the big $$$ teams get into it the price to be competitive goes up. They have more resources and usually much more experience. I can go buy a 200 dollar corolla and John Heil go buy the same 200 dollar corolla and come race day he's gonna beat me. Atleast most of the time. Not because he is cheating, just because he has talent in redesign and fabrication that give him an edge. Now for me to keep up I probably need to go buy a Heil built car for 4 times what I paid for mine. Its how racing has always been. I dont have a solution to this because saying the guys with knowledge shouldnt run isnt good for the sport. Its just the way the cycle goes.

Now if you guys dont mind, I would like to say this about costs.

IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO RUN THE CLASS, DONT. DROP DOWN TO A CLASS YOU CAN AFFORD, GET OUT, OR QUIT BITCHIN!!!!!

I am going to add my pennys worth.The car counts vs purse deal could easily be overcome by giving the entry level cars , eco stocks,mini stocks,frontrunners or whatever their called at your track a big purse like what the big cars get paid.Imagine a 500 to win entry level race eligable to any driver and imagine how many cars there would be.Bar the politics and race everyone.Would a race that starts 40 cars be worth a SS purse?? Would a 50 lap race like this be worth watching???

Its already been said the little cars are the ones growing.The first promoters to add fertilizer and lots of water will see the car counts everyone wants.Another words instead of paying 1500 $ for 8 or 9 super cars,you can buy many times that with the SAME MONEY?? Its so simple to me. Our vanity still makes us think an expensive car gets the big money and little cars dont put on a show..What will it take to wake up and use whats available??? In this economy at least.

The first promoters to do this will need bigger pits.Everybody can afford a cheap car.And a good race director can direct this groop to be a really intresting show.And make profit.

I am no expert but the goal of most tracks is to put butts in the seats and sell concessions. Aside from friends, the weekly fan does not come out to see 4 cyl eco boxes. They want to see the Super Stocks, Late Models and Modifieds. Little cars maybe a growing class but they rarely stay the course. As well, to get the fast cars, a track has to have an attractive payout. I know this thread is about payout vs purse but it would be nice to not have the track pay purses off of the back gate.

my .02

Todd Farris

I dont care what class you run it costs a lot to tow a car to the track ,buy tires,fuel tickets and food.

And true the smarter richer racers are going to win most of the time.

i loved racing the 5-6 years I did. Won a few heat races that kept me coming back week after week,year after year.

Promoters need to realize its a SHOW!! and you need spectators and what do spectators want, lots of cars to watch going around in circles! They really car less about the rules.

SIMPLE= MORE CARS MORe SPECTATORS MORE MONEY

There are more Honda fans than Chev or Ford fans in todays car craze.But its plain to see the old ideas still dominate.Hows that working out.

Its also impossible to make all racers equal no matter what type of car.Somebody will always wind the rubber band one extra time.Performance,not politics should rule.

We are now on the 5th Fast and Furious movie.What track are they running to watch in person????

These car fans are at the drag strip.

those are the classes that put on the best show. Thunders and Grands or some combination of the 2 do or would.

I have no idea folks, work on the mic side out there but thats about it. Will be curious to find out myself.

I do remember the 4 classes and one "touring" days making for some fun shows but racing has changed, part of the deal.. we shall see. All in all I am a race fan, hope it worx out.

Everything that the track has to pay for now days (payouts, elec., insurance, employees, etc.) has to be payed by what ever the track makes at its two gates for the most part. Back in the day sponsors were able to put alot $ into racing. Not anymore. Times are hard and they are getting harder. Im 60 years old and in my opinion roundy-round racing will come to a halt before I die. Hope Im wrong but I really dont think so.

P.S.

If Im going to buy gas, food and drink, and admission to watch a race it better be powered by a V-8 and make alot of noise.

Just wondering but since the fan-count its self looks like it has been good.... Would it be advantageous at all for the track to run more often but with fewer classes... In other words you have 2 groups of 5 or 6 and alternate weeks racing everyone gets to race....

Group one. Modifieds,Trucks, Thunderstocks Mini's and Bando's... Naskarts run during intermission 15 laps w/ 5 lap dash...

Group two. TSRS, Sportmods, Street stocks, Grand stocks, and rotate Allison's or Dwarfs... Naskarts run during intermission 15 laps w/ 5 lap dash...

Group one alternates with the HMP schedule so that the Mods and Trucks and race at both if they wanted. If the track were to do something like this you can shorten the time of day you have to be at the track. Open at 4 for practice 10 min per class x 2... Practice ends at 6... Time Trial the top 2 classes starting at 7. 8 Lap heats for the rest. Features start at 8ish... 50 Laps for Mods and TSRS, 30 for Trucks Sportmods and Streetstocks, 20 for the rest except for Bando's and Naskarts... The hope is with added laps and shorter day more cars would be inclined to race in a given class and feel like they are getting their money's worth... Just an idea to pass along out there... Just depends on if the track were to want to run every week this would also solve some of the complaints like (too many classes, takes to long, some feeling like they are wasting a full day starting at 11-12 ect, not wanting to be in the heat of summer all day...ect) Anyhow its just a thought. Fire away.... LOL

i loved racing the 5-6 years I did. Won a few heat races that kept me coming back week after week,year after year.

This is a key point I believe has been lost. If you run classes with a trophy dash, heat races and a feature you will have different winners in each class that have that excitement of winning which keeps them coming back. Winning heat races was bringing him back. That has been taken away. If you win a heat race you get that feeling of winning and the next step is you believe you can win a feature and you can not stop yourself from coming back. Almost like a drug but there is no rehab center for it. The reason us older folks keep coming back is we can not get any rehab. ;) When you only run features you only have one winner in each class a week or three to four during the whole year and there are not enough that get that feeling so they just go away. I believe the simple fact you only run features and do not have enough winners each night hurts car counts.

The figures are based on having that many cars to pay out that much purse, there have only been a couple of races with one

to two of the classes having a good count.

THE PURSE IS PAID OUT TO THOSE WHO SHOW ..NO MONEY PAID OUT TO THOSE WHO DONT SHOW .SO FULL PURSE AS ADVERTISED IS NOT PAID...

Racing "off the back gate" mentality has become all the rage lately for too many tracks now days.....Most of the time those same tracks are in the position they're in (not being able to cover the purse) because of this....

I'll stop here.............................................

i agree. that's called club racing. i don't have a solution , so i don't bitch......but it doesn't mean i have to agree with it.

Racing "off the back gate" mentality has become all the rage lately for too many tracks now days.....Most of the time those same tracks are in the position they're in (not being able to cover the purse) because of this....

I'll stop here.............................................

i agree. that's called club racing. i don't have a solution , so i don't bitch......but it doesn't mean i have to agree with it.

I DONT AGREE WITH CLUB RACEN EITHER.....ONE SOLUTION IS TRACK SPONSORSHIP.. PROBLEM IS CANT CHARGE ENOUGH NORE GET ENOUGH SPONSORS TO COVER THE BILLS ..ISNT GOING TO HAPPEN ......SO WHAT DOES A TRACK HAVE TO DO ...THEY CANT CHARGE THE FANS 15 DALLORS A HEAD TO COME OUT ..HECK TEN DALLORS IS ALOT IF YOU HAVE 4 OR FIVE TO PAY FOR .PLUS FOOD AND DRINKS AND THEY CANT CHARGE MUCH MORE FOR THAT EITHER .IN FACT MOST TRACKS FOOD PRICES ARE A BARGAIN COMPAIRED TO ANY WHERE ELSE ..SO THEY HAVE TO MAKE SOME OFF OF US THE CREWS AND THE RACERS .

i have been running a thunder hill all year in the grandstocks, i like the pay out it is nice to get start money for showing up and running i think the money i get is nice it helps us get in being a low budget racer my self if i can pay 10 to get in then it makes is not so straining on my pocket but we will see what happens at the meeting

Speedracer24 aka mark,

The biggest problem with your idea is that it makes too much sense. You can't use common sense when talking to racers. I feel the same way 11 am to 2am is way too long of a day. Its no secret that I had some issues at hmp a few races ago but you can't beat the purse or the schedule. They never go over 6 classes and that means your not falling asleep waiting 5 hours to run your feature.

Aaron..In the terms of purse, the upper classes are getting gutted in the scenario you posted. Id find it hard to believe that alot of guys that are not racing now would race for less. Especially in the TSRS and Mod classes which honestly is what the majority of fans come to see... Lower payouts can work on dirt because there are lower expenses to the driver. Just ask any driver that made the switch from asphalt to dirt but Im sure you already brought this up with Terry or Duane.

I honestly think now is the time to ask the people who are not racing, why, and what needs to change for them to come back. But in some cases that might be a bitter pill to swallow...

I don't agree with surviving off the back gate but the reality is that the front gate ain't doing it. We need bigger car counts in the premier divisions. We also need better racing. Everyone is hellbent on winning or making sure noone else does. Remember that you are putting on a show. There is nothing wrong with a little give and take so there can be a three wide finish. Payout the top three. Finish in the money or don't get any. I know it's nice to get $20 or $50 just for showing up but that money could be better used to raise winner's purse. A $500 to win mini stock race would get more cars than $100 to win and $20 for showing up. If a class wants to get paid through the field then they should pay entry fees. Premier classes are why the racetrack is there, they spend the most money and should get more back. People want to see roaring v8s smoking the tires. All other classes should consider that if we don't payout big for the premier classes and car count drops even more then they won't be racing either.

Charging an entey fee for the car is wrong. This is fine for a touring series Tracks can and do make it without over charging the teams and drivers. I know of three tracks that charge for the driver and also charge for the car. They have VERY low car counts. There are enough businesses in and around Austin that would support the racing if they were approached. I read an aricle, years ago, about sponsorship. One of the main points was to seek out many sponsors for smaller dollar amounts rather than a few for large amounts.

Local racing does not need to last all day. Remember, this is a hobby. Less than 1% will make a living at it. Burning fuel and tires up for needless practices does not help the local racer. Local drivers and teams are the track's backbone. Take care of them.

I am one of the driver/car owners that quit asphalt and started racing on dirt. I won't go back. Yes dirt is cheaper and the purses are lower. I have to travel farther to race but it's easier getting there at 6:30 or 7:00 and racing at 8:00. This is all supposed to be fun, not a job.

One of the reasons, other than the starting times, that dirt i, in some cases, less expensive is the rules. We are mandated to a certain head or intake or crankshaft etc. The rules allow us to chose something less expensive if we want. I have a 383 and a 355 combined cost less than most LM or MOD motors for asphalt. Combined, they are well over 1000 HP and will last as long as any other motor.

Point is it take all involved to solve this. Drivers will always want more money. Tracks will always want more cars. We have to help each other out. I don't race any USMTS races because I can't afford it. That's okay. Some people need to go to other tracks and watch. There are tracks around that are doing very well with car counts and fan base. They also have a good sponsorship program.

Wayne

p.s. I forgot to add, I do not race for free. I, as a driver should, and will get paid for putting on a part of the show.

in my opinion the modified rule change will be a good thing

we're planning on bringing the old hog chassis out next year to run THR and HMP

And what rule change do you have in mind? I tried last year to get the rules evened up a bit for the 3 motor platforms and got blasted by some of the competitors. And as a result the racing hasnt changed much which doesnt give the out of state guys a reason to come run around here.

As much as I think the gulf coast rules would level the playing field, I doubt it will be adopted w/o adding a clause to give the 602 and 604 motor a significant advantage. Since the majority of mods both east and west of texas do NOT run a crate, it would be tough to attract them. jmo

Archived