Here we go again----Danica

wheelchair49

One question??? I keep hearing about NASCAR losing their "roots" by what they are now doing but someone please tell me which racing association is still running by their "roots". They all have changed with the times and from my memories of the old days of racing, a whole lot has changed over the years but the bottom line is that racing is still exciting and carries the title as being the greatest spectator sport in the world. And I feel right now, auto sports are faring as well as other professional sports which are all on the down side mainly because of the economy. Yes its good to remember our roots, but like anything with roots it also needs to grow. I don't care for all the new changes either but then I realize the quality of racing has not degraded that much to where I would stay at home and quit going. So I accept the changes, some grudgingly, but I still love racing.

I think Danica coming onto the NASCAR scene was great for NASCAR. She did not go to Stock Cars because someone drug her there, she saw the challenge and went to them. And it all has most everyones attention regardless if the comments are pro or con, it shows that people are noticing. As for her finishes in her two Nationwide events, I think she is right about where one would expect of a two race rookie. Not the best but also not the worst either. I believe its best to take the wait and see approach to this and see how she does the rest of the season before hanging her out to dry. So as rookies go, cut her some slack. Afterall, beauty aside, she does have ability too and apparently car owners agree with that assessment. There will be much animosity about her getting a lot of the publicity but she is still "NEW" to NASCAR and that will wear off. Personally I believe she will do well in time mainly because of one thing - - - ATTITUDE!! :)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am laughing very loudly right now. So LOL doesnt really do it justice. :lol:

Racing is still exciting? Thats really funny with the exception of the short tracks. And it's the biggest spectator sport?? Did you see the stands at the Cup race Sunday? I would say maybe 75% full. I know that before the stupid changes, they were all sold out at every track. So I think that little title is dieing and they know it. They are grasping at little threads and it isnt working. They are still falling and failing.

As for Danica. I'm not saying she doesnt have talent. But she doesnt need to be in any stock car racing. She is not suited for it. And the team and sponsors arent going to pay her salary and expenses forever while she learns to keep up.

And shes too dang arragent and stubborn to take the blame for not keeping up. She was probably mad because her cup holder was 1" too far to the right and it threw her balance off in the seat. Dang crew guys. haha

Racing is still exciting? Thats really funny with the exception of the short tracks. And it's the biggest spectator sport?? Did you see the stands at the Cup race Sunday? I would say maybe 75% full. I know that before the stupid changes, they were all sold out at every track. So I think that little title is dieing and they know it. They are grasping at little threads and it isnt working. They are still falling and failing.

As for Danica. I'm not saying she doesnt have talent. But she doesnt need to be in any stock car racing. She is not suited for it. And the team and sponsors arent going to pay her salary and expenses forever while she learns to keep up.

And shes too dang arragent and stubborn to take the blame for not keeping up. She was probably mad because her cup holder was 1" too far to the right and it threw her balance off in the seat. Dang crew guys. haha

Where have you been man? The stands at all tracks are lacking. The economy is dictating that at the moment. 'Business's across the country are trying to survive and Nascar is no different. That is current news for those that dont know it, evidently you dont keep up with reality.

Danica can help change that by bringing new fans to the sport at a time that it is needed, That along with some of the changes that they have made to make things more fan friendly. Will they succeed? I honestly have no idea. But it does appear that they are trying and not out fishing with no bait :lol:

Tell you what OT, when Danica is scheduled to race at TWS, you provide the tickets and I will pay for the gas, hotel, food and beer. Deal? :P

well heck seeing you put that way ..i may take you up on that ..lol ........

How about I buy you a beer after the races at CC one night this year? I will look you up. TWS doesnt host Nascar races anymore and havent in years. I knew you were referring to TMS but was funning with you. No harm intended OT, hope to catch you one night this year at CC, you and Jesse both. You got to be a pretty decent guy to be hanging with Sandoval, he is a good dude

Tell you what OT, when Danica is scheduled to race at TWS, you provide the tickets and I will pay for the gas, hotel, food and beer. Deal? :P

well heck seeing you put that way ..i may take you up on that ..lol ........

How about I buy you a beer after the races at CC one night this year? I will look you up. TWS doesnt host Nascar races anymore and havent in years. I knew you were referring to TMS but was funning with you. No harm intended OT, hope to catch you one night this year at CC, you and Jesse both. You got to be a pretty decent guy to be hanging with Sandoval, he is a good dude

but i can still get tickets to tms ..ok i corrected it this time ..just for you ....as for the beer ill take a dr.pepper ..i dont drink.. havent in 18 years or so ..or you can have one for me ..lol .. as for decent ...thats for others to decide ...but i am a ok guy ...i think ...i try to be .i hope to be ..any other to be i cant think of .others can throw in ....lol .. looking forward to meeting youi .if we havent already ..i always look forward to meeting anyone ..even if they just want to tell me how much they dislike me ...

Where have you been man? The stands at all tracks are lacking. The economy is dictating that at the moment. 'Business's across the country are trying to survive and Nascar is no different. That is current news for those that dont know it, evidently you dont keep up with reality.

Danica can help change that by bringing new fans to the sport at a time that it is needed, That along with some of the changes that they have made to make things more fan friendly. Will they succeed? I honestly have no idea. But it does appear that they are trying and not out fishing with no bait :lol:

My comment regarding racing being exciting takes into account all the race tracks and is not just confined to NASCAR or any other venue. I would rather watch an auto race anyday than attend other sports which by the way are full of professional prima donnas. I've been around the sport since I was 11 or 12 and I can remember several times it was really down and also the times when it was at the top. And I will say that wherever it has been, it always had a group of loyal fans who hung in there and were never disappointed in the long run for sticking with it. Right now the sport is at a low and yes stands are less than full but the economy is the prime reason because it affects the owner/drivers probably more than it does the fans. And fans stop coming when the car counts are low. Yes, NASCAR has been feeling the pinch but don't forget that most of their tracks seat over 100,000 people so half full stands still could be as many as 50K.

I believe your comment about Danica bringing new fans into the sport actually is happening. Her first Nationwide race generated the largest TV audience ever for a Nationwide race. Where did all the interest come from? She has a large following and I am sure many followed her from the Indy Car ranks. She is very aware that she is on a tall learning curve before she expects to become a front runner. I have yet to hear her blame her crew for her finishes and even admits she is still not sure of herself yet. The comment you quoted was a stab at humor and more a poke at herself rather than her crew. Do you really believe there is a cupholder there? Listen to her closely, she can be really funny. Am I a Danica lover as another post had implied. No. But I do respect where she has been and where she is going. Whats wrong with that?

Here is a little background for this thread I came across on another site...................... from 13 years ago. That would have been just before she went to Europe for 2 years of racing in the junior formula ranks there.

I found this pretty interesting ........................... (Never mind. This clip on YouTube has been taken down.)

I am guilty of doing a little stirring myself but dont mind someone stirring the other way. It is just opinion and there are plenty of opinions out there. It wouldnt be any fun if everyone agreed all the time. I think that everyone has some common ground in the end, we all want what is best for the sport whether it be Nascar or the local venues.

Well lets here it. " The other driver came down on her ". I know I know. LOL Well it looked like she went in hot and he had the line.

I know I know. "She was doing a great job too until the wreck". LOL And the captain of the Titanic was doing a great job too until he hit the iceburg and the ship sank. Maybe he was going too fast as well. Either way it was still a failure in the end.

But I will give her some credit for moving up a few spots. She looked a little tenative at first.

Oh yea, Just so you can see how all the hype is getting fans to watch. I turned the channel as soon as she wrecked. That was all I was waiting for. The inevitable. Now the ratings will go back down for the next four months since she wont be there. Lets see if they talk about that.

McDowell didnt do it on purpose. His car wasnt up to speed because of an earlier wreck and he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Closing rate was probably more than Danica realized, another part of the long process in learning to race these cars. She accepts the fact that this is going to be tough and I give her credit for her effort to this point

Archived