Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Yeah you're right jakdad, by this time I would already be at Johnny's house working on the 9 car, while Billy was just getting up. We usually wouldn't see him 'till race time.Wish I could go back to those days, I still miss Johnny a lot, & Billy too. Oh well nothing stays the same, & as they say you can't go home again.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To Happier Times Jim.......

3hdk.jpg

Look at this hansome devil, coulda been a movie star, instead, he hung out at the track........

scan0001.jpg

scan0002_001.jpg

The Uncle Jimmie's Special

post-3-1205498347.jpg

scan0001_002.jpg

And the end result......way to go Jim happy 4th to you buddy........

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Post #409

I believe the pictured red & white modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car number 1 is actually from '66, and is the Schild Team built car that was new in '64 with the BBB Ford 427 engine, originally driven by M J Burton and later owned & driven by Charlie Schild. Not to be confused with another modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car that was raced in prior years, and owned by Cates Racing that was also red & white and number 1. As I recall, the Cates Modified number 1 was driven in '62 by Sonny McDaniel, and in '63 by Charlie Schild, and was involved in a couple of serious crashes, including over the turn 3 wall.

The Schild built car was among the very best built Modifieds of that era, with more than likely considerable help from Bob Steigal. Mr Stiegal (sp?) was a very talented individual.

Edited by RETrott

Race results at Meyer Speedway other than weekly local events.

October 11, 1959 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC Sprint Car (Midwest) A.J. Foyt

November 22, 1959 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC Midget Gene Force

December 6, 1959 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC/ARCA Stock Car Harold Smith

March 20, 1960 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC Sprint Car (Midwest) Don Branson

April 10, 1960 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC Midget Dale Swaim

October 23, 1960 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX USAC Sprint Car (Midwest) Parnelli Jones

May 27, 1961 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX IMCA Sprint Car Gordon Woolley

March 18, 1962 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX ARCA Stock Car Ernie Derr

March 22, 1964 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX ARCA Stock Car Ernie Derr

March 14, 1965 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX ARCA Stock Car Jack Bowsher

March 21, 1965 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX ARCA Stock Car Jack Bowsher

March 27, 1966 Houston 200 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX ARCA Stock Car Iggy Katona

June 23, 1971 Space City 300 Joseph F. Meyer Speedway, Houston, TX NASCAR Winston Cup Bobby Allison

Good info Jim. But I do believe there was a USAC Midget Car race in '62, won by Jim McElreath Sr, and an ARCA Stock Car event in '63 won by, I believe, Buddy Ward in a Chevrolet. And possibly, the '66 ARCA race had a Studebaker in the field.

Does anyone remember the Blue and White 57 Pontiac that rode on top of the turn one rail ..and then rolled down the banking backwards tail first at Meyer Speedway? It was just passed the pit gate.

I am sure it was an ARCA race on a Sunday afternoon and probably around 1960-61.

I remember the top of the post were ripping the bottom of the stocker and caved in the lower quarter panel on the old Pontiac.

Can't remember the drivers name, but he was blonde headed and wore a flat top haircut..

Can't remember the number either but it did have a Mr. Horse Power Woodpecker head on the fender.

...Boy, I must really be scratching the old brain cells now.

I'm pretty sure he was an out of towner if I recall correctly..

I thought at first it might have been HB Baily but, most of his cars were red and white or maroon and white. :huh:

Reference to post # 11

Great job Tbird. The picture appears to be looking kinda southwest. I believe the spdwy backstretch, turns, and grandstand are visible. For present day reference, note Braes Bayou north of the site. Also, notice the Shamrock Hotel (aka Shamrock Hilton) at the top of the X, and the swimming pool on the left side. That is the southwest corner of S Main @ Holcombe. For those not familiar, the Texas Medical Center is now located at the bottom of the picture. Part of it, that is. And I did ride the Mono-Rail.

I was just re-reading some old posts and saw that this post, # 6, has been edited by an editor, not by me. My post does NOT reference post # 11 on this subject. Also, post # 11 came two days later and has no connection to my post regarding Arrowhead Spdwy/Houston. So, for anyone who doesn't think I am a total idiot, maybe this update will help.

Edited by RETrott

I think it was meant that way, and as always a little overlap when reminders drop in. My computer skills are very limited, so I wonder about those old enough to have memories of Arrowhead Spdwy/Houston. As for Meyer Spdwy/Houston, like you say, a lot of information and pictures are already on this site and hopefully more to come. I'm hoping to post a couple soon myself.

Once again, after reading some old thoughts, this post, # 9 in this subject, apparently was in regard to a prior post that has been deleted or edited, and now makes absolutely no sense.

• 5 weeks later...

HELLO MIDGET 85,

NEW TO THIS, MY FATHER USED TO GO OUT TO THE TRACK WITH BILL BLUMRICK (A BUNCH).

I TOLD HIM ABOUT THIS WEB SITE AND I AM TRYING TO GET PHOTOS OF BILL,FRED,AND MY DAD ON THE SITE.

I TALKED WITH MY DAD AND HE HAS MISSED PLACED THE OLD SCRAP BOOK HE HAD PUT TOGETHER OVER THE YEARS THAT HE WAS WORKIN WITH BILL & FRED ON THE CAR #7.

I CALLED BEVERLY BLUMRICK LAST WEEK AND SHE SAID THAT SHE HAD A BUNCH OF PICTURES OF BILL AND SHE WOULD BE HAPPY TO GET THEM TO ME SO I COULD GET THEM ON THE WEB SITE.

SHE GAVE THEM TO ANDREA AFTER BILL DIED SO THE COULD USE SOME OF THE PICTURES AT HIS FUNERAL AND SHE HAS NOT GOTTEN THEM BACK YET.

BEST REGARDS ,

DANNY KERR

OH YEA MY DAD NAME IS ROLF KERR !

Yes Danny,

By all means let's find some additional photos of Meyer Speedway and I am here to assist in getting them posted if needed.

Just drop me a PM if I can help. We need the photos scanned and saved as JPEG format to get them up and running. You can email them to me if you would like or get in touch.

Thanks for stopping by and for your efforts.

-Randy

Midget 85

• 3 weeks later...

Meyer Speedway Vintage Footage 1966

Well, I'm sure most everyone has seen this vintage clip of Meyer Speedway provided by Red Ace.

At least the quality is much better than some we have seen.

This is a Labor Day Race at Meyer Speedway 1966. We can tell it is 1966 due to Charlie Ray Schild driving the famous Red and White Flying 1 Modified as it was his last season.

In 1967 Charlie would assisit Larry Schild who would drive the Bronco's in his entry level year and Charlie would be the chief mechanic, thus leaving the Modifieds.

Enjoy the link