Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Larry, I don't know what that car is either. Maybe Barb can show it to her dad and shed some light on it. I think you're right about 61 Meyer. Looks like one of the transition cars built for Meyer after they left Playland. Mr. Meyer didn't want the Playland cars running at his track. He told me that one day when I saw him at the track. He didn't think they were built well enough for the 1/2 mile banked asphalt. I couldn't and wouldn't argue the point. He knew a lot more about race cars than I did................................... :D

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RE: Post #407

I'm fairly sure I recognize 6 faces, possibly 7, in the picture that seems to involve mostly Modified racers, along with onlookers. I wonder if Gingerbread Man has any knowledge. I would gess the time frame to be from '61 - '63, Meyer Spdwy/Houston.

Edited by RETrott

• 2 weeks later...
Here's an aerial photo of Meyer Speedway in 1958. I think this was before Mr. Meyer had it repaved.

http://www.historicaerials.com/default.aspx?poi=6302

Jim,

From what I understand, the track was race ready for over a year before opening up. I first saw the track in late '56 or early '57, and the dirt work was done only, with no grandstands or guardrail. The Bicycle track is outside the turn four exit, and what I believe was a Quarter Midget track is outside the turn four entrance, as shown in '57/'58.

Yes but around 1960, Mr. Meyer repaved the track. He said the surface they had put on originally would eat the tires off of a midget in less than 10 laps. I stopped by there when the repaving was being done. I knew the track was new and didn't understand why they were doing the work. I asked Mr. Meyer about it and he explained the whole thing. If you remember where the pit gate was, That's where we had our conversations. While talking, Mr.Meyer would look out over that track In what I would describe as love, admiration, like it was his life.

Jim,

I was not aware of the repaving. I believe there was a 100 Lap USAC Midget Race in late '59, and I remember Tony Bettenhausen Sr was leading and had a RF flat. I don't recall who won. But, as far as I know, the repaving you mentioned was probably the last time it was done. One can only imagine the quality of future events if Mr Meyer had lived a few more years. I say that because apparently he wasn't concerned with profit or even breaking even, as long as it was a great show.

Larry if I remember right Gene Force won that race in November. Man those were some great days, and the track was super fast. Skippy Michaels and Gene Hartley put on a good show only to have some problems late in the race. If I recall correctly it was:

1 Gene Force

2 Dale Swaim

3 Bill Homeier

4 AJ Foyt

5 Tony Bettenhausen

In Dec of '59 they had the USAC Stock Car race there at Meyers, Harold Smith and Roger Ward battled to the last lap, with Smitty taking the win.

AJ won the USAC Sprint race at Meyers in Oct of '59 Him and Parnelli Jones put on a clinic that night That may have only been AJ's 2nd or third win in a USAC Sprinter. The next year in '60 Parnelli Jones Beat AJ at Meyers, in a Sprint Car owned by the late Harlan Fike. Johnny white took over that car later on and drove for Harlan until '64 when he flipped a sprinter he built himself and broke is neck up at Terre Haute. I ended up inheriting that Fike ride after Johnny was paralyzed for life, and drove it for a couple of seasons because Wayne Weiler gave Harlan my name. Wayne drove for Harlan for many years. Harlan Fike was one of the nicest guy's I ever drove for.

If Joe Meyers would have been around loger there would have been a Texas version of Martinsville or something on the lot in Houston. I think that track was his entire life. Not that he needed any money, he did it because he loved it, and for no other reason. They broke he mold when they made Joe Meyers hat's for sure.

The complete list of USAC races at Meyer:

October 11, 1959, 50 laps, Sprint Car (Midwest), won by A.J. Foyt

November 22, 1959, 100 laps, Midget, won by Gene Force

December 6, 1959, 100 laps, USAC/ARCA Stock Car, won by Harold Smith

March 20, 1960, 30 laps, Sprint Car (Midwest), won by Don Branson

April 10, 1960, 50 laps, Midget, won by Dale Swaim

October 23, 1960, 50 laps, Sprint Car (Midwest), won by Parnelli Jones

Parnelli was hard to beat in that 51 car. The Fike Plumbing Special. A Chevy powered car that drove by the Offys.

I know this, when you sat in that car Mark, you were sitting in a piece of racing history. that car ran all over the country.

Edited by jakdad

Y'all remember that IMCA stock car event they had out at Arrowhead in Oct of '51. It was two days of racing, the 27th and 28th. I am sure of the dates because Sunday was my fathers birthday, and we hada car in the race, driven by my uncle Bobby. What a marathon. We ran a 100 laps on Saturday, which Eddie Harrisons won in his Olds, and the 150 laps on Sunday, which Eddie won again. and then a 25 lap trophy dash, that Pat Kirkwood won. Man what a show. Arrowhead was packed to the rafters, it seemed like everybody in Houston was there.

Post 418

Tom,

The midget with the flat tire that Tony was driving that day if I recall correctly was a Black and White #5?

I was thinking it was the right rear that was going down on him.

One thing for sure he was melting the slick down coming out of the turns it seems..and floating the left front high in the air!

I noticed everytime he would come out of turn 4, he would glance back at the right rear tire to observe.

I actually have an autograph from Tony that day along with AJ after the races written on a piece of paper.

The next year in '60 Parnelli Jones Beat AJ at Meyers, in a Sprint Car owned by the late Harlan Fike.

I remember that race Mark. AJ was driving the Blue #2 AJ Watson OFFY if I'm not totally mistaken.

I don't think I saw AJ so mad as he was that night after Parnelli took the race. :angry:

And Parnelli nearly caught him. Needed 2 more laps. That was a good race. Billy Griswold was there driving an Olds powered Sprinter.

From what I recall, there were a couple of wave offs trying to start. Parnelli Jones had won pole position, and A J Foyt Jr was second fastest and started on the front row outside. As the speed picked up in turn three, Parnelli "appeared" to jump the start, possibly with a little help from his friend alongside. When the green flag waved, on about the third attempt, Parnelli's car was slow gaining speed and dropped to last place before "clearing out", and then set sail, passing everyone except A J. However, he was gaining fast in the #51 Sprint Car, and would have caught the #2 A J Watson Sprint Car driven by A J Foyt Jr in a couple of laps. But, passing A J that day would not have been easy. However, another ten laps would have been very interesting. Still a great show!

Changing gears again. Does anyone remember the names of the ladies that worked the pit concession stand. I think it was a lady and her daughter. Anyway they were always very nice to us no matter what kind of crappy mood we were in. Also the hot dogs were great!!! :D

Well, This is the day we should be running the "Liberty Bell 300". Or maybe next Saturday. Our track is gone and most of the cars. Another fine mess! Maybe some of the Meyer family will see our rantings and rebuild the track as a tribute to "Mr. Joe". It could be a museum and have occasional nostalgia races. Oh well, I would show up and I have a feeling a lot of you would too.........................

Edited by jakdad

Man I had forgot all about that, & Ronnie & I were talking about that race a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't it be great if someone would rebuild the 1/2 mile & some oldtimers, like me & Jimmy, Denny, Larry & Jerry would build some old replica modifieds? Probably couldn't find enough 38 chev bodies though.Sure would be a kick though.