Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

This was some crazy stuff here. Evidently Ed Hamblin was wanting to mix it up a bit and dreamed up a hot dog race. We ran a few laps then got a flag and had to stop on the back straight and jump out of the car and eat a stale hot dog and drink a coke then get back in the car and buckle up and finish the race. I don't remember the guy on the left but next is Phil Chronin and behind him is Bob Foster then Tony Barcelona and I was first out. That was some really nasty dogs and Phil and Tony were having problems getting it down. I did the smart thing and dunked the dog in the coke which it immediately drank my coke it was so dry. We did have some fun though.

post-3-1289783711.jpg

post-3-1289783715.jpg

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
I know it wasn't MJ's old #5 pictured here. MJ actually flipped the #5 sometime after this accident as posted on my website. I will copy and paste to hear for everyone to see very soon. The story I get is that MJ was actually trying to block for Smitty who was leading the race before the engine expired. Charlie was after him hard and was the rocket kid as a result.

It was to the best of my memory a modified with #1 (red and white) on the side that went sailing across the fence. I do recall the #25 car red and silver, but I am almost positive it wasn't that one. It seemed like it was a Fiat Ford Coupe Body Modified although some tell me he was driving a 38 Chevy that night.

I used to study these cars in great detail to see what model cars I could buy and mimick building one just like I saw them at the race track. I was quite younger then, but I would guess it was a Fiat Ford Body just by the appearance of the #1 car going air born.

Probably been too long ago for my brain cells but, for years I would have bet it was a Fiat Ford. Does anyone else recall seeing that kind of body during this time period?

From what I saw and it was so fast, Charlie was air born straight up as he went over the wall with the front pointed up about 20 degrees. What happened after he went over the wall I never got to see. Tatar reminded everyone to remain in their seats as safety officials had everything under control. Later he announced for Mrs Charlie Schild to report to the pit gate. I remember that as if it were yesterday.

Wish I had the photo of the car going over the wall. There were several shots of it back then but, no telling what heppened to them now.

Randy,

I know this is an old post, but the Ford Fiat body reference could use a little more discussion. As previously discussed, after the closing of Playland Spdwy after the '60 season, the weekly auto racing switched to the 1/2 mile Meyer Spdwy/Houston. And, new rules requiring '37 or newer cars were required for the Modified Stock Car events. The change over required new cars to be built, or possibly older chassis's updated with newer bodies. The Cates/Frank's Ice House #2 Modified that started the '61 season being driven by Billy Wade, was supposed to be a '37 Ford body that was shortened and narrowed. Some race fans weren't sure it was a modified '37 Ford body. About mid-season, the modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modified #55, driven by Buddy Evans, became the #53 Car driven by Billy Wade. At that point, "available" Charlie Schild began driving the red & white #2 Cates Modified. I have no memory of that #2 Car after '61. Charlie Schild drove the LS Garner/Gemeg Oil red & silver modified '38 Chevy Modified #25 in '62. In '63, Charlie Schild was back driving for Cates in a red & white modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modified #1. And, the LS Garner/Gemeg Oil #25 Modified was driven by Ronnie Chumley in '63. But, the modified '38 Chevy Modified #1 that was driven in '64 by MJ Burton and Charlie Schild, (in '65 & '66 by Charlie Schild as well) was a newly built big block Ford powered Modified. So, a little merit for your Fiat reference. :blink:

Edited by RETrott

Larry.

I'm still a little fuzzie on the night Charlie went over the wall and it has been a few years.

For some reason I keep thinking it was a Fiat bodied modified but certainly not certain. I do remember a few Henry J Fords however.

Thanks for the input as always.

Randy,

I was in the grandstands, I believe, when Charlie Schild went over the wall in/near turn three. I'm thinking '63, and he was in the Cates modified '38 Chevy body/chassis Modified #1, that was more than likely SB Chevy powered. Maybe you will have the opportunity to speak with MJ Burton soon, and test his memory. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes Jim.....Boogity Boogity

Jim coming out of turn 2 and down the backstretch in pursuit of a 56' Chevy Bronco..

Go gettem Jim!

post-8338-1292544087.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After being undefeated in all NASCAR Late Model Sportsman A Features entered over the course of 2 seasons, Freddy Fryar was finally outran by what driver, in I believe '71, the 3rd LMS season, at Meyer Spdwy/Houston? And, who was the 2nd driver to outrun Freddy Fryar at Meyer Spdwy? I'm thinking I know this from memory, and hopefully I'm correct. :blink:

I talked to my brother today about who beat Freddy. The first he remembers is Larry Schild

in the orange Chevelle #7. Larry took off and it appeared that Freddy was saving his car for a

yellow flag to close the straight away gap that Larry opened up, but it didn't happen and Larry

won by a big margin. This was when Meyer was running double features and on Sunday

afternoons, starting the season earlier than usual. Freddy came back and won the second

feature. He also remembers Jay Gonzales beating Freddy in a heat race and Tony Barcelona

beating him in one of the two qualifying heats for one of the Permatex 200's, the crowd went

crazy. It was always a big deal when someone beat Freddy.

I hope this is all correct.

thanks Byron

Well,

Sounds pretty close guys except a few corrections that I recall.

First, Larry Schild was driving the AJ Foyt sponsored 69 Chevelle, Orange number 50.

I was told the chassis was built by Banjo Mathews

Jerry Schild would be driving the 65 Chevelle number 7.

I do recall Larry winning just about every feature race in 72-73 time frame.

My input would be Cronin and Schild taking the honors with what I remember or perhaps Plowman although I think it was Cronin in the 65 Chevelle painted either Maroon and White or Red and White number 13

I remember a race when Bobby Allison was there with the Coke sponsored Chevelle and Cronin was in the same race. I have film somewhere of that event and will try and get it posted as soon as I find it.

If I recall, the big push was to beat Allison since he was a visitor at Meyer and also a "Big Dog" name to humiliate with a local boy to strip him down to size.

A lot of racing fuel used on that half mile..

I don't recall any double A Feature events during the NASCAR era from '69 thru '74. The way I remember it, Freddy Fryar entered about 1/3 of the 20 (+/-) weekly NASCAR LMS events in each of the '69 and '70 seasons, and was undefeated until '71. As I recall, he was leading and was passed by Larry Schild in the Charlie Schild owned/built '65 Chevelle LMS #7 a few weeks into the season. A few weeks later, Vaughn Brune became the 2nd racer to beat Freddy at Meyer Spdwy in a LMS A Feature. That's the way I remember it. :unsure:

ReTrott or Midget85 do either of you remember a night when Fryar had Dick Trickle drive one of his cars in a double A main? One of them drove the little nova ( chevy II) ,while the other one drove Fryar's I believe chevelle, I think Fryar won the first and Trickle won the second.I can't remember if the night was some sort of special show or not. :huh:

nightmoves,

In all honesty, I can't say I remember that night but I sorta faded from Meyer Speedway after 1975 and just prior to that my attendance was not all that good.

Life got real busy..

Maybe Larry can help us out here.

Do you remember approximately what year that was?

Okay guys for what my memory is worth, I remember one of the best nights of racing I remembered at Meyer was the night that Allison, Trickle and maybe one other Nascar driver was in town for a race at TWS. They raced Meyer Saturday night and TWS on Sunday. Honestly I don't remember who won but I do remember that Trickles race car and hauler were involved in an accident on the way to Texas. He showed up at Meyer without a ride and Fryer offer him a ride in either of 2 of his cars he brought to town. One was a 69 Chevelle he ran on a weekly basis at Meyer and the other car was what Fryer called his "Super Cheater Car". It was 65/66 Nova that was suppose to be super light weight at 2600 lbs? I think. Trickle picked the Chevelle and Fryer ran the Nova, and now that I think about it I'm pretty sure Trickle won the feature that nite. But then again it was a long time ago.

The race you guys speak of was before 1972...72 was the first year that larry drove the 50 for AJ...it was the first Banjo Matthews car at Meyer... In 73 Tony Fasulo bought one for Phil Cronin and Jack Hawes bought one for Joe Plowman...Late in 73 Cronin left Fasulo to drive for Scotty Scott [Clothes Closet Racing]...Tony B. sold the old #8 to Bob Foster and got a new nova from Tom Pistone which got destroyed after only 3 laps when one of the Burke boys pulled across the track during hot laps... Heck of a wreck..I watched the whole thing...Tony had a new Pistone camaro the next weekend...In 1972 Schild won the first 8 or 9 races and then Freddy Fryar showed up and kicked butt... on the cool down lap Bill Bailey played the song ( well I never felt more like singing the blues,cause I never thought I ever lose) and the crowd went wild....Jerry Schild filled the seat of the old #7,owned by Charlie Schild, which was later sold to Rush Johnson...Mike Cronin drove for Fasulo for a few races and then was replaced permanently by Freddy Fryar..I know my facts are right and I think my dates are right ...I am getting old...What other facts would you like to know.........DB B)

Hey Denny,

I erased my original post, but wasn't the original '65 Chevelle LMS # 7 severely damaged in a crash in '71 after colliding with Freddy Fryar and LJ Honeycut exiting turn four and hitting the inside guardrail during a qualifying race for the national points LMS 200 event? I believe the LF spring came out and hit Billydoo. An already in progress '68 Chevelle was finished and raced as #7 in the last race(s) that year. It became the #2 Car for '72, as I recall, and a new body/frame '65 Chevelle was built for Rush Johnson's team, driven by Jerry Schild. The #2 Car, owned by Charles Ray, and driven by Larry Schild in '72, was sponsored by AJ Foyt Chevrolet. Uh, that same body/chassis, after a stock front clip crash repair/replacement, was at Battleground Spdwy in '85, owned by Tim Cates and uh, driven by uh, Ron Breshear.

The #50 Car, owned by Foyt Racing was raced in '73, and about half of '74, driven by Larry Schild.

For the life of me, I don't recall any Nova bodied NASCAR LMS, but after '74 a lot of Chevelles became Novas. And by '75, w/o NASCAR, Camaro bodied LMs also became very popular. That change also allowed for some Fairlanes/Torinos to be downsized to Mustangs as well.

Speaking of Tom Pistone, didn't he show up at Meyer a time or two?

Edited by RETrott

Larry,

Are you sure AJ sponsored the #2 of Larry Schild in 72?

I didn't think AJ got involved until the # 50 was launched ?? :blink:

We need to get Larry Schild on this thread to get is input also.

Don't know if he can handle a computer unless he is strapped in a Kirkland racing seat..

Randy,

I'm pretty confident about that situation. Charlie and Larry Schild built a '65 Chevelle LMS that was racing by at least no later than the '70 season. Blue and white as I recall. For the '71 season, that car was painted Coyote/Foyt Red. I'm not sure exactly when the AJ Foyt Chevrolet dealership began operations, but it seems like it was about that time. I'll always remember arriving at the Bingle shop on a Saturday morning and seeing the late Billy Fitchner "doing the lettering". Billy was an absolute artist, and he and I were friends in Elementary School, probably going back to the 2nd grade in the early/mid '50s. I had no idea that he did a lot of sign painting for Foyt Racing. But, definitely '71. I was inactive that year, but became a volunteer on the crew in '72. Mostly with the #7 Car, through '74. ;)

Edited by RETrott

I was thinking about this ,this morning, and you are correct..For some reason I still remember the 68 and 65 chevelle in charlies garage around 72 or 73...did charlie and bob stiegal build Jerrys first lms in charlies garage? The first car I remember Duggie building was the nova that was wiped out in it's first heat race(driven by Larry) after the big splits....Larry & AJ .....Jerry & Rush/ Dottie

I think Larry Schild drove the RJA '65 Chevelle LM some, before the '76 Daytona 300 crash. I believe the Nova bodied LM was built from some of the salvaged '72 Monte Carlo parts. As for Bob Steigel, I know he was involved with the building of the "Bronco" Stock Car that was driven by Larry Schild in '67. That same '55 Chevy body/chassis was raced as a NASCAR Limited Sportsman in '71, driven by Jerry Schild.

Larry,

Are you sure AJ sponsored the #2 of Larry Schild in 72?

I didn't think AJ got involved until the # 50 was launched ?? :blink:

We need to get Larry Schild on this thread to get is input also.

Don't know if he can handle a computer unless he is strapped in a Kirkland racing seat..

Randy,

See "Bobby Allison at Meyer Speedway Twice", post #1, photo #3. I think I remember that day, I was a tire mounter-upper, headlight taper-upper, and while resting I drove the tow truck. :unsure:

OK guys, tommyo here - I have many, many photos of Larry in the Orange #2 A.J. Foyd-sponsered '68 Chevelle from 1972, which I will soon begin posting - the #50 car must have

come along in '73 because I was only attending the Super events and missed all the LMS events at that time and don't ever remember a #50 car with Larry in it, though I've seen photos

on this site. In '72 Jerry moved into Larry's old blue #7 '65 Chevelle - for some reason I seem to have more photos of Larry from that perior (70-72) than of any other driver - so many

that it will take me quite awhile to get them all posted here - pleae be patient, my time is limited!!