• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Larry,

Sometime back and earlier on this original thread, you and I had a discussion on a Bronco driver named Hutchinson that drove the #90 Bronco at Meyer Speedway.

I had also mentioned that he had a '38 Chevy modified parked in front of his parents house on the north side of Houston. (Refer to page 6)

Well, I finally ran across a couple of photos and here they are below.

The chassis is seen here but without any power plant and from my understaning this was to be Hutchinsons modified ride for the '68 season originally but, don't think he ever drove it for one thing and the other is, we don't know what became of this modified after it left his home.

The photos were taken in the winter months of '67 or early spring of '68..

Could this car have been Buddy Evans old modified?

post-8338-1296440071.jpg

post-8338-1296440055.jpg

In further review, it looks also like the car that McKenzie later drove as the #31 Modified that we discussed that could have been the old 75..? Look at the hood scoop..

Wished I had one like this sitting in my drive way right now..

:rolleyes:

The Late Bubba Nolan 1968

Attending Meyer Speedway was always interesting although, if I could turn back the hands of time I would have made sure I carried my camera more often.

This was taken in the pits in the spring of 1968.

Pictured below is fellow quarter midget drivers Larry Robertson on the left and Bubba Nolan on the right with his '55 Chevy Bronco.

Bubba used the same number on his quarter midget in the late 50's.

post-8338-1296448954.jpg

In the background you will see David Tennison with Blue Shirt on. David drove quarter midgets for a short period of time also as car # 3

Randy,

As for Lee Hutchenson (sp), I know for a fact that he, at least some of the time, lived near Howard Dr/WinklerDr/Monroe Rd off the Gulf Frwy. I just have no recall of him having a Modified. I also have no recall regarding the pictured #55, as numbered. To me, that modified '38 Chevy Coupe/Modified Stock Car appears "taller" than the referred to #31 and/or #75 Modified. HOWEVER, what I do recall, Paul Maire, with help from Bob Ashby, built a '38 Chevy Modified in about '66/'68. That car was numbered #76, but was red, and quite similiar to the pictured car. Looking at the picture, I see strong similiarities to the famous #5 Modified Stock Car from '62 & '63 that was owned and driven by MJ Burton. And, Bob Ashby had a lot to do with that car as well. I am fairly well convinced, that the modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #76, and the previously built modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #5 from '62/'63, were built with the same or similiar plans. As for Paul Maire, he had also owned/driven the #76 Bronco Stock Car, that was later owned/driven by Harry Rushing. And, in my last memory of the #76 Modified, it was being driven by Harry Rushing in about '68/'69. At one time, Paul Maire lived near Howard Dr/Gulf Fwy as well, and so did Harry Rushing.

I do wonder though, if maybe at some point Johnny Mac Pierce had something to do with the pictured #55 Modified. Just a thought, because Johnny drove Paul Yeatts' #55 Bronco in the mid '60s.

So, for my nickel, I would think the pictured #55 Modified, if not the former MJ Burton car, is likely the Paul Maire/Bob Ashby built #76 from about '67/'68. ;)

As for Buddy Evans, I remember him driving two modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modifieds #55, in the early/mid '60s. The first car was orange & white, and became the #53 Car in mid season '61. The other car I recall, was slightly smaller after modifications, and unique among those Modifieds, the B post was left in place. Painted orange, I don't know what became of the later car. :unsure:

Edited by RETrott

Thanks Larry,

I don't recall the modified running at all and maybe someone out there can help us out here..

Lee Hutchinson did not live near me but his younger brother did and that's why I was thinking this car belonged to Lee. At least his younger brother claimed it was Lee's although I think we both agree that Lee never drove this car.

It appears it had a 427 FORD engine in it at one time.

In 1967 I remember Paul Maire driving a RED '37 Chevy that was numbered with a big white 2 and had silver wheels.

He pitted near Charlie Ray on the front stretch as I also recall he didn't drive it for long..

Well, at least we found the long lost photos I've been looking for.. :rolleyes:

NASCAR Late Model Sportsman, '71. Owned/built by Charlie Schild, pictured on the right, and driven by Larry Schild. Pictured in the Bingle Road driveway, results of qualifing race crash at Meyer Spdwy/Houston for the annual 200 Lap LMS National Championship points race. Exiting turn four, L J Honeycutt, Freddy Fryar, and Larry Schild got together and crashed into the inside/pit road guardrail. Results are apparent on the A J Foyt Chevrolet sponsored Schild #7 Car. As I recall, a crewmember on the #7 Car, engine mechanic George Billetdeaux (sp?), aka Billydoo, was on pit road just behind the guardrail near the soon to be crash area. He turned to attempt to run, and was struck in the uh, behind by the #7 left front coil spring that had flown over the guardrail. He had a painful, but not too serious, injury. An accident, I don't know if anyone was to blame. Lettering on the #7 car was done by the late Billy Fitchner, an old elementary school friend of mine from the 50s.

Billy Fitchner?? I graduated Sam Houston High School with him! Small world!!

Randy,

As for Lee Hutchenson (sp), I know for a fact that he, at least some of the time, lived near Howard Dr/WinklerDr/Monroe Rd off the Gulf Frwy. I just have no recall of him having a Modified. I also have no recall regarding the pictured #55, as numbered. To me, that modified '38 Chevy Coupe/Modified Stock Car appears "taller" than the referred to #31 and/or #75 Modified. HOWEVER, what I do recall, Paul Maire, with help from Bob Ashby, built a '38 Chevy Modified in about '66/'68. That car was numbered #76, but was red, and quite similiar to the pictured car. Looking at the picture, I see strong similiarities to the famous #5 Modified Stock Car from '62 & '63 that was owned and driven by MJ Burton. And, Bob Ashby had a lot to do with that car as well. I am fairly well convinced, that the modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #76, and the previously built modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #5 from '62/'63, were built with the same or similiar plans. As for Paul Maire, he had also owned/driven the #76 Bronco Stock Car, that was later owned/driven by Harry Rushing. And, in my last memory of the #76 Modified, it was being driven by Harry Rushing in about '68/'69. At one time, Paul Maire lived near Howard Dr/Gulf Fwy as well, and so did Harry Rushing.

I do wonder though, if maybe at some point Johnny Mac Pierce had something to do with the pictured #55 Modified. Just a thought, because Johnny drove Paul Yeatts' #55 Bronco in the mid '60s.

So, for my nickel, I would think the pictured #55 Modified, if not the former MJ Burton car, is likely the Paul Maire/Bob Ashby built #76 from about '67/'68. ;)

As for Buddy Evans, I remember him driving two modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modifieds #55, in the early/mid '60s. The first car was orange & white, and became the #53 Car in mid season '61. The other car I recall, was slightly smaller after modifications, and unique among those Modifieds, the B post was left in place. Painted orange, I don't know what became of the later car. :unsure:

I agree - the #55 car does look "taller" - perhaps it was "remodified" to become the #75 and #31??!

Tommyo,

I'm still somewhat puzzled by the modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car #31, painted blue and id'd as being driven, at least some, by Jimmy McKenzie. Maybe he knows, and will pass along some info. But, my foggy memory is sometimes quite clear, and I definitely remember a modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car that strongly resembled the MJ Burton #5 Car from '62/'63, that was built in about '66/'68 and was driven by Paul Maire and later by Harry Rushing. That car was red, and at least when Harry drove it, was #76. Although originally mass produced, the cars were reconstructed by hand. And, most were somewhat unique from the others. Very few were identical, but a few were very close. :ph34r:

You are absolutely right about the #55 car looking almost exactly like the #5/#2 cars. I wasn't here between August '65 and August '69, except for maybe a couple of races in

mid '66, so I wasn't familiar with Paul Maire or Harry Rushing driving (possibly) that car - I can't add much to solve the mystery - but the Burton/Minor connection is definately there!

While you're here, I also missed the last half of the '73 season, and All off them after that. I missed all the Camaro's at Meyer - I've seen the photos posted here - Were they part of

the "new" Broncos, the 6-cylinder cars that were supposed to cut down on costs? Was Meyer even a NASCAR track back then?

tommyo

Well Tommyo, I had a long winded reply, but a power skip did away with it. And, with a typing speed of about 60 wph, those long posts take awhile.

In any event, Meyer Spdwy/Houston was NASCAR sanctioned from '69 thru '74. After that, under NARL rules, Camaro/Firebird & Mustang bodies were allowed. Nova bodied Late Models were popular also, but by that time they may have been legal in NASCAR as well.

The 70s era Bronco Stock Cars were L6 engines, factory matching, and I believe limited to 250 cid. Although allowed, the larger body/chassis cars were at a disadvantage against the Chevy IIs/Novas, Falcons, Mustangs, and Camaros/Firebirds. That class began in, I believe, '75. Maybe Darrel will add some detail regarding the specific rules, but I believe they were restricted to 70 series, "capped" street tires. :unsure:

RETrott and TommyO,

The cars were limited to 260 C.I.. We used 250 inch chevys bored 60 over and they came out to about 256 C. I.'s. In 1975/76 we were allowed to run 60 series tires. Then in 77 they went to 70 series I believe to help reduce cost more. Of course as racers we would have loved to run small V-8's but then the cost would have gone up. On a side note I finally found the few pictures from Playland Park that dad had. I'll try to get them posted on the Playland thread as soon as time allows.

Darrell

To add to the modified #55. I started attending Meyer in 1965 and I believe this was

the car that was Walter Ballard's #5 that year. As I remember this car was taller than

any other car out there and was powered by a 427 Ford and sponsered by Republic Ford.

The car was painted red and from listening to other fans we were told that it was Burton's

old car, we never got to see M.J. or Don Burton race at Meyer and I don't know if it was

actually thier car or people thought that because it was number 5. After Ballard built his

new car the 5 became the #55 driven by a driver announced as Freemon Neal. Thats the

way I remember it, however theres no way to know what cars were sold off to build new

cars and which cars were updated with new sheet metal and continued with the same

owner or driver. With the exception of the #1 Schild coupe and the #7 Blumrick coupe

it appears to me that a lot of the modifieds went through several drivers and different

engines and paint jobs from 1965 to the end of the modifieds. One key to the identity of

the #31 coupe are the small slots where the roof meets the quarter panel trunk area.

Ya'll have solved one question for me, I remember the Paul Maire #2 and the #76 that

Rushing drove, I did not know it was the same car. I do remember that it was destroyed

when Rushing rolled several times out of the fourth turn and he spent some time in the

hospital. I think Harry did not drive again until he drove a late model.

Thanks Byron,

The 55 Modified does strongly resemble the old modified driven by MJ Burton as to it's height and could have very well been the same car.

I didn't attend much in '65 but the car belonging to Ballard makes since,.. he powered his mods with Fords.

Many possibilities and we do appreciate your input on # 55.

Somewhere among these posts/topics, is a picture of a Modified multi-car tangle, from about '64/'65, and there is a '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #5 that is id'd as being driven by Walter Ballard. One of the "taller" cars, very similiar to the former MJ Burton #5 Car, but a different style number. I have no memory of that car and driver combination. But, with my focus on the Bronco Stock Cars during that time frame, it's very likely I just didn't "absorb" it.

As for Harry Rushing's Modified crash, I recall an incident where the car ended up on it's side on the front straightaway, and I believe he did sustain some injuries, but I don't recall how severe the car was damaged.

Another "taller" modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified was the #25 Car from '62/'63. It was red & silver like an Amalie oil can, sponsored by Gemeg Oil, owned by LS Garner, wrenched by Sonny Goebel, and driven in '62 by Charlie Schild. It is my understanding that the Garner Truckline/Charlie Schild #25 Car and the Cowan Trucking/MJ Burton #5 Car from '62 were built from the same plans. That #25 Car, at least when driven by Charlie Schild was a beauty, as well as fast. After '62, possibly one of those "splits" ocurred, and Ronnie Chumley drove that #25 Car in '63. I don't know what became of that car, in following years, unless it was maybe "reconstructed" after '63. :unsure:

Edited by RETrott

OK - I went back through this entire post and I didn't find that modified tangle from about 64/65 with the #5 id'd as Walter Ballard - I did find post #261 on page 11 with a multi-car

modified tangle from (about) 1962 with the #24 car being id'd as Ballard (by the way, is that the same #24 that George Nash drove in '63?) Anyway, in comparing those recently posted

shots of the #55 modified with photos of Burton's #5, I'd almost bet they are the same car - Funny, I don't remember Ballard driving that or any #5 that year, but I didn't make all

that many races - The last time I saw Robbie Davidson at Davidson Communications, about 15 years ago, he had the black and white Frizell Pontiac-sponsored #7 of Bill Blumrick in

his shop and had owned it for several years at that time. I don't know if he still does - I've seen other posts here that may indicate other people had seen the car, or parts of it,

in other places, so maybe he sold it - other than that thou, I have no idea where any of these old beauties ended up! It's a shame!! I just wish (now) that I'd bought more of Mack's photos from those great racing years!

Tommyo, Byron, & Randy,

See forum topic "Old Modified and Super Modified Photos"

See page 9, post 208, from Jun 17, 2008, 3rd picture from top, dated May 8, 1965

Followed by comment post 209.

That picture is my only reference to Walter Ballard in that car. No memory whatsoever. :ph34r:

Thanks much! There it is!! I would agree that it's the old M.J.Burton #5, renumbered and re-drivered for the 1965 season . I believe it's Charlie Ritter in the #51 - does that sound

familiar to anyone else??

Tommy,

I think Charlie Ritter was # 15..??

-Randy

I could be wrong..

.Charlie for the most ran mods and liked to run the big Lincoln motors. Another couple of names I havent seen on this site is Norman Cawthorn and LJ Honeycutt. We built him a 55 chev bronco that ran up front many times and I believe he drove for Paul Maire. It was a long time ago but thats how I remember it.

Norman drove an old studebaker or dodge and was a short guy and a lot of fun to be around. He got a lot of us together and we discussed the rules. We decided that we wanted the safety hub on the RF and Norman went to Hamblen and argued with him a couple of hours and bottom line was we all went to the 3/4 ton RF hub. Ed wanted the wrecks and we wanted to race and have some fun.