• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

We need to find more photos for sure!

Just let me know if I can help and hope all enjoy the photos.

Oh yeah, stories are great too if you guys would like to share your experiences with everyone of the Great Meyer Speedway!

Man, what history and stories that could be shared here..

The weather in Spring is less than Spring for sure.. A little Chilly at night Larry..

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Great point.

I can not wait to see more pictures and read about the HISTORY of Meyer Speedway. Reading about George Nash, Bill White, Joe Plowman, Charles Ray Schilds, M.J. Burton, Ronnie Chumley, Cowboy Johnson, and Plenty of the other Great Drivers that spent Saturday Nights at the Fastest 1/2 mile track in Texas.

• 1 month later...

Ed Hamblin

I spoke with Ed Hamblin a few weeks before he passed back in the 90's as he was retired then.

He was so thrilled that someone called him and shared a few memories about Meyer Speedway.

The jest of his conversation and one that seemed to really make him proud was the fact that the LaBonte Brothers went on to bigger things but, knowing they raced at Meyer Speedway must have really made him proud.

Many of the racers disliked Ed and for many I guess had good reasons.

But in life there will always be someone who doesn't like you..

Ed Hamblin as a promotor probably did the best he could with what he had to work with.

As a promoter and entertainer myself, I can see what challenges one can encounter..

RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I missed seeing the news.

Did we ever find out for sure?

Quite possibly the ghost of Billy Wade making a few hot laps..

It's been almost 4 years since I went out there and snapped some pictures, but the only asphalt left then was pieces of the infield "X".

There are no remnants of the actual track anywhere that I could see.

Well, all in all, a very disappointing trip out there. They, whoever they might be, have put up a 4 strand barb wire fence all around the property. I didn't see any gates so I guess the dirt yard is gone. One old building is there, which I think is Ed's old office and pay out window. I was tempted to cross the fence and look around but then I would be guilty of trespass. That property may still be tied up in litigation as I saw no realty signs on it. The old Safeway center across Hillcroft is still vacant.

I would still like to get in there to look around but I guess you would have to know somebody. Abandoned race tracks are very sad.....................................

It is very chilling to be there and feel the silence of the roaring engines, the Sousa Marches playing and "Tatar" on the speakers. Echos of V-8 engines turning the RPMs down the back stretch and sound waves from the open headers bouncing off the guard rails.

It's like a big grave yard in some respects.

A piece of history without any markings of history left.

The feeling was sorta like the battle field of Gettysburg many years ago where history was made.

The last time I was at Meyer Speedway, I made a video and the only action was the brisk wind blowing, a rusty chain link fence, and one faded checker board rectangular square at the spectator parking entrance from South Main.

It's amazing the feeling you get there. I felt like a moth drawn to a flame, only to find no flame.. :(

Those of us who were there will always remember the excitement of getting quickly to the ticket gate and hearing the engines roar as you stood in line. I couldn't get in fast enough, grab a program, and view the large 1/2 mile.

Cars in the pit area were like ornaments to a Christmas tree and all was well..

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing your stories.

As a kid I lived on Heatherbrook drive which was within earshot of the track and I have fond memories of the time I spent with my parents at Meyer Speedway. One of the most memorable was when my dad brought me along to deliver a rear end to Bill White's shop and Bill let me sit in the blue #2 car while him & my dad shot the bull. We moved to Louisiana in 72 but we still made many of the races until my father passed away when I was 12.

Thanks again,

Joe Knesek

Joe,

Thanks for your visit and feel free to share your memories with all of us.

We enjoy the stories with all who were there.

• 1 month later...

I am atempting to add this picture of Meyer speedway. If the picture does not show , please give me advise how to add attachements.

thanks

post-8338-1237520897.jpg

Edited by Midget 85
resized to fit forum boundaries

• 2 weeks later...
I am atempting to add this picture of Meyer speedway. If the picture does not show , please give me advise how to add attachements.

thanks

post-8338-1237520897.jpg

Is this a pic of Ronnies car when he and MJ went over the fence together?

Regarding post #356:

Jim, it is Pancho Locklin's brand new Modified that was being driven by Bob Foster in a pre-season practice session in about '64 or '65. After a very few laps, the car ended up on the wall nose first at turn one/two and continued over the wall. It may have been on the same day as an ARCA Late Model Race. Pictured off the left rear is Don Myers Sr and on the right side with cap is Jack Witt.

Jim,

I was thinking it was turn three also but Larry is probably right on this photo as being turn one.

There were several out of the Ball Park mishaps at Meyer Speedway with Charlie Schild in 61-62 in turn three the first I recall.

It was Charlie and I think either Ronnie or Smitty that made that one happen. I did have a photo posted somewhere and will try to get it posted again on the thread.

It will take a little time to get the photos back up and edited since we lost many of them in the forum transfer.

Almost makes you cry to see these old war monsters torn up doesn't it?

That was a fast track! :blink:

-Randy

Morning All,

Larry is right. That was the day of the ARCA race and they would let the modifieds come in for a shake down of sorts before the season started. I belive the throttle stuck and that is what sent Bob over the wall. It's was a real shame as that was a brand new mod. I still have that picture somewhere I cut out of the newspaper the following Monday morning. Does anyone remember or have pictures of Charlie Kettles "new" ride he brought out one year for the shake down run. I remember him coming down the front stretch wide open and throttle sticking. He went into the wall with the thing still wide open, spun down between one and two into the infield and the motor ran wide open till it blew!! When he hit the wall the body allmost flew off the car. My dad said it was just wired down and he said the roll cage was made out of water pipe. Amazing he wasn't killed.

Darrell

• 3 weeks later...

RE:Post #354,

Appears to be '65 Meyer Spdwy/Houston. Probably Ed Trahan in the #20 Buick, most likely Harold Davis in the #47 Chevy, and Don Myers Sr in the #80 Studebaker. Bronco (Sportsman) Stock Cars.

Edited by RETrott

Jim,

I was not at the races at Meyer Spdwy/Houston the night in '62 when M J Burton and Ronnie Chumley "locked wheels" and crashed with both cars going over the wall, but I thought it was in turn 1/turn 2. However I did tag along with Tracy when he went to the Burton race shop the next day. The full crew was there working diligently, and most of the repairs were well underway. The frame was straightened and the body hull was off, dents repaired and awaiting bondo. That #5 Modified was a very well built car, and was the championship winning car that same year. But, I believe the Chumley driven #16 Pancho Locklin Modified was not repaired. At least that's the way I remember it. Amazingly, I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of that crash/aftermath.