• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim,

Do we know where these cars are?

Is this a recent photo?

Looks like the Hill country in Texas..?

I believe Rush Johnson passed away in the late 70s/early 80s after suffering a stroke. Worth mentioning, in '74, his '72 Monte Carlo Stock Car ran about 5 NASCAR Cup races driven by Jerry Schild and had an 8th place finish in the '74 Southern 500 at Darlington, SC, on Labor Day weekend.

I knew he passed away in the '70's, but I didn't know that he had some Cup exposure. I started with this company when it was still Rush Johnson Associates in '97. Through various buyouts, mergers, etc. it has been named CTC Services (RJA), CTC Services, Bateman Chapman Limited and is now Charles Taylor adjusting, Energy. Not much of a chance of us sponsoring any racing efforts, other than what I do myself. Thanks for that part of the history.

Carey

Manvel,

Here is the rundown of Schild in the Johnson Cup car.

Click this link:

Schild

If you make it to HMP, seek out Larry or Jerry Schild; both raced for Rush at various times. The last time I was at Houston (Last Year), I spent over an hour chatting with old friend Larry Schild, and he had some very fond memories of his years racing for Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

post-4772-1220063079_thumb.jpgpost-4772-1220063079_thumb.jpg

DO WE HAVE BRONOS? Does a wild bear crap in the woods?

SONATA_VOLUME-66.jpg

This is actually over at Almeda I think, either that or Moody and Clarey...Good ole Sid Hoover

After further review, I believe that is my old car that he is standing by. I sold it to Sid and his partner when we got our new car built. Looks like they did all the body work to get ready for a new season.

Edited by jakdad

• 1 month later...

Post 87 in "more meyer spdwy super mod photos" has pics of the 11 car. Fred owned it at that time. I read in here somewhere that it was the sister car to Charles Ray's 1 car and they were built by the same person. I don't recall drivers in the 11 but I think there were several. It was eventually painted in a reverse image of Charlie's car.

Jim,

That's the same #11 car pictured in this section. Group picture, possibly at the shop, and appears to a modified '37 Chevy Coupe body/frame. Charles Ray Schild, as I recall, drove the Cates/Frank's Ice House Modified Stock Car #1 in '63, and built his own Modified Stock Car in '64, also #1, but with the 427 Ford engine. Both of those #1 Modifieds began life as '37/'38 Chevy Coupes (both '38 grilles), and both had shortened and narrowed bodies, but otherwise not identical. The Schild built car from '64 was driven by both M J Burton and Charlie Schild in the '64 season, and is the same car Charlie drove in '65 & '66. I just have no memory of the pictured #11 Car, that appears to be painted white.

I remember a #9 Modified Stock Car that was driven in '66 by Billy Perran that was quite similiar in looks to the Schild #1 Modified from that same time frame, although I believe the #9 had a SB Chevy motor, and the white & red/red & white were opposite, but I am completely blank regarding the pictured #11 Modified with Fred Furlough and crew, or any other '37/'38 modified Chevy Coupe body/frame Modified #11 from the '60s. Maybe one of those "Long Drivers" will stop by and leave a little info.

Edited by Midget 85

Sorry Jim, I just don't remember any modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car that was #11 that raced in Houston during the '60s. I would guess the Furlough Team picture of the #11 Car would be about '62 to '65. But, it would seem to predate the time that the #7 Modified Stock Car, driven by Bill Blumrick, was being raced as a Fred Furlough owned car.

Remember Larry, that Fred bought a lot of race cars. I don't know that the car ever raced with the black "11" on it. I do believe the car was local and in all likelyhood, that pic was made right right after Fred acquired the car. He could have had it painted the next day. The white could stay on as primary color and the red added. I don't know any of this to be fact, but possibilities. I'm tryin' hard as I can.............................

Edited by jakdad

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to Red over the week end. He said he didn't remember the 11 car as it looked in the pic. He said he would call Fred this week and see if he remembered the story on that car. I'll post on here soon as I hear from Red. Hope Fred knows a little history on it.

• 2 weeks later...

CORRECTED POSTINGS

Oopps!

While reading through the thread from earlier pages back, I found a bad photo posting on post #264.

I have since corrected the post and hopefully you can now view it. The postings were way too large and also incorrect with the screen limits.

If you see additional bad postings or need assisitance with the photos, please PM me so that attention can be addressed.

Enjoy,

Midget 85

-Randy

LSSZ Moderator