Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Here is the 3rd of the 4 cars I build. I ran it a while on dirt then sold it to Pancho Locklin and went with him to the Winter Super Modified Nationals in Fa. to help him set it up. John McLarian drove it to a 4 place finish behind the 4 wheel drive rear engine Super. It's shown hear in 1973 at Jackson International Speedway in Jackson, Mississippi. with Paige Reynolds driving it.

post-11993-1269453788.jpeg

post-11993-1269453811.jpg

Edited by JohnnyMac

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about another old Wood Bros ride!

As I mentioned here on a previous post

I'm going to try to do a model of Red's

#3 modified (the "falcon fendered 427 version)

if I can gather enough info. I have seen the

pictures that are on this forum,and someone mentioned

a post that had more info but I can't find it

One of the best looking mods I ever saw

Also got a resin body 55 Ford sedan body

ordered to do a Bronco car,maybe #8,#24 or ?

Thanks for looking

post-10804-1269465399.jpg

Edited by mr427

• 4 months later...
I remember a red & white late 30s modified coupe bodied Modified Stock Car # 23 similiar to the car pictured in b & w with severe front end damage, so I am curious as to the owner and builder of the pictured car. I am also curious as to how often Billy Wade could have competed in local events in '65, considering his accomplishments in NASCAR GN/Cup in '64 and prospects for '65, before his tire test session accident. The pictured # 23 Car is however, somewhat similiar in appearance to the orange & white # 53 Modified Stock Car driven by Billy Wade in previous years. Like I say, just curious, and by that time my focus was mostly on the Bronco Stock Cars, so if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong.

That #23 was my favorite car and driver when Iwas a kid. My Dads friend, Buddy Plakluda ( i hope thats how you spell it!) owned and built it. I sat in that car many times at his shop playing Jimmy Willis, until one time they actually fired the engine while i was in it. I didn't want to play anymore after that. I'm not exactly sure where the shop was , but I think it was on Anderson rd. Very small one bay garage. We lived off old 288 and later moved to Fondren Park where you could hear the races whether you were at the track or not. Usually we were there. One of the last races I went to at Meyer was the NASCAR race in '71. I got to meet Richard Petty.

• 1 month later...

Hey fellas,

Your friendly moderator here..

To keep our forum neat and orderly we are requesting everyone to post on the topics already started for each topic.

It is easier to find and keeps the existing threads from falling in the cracks.

We have several threads and topics all talking about the same thing so, just pretend you are writing another chapter to the existing book.

Some of our readers will miss the multiple postings and may not see your posting if they are scattered or given another title.

Example: If you have photos or comments to add to Meyer Speedway then scroll down to the subject and continue your thread.

This keeps the forums running smoothly and also interesting instead of starting multiple titles.

Kinda like placing your tools back in the box where you can find them.

Each time someone makes a post to an established title, it will bring the thread to the top of the page and also continues the interesting topic for all to follow and insert their own comments.

When a new subject is created, it will start a whole new topic and therefore the subject matter is filtered all through the forums and loses it's characteristics. Thus the subject matter becomes scattered.

If you don't find an appropriate title that fits your post than by all means create a new subject.

Everyone is doing great with the info and by all means keep the info coming.

Have fun! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

Guess who's Bronco this is that raced at Meyer Speedway.

Here you go Jim, Hope this brings back a few memories for you!

I cleaned up the photo the best I could ..

Noticed you forgot to mow the grass in those days..not a yard man I can see

post-8338-1285393842.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jim's Bronco 8

Hey everyone, look at this handsome pilot at Meyer Speedway.

Give us info here Jim. What year was this?

Facts on the old Ford..c'mon, you can tell us your racing secrets now.. :rolleyes:

Like that racing uniform..

post-8338-1289006348.jpg

Been trying to get on this board for a while and finally got all the info to regester. I have quiet a few shots from meyers. We ran out there in the 60's and then I went to dirt tracks and a little back and forth.I will have to learn all the in's and outs on this message board and how to navigate it . I enjoyed reading all the older post and will start looking at the pictures tomorrow.

Yes, it's me and still hanging in there. I just found this forum while surfing the web. Interesting that its been here this long and I just found it. Funny thing is I have googled Meyers many times in the past and it never brought this forum up until yesterday.I have a old book with a lot of the old pictured from the speedway and will try to scan a few and post them.

SONATA_VOLUME-66.jpg

This is actually over at Almeda I think, either that or Moody and Clarey...Good ole Sid Hoover

The pictured 18 car was taken at Almeda and was owned by Ray W pictured by the car. I believe I have some shots of sid and will try to find them and scan.

Ray,

When you google always refer to "Meyer" Speedway.

It has often been referred to as Meyers but as long as I went out there I never saw an "S" added to Meyer..

Joseph F. Meyer built Meyerland Shopping Center as well for those that were not familiar with the history.

Welcome to Lone Star Speedzone and good to see you here finally.

Scan some of the photos you have and get em up when you have the time.

If you need help, let me know.

Thanks Randy--I didn't know you were Midget 85 but Thanks for the offer. I can do some scanning but I have many pictures and will start and do a few at a time. We were at the Niftee event Saturday but you were busy every time Carl and I passed and had your hands full so we didnt want to add to the confusion LOL It was a little cool but we figured it was going to be and had some heavy duty jackets. The show was good and a made the last event fun for every one that was there. Don't forget the January Lucky rod run. We have it in out plans "to do" and its always plenty of old hotrods there.

post-3-1289782697.jpg

post-3-1289782701.jpg

post-3-1289782714.jpg

Top is Ray then Don Record who furnished cars and engines for us to build and race and William one of our helpers.

Bottom Photo L to R is Frank who supplied tires,gas and oil then Sid Hoover-Ray -Maruice Hoffpowier and his cousin-We had 4 cars and Sid drove the 18 car for a while then Frank drove it some at Almeda when it was a 5/8 track