Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

I can see very strong similarities in the two cars. I don't see a 9 on the other car. It looks like 41. If that is the 41,who drove 41? I think you are right about the cars probably being built by the same person. I'm glad you found that page. I looked and came up empty. Need more data...........................

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The #9 Modified I recall was painted the same as Charlie Schild with Red on Top and Bottom with White sides and the #9 painted the same as #1

Again, that was 1967.

However, after it was slammed into the pit rail that night all I can recall is it participating in the Liberty Bell 67 race a few weeks later after the major repairs and without a grill..

Like Jim mentioned on one of these threads, these modifieds went through several changes in ownership, paint schemes, and reconstruction it appears..

It's too bad we did'nt have quality movie cameras in those days for great night racing at Meyer Speedway!

-Randy

The #9 Modified Stock Car/modified Sportsman Modified Car is also pictured elsewhere, from about '66 if my memory of that car is correct. In Meyer Spdwy Pics 2, post #8, the #9 Car is behind the #22 Car, both modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupes w/'38 grills. The '60s era Houston Modifieds were aka The Mighty Modifieds.

In More Meyer Spdwy Super Mod photos, post #29, 4th pic from top, the 4th car in line exiting turn 4 appears to be the #9 Car. The 5th pic from top, the #9 Car is behind Vaughn Brune's #75 Car, apparently while the field is being lined up for the heat race start. Also pictured, are Munson Stodder/#57 Car, Jess Tolbert/#22 Car, Jackie Woosley/#4 Car, Charlie Ritter/#51 Car, and possibly Blackie Lothringer/#98 Car. This comes from slightly educated applied guesswork/memory.

On film/tape from Sunday, September 25th, 1966, the #9 white & red #9 Modified is identified as being driven by Billy Perran. I believe these color photos are from that same day.

Edited by Midget 85

Larry you are correct about that car. I reviewed the video this morning and you could clearly see the #9 on it. This was the twin to Charles Ray's car. I still wonder who owned that car and who drove it. I think Jimmy Mc Kinzey(sp) narrated the clip. He said it was 1962 Meyer Speedway but I think it was the Labor Day 100 lapper in 1966, maybe 67. We ran Broncos and Modifieds that day. He said that Billy Griswold was driving the car but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone closer to Billy can fill in the blanks. I thought the Frank's Ice House people owned two cars. Maybe they sold one.

Jim,

Apparently we are talking about different films/tapes. The tape I am referring to was transferred from film of the complete, but somewhat edited, show on Sunday, September 25th, 1966. To my knowledge, the only daytime event for the weekly racing at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '66. Filmed by a camera crew with more than one camera, and narrated by Ed Hamblen and an announcer whose name escapes me. In '66, the Labor Day events were night races, and the September 25th events were heat races and double point paying 100 lap features for the Houston Bronco Stock Cars and the Houston Mighty Modifieds, and the final points races for that year. After blown engines in the Joe Plowman #28 Car and the Bill Blumrick #7 Car, the Charley Schild #1 Car, running 3rd, took the lead and won the Modified feature. The Bronco feature was won by Mike Cronin in the #24 Ford, after leading most, if not all, of the race. Mike's precision driving, and the Shirey owned/built #24 that was running and handling very well, had 1st place under control, but 2nd place on back was some hard racing. During a hard fought battle between Burl Avery's #5 and Jimmy Herrin's #98, on or near lap 60, the #98 ended up hard into the turn 2 wall. I saw that event "up close", and saw it coming. After being passed on the last lap by the season champion Delbert Ready #44 and finishing 3rd, the Burl Avery #5 car and driver were DQ'd for rough driving. But, that story continued after the race, and after several participants had loaded up and left.

As I recall, in '62, there was a #1 Car Modified and a #2 Car Modified, very similiar in appearance modified '38 Chevy Coupes, both with Franks Ice House sponsorship, and possibly both were Cates cars. The #1 was driven by Sonny McDaniel, and the #2 was driven by George Nash. I believe one of the cars, using the #1, was driven by Charlie Schild in '63. I have no recall of either car after that, and Charlie Schild built a new #1 Car in '64, and drove that car until he retired from driving. So, similiar in size, there may be a connection between the later #9 Modified to the earlier #1 and/or #2 Modifieds.

Edited by RETrott

I also have the one narrated by Ed. This other DVD I have has Playland and Meyer on it, daytime race. This is the one where we broke the axle on the last lap or so. I think I got it from some folks at the Baytown track. Been awhile..........................

Jim,

From what I recall, the transferred from film and edited tape from 9/25/'66 was available in '85, and sold at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands. It was possibly produced, and narration added, for a movie/TV program, that apparently never came to be. Aside from the sound being a little out of time, which would have been corrected I'm sure, it appears professionaly done. I'm convinced, as far as I can be, that leftover scenes were added to other videos. Several mid '60s Meyer Spdwy Modified Stock Car and Bronco Stock Car color photos posted appear to be from that day's filming that do not appear on the produced film/video. It sure would be nice to have a digital re-mastered DVD, my tape is getting a little fuzzy.

Larry, I think you are right about the video. I have the VCR tape and the DVD. I believe Ed's narration was edited out of the DVD. I also believe that the video was edited to suit someones purpose. Maybe in the intent of producing a better DVD. All that is beyond me..................................

Mark,

I'm convinced the pictured #84 Houston Bronco Stock Car is from 9/25/'66, turn 3-4, Meyer Spdwy. The driver's name, I believe, is Roy, but presently I can't recall the last name. I also believe the #84 Car had AC Auto Parts sponsorship. The yellow right front fender appears to be the Butch McQueen driven #2 Car setting backwards, after one of his spin-outs.

Hey Larry,

Could the 84 be Roy Tulley? I seem to also remember him driving a #24 that he stuck and destroyed on the inside gaurd rail step thru from the track to the pits one night. I use to have a picture of it but Don Anderson borrowed them and hasn't been able to get them back to us. When I get them back I'll post them.

Darrell

I have lots. I have some programs as well. My sister and I are going to scan dad's pics of the #7 and #45.

I have some of Bill Blumrick, Bill White, Billy Perron, and Ival Cooper with my dad Fred Furlow. Also Big Munson Stodder. I hope to get these up soon.

Chrissie (Furlow) Grotts

Thanks Chrissie,

I would love to see all those pics. I hope you can post a program from about 1965 or 1966. We have been searching for names to put with certain cars and owners. My program is "put away" and I haven't located it.

Oh and Welcome to you!!!

Jim

Mark,

That does appear to be Roy Tuley, but in his Modified. Darrell and Jim referenced the incident when he was in a full bodied '56 Ford that was either a Houston Bronco Stock or a Late Model Stock Car that twisted in half after a fronstretch crash and came to rest on the inside/pit rd guardrail, right on/in the top guardrail step thru opening.

post-8338-1227504006_thumb.jpg

Meyer Spdwy/Houston-1962 Modified Turn 1/Turn 2 Traffic Jam

Left to right: Car #10/Jimmy Willis; Car #1/Sonny McDaniel; Car #9/Billy Griswold; Car #55/Buddy Evans; Car #22/Johnny Hidalgo; Car #24/Walter Ballard.

I saw this incident, Jimmy Willis in the #10 Car had quite a rough ride riding over the guardrail posts. Additional guardrail and taller posts came later. Also, the Buddy Evans #55 Car is following the Sonny McDaniel #1 Car and is barely visible just beyond the bicycling Billy Griswold #9 Car.