Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

I have been researching! Could be dangerous. I am trying to track down a little history on Junior's modified. I heard that there is a possibility that was the Jimmy Willis 10 car. Can anybody other than Junior shed some light on this? I think Norman and Son Trucking is still out in East end on 75th street.

Maybe Mark has some pics of the 39 car. Don't know why he wouldn't, since he still has pics of me spinning out 40 years ago.......................................

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys,

This is my first time at anything like this, but here goes.

I was around Meyers Speedway from about 1968-70. I new and worked with Munson Stodder and

his #57 Modified. Just wondering whatever happened to him. We worked at Shell together on a maintenance

crew. I have some pictures from that time and some of them I don't remember their names. I will get them together and post them and maybe you can help identify them.

The ones I remember are Bill White, Ronnie Chumley,Jackie Woolsley, Jr Norman, Walter Ballard, HB Bailey,

Leroy Friend, Ron Fellows, The Bettenhausens, Etc.

chuck welcome to the group please do post all the pics you have from those day and if ya have some pit shots lets see them. my dad worked on reds super back then so we were round munson and donald stoddar alot. and just this past weekend i was helping reds son with his car.once again welcome to the group..

#99 Modified

Back to the #99 Modified..

I think Mark as the photo of this car after JR.Norman stopped driving it.

It was a severely sectioned 37-38 Chevy coupe body with somewhat sprinter nose on it and narrowed down just big enough to seat a driver.

Later the rear window had beened flared for a more positve escape hatch..

I need to find that photo. Anyway, it was originally maroon with #99 painted on it. I remember everyone in the pits surrounding this marvel of a modified that was highly altered and low to the ground compared to the other modifieds.

Mark,

This is indeed the modified we were talkin about!

I have tried to clean up these photos on my computer but, appears the originals are just to poor to do any good.

I did however resize them and cleaned up the edges. This size fits the original thread format without stretching the forum and also keeps the photos inline with the thread.

Makes it easier to load up as well.

They have been resized to 640 jpeg and saved at 100%

Thanks for your help..

post-8338-1214542709_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214542760_thumb.jpg

I also believe this is the car that I wondered about its origion. Was it the 99 when Joe Plowman drove it? Before this thread started, I didn't know Joe had anything to do with it as he had his own car. Anyway, the 39 turned out to be a very nice looking car.

Jim,

The JR.Norman Modified was originally Maroon and #99..

The car actually was brought to the track as "The Latest Creation" in Modifieds and was on display for all to see by the builder. ( We don't know who that is off hand.)

After all the oohs and awhhs at this very downsized Modified, Joe Plowman agreed to drive it to give it a spin and see how it handled.

It wasn't until the following weekend that the car was driven by Joe Plowman with his engine swap agreement to run the 428 FORD engine that belonged to Joe in the white #28.

So, the 409 was pulled, the 428 installed and Joe would drive the small Modified. It happens he also wrecked the car between turns one and two when Chumley climbed over the hood of the #99 as mentioned above. If I recall correctly, this was the only time the car was driven by Joe.

The 428 was reinstalled in the #28 and life was good after that.

Many onlookers were concerned of the size against the taller body and height of the other modifieds as the #99 looked more like a midget compaired to the other modifieds.

I think Joe had a pretty tight fit in #99...

One comment was "You could get decapatated in that sardine can" as many looked over the new arrival modified.

Well, maybe someone will know who built this one of a kind modified.

JR.Norman actually had another Chevy Bodied Modified in full scale before driving the once #99 car that was later repainted with his markings. That car was driven in the 1967 season before he purchased the smaller modified for the 1968 season.

It was Orange and White #39 also and could have been the one you were referring to above Larry ..and Jim

Thanks randy. You put me back on track. I thought Junior had a conventional bodied coupe. That was his first one and I don't know that I ever saw him in the second one. The first one is the car that was rumored to be the Jimmy Willis 10 car. Maybe somebody will give Junior a shake and get him on here.

Jim,

The magazine picture that I believe you posted has a primered modified late '30s Chevy Coupe Modified #10 that looks a lot like a former Jimmy Willis Modified to me. As for the radical coupe Modified, when I think of #99, I recall the name of Willie Migl. Maybe just a coincidence, or related to the elsewhere pictured #99 Supermodified with the Mopar motor that was identified as a Willie Migl driven car. I remember Willie Migl racing at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, but I have no situational recall.

Without a doubt, the history sections here on TXSZ are incredibly valuable. I have learned so much reading what everyone has to offer and looking at the pics. Some of those pics are worth their weight in gold if you ask me.

I'm happy to help make this section more readable, but I also appreciate everyone's efforts to resize before posting and helping me keep the place orderly.

Midget85, please contact me. I have a huge favor to ask...

Nick

Jim, I was referring to post #74 under Old Modified and Supermodified Photos, and I thought that it was established that more than likely Jimmy Willis was driving the former Charlie Schild #1 Car at that time. I was thinking that pic was about '67. The primered #10 Car has body modifications that, to me, appear quite similiar to the orange #10 Car that was driven by Jimmy Willis in prior years, and the same car he took for a ride on top of the turn one guardrail in '62. I need to get that photo scanned, as it has several cars involved/pictured.

BATMOBILE MEYER SPEEDWAY - 1978

Photos courtesy of Jakdad

It appears we had lost this posting due to technical difficulties but, have been able to post them again.

Sorry Jim

post-8338-1215064351_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1215064391_thumb.jpg

Maybe so. I thought that was him in the 10 car behind the 54. The 26 was on the outside.

We're talking about the same picture Jim. I am under the impression the year was '67 or '68, and Charlie Schild had retired from driving race cars about that time. From other posts, and spotted memory, I'm thinking Jimmy Willis ended up driving the former Schild Modified #1 Car that was a new build in '64. As normal, when dealing with applied guesswork, if I'm not mistaken I could be wrong. As for the #10 Car Modified in that picture, it appears identical, to me, to the Modified raced/driven by Jimmy Willis in prior years. So, it could very well be Jimmy Willis in the #10 Car, and someone else in the #1 Car.

Jim/Randy,

In this section, Meyer Speedway, Memories/Stories/Photos, see post #72, third picture from top. It is my belief that the date is 9/25/'66, and parked stall-wise on pit road, right to left, is the #1 Car driven by Charlie Schild, the #28 Car driven by Joe Plowman, and the #9 Car driven that day by Billy Perran. Note the refabricated body work on the #1 Car and the #9 Car. Very similiar modifications, size, and placement. Even very similiar rear bumpers. I have no connection knowledge, but very similiar in appearance. I only remember that #9 Modified from that time frame, and have no memory of Billy Griswold in that same car.