Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

MEYER SPEEDWAY - WINGED MODIFIEDS LATE 60's EARLY 70's

TURN 4 ACTION

Hear you go Jim!

Modifieds coming out of turn 4 and the ground pounding begins..

MORE WINGS AND THINGS!

MEYER SPEEDWAY

A couple of competitors below..

Need help with the first photo below as to identity in #96

The bottom photo is Jack Watkins #22

post-8338-1213240733_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213240973_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213241033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MEYER SPEEDWAY- Ricky Otts #61

The modifieds we all loved in the mid-century!

MORE...MODIFIEDS!

JOHN McLAREN # 13

BUTCH HARRIS # 24

post-8338-1213241813_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213242069_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213242296_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213242371_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

LEROY HALFIN- MEYER SPEEDWAY

Bottom Photo Unknown..

post-8338-1213243242_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213243419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

I REALLY LIKE ALL THE PHOTOS AND VIDIOS OF MEYER SPEEDWAY. I SPENT EVERY EVERY SATURADAY NIGHT OUT THERE WHEN I WAS A KID. MY DAD (DON MYERS BRONCO #80 AND MY UNCLES LARRY AND TRACY TROTTER RACE OUT THERE ALSO IN THE 60'S. IN 76 I DROVE IN THE BRONCO CLASS WHEN IT STARTED BACK UP AGAIN. MISS THOSE DAYS OUT THERE.

THKS

DON MYERS JR.

E-MAIL ADDRESS (dmyers@faustdistributing.com)

The 24 looks like one of the Indy roadsters converted for modified racing. I'm certainly not an authority, but it looks that way to me.

It has somewhat of an offset/roadster look Jim, but I don't think it was ever an Indy Roadster.

Uh, actually, didn't he briefly, in '63, race a '50-'52 Purple Oldsmobile #80 Bronco Stock Car that was uh, purple?

The #80 Studebaker Bronco Stock Car, owned & driven by Don Myers Sr and sponsored by Jimmy Preuss, is pictured at Meyer Spdwy/Houston from '65.

i thought he did ,the reason is we were friends of tracy sr. and we went over the myers house and he had just finished painting the car with a paint brush ( maybe 2") he was laughing the whole time telling my parents how long it took to paint the car , if it hadn't been purple i probably wouldn't have remembered :lol:

Edited by nightmoves 99

I CALLED MY DAD THIS AFTERNOON AND IT WAS A PURPLE OLDSMOBILE. HE SAID HE A PICTURE OF IT I WILL SEND IT OUT WHEN I GET IT. THANKS FOR THE INFO. I BELIEVE I HAVE SOME PICTURES OF THE BRONCO CLASS BACK IN THE 60'S, I JUST GOT TO FIND THEM.

Jim,

Without a doubt, the shorter wheelbase Roadster Sprint/Supermodified Car was built with the '50s-'60s era USAC Championship/Indianapolis Roadster Cars in mind, but I just don't think it's a conversion. But, as normal, if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong. It is, however, worth mentioning how fast a 150 mph lap was at Indy in '60 without wings/downforce, and those skinny tires and powered by a 4 cyl Offenhauser motor in those old but gorgeous Roadsters. Jim Hurtubise (sp) in a similiar car ran 149+ mph (average speed) in '60 time trials, although the pictured #8 Car looks, to me, to be a '56-'58 version. I would guess that the #8 Car is an A J Watson built car. He built several winning cars, and his USAC Sprint Car, driven by A J Foyt Jr, won the 1st Feature Race ever at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '59.

Larry, I think you're right. That car was probably built as a "Super". I think Roadster everytime I see one of those long tail sections and large fuel tank. I know I looked at a few Roadsters that came down for the 300. Even with the conversion, those were still beautiful cars.

Edited by jakdad

JIM, THE 24 SUPER IS BUTCH HARRIS AND THE CAR WAS OWNED BY CARROL CHEEK. THIS WAS AN EAST COAST SUPER MOD. THEY RACED IT WITH US UNTIL CARROL BOUGHT A BILL HITE REAR ENGINE CAR AND THEN THEY STARTED RACING AT OSWEGO NY. AS FOR THE QUESTION ABOUT WALDO HARPERS CAR AND WHY IT DID NOT HAVE A WING IN 1970 BUT HAD WING MOUNTS, YOU CAN ASK DAD BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THE SUPER RULES WERE SET UP TO READ IF YOU DID NOT STADDLE THE DRIVESHAFT YOU COULD NOT RUN A WING. THAT WAS A RULE THAT HELPED EQUALIZE THE PLAYING FIELD FOR THE UPRIGHT SUPERS AND SPRINTERS AGAINST THE REAR ENGINE AND LEFT HAND ENGINE MOUNTED CARS. BY THE WAY I BELIEVE THIS CAR 24 ROADSTER IS IN A MUSEUM IN FULSHER TX. ASK DAD IT BELONGS TO A KATY POLICEMAN AFTER HIS DAD PASSED AWAY.

Edited by Midget 85

The Cheeks, Carroll and Donna, that owned that super may still in Buffalo, Texas; They might have an idea who has the car.

You might contact Buffalo Tank at 800 259 9253. B-Tank is/was a family business.

In the meantime, you guys are doing a great job with the Meyer history. Keep it coming.

Edited by txtom

In 1967 there was a very radical altered modified that set low to the ground and was painted Maroon with the white #99 painted on it. On the hood was "409 C.I."

It later was purchased I believe by Jr.Norman and was repainted to Orange and White #39.

I remember Joe Plowman had inserted his FORD engine in the car in 1967 and drove it briefly.

Does anyone know who built that car?

I do remember it was wrecked in turn 2 after Chumley's right front wheel went over the hood as Joe went high on the banks as he always did in the turns..

Just curious..

Junior Norman raced Bronco Stock Cars in '66, and possibly switched to Modifieds in '67. As I remember, the Modified he raced looked quite similiar to the Munson Stodder raced Modified from '66. I don't remember Junior in Supers or Late Models.