Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Based on lil bits of info I get here and there, two of H.B.'s Firebirds are in private hands, and as MFBarnes stated, at least one is in restoration. Would kile to know more about the two of them, and who has them and their intentions.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

I have a fellow member of another forum that has registered here, and will be sharing some information and pictures about a Bailey Firebird restoration he was involved in a few years ago. His name is Matt Conte, and he is a prominent member of a modeling forum we both are members of.

I think ya'll will enjoy what he has to share.

Tom

Tom,

Looking forward to seeing those photos and info or story of one of Houston's own HB Bailey.

I used to marvel at how good his cars always looked on the track...almost like show cars.

I remember he was the first car on the track for qualifying at the first "Brickyard 400" at Indy.

I think NASCAR paid him $5K just to show up and qualify.

Interesting enough, HB's NASCAR was the only car on the track with the infamous "White Wheels" reflecting the old school while everyone else was running Black wheels at the inaugural running of the Brickyard.

I called HB before his passing and congratulated him on his showmanship of cars over the years.

You could tell he was thrilled with my comment and that someone actually recognized his efforts.

He was very appreciative.. R.I.P. #36

Non the less, HB didn't make the qualifying but it was good to see him there..

Can't remember who furnished this photo to the forum right off hand, but Thanks!

post-8338-1212350153_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Jim,

I will get the name of the shop and person I spoke to. I was just passing through and saw the Firebird, did a quicky U-Turn and started asking questions. I was too wrapped in the car and had a tight schedule as usual and failed to get all the info.

I will do that for sure.

The man was a fanatic about details. Jimmy and I stopped by his shop on Almeda one day. He was working on his pontiac (I think it was the 64). Anyway, I noticed the precision he used with a cutting torch. When he cut a piece of metal, it looked ike it was done with scissors. Then, there was the welding, I could go on and on.

What a lot of "new" race fans may not know, is that at one time in NASCAR during the mid/late '60s and early '70s, for the most part the only competitive cars were the Dodges/Plymouths, and the Fords/Mercurys. And, that was about the only cars racing, except H B Bailey's Pontiac. Of course, that was in the days of production stock passenger cars being modified for racing, and the cars had individuality.

Larry,

I agree with you about the individual character of the NASCAR's back then. Heck, they looked like stock cars and each manufacturer was involved.

It just isn't the same today

Man, those were the best racing days.

Jim,

I once remember a race at Meyer Speedway in 1961-62 when HB was driving a Maroon and White #36 Pontiac Coupe maybe a 38 or 39 if I recall.

One of the other drivers had put a bumper in him and turned him over on his left side in front of the flagman and the race was stopped.

It was a feature race and I remember HB was so put out about the damage to his car. In the pits, he was chewing on a cigar and making a few choice comments..

Can't say I blamed him, messed it up pretty bad..

Does anyone remember that night?

Yes, he was particular and proud of his cars.

A Houston legend he was.

Looks like the car restored above is a 1972 possibly 73 judging by the grill inserts.

Moving on

OK guys,

Does Robert Deisch ( hopefully spelled right ) ring a bell?

I think it was 1968 and Robert had purchased Sonny Upton's old #44 Modified altered coupe and painted it some sort of lavender purple? I think it was #16 although I know Ronny Chumley had that number usually.

I think he drove the Bronco's for a season and then attempted to move up. Don't recall him ever doing a whole lot in the mods or maybe dropped out of the racing scene.

He lived fairly close to me and remember seeing the old body sitting in the yard at his house while he was attempting to prep it for the 68 season.

Just curious... had a flashback.

Edited by Midget 85

MORE FLASHBACKS..

OK Larry and Jim,

Surely you remember Bronco Driver Ray Withrow?

Drove a 56 Ford in the mid 60's at Meyerland.

Edited by Midget 85

There was a car owner that I has not been mentioned and that is Poncho Locklin [sp] I believe that ronnie chumley drove for him.He had a wrecking yard or a garage in Pasadena.I also remember a white modified that ran at Meyer only other thing that I remember about that car it was sponsored by Frizzel a car dealership in Houston.

I haven't seen Ray in several years. I think he was living out near Magnolia at that time.

The old Frizzel Pontiac car was a black and white number 7 driven by Bill Blumrick. I asked on here if anyone remembered where that car went. It seems to have vaporized like many old cars do..................

The 38'Chevy driven by Bill was still at Meyer Speedway parked behind the main straight by a small building for years.

The old coupes were replaced by the winged modifieds in the late 60's and early 70's.

I think I read on this sight somewhere that the car was eventually given away to someone just to haul it off.

That's haunting..

Jim,

Ray Withrow attends my classic car shows almost on a weekly basis. I see him all the time and he lives near Dobbin, TX.

Has several Hot Rods and usually plays with his 34 Ford Coupe

Randy,

From what I recall, Ray Withrow raced a Ford at Meyer Spdwy/Houston starting in the early '60s Bronco Stock Cars. He was among the faster cars when the Broncos were getting started about then, and raced with my brother, Tracy. After the Broncos, I believe he raced Late Model Stock Cars, and possibly Modifieds, but I'm not sure.

Robert Diestch (sp?) raced Bronco Stock Cars at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in at least '65 & '66, and I raced with him in '66, when he drove Bob Barnes' blue #16 Chevy. He is on film in the 9/25/'66 100 Lap race crashing in turn four, almost turning over on the left side. As for him in Modifieds, I have no recall.

Both of those guys were good hard driving racers.

:D Ray ran the number 46 Bronco sponsored by an auto salvage yard on North Shepherd, A-1 or Acme was the name near as I can remember. He had a 55 Ford with a modified 292 Ford Y-Block. Ol car ran pretty good. After Ray's eligibility ran out, Sid Hoover drove the car for awhile. During that period, Ray had aquired a Holman/Moody Galaxie and ran it in the Limited Sportsman class. I don't know where he got the 64 Galaxie. Maybe he will come on here and fill in the blanks. Been a long time ago............................. Edited by jakdad

Spoke with Ray briefly last night at the car show.

He has hundreds of pictures from Meyer Speedway in his racing days but for some reason will not post them.

Reviewed many of them when visiting his house several months back and some were quite interesting.

Some of the photos relate to a "Hot Dog" eating contest where you had to pit, get out of the car, scarf down a dog, and resume racing. Madatory pit stop sorta like a Drive Thru!

I think "Tatar" devised that one if I recall.

Ray participated in drag racing for a period of time and now is a full time street rodder with several cars he plays with. We have taken several Rod Runs together to Bryan College Station / Navasota area.

Nice guy, doing well, and strictly Ford man all the way..

Ray manage's a Hot Rod Talk Forum

Edited by Midget 85

There was a car owner that I has not been mentioned and that is Poncho Locklin [sp] I believe that ronnie chumley drove for him.He had a wrecking yard or a garage in Pasadena.I also remember a white modified that ran at Meyer only other thing that I remember about that car it was sponsored by Frizzel a car dealership in Houston.

Ask and ye shall receive

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-24-1.jpg

Here's one of Pancho's cars I think Bill Blumrick Drove

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-26-1.jpg

This may be one you are looking for

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-28.jpg

And this is a Pancho Car Jackie Woosley drove I'm pretty sure called it the "Batmobile"

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-29.jpg

That's the one and only Pancho Locklin in the Orchid colored shirt and the Hat way before Jack Roush made it cool.

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-61.jpg

Here's a better picture of the Blue Trey

LARRY SCHILD- MEYER SPEEDWAY

BELOW

JOHN REZEK - MEYER SPEEDWAY

JOE PLOWMAN - MEYER SPEEDWAY

post-8338-1213065235_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213065867_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213066329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

THE MISSING LINK FROM LONG AGO

MEYER SPEEDWAY

A real interesting story here for our Meyer Speedway fans!

The following two photos actually have some history to them as well as a sequence..

If I recall correctly these photos were taken in the early Spring of 1961..or maybe 62 of MJ Burton taking a double flip between turns one and two at the newly built Meyer Speedway.

The story is, Freddy Taylor and myself were at the track the same night and the following weekend purchased these photos taken we believe by Mac's Photography and displayed at the gate entrance.

There were two photos available, so Freddy purchased one and I the other.

Over the years we went our different ways and lost contact with one another for many years after our 1/4 Midget days, and friendship at Meyer Speedway gatherings.

After recent contact we are now happy to share both of these photos to our Meyer Speedway fans of long ago.

One of the photos ( The one I purchased ) has been seen all over the websites relating to racing including this forum.

The second photo ( Freddy's ) is the missing link to the action where the snapshot was taken during MJ's second roll over..

So together on this thread we will post them to show MJ in action in the Pink 37' Ford Coupe #5 and the aftermath showing MJ exiting out of the passenger door of the Modified Stock once it all ended.

Another piece of Meyer Speedway History..

Maybe someone can confirm the other three modifieds included in this shot.

We are almost certain that the #44 is Sonny Upton. The car involved with MJ ..#52 is possibly Lee Cade?

The #16..we think is Ronny Chumley.

Listen Closely and you can even hear the engines roaring...wuth a little imagination that is!!

post-8338-1213238622_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213238670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85